ApeLad


quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

Here's what I've got:
dizzy spell by Ape Lad, on Flickr

TobiasAmaranth


quality posts: 21 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth
Enedlhach wrote:not a werefox?



I don't mention it around here, but myself and another artist (not Fablefire, gasp!) put together a version of "Are you a Werewolf" that I regularly run locally and at conventions.

Werewolves of the Dark Arts

ste7enl wrote:The Transformation



Another visually inviting piece, Ste7enl, and I don't dislike it, but again I find myself feeling that ~something~ is off with it in regards to anatomy or composition. The face is especially flat, and the moon is a tad overwhelming. The tail also gives a feeling of being disconnected from the main figure.

I would also suggest taking extra care with the colors, to make sure nothing gets lost on the black shirt. I've had issues on black shirts with subtle details. *Recalls the nightmare of "Fear of the Dark" by RamyB* Both attempts of printing it ended up looking like mud.

Wearing "Byte" right now and most of it looks good, but the fringes on the left and the green aura above the muzzle are almost invisible on the super-downsized Men's Small (but that's kind of Woot's fault) -- I'm thinking I'll buy a Medium of this design. I like it, but the small design size is frustrating.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 209 Private Messages Spiritgreen

I hope the changes are that everyone has to vote for me, 'cause I used to be quite good as this but I've only printed once out of the last 20 derbies I've entered. :P

If it changes to Facebook voting I'm done for.

enaych


quality posts: 4 Private Messages enaych
Narfcake wrote:Woot could allow creme if they go back to the original supplier. Anvil doesn't offer the 980/880/990b in a similar shade so I think they're having to order from their organic lineup instead, negating the cost advantages.



Or, as I imagine they're a pretty big customer, they could put in a request to their current supplier to add creme to their offerings.

Might as well have a signature now since I have something to put into it.


enaych


quality posts: 4 Private Messages enaych
Narfcake wrote:I hope not - @taternuggets said a while back in a different thread: "It's all too easy for popular artists with large facebook followings to influence the game. With the sharing and the liking and whatnot." - and I agree. Yeah, some of us have multiple accounts here at Woot, but at least one had to be a Woot customer to vote. On FB, anyone with an email address could vote. Unfair advantages? Fraud? I think it'll be likely.



And then there are those of us who have refused to give into to the privacy invasion that comes with Facebook. While I can see them using it to draw voters, making it exclusive would certainly eliminate some potential voters, and therefore customers as well.

Might as well have a signature now since I have something to put into it.


treblesinger72


quality posts: 0 Private Messages treblesinger72
ApeLad wrote:Here's what I've got:
dizzy spell by Ape Lad, on Flickr



Yay! I watched the show when I was little, and always wondered if she ever got dizzy....


j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Narfcake wrote:I hope not - @taternuggets said a while back in a different thread: "It's all too easy for popular artists with large facebook followings to influence the game. With the sharing and the liking and whatnot." - and I agree. Yeah, some of us have multiple accounts here at Woot, but at least one had to be a Woot customer to vote. On FB, anyone with an email address could vote. Unfair advantages? Fraud? I think it'll be likely.

Would that translate to sales? If so, win.

Otherwise, maybe normal voting stops Monday after which the fog goes to social media for the final?

I didn't see vote numbers from their experiment, so bad assumptions on my part.


move along

skirochester


quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester
Spiritgreen wrote:I hope the changes are that everyone has to vote for me, 'cause I used to be quite good as this but I've only printed once out of the last 20 derbies I've entered. :P

If it changes to Facebook voting I'm done for.



i thought for sure i'd wake up to a spiritgreen print today! I was about to congratulate you for back-to-back days.

treblesinger72


quality posts: 0 Private Messages treblesinger72

lets see this is what I have....I couldn't get the butterfly thing out of my head but didn't wanted to go that route... so it developed into a nightmare; as always any comments or suggestions deeply appreciated =)
~REL


Spiritgreen


quality posts: 209 Private Messages Spiritgreen
skirochester wrote:i thought for sure i'd wake up to a spiritgreen print today! I was about to congratulate you for back-to-back days.



Thanks ski'. :^)

Which by the way is how you say thank you in Russia.

wirdou


quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

Nice theme Unfortunately I haven't been able to participate in the derby last weeks, and probably won't be able for a couple more, but I hope to see great stuff like last week!

About the change on the derby...I don't like changesssss XDXD But I completely understand that it needs some updates to keep up the participation and the level. Still I always have the feeling that derby winners numbers (tees sold) are more solid and constant than daily prints, so I hope the derby stays as one of the pillars at shirt.woot.

I really hope the change has nothing to do with facebook voting as some people pointed here. I have a nice following there but I think it could be easily manipulated and biased. Facebook can be great for guidance, not for competitions

Apelad, Ste7en great job!:D

cdrewlow


quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow
TobiasAmaranth wrote:The face is especially flat,


Really? I think it's not flat enough.

Radscoolian


quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian

Heres what I came up with

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ArabesqueArtsByDarcy
omarfeliciano wrote:Here is mine, a little twist on the butterfly approach.



Brought a smile to my face.
But then I remembered the Six Rules of Comma Use, and none of them allow a comma after "But" at the beginning of the sentence. You may be using a different set of rules.
I assume this will be on a charcoal shirt. The tiny tanks may not have enough contrast.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ArabesqueArtsByDarcy
treblesinger72 wrote:lets see this is what I have....I couldn't get the butterfly thing out of my head but didn't wanted to go that route... so it developed into a nightmare; as always any comments or suggestions deeply appreciated =)
~REL



Love it! Scratchboard technique? I don't see the nightmare.
If this is on a black shirt, those gray lines at the bottom might not show up enough. I've never bought a shirt here (got a poster on sale to be a member) so I don't know for sure.

wirdou


quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

wow Omar! Clever and subtle (I hope not too subtle cause it's great)

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ArabesqueArtsByDarcy
treblesinger72 wrote:Yay! I watched the show when I was little, and always wondered if she ever got dizzy....



Superhero metamorphosis! Didn't even think of that!
Clever!
I'm sure there is some anti-vertigo scientific thingy included in the transformation. ..but maybe an enemy has pointed that vertigo weapon at Wonder Woman!

oakenspirit


quality posts: 70 Private Messages oakenspirit

Ha! Apelad, Rascoolian- You guys rock- We must have all eaten the same Capt. Crunch last night...

Here's what I am brewing... not finished but...



Thoughts?


skirochester


quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester

man... someone has to sell me on Dr. Who. Is it an amazing show that I'm missing out on? What's it on... BBC?

Radscoolian


quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
oakenspirit wrote:Ha! Apelad, Rascoolian- You guys rock- We must have all eaten the same Capt. Crunch last night...

Here's what I am brewing... not finished but...



Thoughts?



Thanks, Spirit! I was surprised to not see Mario this morning.

I like it! I'm not sure the branch placements are doing it for me... it seems too heavy on the left, and they both end abruptly, maybe a they could be a little less explicit? And the shape of the top one leads the eye out of the composition. Maybe it could bow downwards?
And is it sequential? or are the super moth and the caterpillar different creatures? It is kind of hovering in between the two right now.
(Says the amateur to the master. Also, you're not done.)

oakenspirit


quality posts: 70 Private Messages oakenspirit
Radscoolian wrote:Thanks, Spirit! I was surprised to not see Mario this morning.

I like it! I'm not sure the branch placements are doing it for me... it seems too heavy on the left, and they both end abruptly, maybe a they could be a little less explicit? And the shape of the top one leads the eye out of the composition. Maybe it could bow downwards?
And is it sequential? or are the super moth and the caterpillar different creatures? It is kind of hovering in between the two right now.
(Says the amateur to the master. Also, you're not done.)



Heh- you are blurring your spirits, but I will gladly take the advice! ;) Thanks! Yeah, I meant for it to be sequential- I'll try and play with it some more and see where it lands-


agingdragqueen


quality posts: 117 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

You guys are coming up with wild, dumb guesses that are probably because we have historically tried to ruin our site as best we can.

- No social media-only voting, jeez
- No, not getting rid of the derb'
- No increase in restrictions
- Not going 100% digital (gross)

Iz gon' be good (I think). But I also think it's not a HUGE thing, so don't get too worked up.


Radscoolian


quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
oakenspirit wrote:Heh- you are blurring your spirits, but I will gladly take the advice! ;) Thanks! Yeah, I meant for it to be sequential- I'll try and play with it some more and see where it lands-



Holy frick. I saw the Spiritgreen/oakenspirit signature and decided not to read... I was thinking "that's cool, Spiritgreen is promoting oaken's entry". I feel pretty durm now.

ApeLad


quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad
skirochester wrote:man... someone has to sell me on Dr. Who. Is it an amazing show that I'm missing out on? What's it on... BBC?



It's on Netflix streaming. The problem is there are so dang many episodes to catch up on if you've never watched it.
But, yes, it's really great.

oakenspirit


quality posts: 70 Private Messages oakenspirit
Radscoolian wrote:Holy frick. I saw the Spiritgreen/oakenspirit signature and decided not to read... I was thinking "that's cool, Spiritgreen is promoting oaken's entry". I feel pretty durm now.



Yeah- I totally stole that from SG- didn't really consider the repercussions... sorry for the confusion-


Narfcake


quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
agingdragqueen wrote:... because we have historically tried to ruin our site as best we can.


No comment.

... Iz gon' be good ...


All catshirts, all the time!

sonofafish


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sonofafish
agingdragqueen wrote:You guys are coming up with wild, dumb guesses



Radscoolian wrote:I feel pretty durm now.



Sorry guys, I caught a bad case of dumb-dumb fever the other day and I coughed on everything.

In any case, ADQ didn't rule out a larger print area... [eyebrow wiggle.gif]

agingdragqueen


quality posts: 117 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

sonofafish wrote:Sorry guys, I caught a bad case of dumb-dumb fever the other day and I coughed on everything.

In any case, ADQ didn't rule out a larger print area... [eyebrow wiggle.gif]



I love your positive attitude!

I re-read my comment and it may come off that I was maybe calling you guys dumb. I hope it's clear that I'm really implying that we're the dumb-dumbs.


Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
agingdragqueen wrote:You guys are coming up with wild, dumb guesses that are probably because we have historically tried to ruin our site as best we can.

- No social media-only voting, jeez
- No, not getting rid of the derb'
- No increase in restrictions
- Not going 100% digital (gross)

Iz gon' be good (I think). But I also think it's not a HUGE thing, so don't get too worked up.



Spoilers!

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

agingdragqueen


quality posts: 117 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

Mavyn wrote:Spoilers!



I know, I know! I just don't want this to turn into a thread of speculation about how else we can possibly further ruin the best dot-woot. It's not gonna be that! That's all!


treblesinger72


quality posts: 0 Private Messages treblesinger72
ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:Love it! Scratchboard technique? I don't see the nightmare.
If this is on a black shirt, those gray lines at the bottom might not show up enough. I've never bought a shirt here (got a poster on sale to be a member) so I don't know for sure.



The "technique" is called: "I can't figure out how to do halftones, so I will do them as if I was drawing with a pencil"...((Show some manners!), I know).
I was trying face one side, suggested skull on the other.... Guess it was too subtle, it is navy so it might have the same problems that black.
Thanks! =)


sonofafish


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sonofafish
treblesinger72 wrote:The "technique" is called: "I can't figure out how to do halftones, so I will do them as if I was drawing with a pencil"...((Show some manners!), I know).
I was trying face one side, suggested skull on the other.... Guess it was too subtle, it is navy so it might have the same problems that black.
Thanks! =)



Have you seen the halftone thread under the community section?
there ya go.

It's a good guide... it appears a lot more daunting than it actually is, but once you get the hang of it it's really not that hard.

Narfcake


quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
sonofafish wrote:Have you seen the halftone thread under the community section?
there ya go.
...


Here's another one:
Choosing the halftone that's right for you: A halftone tutorial by ramyb

treblesinger72


quality posts: 0 Private Messages treblesinger72
sonofafish wrote:Have you seen the halftone thread under the community section?
there ya go.

It's a good guide... it appears a lot more daunting than it actually is, but once you get the hang of it it's really not that hard.



=) I saw that thanks!!! but unfortunately I work with painter and corel draw.... and I believe the edition I got has some functions disabled (education edition... I bought it when I was a teacher)so I been looking for tutorials everywhere... I am not sure if anyone else works with Corel, I appreciate the info
Thanks!


treblesinger72


quality posts: 0 Private Messages treblesinger72

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 209 Private Messages Spiritgreen

I just googled Americana and at the exact moment various red white and blue patterns and monuments filled the screen an ice cream truck drove past my house playing Yankie Doodle Dandy.

How'd you do that, Woot? You sent a Good Humor Man to the English countryside, he's waited for days for this to happen, presumbably you have cameras secretly installed in my room here. Maybe in this... AHA, unassuming pack of gum! .. No, it's just gum. Oh you're good.

leslieh01


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leslieh01

I feel frustrated that I haven't had much success in Derbies. I sure could use a mentor or two in tshirt designing.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
leslieh01 wrote:I feel frustrated that I haven't had much success in Derbies. I sure could use a mentor or two in tshirt designing.



read this first.

sonofafish


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sonofafish
leslieh01 wrote:I feel frustrated that I haven't had much success in Derbies. I sure could use a mentor or two in tshirt designing.



Warning: Long post ahoy.

I'm less of a mentor and more of a giant loudmouth, but I went through the same thing when I started out.
Although I have yet to see a design of mine print, allow me to humbly share what I've learned:

1) Read what No1 linked.

2)Look at the top 20. It'll give you a very good idea of what people here like in a shirt design.

3) Ask yourself honestly: would I wear this if someone else had designed it?

4)Aim for the top. Don't get bogged down in vote counts. Look at the fog. That's where you wanna be. You have to make something that is more compelling than those 9 designs.

5) You're not likely to print, place, or get and HM yet. Sorry. You're new, you still have some bad habits (clipart is a big no-no),and you're not really sure where the sweet spot is yet (nor am I. ulp!). That's ok, just keep doing your best. You're competing with pros, many with formal training. There's no shame in losing to them, just learn from it!

6) You clearly have a lot of passion. Channel it! I try to top myself every week. I use the derby as an opportunity to challenge myself and expand my skills. I was very focused on seeing print at first, but now that's entirely secondary to me. Ultimately, pleasing voters is way less important than feeling proud of what you've made.

7) Don't let any of this get into your head too much. Keep it loose, keep it fun. If you're not having fun, it'll show in your designs.

7.5) Don't feel like you have to enter every week. If you don't have a serviceable idea, you're better off catching some Zs instead of staying up all night futzing with a design you're forcing out.

8) Submit on time! That's 12 PM CST. This is the one piece of advice that will virtually guarantee a few more votes.

9) feel free to hit me up anytime. I'm here a lot.

leslieh01


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leslieh01

THANK YOU SO MUCH for replying! Your advice is humbly received! Yeah I am pretty new to tshirt design. I have art training but not on the computer. And I just need to stick a note on my laptop thy reads "be proud of what you have learned & done". I do literally lean something new each week. Btw, the penguins arent clipart. I drew them from pics. But I guess they look clipartish. Eh. I like the Derbies for the same reason. Sparks for ideas. I'm workin on a patriotic one right now. Trying not to complicate the design; I might take the texturing off one drawing because it sorta makes it look like clipart like the penguins. Although, I have to say it still looks cool w the shading I've done. Maybe I'll post what I have later today to get some feedback.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice!

sonofafish wrote:Warning: Long post ahoy.

I'm less of a mentor and more of a giant loudmouth, but I went through the same thing when I started out.
Although I have yet to see a design of mine print, allow me to humbly share what I've learned:

1) Read what No1 linked.

2)Look at the top 20. It'll give you a very good idea of what people here like in a shirt design.

3) Ask yourself honestly: would I wear this if someone else had designed it?

4)Aim for the top. Don't get bogged down in vote counts. Look at the fog. That's where you wanna be. You have to make something that is more compelling than those 9 designs.

5) You're not likely to print, place, or get and HM yet. Sorry. You're new, you still have some bad habits (clipart is a big no-no),and you're not really sure where the sweet spot is yet (nor am I. ulp!). That's ok, just keep doing your best. You're competing with pros, many with formal training. There's no shame in losing to them, just learn from it!

6) You clearly have a lot of passion. Channel it! I try to top myself every week. I use the derby as an opportunity to challenge myself and expand my skills. I was very focused on seeing print at first, but now that's entirely secondary to me. Ultimately, pleasing voters is way less important than feeling proud of what you've made.

7) Don't let any of this get into your head too much. Keep it loose, keep it fun. If you're not having fun, it'll show in your designs.

7.5) Don't feel like you have to enter every week. If you don't have a serviceable idea, you're better off catching some Zs instead of staying up all night futzing with a design you're forcing out.

8) Submit on time! That's 12 PM CST. This is the one piece of advice that will virtually guarantee a few more votes.

9) feel free to hit me up anytime. I'm here a lot.