leslieh01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leslieh01

I never thought about the snake being conservative or liberal (I'm conservative); I just thought the snake in flag colors with 13 stars was a cool idea. I used "us" instead of "me" to try to separate it from the other. I really is a symbol for all of us... No one wants to be treaded on yeah? Haha. You like the snake skin one? If I cold figure out how to change the skin to white/grays, I cold put it back in. It just seemed to mess up the blue. It's supposed to match the blue of the ribbon.

OH!!! Thanks for the feedback! I love to learn!

sonofafish wrote:I liked it better with the scales on the snake, but I'm glad you fixed the text. I like it best on Baby blue.

as far as the tea party, I didn't mention that earlier because they kind of appropriated that symbol, but they do not own it.

Even so, maybe it'll lose you some votes, but I have to think we have some conservatives here too, no? (please, let's not start a political argument, I'm just giving a fellow artist some feedback, that is all).

leslieh01

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:Ooooh!
Love the textured stripes, now I want textured stars, too.

How would I texture the stars?

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ArabesqueArtsByDarcy
no1 wrote:altho the gadsden flag has a proud place in 'merican history, with the recent use of the gadsen flag by the tea party folks and by the shooters in las vegas, it mite be a little bit more controversial than is usually seen in a derby entry.

Design: Go with the light blue background. The red part of the snake doesn't have enough contrast against the cranberry tee. The text, IMHO, is overworked, the top part doesn't need two colors underneath, the bottom part doesn't need the outline. Let the snake be in balance with the text. (When my instructors said, "Keep it simple" about my work, I didn't get it.)
Maybe the snake tongue extends too close to the words.

Recent political scene: Thanks for pointing out the Gadsden name and making the connection with recent events.
I don't have enough experience on shirt.woot to know how much controversy a design can get away with.
I hope voters won't tar the design with those particular connections, because this design can still work over the long term.

leslieh01

OOH OOH! Whatcha think?! I like these one with the lighter shadow.

leslieh01

Thanks! I'll work on the snake design! Yeah my husband always says simplify simplify simplify. Haha.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:Design: Go with the light blue background. The red part of the snake doesn't have enough contrast against the cranberry tee. The text, IMHO, is overworked, the top part doesn't need two colors underneath, the bottom part doesn't need the outline. Let the snake be in balance with the text. (When my instructors said, "Keep it simple" about my work, I didn't get it.)
Maybe the snake tongue extends too close to the words.

Recent political scene: Thanks for pointing out the Gadsden name and making the connection with recent events.
I don't have enough experience on shirt.woot to know how much controversy a design can get away with.
I hope voters won't tar the design with those particular connections, because this design can still work over the long term.

leslieh01

How about this one? Better? I shortened and lightened the tongue. Haha. Also made text changes.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

leslieh01 wrote:How would I texture the stars?

As I wrote that, my first thought was to do the same thing you did with the stripes... which are a totally different shape.
Scratchboard white streaks through the stars?
I'm trying to come up with some design that doesn't use the symbols of pie, eagle, snake....
Everyone else loads their designs on Friday while I'm still trying to develop something on Saturday.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

leslieh01 wrote:

How about this one? Better? I shortened and lightened the tongue. Haha. Also made text changes.

Lookin' much better!
Have you tried white text on the bottom ribbon?

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad
amanoxford wrote:Surely it's gotta be on red, white, or blue! ☺

You're right! Blue works a lot better.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen
ApeLad wrote:You're right! Blue works a lot better.

Looks great on blue, wonderful visual concept.

jayne5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayne5

I love the concept of the flag in the pie but somehow the pie looks lopsided or something.

jessisima wrote:I started working on an American Pie design this week. I have some other ideas in the works, but I'd love to hear what people think of this one so far...

jayne5

And it makes the word pop! This is a great shirt and I sure hope I can buy it.

Spiritgreen wrote:Looks great on blue, wonderful visual concept.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
leslieh01 wrote:I never thought about the snake being conservative or liberal

It's not a conservative or liberal thing, it's the fact that a pair of crazy people in Nevada killed two cops less than a week ago and draped this flag and a swastika on their corpses. It's just bad timing for you. There will probably be people who think it's in poor taste.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

leslieh01

That's how I usually am w designs too. This one they gave us a week's notice so I had time. Yeah how do some get theirs done in one day?!
I'll play around w the stars. Thx!

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:As I wrote that, my first thought was to do the same thing you did with the stripes... which are a totally different shape.
Scratchboard white streaks through the stars?
I'm trying to come up with some design that doesn't use the symbols of pie, eagle, snake....
Everyone else loads their designs on Friday while I'm still trying to develop something on Saturday.

jayne5

Of the three colors I like the beige the best. It makes the words pop. And the red second. Good luck!

leslieh01 wrote:

Which color should I use? Also, feedback about design would be greatly appreciated! Another version I made had a snake skin mask on the snake. I could add that if anyone wants. It kinda messed up the blue of the snake.

It goes without saying but I'll say it anyway haha, this design looks good on white too. Just didn't post it.

leslieh01

bluetuba wrote:It's not a conservative or liberal thing, it's the fact that a pair of crazy people in Nevada killed two cops less than a week ago and draped this flag and a swastika on their corpses. It's just bad timing for you. There will probably be people who think it's in poor taste.

I see. Well, I'll think abt it. It's sad that those (Everybody has something they're good at.)s did sich terrible things!

jayne5

That's a great color blue. DO they have that as a shirt option? Another benefit is that the word pops out better. I really love this and hope we get a chance to buy it.

Spiritgreen wrote:Looks great on blue, wonderful visual concept.

leslieh01

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:Lookin' much better!
Have you tried white text on the bottom ribbon?

Ok! I'll try that! I actually thot of that but didnt change it at the time.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 75 Private Messages oakenspirit

Thanks for all the advice guys- I'll see what I can do-

ApeLad

jayne5 wrote:That's a great color blue. DO they have that as a shirt option? Another benefit is that the word pops out better. I really love this and hope we get a chance to buy it.

Yes. It's the same color as the Binge and the Imperial designs in the top 20.
And thanks!

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
marceepauff wrote:The legs look a little weird to me; maybe if you made the wings bigger?

I think it's because the wings are so abstract, that the legs look too out of place in the design. If the wings are made larger, they may lose the head and legs entirely in the design. It's the danger of doing something so drastically abstract while trying to keep it recognizable.

leslieh01

Here are the redos with the suggested changes. I actually changed the stars to kinda streaking like someone thought might look cool. I have the other with plain stars if no one likes the new ones. THANKS!

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
ApeLad wrote:

Super tight design, ApeLad.

Enedlhach

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Enedlhach
JadenKale wrote:I think it's because the wings are so abstract, that the legs look too out of place in the design. If the wings are made larger, they may lose the head and legs entirely in the design. It's the danger of doing something so drastically abstract while trying to keep it recognizable.

I think I have made some adjustments to the legs that should rectify the situation. I want to keep them in there since I feel like it grounds it from the abstract.

Thanks for the thoughts.

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy

leslieh01 wrote:

Here are the redos with the suggested changes. I actually changed the stars to kinda streaking like someone thought might look cool. I have the other with plain stars if no one likes the new ones. THANKS!

Both designs are now officially great!
I now have a concept for mine which I have not seen here. I'll have time to work on it Friday evening...after I see that no one else has already done it.

leslieh01

ArabesqueArtsByDarcy wrote:Both designs are now officially great!
I now have a concept for mine which I have not seen here. I'll have time to work on it Friday evening...after I see that no one else has already done it.

Thanks! I had so many other ideas but haven't learned how to do certain things yet. I study tee designs & try to figure out how to do it. I so appreciate everyone's imput! Good luck on yours!

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

Early WIP. It will be traditional tattoo style when finished. This is one of those ideas that felt good at first, but now I'm questioning it. Maybe a different slogan?

ApeLad

orabbit wrote:Early WIP. It will be traditional tattoo style when finished. This is one of those ideas that felt good at first, but now I'm questioning it. Maybe a different slogan?

I think it's funny, but you may want to move the banner up so it covers the chest/torso area of the eagle. That way it's not so blank there and you don't have to figure out how to make that area interesting.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
ApeLad wrote:I think it's funny, but you may want to move the banner up so it covers the chest/torso area of the eagle. That way it's not so blank there and you don't have to figure out how to make that area interesting.

That area is going to be feathers done in coloring, so I didn't ink it with any black. But you're right, it probably could move up some. Thanks.

thumperchick

quality posts: 236 Private Messages thumperchick
orabbit wrote:Early WIP. It will be traditional tattoo style when finished. This is one of those ideas that felt good at first, but now I'm questioning it. Maybe a different slogan?

Maybe do a USA Shield on the chest of the eagle, instead of moving the banner?

I can't wait to see how this one turns out.

armandfrvr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages armandfrvr

For the honorable mentions-- please do Smeowg by Spiritgreen. Please? *looks up at everyone cutely*

FoxSonic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages FoxSonic

I agree here, If the Tea Party and armed rampagers weren't also using this flag for their backwards campaigns I'd totally vote for this, and maybe even buy it!

no1 wrote:altho the gadsden flag has a proud place in 'merican history, with the recent use of the gadsen flag by the tea party folks and by the shooters in las vegas, it mite be a little bit more controversial than is usually seen in a derby entry.

FoxSonic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages FoxSonic
FoxSonic wrote:I agree here, If the Tea Party and armed rampagers weren't also using this flag for their backwards campaigns I'd totally vote for this, and maybe even buy it!

Need to learn to read all the posts first before commenting. Like guns, the Gadson flag is 'neutral', it's what peeps do with it. The others are right, it's just very bad timing. Submit it, It'll be ok. ;)

flemtone

quality posts: 6 Private Messages flemtone
ApeLad wrote:You're right! Blue works a lot better.

Perfect. I was having a difficult time making out the word before - the blue shirt brings it all into focus so much better.

flemtone

quality posts: 6 Private Messages flemtone
oakenspirit wrote:Super excited about this derby! (and about the DELAYED secret HM update!)

I made two this week-
First I redid (from the ground up) my old American Fantasy Map- I am so much happier with this new version- the last one lost by 3 votes so hopefully this time it will stick! eyes voters... ;)

Yay! So close last time, and a design that has literally everything going for it.

My only suggestion would be to move the shark fin closer to Cape Cod. It's a 'Jaws' thing but hey, that's just me.

Crosses fingers for a print of this on an American Apparel blank. Best of all possible worlds. Good luck!

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian

Here's what I came up with

thumperchick

quality posts: 236 Private Messages thumperchick

amugle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amugle

So, here are my designs that I came up with. Let me know what you think:
The first one is called "Teatime in Boston":

The second one is called "Petriotic":

shenadya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shenadya
ApeLad wrote:Here's what I've got. Can you read the hidden message?

I guess it's more of a word than a message.

You mean the secret message isn't bacon? Is it just me that sees that in the stripes? Maybe I shouldn't have skipped breakfast...

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Here's what I've got going for today.