dacrete

quality posts: 94 Private Messages dacrete

think out of the blue box

EwingKlipspringer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EwingKlipspringer

I'm surprised no one has proposed the MOST obvious: a Cookie Monster/Nirvana Nevermind shirt.

But then I searched and discovered that, of course, it's already been done before.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
omarfeliciano wrote:Just so people know, this one has been done before, and extremely well. So no need for 20 of these.

*wipes brow*
WHEW! Thank goodness for that!

I have an idea... it's a matter of getting the album cover just right for it to work.

JadenKale

capedcrusader514 wrote:What's the status on celebrity likenesses nowadays

We're supposed to stay away from Celebrity likenesses as much as possible. Best to parody rather than make it look too much like the characters/musicians.
That said, if anyone is having trouble with mashups, I came up with:
100 Greatest Albums of All Time
and
100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time

marceepauff

quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff

Here's what I've got goin on, though I'm not sure everyone will get the Madonna reference...

Please consider voting for my shirts:

oakenspirit

quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit
kharmazero wrote:or like this

That is pretty rad actually.

oakenspirit

jessisima wrote:This was my first idea. A Velvet Underground / Arrested Development mashup. Has anyone seen this done? This is just a sketch, but I'm not sure what to put in place of "Bluth's". Any ideas?

Can't get much more iconic than that-

oakenspirit

Is this completely dumb?

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
marceepauff wrote:Here's what I've got goin on, though I'm not sure everyone will get the Madonna reference...

Not that the rejectionator has been working these past few weeks, but I think it's too much Peter to pass the parody test.

Now if this was RipT, then it's no prob!

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima
oakenspirit wrote:Can't get much more iconic than that-

Do you know if I'm allowed to put "Bluth's" on the sign? I'm not sure if that will get rejected. I could put "Nico's" since it is the Velvet Underground and Nico? I don't know.... any thoughts?

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

Here's what I've got. I couldn't help myself.

NEVERBLINK by Ape Lad, on Flickr

oakenspirit

jessisima wrote: Do you know if I'm allowed to put "Bluth's" on the sign? I'm not sure if that will get rejected. I could put "Nico's" since it is the Velvet Underground and Nico? I don't know.... any thoughts?

I feel like that could be risky- I've seen many a shirt canned simply for a word... As for Nico's.. Don't know-- yeah, I'm useless.

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain

I think we're gonna see a lot of Nevermind spoofs this week

letterq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages letterq

Oh please dont let me pick one of those early 90s techno eps coz nobody would know it...

LOVELY THEME!! I've got 1 ready and 1 almost done... kewwwwllllll ;)

sleepingin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sleepingin

If I do something w/ celebrity likeness will it get rejected? I've been working on a design & after checking this thread I'm getting a little worried it won't go over. The recognizable faces are about 20% of the design.

JadenKale

sleepingin wrote:If I do something w/ celebrity likeness will it get rejected? I've been working on a design & after checking this thread I'm getting a little worried it won't go over. The recognizable faces are about 20% of the design.

The "no celebrity likeness" rule is always in effect. Parody, even with iconic cartoon characters and p(m)uppets aren't immune.

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar

I went for the cookie monster / Nirvana mash... found it done. Then I went for simple... does it work?

shagg28045

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shagg28045

I looked up #42 on each and it is NWA - straight outta compton and The Bob Newhart show. Not sure how many would get it, but that sounds like a good idea to me.

JadenKale wrote:We're supposed to stay away from Celebrity likenesses as much as possible. Best to parody rather than make it look too much like the characters/musicians.
That said, if anyone is having trouble with mashups, I came up with:
100 Greatest Albums of All Time
and
100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time

enaych

quality posts: 4 Private Messages enaych

Here's an idea I won't be working on (WAY too busy this time of year to even attempt it).

Picturing Katy Perry's Teenage Dream cover...I know she's not an angel on there, but the clouds could imply that. Put a Weeping Angel in her place. Call it Teenage Scream.

Might as well have a signature now since I have something to put into it.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Let's play

"Guess who the MYSTERY CELEBRITY is?"

My guess... Edward James Olmos

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
oakenspirit wrote:Is this completely dumb?

Every time I see it I have to follow up with "do do didoodo"

babeinthewoods

quality posts: 0 Private Messages babeinthewoods

Rats... I'm worried about the "celebrity likeness" rule now.

The likenesses on my design are heavily modified, but pretty obvious. Will just have to submit and see what happens...

bagboy20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bagboy20

I'm feeling like mine are too obvious. I thought of the "Munster Mash" and then "Magic Bus The A - Team On Tour" I would use the A-Team van in place of the bus and leave out any celebrity likenesses.

d0gb0ne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages d0gb0ne
oakenspirit wrote:Is this completely dumb?

No, it's great! Haha.

capedcrusader514

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514

My guess at the celeb is Bill Gates. Maybe Paul Allen. It has to be somebody microsoft.

oakenspirit

Thanks guys! I'm hoping BILL NYE is the guest celeb!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Holy rejections, woot man!

Interesting stuff, but wow highlighting how little I know about US tv.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

texhnolyzed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages texhnolyzed

So, if my friends and familly want to vote, do they still need to buy something on the website first or just register ?

d0gb0ne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages d0gb0ne

I'd appreciate your votes. Thanks.

marceepauff

texhnolyzed wrote:So, if my friends and familly want to vote, do they still need to buy something on the website first or just register ?

Tex, they have to have an account with woot and have made at least one purchase from any of the woot sites.

Mayvn wrote:Holy rejections, woot man!

Interesting stuff, but wow highlighting how little I know about US tv.

Yeah, I tabled my Family Guy mashup and went in another direction. Dexter, if you didn't get it. ;)

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE. We'll also lower the price for the winning shirts based on how many unique voters participate, like so:
2,500 voters = The Derby shirts sell for $11.50
5,000 voters = $11
7,500 voters= $10.50
10k+ voters = $10

Judging by the quantity of votes so far, winning shirts will be at $25

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
omarfeliciano wrote:BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE. We'll also lower the price for the winning shirts based on how many unique voters participate, like so:
5,000 voters = $11
7,500 voters= $10.50
10k+ voters = $10

hee.

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
omarfeliciano wrote:...

Hah!

We'll see what comes out of this, but in my bout of insomnia last night, I had an idea of a FREE t-shirt to a voter if what they voted prints. It's a small cost, but it gives an incentive for folks to spend some time with the derby every week.

marceepauff

Narfcake wrote:Hah!

We'll see what comes out of this, but in my bout of insomnia last night, I had an idea of a FREE t-shirt to a voter if what they voted prints. It's a small cost, but it gives an incentive for folks to spend some time with the derby every week.

Then wouldn't everyone just vote once for everything?

enaych

marceepauff wrote:Then wouldn't everyone just vote once for everything?

They could do it as a surprise rebate for someone who bought a shirt they voted for.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Is it a mistake that the designs ordered by date is no longer the default? Or is that a permanent change? Seems like then late designs have even less chance than before... :/

At any rate, just submitted colored version of this design:

enaych

jasneko wrote:Is it a mistake that the designs ordered by date is no longer the default? Or is that a permanent change? Seems like then late designs have even less chance than before... :/

At any rate, just submitted colored version of this design:

Cute design, and I agree completely about the default changing. As someone who likes to check out the new entries every day or two even if I haven't entered, I find it annoying to have to load another page to see them in chronological order. I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't bother, skewing the favor towards those that rise to the fog early (not that they don't usually stay in the fog, but there are occasional late-comers that do well).

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester
omarfeliciano wrote:BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE. We'll also lower the price for the winning shirts based on how many unique voters participate, like so:
5,000 voters = $11
7,500 voters= $10.50
10k+ voters = $10

Heh, yeah I was thinking the same thing. That and they were being a bit optimistic with the numbers. I'm pretty certain that even the highest voter turn out for the site when it was in its heyday (sad to think that there was a heyday) ever came close to the 2.5k mark. Of course, I could be wrong.

Waits for Narfcake to post the numbers

austinmademe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages austinmademe

I WANT THAT DAMN AD/HD SHIRT...NOW! Bring 'em out! Bring 'em out!

ignorant

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant
WootBot wrote:We'll update progress on the votes right in this forum thread throughout the week.

Did I miss the updates somewhere?