maymyheart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maymyheart
lonelypond wrote:Nice but lacks edgy alt cool computer hacker of the FEMALE sort aka Claudia of Warehouse 13...

Exactly!

njbell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages njbell

We all know what scientist goes in the middle....ann b davis

maymyheart

I call the female one!

Oh, wait.

Sucks 'cuz I would've bought this for my husband and I if there was even just one woman on here.

massha10

quality posts: 67 Private Messages massha10
Allegro100 wrote:If they had included at least one woman (Dana Scully? Helen Magnus? Beverly Crusher? Jane Foster? Temperance Brennan? Samantha Carter? Abby Sciuto? Allison Blake? Jadzia Dax?) I'd be all over this.

Alas.

welll... maybe Allison Blake... She was a scientist and a leader even though me personally always found her character incredibly bland.
The rest not so much...

If you are serious about wanting a female scientist, comparable to the ones on the shirt in importance, it probably could be Dr. River Song. But I have a very hard time coming up with a short descriptor of her (similar to "billionaire playboy inventor" or something of that nature) - anybody?

bwrites

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bwrites
massha10 wrote:welll... maybe Allison Blake... She was a scientist even though me personally always found her character incredibly bland.
The rest are not much of scientists and/or did not do anything that important...

If you are serious about wanting a female scientist, comparable to the ones on the shirt in importance, it probably could be Dr. River Song. But I have a very hard time coming up with a short descriptor of her (similar to "billionaire playboy inventor" or something of that nature) - anybody?

"Time traveler" would probably cover it. (And I wouldn't call any of the BBT guys that 'important.')

massha10

massha10 wrote:Yeah but a alt cool comp hacker is not a scientist...

Changed my mind. I guess that could be one if the choices, just on the overall logic of the shirt. Which one would you bump to put that one in? It seems like the 'socially inept' is the most disposable

apillalamarri

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apillalamarri

I'm disappointed that all of the images are of men. Otherwise I might have gotten this for my 10-year-old budding scientist of a niece!

mixotika

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mixotika
skatimmy737 wrote:Dr. Horrible = three episode musical, prominent pop culture icon.

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker = on TV since 1976, no love.

I agree! Dr. Bunsen Honeydew should be in a square Not IronMan/Tony Stark(Def. A Fav of mine!!) I love Beaker!!

leahnassar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leahnassar

Sorry, would have been interested if there had been ***one*** female scientist/nerd represented.

SeeTheArt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SeeTheArt

It looks like the Hollywood Squares. Fun!
So I only have to do an iron-on transfer of my photo to exactly fit in the center square? Work!

fretlessman71

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fretlessman71
leahnassar wrote:Sorry, would have been interested if there had been ***one*** female scientist/nerd represented.

"This shirt is gonna feature ALL MALE fictional scientists. I mean, why do women need to learn about science anyway, unless it helps them to make a tastier chicken dinner or mix up a better cocktail for her husband when he gets home from work?"

... so here I've decided to say what you're all thinking the author was thinking when he designed the shirt. You're welcome. Enjoy braiding your armpit hair ladies...

tzelasko21

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tzelasko21
beecroft wrote:All men huh?
That's a little depressing.

Yep --- I was wondering the same thing! There are a ton of cool women scientists who would have made excellent additions to these archetypes.

Still, a very cute shirt despite its lack of female representation.

pinsandnoodles

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pinsandnoodles

Great job on this, Dark Villain's my fave, but I identify more with temperamental :-)

kurtfan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kurtfan

No Gordan Freeman?? yea, no sale....

selira

quality posts: 0 Private Messages selira
morachi wrote:Objectively, none of those really fit the bill of recognizable stereotypes. I'm all for equality and fairness but not to the extent of trying to squeeze someone in just to satisfy a quota.

Dana Scully - The Skeptic?

I'm in for one, regardless, but I do agree with others here that having at least one female would've been cool. Given how few well-known tv/movie female scientists there are that portray a scientist stereotype (even if there are a lot of interesting female scientist characters, as others have mentioned), I'm not going to fault the artist for not thinking of one to include when s/he was coming up with a list of favorites. Spock is included, so I'm good. Ha!

Manki

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Manki

It's more depressing that there are few famous women scientists in real life than in pop culture. Few represented in the derby as a whole too ( not just this shirt ). There's still time to become scientists ladies!

-

ReginaFilangee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ReginaFilangee
Allegro100 wrote:Walter White.

Exactly who I thought it was supposed to be!!! :-)

May the Crap be with you all!!!

ReginaFilangee

safyrejet wrote:
4) If you made a mistake somewhere in your work, you might alter the course of human history. yeah don't remind me.

How 'bout reminding you that mistakes in scientists' work have been responsible for altering the course of human history in a GOOD way! :-)

ReginaFilangee

njbell wrote:We all know what scientist goes in the middle....ann b davis

LOL!

bwrites

selira wrote:Dana Scully - The Skeptic?

I'm in for one, regardless, but I do agree with others here that having at least one female would've been cool. Given how few well-known tv/movie female scientists there are that portray a scientist stereotype (even if there are a lot of interesting female scientist characters, as others have mentioned), I'm not going to fault the artist for not thinking of one to include when s/he was coming up with a list of favorites. Spock is included, so I'm good. Ha!

Yeah, I'm not pissed off about it, but my daughter's programming robots right now (literally, she's on a LEGO team and at practice) and if I gave this to her for Christmas, I'd just get a side-eye about there being no women on the shirt. (And she gets enough messages that science is only for boys, unfortunately.)

maymyheart

bwrites wrote:Yeah, I'm not pissed off about it, but my daughter's programming robots right now (literally, she's on a LEGO team and at practice) and if I gave this to her for Christmas, I'd just get a side-eye about there being no women on the shirt. (And she gets enough messages that science is only for boys, unfortunately.)

Your daughter sounds freakin' awesome.

Uber1337linux

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Uber1337linux

I would totally buy this, if only it didn't have the guy from Big Bang Theory on it :-\

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 218 Private Messages Spiritgreen

And the Wirdou hot streak continues, congrats man!

massha10

bwrites wrote:Yeah, I'm not pissed off about it, but my daughter's programming robots right now (literally, she's on a LEGO team and at practice) and if I gave this to her for Christmas, I'd just get a side-eye about there being no women on the shirt. (And she gets enough messages that science is only for boys, unfortunately.)

Actually, it is not really true anymore. Well, maybe in *some* sciences and engineering. In general: For the last many years, women have been the majority of college graduates, (about 2/3 roughly). Apparently, this tendency already made its way into the graduate school. This year, ABSOLUTE MAJORITY of the large number of applicants to our tenure track position are girls. Eventually, some of these will do something important and become famous.

my personal position: I would rather see a famous character like Spock then a token female character. I don't care if they are male or female. I don't need token representation, thank you very much. I also very much despise the quota thing. Because you know what's next - why are there no black characters, no Hispanic characters? Why are there Chinese characters but not Japanese ones? why are scientists from Eastern Europe under-represented? Why are you featuring a traditional Russian scientist and not portraying a Ukrainian one? etc. So now - how many scientists do we put on a shirt to make sure we did not forget any particular group?

I guess it is a great idea though to make a female counterpart to this male shirt. Put Abby Sciutto, Dr. River Song, Claudia since she is so well liked, etc... Somebody offer a clever arrangement.

Also, an interesting observation - apparently, the crowd that VOTES on the derby and the crowd that POSTS are not the same.

vickaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vickaa

yeah, that's why i don't want this one. i *am* a mad scientist (MMM BRRAAAINZZZ!) and i don't need a Dracula for *this* job

sherlock3000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sherlock3000

They didn't put Sam Carter on there because "Hot female fighter pilot/astronaut who can fix anything, blow up stars, handle herself in a firefight, and hack any alien spacecraft/tech if you give her five minutes under the hood" under a square.

I bought one. When I'm wearing it, female scientist will be well represented.

massha10

sherlock3000 wrote:They didn't put Sam Carter on there because "Hot female fighter pilot/astronaut who can fix anything, blow up stars, handle herself in a firefight, and hack any alien spacecraft/tech if you give her five minutes under the hood" under a square.

I bought one. When I'm wearing it, female scientist will be well represented.

<------ That.
That's the spirit! You almost make me want to buy this, LOL. I am holding out waiting for the mad tea party shirt though.

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

Great shirt, wirdou!

PocketBrain wrote:You're both missing the completely obvious (and hawt) brilliant Abby Sciuto from NCIS. Full scientist cred. Also hawt.

I think I'll buy the shirt and put her picture over the '?'

Sweet! ^5

massha10 wrote:Yeah but a alt cool comp hacker is not a scientist...

Funny, when I took computer classes in college, they were all under the heading "Computer SCIENCE".

njbell wrote:We all know what scientist goes in the middle....ann b davis

LOL, this post made my day.

For the women bummed out over this shirt, I dedicate the following song:

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

bwrites

(I edited a huge chunk of this)

massha10 wrote:This year, ABSOLUTE MAJORITY of the large number of applicants to our tenure track position are girls. Eventually, some of these will do something important and become famous.

Also, an interesting observation - apparently, the crowd that VOTES on the derby and the crowd that POSTS are not the same.

Lots of women are doing important stuff now for that matter. But just last year that study came out that said that discrimination still exists: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/25/science/bias-persists-against-women-of-science-a-study-says.html?_r=0

I hardly ever vote or post, so IDK what that means.

And yes, my daughter is AWESOME. :D

theco2

quality posts: 75 Private Messages theco2

Maybe someone should work with wirdou to make another, with only women, or something, instead of just complaining about it.

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to first woot: 1m 16.991s
First sucker:kateto
Last wooter to woot:brpownell
Last purchase:31 minutes ago

First day sales 1537
First day posts 69

mrknobs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrknobs
massha10 wrote:Oh NO total nonsense. I review all the papers I am asked to review myself and would not even think of delegating that. It is our professional responsibility to review papers.While indeed on occasion, some of the reviews of my own work seem like the reviewer had no clue - most of the time, they have a point. if they do not understand what you are saying you did not put it clearly enough.
I was never asked to review manuscripts instead of profs as a grad student either - only as myself, the conference goer.
If profs at your school do that, they are being grossly unethical and need oustin'.

TELL me about it!

They made me do reviews when I was a grad student, and I'm quite positive it's been done to me on many papers I've published.

Want to know worse? Back when I was a grad student my supervising professor gave me a PhD student's dissertation the DAY BEFORE her defense and asked me to read it and type up a one page list of things to challenge her on so it wouldn't be obvious he hadn't even read it! He then chewed her out on the list of criticisms I prepared.

Wait, it gets even worse! He LEFT my one page sheet in the dissertation copy and gave it back to her after which of course she tore me a new one!

sherlock3000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sherlock3000
mrknobs wrote:TELL me about it!

They made me do reviews when I was a grad student, and I'm quite positive it's been done to me on many papers I've published.

Want to know worse? Back when I was a grad student my supervising professor gave me a PhD student's dissertation the DAY BEFORE her defense and asked me to read it and type up a one page list of things to challenge her on so it wouldn't be obvious he hadn't even read it! He then chewed her out on the list of criticisms I prepared.

Wait, it gets even worse! He LEFT my one page sheet in the dissertation copy and gave it back to her after which of course she tore me a new one!

Not all major profs are created equal. Mine was a gem. He is retired and working as an emeritus now, he's still helping former students to publish new and brilliant stuff off their old research data just because he enjoys the work, and we are still friends.

cwfenn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cwfenn

Two issues:

1. Need ladies
2. Need Doctor Two-Brains (because my kids love "Wordgirl" on PBS)

stillfuchsia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stillfuchsia

I'm a female scientist and I'm disappointed in the lack of women too. But even ignoring that, the men on the shirt are heavily slanted toward those of the engineering, chemist and physicist variety. So no biologists or geologists or archaeologists Deep down, I suppose I really just want River Song on this shirt...

geryk6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geryk6

Seriously, no Farnsworth? Shame....