cherylfrancis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis
no1 wrote:sometimes, esp. weeks when a double-take derby takes place, the great and powerful wizards of woot deign to announce the theme for the following derby a week early. in this case, the theme was announced in the first post of the double take derby thread.

Dang it!

leslieh01

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leslieh01

Am I allowed to enter more than one?

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl

Because I don't only do pop culture stuff.

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima
leslieh01 wrote:Am I allowed to enter more than one?

Yes!

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow
Spiritgreen wrote:Rich pickings already guys. :D This is going to be an awesome derby. (I look forward to being crushed like a bug)

I'm plugging away at my most complicated idea. Not sure if it'll come together but I'm burning the midnight oil trying.

Oooooo a cat-dragon! Keep plugging away, and even if you don't finish it this week, please try it as a daily. It looks really great so far.

The fortune cookie, the astronaut, the fishing cat, the octopus..... WOW.... So many awesome designs already in this thread I can't wait to see all the submissions this week. You artists are amazing!

07/11/14

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 162 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Alright! Finally I'm done with this bold Peter Pan inspired slogan shirt.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano
ste7enl wrote:

So... What are you planning to do with your new Wacom?

Winner!

ste7enl

omarfeliciano wrote:So... What are you planning to do with your new Wacom?

Winner!

Man, if only! Thank you though! I have a 14 year old tablet right now that isn't supported with drivers anymore, so a new one certainly would be nice.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 93 Private Messages oakenspirit
ste7enl wrote:

HAIL HYDRA!

Just kidding- looks amazing-

oakenspirit

DianaSprinkle wrote:Alright! Finally I'm done with this bold Peter Pan inspired slogan shirt.

OOOOOOOH! Love the illo and general style!

ste7enl

oakenspirit wrote:HAIL HYDRA!

Just kidding- looks amazing-

It's funny you say that... Thank you!

ste7enl

oakenspirit wrote:Here's one I worked up-

Can't decide if I prefer the retroy muted grey look or the contrasty navy- also- should I add hints of stars in the background?

love the style and it blends nicely into the tee, but the arms feel oddly proportioned

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Done for the night. Tomorrow, half toning!

Any title suggestions?

ApeLad

quality posts: 44 Private Messages ApeLad

I went a little crazy with this one:

SKULL! by Ape Lad, on Flickr

ste7enl

omarfeliciano wrote:Done for the night. Tomorrow, half toning!

Any title suggestions?

No title ideas, but it made me chuckle.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 8 Private Messages benjaminleebates

I am still really torn about adding a fortune to the paper on his head. I don't know if is distracting, or adds to the design.
I tried it in black too, it was even more noticeable...
I'm open to phrases, i am trying to find something that you might see on a real fortune, but yet relates to a soldier or this set-up...

I may halftone the fortune to "fade" it somewhat.

oakenspirit

Any title suggestions?

Ha!

Mog-WHY WOULD YOU PLAY THIS...

The most dangerous game-

oakenspirit

benjaminleebates wrote:I am still really torn about adding a fortune to the paper on his head. I don't know if is distracting, or adds to the design.
I tried it in black too, it was even more noticeable...
I'm open to phrases, i am trying to find something that you might see on a real fortune, but yet relates to a soldier or this set-up...

I may halftone the fortune to "fade" it somewhat.

That is hard- It does lose some of its great simplicity with the words right on his head- Play around and see if you get happy with it, but don't feel bad about cutting it if you think its busy- I am torn too- its cool and funny but- yeah- makes it heavier- and the joke reads fine without it too...

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 8 Private Messages benjaminleebates
oakenspirit wrote:That is hard- It does lose some of its great simplicity with the words right on his head- Play around and see if you get happy with it, but don't feel bad about cutting it if you think its busy- I am torn too- its cool and funny but- yeah- makes it heavier- and the joke reads fine without it too...

Thanks for all that. You've confirmed some of what I was thinking. Sometimes you need a little help to stand back and take a new look!

oakenspirit

One more- My Arya love poem- Water Dancer- any last minute thoughts?

treblesinger72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages treblesinger72
ste7enl wrote:Man, if only! Thank you though! I have a 14 year old tablet right now that isn't supported with drivers anymore, so a new one certainly would be nice.

Your design is awesome! I'm curious to know which tablet you have... Mine is a CTE-440 ancient... And getting ready to expire... :-(

oakenspirit

ste7enl wrote:love the style and it blends nicely into the tee, but the arms feel oddly proportioned

Thanks! I am tweaking it- hopefully it will turn out-

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Still feverishly drawing 'Smeowg'. Nearly together, I hope.

I stripped out the shadow layer from 'Unknown Rebel' to make the black stencil work stand out better. Final change to the colors too:

edit: that should now say five colors

kfujita

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kfujita

Any title suggestions?

this is a game i wouldn't want anyone to win. lol...nice print

ste7enl

treblesinger72 wrote:Your design is awesome! I'm curious to know which tablet you have... Mine is a CTE-440 ancient... And getting ready to expire... :-(

CTE-630 (it is actually 11 years old). I also have one of the very first wacom tablets somewhere in storage. My parents got it for me when I was really young.

marceepauff

quality posts: 18 Private Messages marceepauff
oakenspirit wrote:One more- My Arya love poem- Water Dancer- any last minute thoughts?

That is WONDERFUL.

Spiritgreen

@oakenspirit, very expressive style this week. Your marker pen spree seems to be amping up your shirt designs. :^)

@steven, loving your single color work, sir.

My third entry, again on asphalt for some reason!

For anyone trying to keep track of my artistic multiple personalities, this is the me that drew Critical Hit and After the Party.

ste7enl

Spiritgreen wrote:@oakenspirit, very expressive style this week. Your marker pen spree seems to be amping up your shirt designs. :^)

For anyone trying to keep track of my artistic multiple personalities, this is the me that drew Critical Hit and After the Party.

The illustration is fun, the title is fantastic.

ApeLad

quality posts: 44 Private Messages ApeLad
Spiritgreen wrote:@oakenspirit, very expressive style this week. Your marker pen spree seems to be amping up your shirt designs. :^)

Brilliant!

oakenspirit

Wonderful man- one of my favorite versions of you-

Spiritgreen

Thanks very much! I will try to activate this me more often.

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets

We killed the derby uploader. :/

Nothing follows.

Enedlhach

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Enedlhach

Sigh. Looks like another disappointing week for me.

Vote:

Facebook

DianaSprinkle

Enedlhach wrote:Sigh. Looks like another disappointing week for me.

Yeah, I know that feeling. There's like this strange connection too, like the more I like an image, the more the theme seems like something I'm good at, the more I want to do well, the worse I do.

ARTTTT. Do it for fun and profit! Cry at night in a fetal position.

DianaSprinkle

My last BOLD shirt.

In EYE GOUGING colors.

Manki

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Manki
DianaSprinkle wrote:Yeah, I know that feeling. There's like this strange connection too, like the more I like an image, the more the theme seems like something I'm good at, the more I want to do well, the worse I do.

ARTTTT. Do it for fun and profit! Cry at night in a fetal position.

After doing woot for a few times, The theme has less to do with what gets the shiny metals. It's just a starting point but the winning entries are never really the best expressions of that theme. I like your pixel kitty explosion shirt. I've been wanting a pixel shirt for a while now.
Ahhh... that woot fatigue is settling in.

-

Spiritgreen

I know that feeling Diana & Manki. This is the first time I've ever even had a design in the fog when there's been a fancy prize involved. I believe the technical explanation for the inverse relationship between excitement and success is that the 'ermagherd' part of your brain gets overstimulated!

Hey, what I do anytime derby fatigue sets in - submit more dailies. Then I'm only competing against myself.

EDIT: And now Smeowg is out. See, happens to me too every time. Not sure what the lesson is other than crushing disappointment never gets old. :p

Narfcake

quality posts: 293 Private Messages Narfcake
Spiritgreen wrote:... This is the first time I've ever even had a design in the fog when there's been a fancy prize involved. ...

Have you received your gold C64 yet?

computermd82

quality posts: 32 Private Messages computermd82

Awesome design! The "Critical Hit" version of you has been my favorite for a while. Must have this. Good luck!

V'Owl Birthday of Celebrations GIVEAWAY!!!!
"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds. And nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells."

Spiritgreen

Thanks so much, computermd82! Really nice to hear. :D