JoeJitsu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages JoeJitsu

In Alabama they say, "Hey, you want a coke?" meaning do you want a soda/soft drink. After you answer in the affirmative the next statement will be, "Well, we got 7 Up, Co-cola, Pepsi, and root beer."

I was disappointed that there wasn't an inset for the R-O-C Co-cola/Moon Pie Confederation. It would be centered on my grandmother's house.

Random Ċrap (2011: 1/25,8/17,9/14 2010: 12/24,12/1,10/21,4/28,4/1, 2009: 12/25,12/9,4/1, 2008: 5/9,4/1, 2007: 12/25,10/25,3/23)
Screaming Monkey 3/28/08(pink/bluex3), 4/27/07(black), 3/23/07(greenx3)
Sansa MP3 2/11/08 (1gb x2), 8/18/06 (256MB x2), 7/31/06 (256MB x2)
Jumbo Universal Remote x2, DigiPro Graphics Tablet x1, Acer Aspire Desktop Computer x1, VTech Digital Cordless Phone x1,
Pinnacle DVD Maker x1, iRiver Mobile FM Transmitter x3, LeakFrog x3, Adaptec AVC-1400 GameBridge x2

regularshmo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages regularshmo

interesting. i'm from canada anf didn't realize this conflict existed. i think we all just call it pop, but i don't think any studies have been done on the subject. we have iced tea, vinegar on our french fries and have you ever had a bloody caesar? don't know why clamato juice hasn't made it south, beats the bloody mary hands down. oh and don't forget the poutine...heart attack on a plate.

lifesucksmedead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lifesucksmedead

I live in Indiana and people around here call it Soda or Pop, but I grew up in Texas and have my Texas pride, I call it Coke and always will ^_^

V'Owl Proud!!

7/11/14 Birthday Random Crap and Shirt Crap
5/23/14 Skemmis Apology Crap
4/30/14 Random Crap
4/22/14 (Hand)Big ol' Catapult
3/24/14 Pet Crap -_- Joy
2/17/14 Shirt.woot Crap
1/16/14 Shill Game Crap
12/20/13 Backpack of Crap
12/10/13 Day 8 Big ol' Catapultmas
8/22/13 Big ol' Catapult
3/22/12 Big ol' Catapult LXXIII: Crapvengers!
First Purchase- 3/9/11 SOG Multi-tool

1fnleg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 1fnleg
novaprof wrote:I'm from Bahston. We call it, "tonic".

Well I'm from Wistah and it's Sodah

morninglark

quality posts: 22 Private Messages morninglark
jespensc wrote:Grew up calling a soda a soda. Mom and Pop are people who raised me. If I went out to the store and bought a soda, they might put it in a bag. A brown paper bag. Then I moved and met these weird people who referred to soda as dad...er "pop" ... and if I bought one they might put it in a bag that they called a "sack" (which is what testicles come in). I was ok until I went to a store, and a sweet old lady asked me "Do you want your pop in a sack?"

The visual still haunts me 20 years later.

If you had gone to West Virginia (my home state) they might have put your pop in a poke.

jdeem4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdeem4

Well, my grandmother apparently grew up calling it a "soft drink", and so far she's had the best reasoning I've heard for it. (not a hard drink)

granthamkk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages granthamkk

"Would you like a coke?"
"Yes, Pepsi please."
Yep, that's right.

shotfromguns

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shotfromguns

As a Milwaukeean and someone who's studied linguistics, I'm offended by the gross oversimplification of this lazy excuse for a dialect map. This here is soda country, by god.

canis39

quality posts: 0 Private Messages canis39

Wow, that NY Times survey absolutely nailed it for me. The darkest red spot on the map at the end was upstate New York...which is where I'm from. (Haven't lived there in 15 years, though).

For the record, I call it soda.

mlpbaby10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlpbaby10
shotfromguns wrote:As a Milwaukeean and someone who's studied linguistics, I'm offended by the gross oversimplification of this lazy excuse for a dialect map. This here is soda country, by god.

And this map agrees with you. It shows a sliver of Soda Republic on Wisconsin's shore

tanager2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tanager2

To have left out "tonic" - oh, the pity! We may be a very small portion of New England that said that (I know some folks who still do, it's not dead yet!) but we know our rights.

Only old New Englanders could make a coke/soda/pop sound about as appealing as cough medicine.

beermanjoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beermanjoe

The map is way wrong, Southern Il. is Soda, So are the parts of Mo. that I am familiar with

caron7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages caron7
philbcon wrote:They missed the TONIC region.

Just why I came on to post. I feel left out. I grew up where everything is called tonic or soda pop.

asgardianodin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asgardianodin

Alaska is a Soda State.

Asenath

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Asenath
renegadetim wrote:I always thought Philadelphia, New York, and all of the New England area called it Pop along with all the other Bahstahn stuff they say. Y'know, Hahvahd, Pahk the cah, Clam Chowdah, etc.

Maybe they call it soder instead... but I thought they had issues with R's...

My mind is blown kevlar!

Awesome shirt, though, glad to be a Coke guy!

I was born and raised in southern New England - some older folks do in fact say "soder" or even "soder pop". People my age pretty much just say soda.

Also, people with a thick accent will drop r's from words that have them, and add them to words that don't.

For example, you might find someone locally who "drawrs" on a piece of paper, and has a junk "draw" in their kitchen.

tggr529

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tggr529

The Coke Federation extends a little too far south. I live in Tampa and have never heard anyone call all soft drinks a "Coke". I think that's a Georgia thing at the farthest. It's soda here in Florida all the way. I did learn to speak in Michigan though, and it was quite the culture shock being looked at like I was crazy when I said "pop". Being an 11 year old in middle school, however, I was quick to adapt. Now I can't call it anything but soda. Fun shirt though!

tpleune

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tpleune
fleamarketadict wrote:I'm a Pepsi man myself. Coke gives me indigestion.
Seriously though, I'm from SC and I've never known anyone who referred to all carbonated drinks as "cokes". We call each one by name. Someone may always ask for a Coke, but that's because a Coke is what they want.

I used to live in South Carolina. Where I lived the term "drink" was used generically as in, "want to get a drink?" And "I am going to the drink machine for a mountain dew and a honey bun." Young people asked specifically for Pepsi or mountain dew and once in a while coke. I am back in Illinois and back to pop, but I say soda pop when I travel.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1068 Private Messages whatsamattaU
1fnleg wrote:Well I'm from Wistah and it's Sodah

When I was in Cambridge, that was the test of knowing if someone lived in the area (college or in general): if they knew how to pronounce "Woostah" (I didn't hear "Wistah" much) or "Wooburn".
Also, Penn State was considered one of those dividing line towns per someone from Penn State, and looking at that earlier website post, http://www.popvssoda.com/ , my friend was right.

nivram

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nivram

You also missed the "Soda Pop Independent States".

xozibl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xozibl

Though I was raised "southern" by "southerners", I call it alternately "soda" or "soda pop". In GA, where we currently live, a surprising number of people are militant about calling all soda drinks, "CokCola" or maybe "KoKKola" - I'm not sure, since the same people are generally militant about pretty much everything, including calling the Civil War, "The War of Northern Aggression". I never knew there were Americans who hated Lincoln (now, not in his own time - every President is hated by large swaths of people in his own time), until we moved to Georgia.....

ricka182

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ricka182

I'd have to agree with a few other opinions.. This is completely wrong. I'm from New England, and grew up calling it soda or tonic. In the military, when I was sent down to Georgia and asked for tonic, I was sent to the hair care isle.

Good idea, but not accurate...

...i remain, he who remains to be...

Burritoclock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Burritoclock

I don't think we should be making jokes about the civil war, a lot of good people died. Too soon.

skemsley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skemsley
sequoiae wrote:The map is somewhat wrong. People in New Mexico do not call every carbonated beverage "coke."

Yes, we do. Have you seen this?

featherz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages featherz

I moved from one soda state (soCal) to another (Upstate NY). "Pop" just sounds so weird to me. :P

caramelarrow

quality posts: 13 Private Messages caramelarrow
renegadetim wrote:I'm in Sweet Tea country and call it Unsweet tea as well, but just so we're clear... There really isn't such a thing as UNSWEET tea. . (It's just Tea)

True, it is just tea, but if I just order iced tea they invariably give me stuff with sugar **shudder** so I have to be specific and say UNSWEETENED iced tea, please.

07/11/14

whatsamattaU

Burritoclock wrote:I don't think we should be making jokes about the civil war, a lot of good people died. Too soon.

After living in the South a few years, I realize "too soon" may exist for the rest of my lifetime and probably longer than that.

ClaudiaM

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ClaudiaM
whatsamattaU wrote:When I was in Cambridge, that was the test of knowing if someone lived in the area (college or in general): if they knew how to pronounce "Woostah" (I didn't hear "Wistah" much) or "Wooburn".

Now it's whether you know how to pronounce Quincy, MA.

(You may call the Harvard dorm "Quinsy" like all the students do, but locals know that the *town* is Quinzy.)

jana0047

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jana0047

I grew up in a loyal Pepsi household in Missouri, but the common noun for a carbonated drink was and still is "coke."

whatsamattaU

ClaudiaM wrote:Now it's whether you know how to pronounce Quincy, MA.

(You may call the Harvard dorm "Quinsy" like all the students do, but locals know that the *town* is Quinzy.)

My memory is faint on that. I wasn't a Hahvahd person, but I'm now trying to remember how my Boston friends said that.

edit: http://talkboston.com/
http://www.universalhub.com/glossary/
http://www.bu.edu/mfeldman/Boston/wicked.html

and yes, I grew up with "pop".

grumb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages grumb

NY/NJ here and soda it is. A coke is a Coke and a pop is an ice-cream on a stick.

fdsudds

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fdsudds

I'm originally from MI and we called it Pop. I have lived in OH for the last 11 years and (even though the map says they call it Pop), everyone I have heard, call it soda. I still say pop
Pop does sound funny, but you can only get soda from a soda shop and I haven't seen one of them in a long while. Also, I have family in different parts of FL and they called it soda, not Coke as the map says.

justcallmesteve

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justcallmesteve

We definitely call it coke in Arkansas. Some of my northern friends have gotten me to start saying soda though as it does make more sense.

kirklandhp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kirklandhp
justcallmesteve wrote:I don't understand why Arkansas is in the pop section. We are definitely part of the Coke Federation!

??? Do you know where Arkansas is on the map?

regularshmo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages regularshmo

one time an american came into my pub and asked for a soda, so i unwittingly brought him a soda water. lol, the look on his face when he took a sip.

krychek67

quality posts: 2 Private Messages krychek67
ThunderThighs wrote:I call 'em soda pops and I live in TX. I'm an anomaly. Most of my friends agree with that last statement.

I grew up in CA and moved to TX 25 years ago and I still call them sodas most of the time, but still occasionally ask for a coke. Maybe in another 20 years, I will have fully assimilated.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 70 Private Messages oakenspirit
fleamarketadict wrote:I'm a Pepsi man myself. Coke gives me indigestion.
Seriously though, I'm from SC and I've never known anyone who referred to all carbonated drinks as "cokes". We call each one by name. Someone may always ask for a Coke, but that's because a Coke is what they want.

Another SC local here- Boiling Springs! We've always called them all Cokes in my neck of the woods-

Unless it's a Cheerwine- then it's just a Cheerwine-

lete

quality posts: 23 Private Messages lete

Egads be to synonomy!

dogar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dogar

I am a Coke aficionado but we call it pop here in Oklahoma. Hell we even have the world famous Pops in Arcadia.

Check out route66.com.

nettronic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nettronic

Lets not forget Renaissance Faire's "Iced Phosphates"

This actually does not refer to ALL soft drinks, but predominantly that is what soda makers use for the carbonation process.

SketchBoy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SketchBoy

Canadian, and I and everyone else in the country calls it "pop."

Or "soft drink," if I wanna be all fancy and technical.