BuffBillsFan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages BuffBillsFan

Not as esthetically pleasing as http://shirt.woot.com/offers/liberty-some-supervision-required, but very tempting.

Darn shame about that bogus Jefferson quote, though.
http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/when-government-fears-people-there-libertyquotation

oakenspirit

quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit

I was so excited for a NASA shirt made of space quotes- my phone failed me- Really cool though- The Nietzsche quote is a perfect start!

wesw33z

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wesw33z

Free wiretap with every purchase!

caffeine_dude

quality posts: 13 Private Messages caffeine_dude
bpr2 wrote:UNREDACTED!!!!!!!!!!!

The quality of this writeup has been assured

We were a little concerned about running today's design because we don't want to get on the NSA's bad side, but then we thought, "Get it together, Shirt.Woot -- it's a free country! This is exactly the kind of political speech the Founders intended to protect."

So whether you agree with those who have cried overreach or not, you have to respect their rights to express their concerns. Will we foster a political environment in which contrary opinion are quashed, or will we be a democracy in the truest sense, wherein this sentiment is encouraged?

We were founded by those who raised their voices against an oppressive government that went too far meddling in the affairs of private citizens. We are a nation founded on dissent. That's what makes this country great, and that's what separates it from other countries such speech is silenced.

Hacker!
And now your on a list.

Please don't delete this post, I am trying, honest!

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 83 Private Messages Thirdbase9
dave17 wrote:It always makes me sad when I see these incorrect quotes.I think many people on all sides of issues cynically slap someone else's name on their own opinion because they know no one cares what they think.And of course once it's on the internet it becomes Truth and Wisdom.Really turns my stomach.

It always makes me sad when I see these incorrect quotes.I think many people on all sides of issues cynically slap someone else's name on their own opinion because they know no one cares what they think.And of course once it's on the internet it becomes Truth and Wisdom.Really turns my stomach.

Sorry I could not resist.

I don't know.

vonmatrices

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vonmatrices

I like the design, but wouldn't this make a better poster/wall decoration than a shirt? I'm not comfortable sitting still for upwards of 5 minutes while random people read my shirt in silence staring at me. I value my privacy.

rdclark2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rdclark2
BuffBillsFan wrote:Not as esthetically pleasing as http://shirt.woot.com/offers/liberty-some-supervision-required, but very tempting.

http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/when-government-fears-people-there-libertyquotation

Right. Even that Jefferson site attributes the quote to Barnhill.

blaineg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages blaineg
BuffBillsFan wrote:Not as esthetically pleasing as http://shirt.woot.com/offers/liberty-some-supervision-required, but very tempting.

Yep, the all seeing eye of liberty is a much better shirt. This would make a great poster though, with the corrections. Or just add this one:

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." ~ Benjamin Franklin

groberts1980

quality posts: 6 Private Messages groberts1980
bftcpa wrote:Is it possible to get this design as a 1080p JPG so I can set it as the background for my Windows desktop?

I'd also like to get a wallpaper of this, with an all black background. I can't seem to download the image, maybe Woot can provide a high res version?

bcobern81

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bcobern81

Then/than kills me, too. Either way, here's a link to the largest version posted at this time:
http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/df22991d-610e-4b75-9f67-5014fd5efb12.png

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

I sit around my house in the nude drawing faces on my gut with lipstick and then make it talk to me with my hands. NSA don't bother me none.

jmikell

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmikell
joshaw wrote:Quickly scanning through, it looks like there are quotes from at least 12-15 different people. Did you only look at the "N"?

Not-the-OP here. I kind of like the shirt but won't be buying it. I read all the quotes. There's an almost continuous block of Orwell and Huxley with a smattering of Machiavelli starting in the N and running through most of the S with a smattering more in the A.

I'd like to see words from more people NSA might actually respect. Criticizing the NSA with statements from major, historical, US political voices such as Jefferson, Franklin, Lincoln, and Reagan (because he was referencing the USSR) packs far more punch than using quotes from three non-US writers.

Also, while I know Snowden's data is the root of this shirt, I feel the Snowden quotes are gratuitous and weaken the shirt. Many people will get it after just seeing NSA and a bunch of quotes. The rest will get it after reading the first two quotes. In fact, lead with the Franklin quote. Then they only need to read the first few words of the first quote.

blaineg

vonmatrices wrote:I like the design, but wouldn't this make a better poster/wall decoration than a shirt? I'm not comfortable sitting still for upwards of 5 minutes while random people read my shirt in silence staring at me. I value my privacy.

Yep, well said.

blaineg

skatimmy737 wrote:I sit around my house in the nude drawing faces on my gut with lipstick and then make it talk to me with my hands. NSA don't bother me none.

In light of this: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/27/gchq-nsa-webcam-images-internet-yahoo

I'd almost call that freedom fighting - blind the opposition!

gdfwilliams

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gdfwilliams
ctguyton wrote:The Gandhi quote says "then" when it should say "than". I can't put that on my body. What will the NSA think when they see it?

Amen!

groberts1980

quality posts: 6 Private Messages groberts1980
bcobern81 wrote:Then/than kills me, too. Either way, here's a link to the largest version posted at this time:
http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/df22991d-610e-4b75-9f67-5014fd5efb12.png

Thanks for posting this, it's exactly what I need. When I get home to my Photoshop computer I'll post wallpapers if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Careful what you post everyone. I'm jus' saying.

;)

beaglebrains

quality posts: 4 Private Messages beaglebrains
vonmatrices wrote:I like the design, but wouldn't this make a better poster/wall decoration than a shirt? I'm not comfortable sitting still for upwards of 5 minutes while random people read my shirt in silence staring at me. I value my privacy.

lol...this shirt is a boob talker's dream come true.

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud
bluejester wrote:Hey man don't inject politics unnecessarily into the conversa...never-mind, this t shirt is all about politics.

Still though, needless jab.

I believe he is injecting accuracy over politics. There are plenty of political quotes attributed to the wrong people especially regarding freedom and liberties... just saying.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

sitalpatel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sitalpatel

NIMBY. It's interesting that so many Utahns bought the shirt.

twism86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twism86

Cool design but I cannot wear anything with quotes from someone who is guilty of treason (E. Snowden). Not sure where Woot is standing with this shirt, its either too far to the left or with freedom of speech. However, to include the words of that traitor Snowden, along with the likes of Lincoln, Reagan and Jefferson as if they are equal is a sad commentary on how people think....

triplebud

quality posts: 2 Private Messages triplebud
LinuxRandal wrote:Why do I need to provide a size? Doesn't the NSA already know all that as well?

Does it say "All you base belong to us" on the back?

"All your base are belong to us" I'm Sorry.

GORDONFREEMAN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GORDONFREEMAN
jmikell wrote:Not-the-OP here. I kind of like the shirt but won't be buying it. I read all the quotes. There's an almost continuous block of Orwell and Huxley with a smattering of Machiavelli starting in the N and running through most of the S with a smattering more in the A.

I'd like to see words from more people NSA might actually respect. Criticizing the NSA with statements from major, historical, US political voices such as Jefferson, Franklin, Lincoln, and Reagan (because he was referencing the USSR) packs far more punch than using quotes from three non-US writers.

Also, while I know Snowden's data is the root of this shirt, I feel the Snowden quotes are gratuitous and weaken the shirt. Many people will get it after just seeing NSA and a bunch of quotes. The rest will get it after reading the first two quotes. In fact, lead with the Franklin quote. Then they only need to read the first few words of the first quote.

Well said sir...

ztrop

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ztrop

I was really hoping this design would be available for print on a tote bag.

ミ☆  ミ★  ミ☆  ミ★

drkete

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drkete

If people paid this much attention to the details of their own lives, we would live in a libertarian paradise. The sentiment transcends political lines. ( Unless one is a total statist) Thanks, Woot!

allenrl43

quality posts: 0 Private Messages allenrl43

The voices in my wife's head told me to buy us each a shirt to go along with our tinfoil hats. We want to wear them to the airport so we can be groped by the TSA!

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark
jthomasw wrote:I was all set to get this - as I agree with the sentiment entirely - but the second quote on the shirt is falsely attributed to Jefferson. Didn't bother to read past that. 'Educate yourself' is not what I want people to be thinking when they read my shirt

Others, with more research, agree with you - http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/when-government-fears-people-there-libertyquotation

crazyswedishguy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crazyswedishguy
elfwreck wrote:N
To deprive a man of his natural liberty and to deny him the ordinary amenities of life is worse than starving the body; it is starvation of the soul, the dweller in the body. - Mahatma Ghandi

Yeah, although I can't tell whether they spelled "worse than" correctly... It almost looks like "worse then", which would be a deal-breaker.

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark
twism86 wrote:Cool design but I cannot wear anything with quotes from someone who is guilty of treason (E. Snowden). Not sure where Woot is standing with this shirt, its either too far to the left or with freedom of speech. However, to include the words of that traitor Snowden, along with the likes of Lincoln, Reagan and Jefferson as if they are equal is a sad commentary on how people think....

Treason in your opinion - a true patriot in the opinion of others.

Let's not forgot it was a bunch of treasonous fellows that founded this country and broke us away from the British crown.

Many would say that Bush and Obama's trashing of the US Constitution under the false guise of security was and is more treasonous than anything Edward Snowden ever did or could do.

waytogo2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages waytogo2

Unfortunately it is such an awesome shirt, and yet the small errors ruin it. Misquotes, over-quoting of certain people, typos. If you're going to make such a serious t-shirt you need to make it as un-criticizable as possible... Also if you are stupid enough to think that this is Tea-Party sentiment rather than libertarianism you are... well... stupid.

basfiji

quality posts: 9 Private Messages basfiji
dave17 wrote:It always makes me sad when I see these incorrect quotes.I think many people on all sides of issues cynically slap someone else's name on their own opinion because they know no one cares what they think.And of course once it's on the internet it becomes Truth and Wisdom.Really turns my stomach.

At this point does anyone really know if he said it or not? Monticello can go get bent

Katmandoo122

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Katmandoo122

I wanted to buy this but I honestly didn't want to after I saw Snowden's quotes. I'm not saying the guy is evil but neither am I a huge supporter of him. Had he stayed in the US or simply not gone to a country that would use him as a weapon (and spies just as much or more than the NSA does), I might feel differently.

Oh well, YMMV

what is a signature?

claygirlsings

quality posts: 1 Private Messages claygirlsings
blaineg wrote:
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I thought it was Lincoln who said that.

thegomezsymbol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thegomezsymbol

I would have been tempted to get one of this if it wasn't for the grammar typo in at least one of the quotes: "X is worse then Y."

ScottFromWyoming

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ScottFromWyoming

This design seems rushed. Fitting type to a particular shape can be difficult, but for an example that's quite well done, I suggest studying the famous Woot Raven shirt.

fabgab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fabgab

I don't think anyone's going to stop and read EVERY quote on my shirt, so while I'm bothered by the lack of variety in people quoted, I definitely do at least want it to be free of misinformation and typos.

BUT! I LOVE the idea, and I really would buy this shirt if these issues were fixed and it were run again! So please please please, oh Woot powers-that-be? <3

acidcasualty

quality posts: 2 Private Messages acidcasualty
kcmark wrote:
Many would say that Bush and Obama's trashing of the US Constitution under the false guise of security was and is more treasonous than anything Edward Snowden ever did or could do.

This.

Someday, on my deathbed, I'm sure I'll mutter something like, "I wish I'd spent more time on Woot waiting for Bags of Crap."

liferules

quality posts: 1 Private Messages liferules

Why they left off Obama's "Give me liberty or give me death!" is beyond me...

Accelerator

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Accelerator
thegomezsymbol wrote:I would have been tempted to get one of this if it wasn't for the grammar typo in at least one of the quotes: "X is worse then Y."

You meant to say, "I would have been tempted to get one of these if....
You ought not to use inproper grammer and spalling to. (jus kiddin')

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

Accelerator

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Accelerator
byrneandy1 wrote:My favorites are the quotes that are attributed incorrectly. This shirt is as informative as my facebook wall! I mean, hey.. Thomas Jefferson may not have actually said that thing about people fearing government, but nobody at the Tea Party rally will notice- one of them probably wrote it to begin with!

Wow! I learned something by reading shirt! comments. Thank you, byrneandy1

Monticello.org