fablefire

quality posts: 24 Private Messages fablefire
TobiasAmaranth wrote:Ah, yes, see. It's an expected entry. But she has a convention planned for this weekend. That's one drawback to going to these longer cons, in that she might miss out on a really appropriate derby theme.

Snack on Titan sounds funny, and I'd be curious to see how many votes a reference to that anime would garner. I also immediately thought of Super Meat Boy upon reading the derby theme and realized I would enjoy having a shirt referencing it (but I doubt it would be popular / understood)

HAHA YOU'RE BOTH WRONG.

I have a dislocated shoulder. Take that.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano

This week the theme is very weird, so I'm stretching it to its limit...

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

I'm new here. Judging from just the last few derbies and the comments on this list, it is not enough for submissions to be well designed and executed to gather votes. Members are more likely to vote for submissions if they also reference something in popular culture. Dr. Who and anime are especially popular.
What have I missed?

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano
ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:I'm new here. Judging from just the last few derbies and the comments on this list, it is not enough for submissions to be well designed and executed to gather votes. Members more likely to vote for submissions if they also reference something in popular culture. Dr. Who and anime are especially popular.
What have I missed?

Don't be discourage if you feel the derbies are almost every time like that. Sometimes pop culture is too strong for original ideas to flourish. But take my word, if a concept is strong enough, and the execution is good, it can beat pop culture designs from time to time. I've been printed several times here, and 80% of my designs are all original ideas. I've been using pop culture references more lately because rules allow it, but I always get excited when they rule them out, because we can see fresh designs. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow, but keep trying...

dfunk29

quality posts: 54 Private Messages dfunk29
omarfeliciano wrote:This week the theme is very weird, so I'm stretching it to its limit...

I love it, GMV definitely!
Not nearly enough 5th Element shirts with meat popsicles!

misamat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages misamat

Meat the Forkers, anyone?

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish

The meat in my sub is impatient to be posted...

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Arnold Schwarzeneggandbacon.

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester
sonofafish wrote:The meat in my sub is impatient to be posted...

haha. that's great.

swimmernq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swimmernq
Narfcake wrote:I think their faces could use more expression, though a bigger concern is that the milk/eggs/bacon concept exists on Threadless already.

Thanks for the tip. Looking at the threadless one I'm hoping that my concept is different enough that people would be interested. I'll see what I can do about emotion though.

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow
treblesinger72 wrote:I might find this theme more difficult than lasts week... of course I am a newbie and just have had a few derbies entries... I sketch this quickly, any comments of suggestions are deeply appreciated...

I am always in awe of all the fun and witty designs all you seasoned artists submit :-) ~RE

I love the concept. We call our dog the Bacon Begger. Sorry I'm posting this late in the submissions process, but I think I'd like it better with just the dog and the words Bacon Detector. The rest of the wording around him seems unnecessary. The joke works with just the nose in the air and the title. I will definitely vote for this either way!

07/11/14

swimmernq

Reworked it a bit to capture more emotion. Got rid of my plus signs.

treblesinger72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages treblesinger72
caramelarrow wrote:I love the concept. We call our dog the Bacon Begger. Sorry I'm posting this late in the submissions process, but I think I'd like it better with just the dog and the words Bacon Detector. The rest of the wording around him seems unnecessary. The joke works with just the nose in the air and the title. I will definitely vote for this either way!

Thanks! I appreciate the input :-) the design is based on my own "bacon detector" he can smell nano particles of bacon!
And it a not too late... I'm late in finishing so it comes at a great time

cdrewlow

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cdrewlow

Here's my very rough sketch. Too obscure? If so, I can whip out a bacon tardis, maybe throw in the Doctor with a bacon scarf...
Oh, and I just realized I shouldn't have the last s in Prometheus's.

Manki

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Manki
swimmernq wrote:Reworked it a bit to capture more emotion. Got rid of my plus signs.

This reminded me of this

-

Franberries

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Franberries

I've been looking around at meat related designs, and it seems tough to come up with something that hasn't already been done (over and over) But I am looking forward to see all the submissions of people with more thinking power than myself!

Manki

This is pretty hilarious and inspirational for you guys.

-

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:I'm new here. Judging from just the last few derbies and the comments on this list, it is not enough for submissions to be well designed and executed to gather votes. Members more likely to vote for submissions if they also reference something in popular culture. Dr. Who and anime are especially popular.
What have I missed?

I have never won with pop culture. I do a lot of pop culture art, but all of my woot derby wins are of the non pop culture variety (except a vague reference here or there).

Manki

What have I missed?

I would say go with creative original ideas over forced pop culture references if that's what you like but I've never won a derby here on woot. A lot of winnings are references. And more often than not within the losing pool are the shirts I'd love to wear. Don't forget that if you have a shirt idea you think is great but might not do well in derby , you can always submit a daily. The other thing to consider is if you are going to do this contest consistently make yourself a facebook/twitter/tumblr page or a mailing list to get some sort of fan base rolling. That way you can alert them when something is up for voting. Set up your footer in your comments to link to those pages. What ever you do always try your hardest.

-

swimmernq

Manki wrote:This reminded me of this

Hahahaha I just got some weird looks at the office for laughing to hard at that. And now I'm also hungry...

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn

Ear worm for the long weekend.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

Spiritgreen wrote:Arnold Schwarzeneggandbacon.

Love it! Fast work!
Maybe it needs more contrast, on something lighter than cranberry.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

I want to upload a draft for comments. I'm used to getting critiques in class. :-)
Looks like the file has to already sit on the Internet somewhere first. Does it matter whether it is on Behance or Flickr?
Where do most of you post your drafts in order to upload here?

Rats. I did bracket img bracket URL bracket slash img bracket, and all I got was this little icon.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

cdrewlow wrote:Here's my very rough sketch. Too obscure? If so, I can whip out a bacon tardis, maybe throw in the Doctor with a bacon scarf...
Oh, and I just realized I shouldn't have the last s in Prometheus's.

Clever and fast work!
When you delete the extra "s", maybe you could track out the "Prometheus" a bit because it is a bit tight in a fun but irregular font.
First time I looked at the sketch, I missed the hole-with-shadow in his liver area. Maybe it would show up more if it were irregularly shaped.
The sketch might work by itself without "fleshing" it out. (Couldn't resist!)

ignorant

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant
ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:I want to upload a draft for comments. I'm used to getting critiques in class. :-)
Looks like the file has to already sit on the Internet somewhere first. Does it matter whether it is on Behance or Flickr?

Rats. I did bracket img bracket URL bracket slash img bracket, and all I got was this little icon.

If I go to your URL I get the "you don't have permission to view this image" message.

relentlessrolento

quality posts: 0 Private Messages relentlessrolento

Feels good to finally make something for this :P first time doing it.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

[quote postid="5793362" user="ArabesqueArtsByDarcy"]I want to upload a draft for comments. I'm used to getting critiques in class. :-)

Drat, I type bracket img bracket and http://www.flickr.com/photos/arabesque-arts-by-darcy/14067748279/ and bracket slash img and all I get is that little icon.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

ignorant wrote:If I go to your URL I get the "you don't have permission to view this image" message.

Thanks for trying. I changed the permissions on Flickr but I still can't load the image here with bracket img and slash.

manhandsha

quality posts: 41 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:Thanks for trying. I changed the permissions on Flickr but I still can't load the image here with bracket img and slash.

As silly as this sounds, have you tried running it through imgur? That will give you the BB code to post here.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:Thanks for trying. I changed the permissions on Flickr but I still can't load the image here with bracket img and slash.

i don't know if flickr has changed their policies recently, but a bit of googling provides the possible reason:

"You cannot use Flickr to host pictures for an external website unless you link each image used back to its Flickr photopage.

"The link back is required by Flickr rules. Take a look at the Community Guidelines (linked at the bottom of every page). "

(https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157626165201180/)

some alternatives: try imageshack or photobucket or tinypic.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

manhandsha wrote:As silly as this sounds, have you tried running it through imgur? That will give you the BB code to post here.

Thanks, I'll try imgur if I can't link from Behance.
First idea:

Second idea:
[img]https://www.behance.net/wip/612621/1128479[/img/

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:Thanks, I'll try imgur if I can't link from Behance.
First idea:

Second idea:
[img]https://www.behance.net/wip/612621/1128479[/img/

Now with imgur:

Curious Incident:

Barbeque City:

Hooray! Thanks for suggesting imgur!
As one of my professors likes to ask, do these "work"?

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

Beginner question again:
Does "six spot colors" include black and white? So four colors plus black and white if you use them?
I'm used to using different percents of gray in Illustrator. Is every shade of gray another spot color?
How about opacities? Is a 50% opacity of Color X a separate color from Color X?

EwingKlipspringer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EwingKlipspringer
ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:Beginner question again:
Does "six spot colors" include black and white? So four colors plus black and white if you use them?
I'm used to using different percents of gray in Illustrator. Is every shade of gray another spot color?
How about opacities? Is a 50% opacity of Color X a separate color from Color X?

The six in six colors also includes black and white.
Any different shade of gray or change in opacity would be a new color. Avoid opacity changes in Illustrator. Use halftones instead for a similar effect.
I hope this helps...

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

EwingKlipspringer wrote:The six in six colors also includes black and white.
Any different shade of gray or change in opacity would be a new color. Avoid opacity changes in Illustrator. Use halftones instead for a similar effect.
I hope this helps...

Sure does help. Now I realize I had a 7th color in this submission that I could have changed.
Thanks!

lstaff

quality posts: 204 Private Messages lstaff
fablefire wrote:HAHA YOU'RE BOTH WRONG.

I have a dislocated shoulder. Take that.

Sorry to hear that!! I hope you will be on the mend soon.