thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: The Poet's Weapons

missmissa07 wrote:Excellent! Please do! I think it has a pretty good chance of getting an honorable mention, at least

Honorable Mentions? Do they still do those???

goneferal

quality posts: 18 Private Messages goneferal
Re: Dominoes

I'm lovin' the cartoon Shakespeare with his Mickey Mouse hands. Love the concept. Voted.

haezoo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages haezoo
bykristenfc wrote:Actually, I didn't upload it. My sister went through my stuff and did that. It is still a work in progress. I was going to enter it into a derby where you can enter a variety of things.

Well, they are decent charicatures. Hang on to this design for another derby!

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain
Re: Shakespeare A-Z

I'm gonna hijack my own thread here and ask: did Woot discontinue the Honorable Mentions and I missed the memo, or did Devo week just put them behind? Anyone know?

pz@woot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages pz@woot
Re: To be, or not to be? v2

I prefer the text. On a lot of Woot shirts it would help, since without knowing the Derby theme the point of a design is not always clear.

Signature oh signature, cannot think
of something clever...

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
thebaldwinboy wrote:I hate to be THAT guy, but CliffsNotes and the yellow/black design is copyrighted.....

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/cliffsnotes-terms-of-use.html

Scroll down to proprietary rights for details.

I'm actually very surprised this hasn't been rejected yet.... :/

This is all, of course, assuming you didn't acquire express written permission to use the logo and the name.

Aye but there's the rub. While CliffsNotes is copyrighted, nether Cliff (no S, he clearly wanted to imply an S but there is no actual S) nor Notes is as singular words. He's also used both a different font and colorscheme (monotoned aka black in this instance) then what CliffsNotes uses (either a white yellow or black yellow combo).

Sorry to say too that diagonal lines of black and yellow are also not copyrighted and are seen as international caution symbols and often used in sinage for construction zones or wet floors. They can use them on their books all they like as a visual stlye but they can't stop other books from having them. The only way they'd be able to stop someone on the lines part is if the other party were publishing a similar type of book as what they do and using the same type of cover design, then it can be seen as trying to mislead or misrepresent to the consumer, using a known visual style associated with a known brand.

There's also the issue of parody, and while there's always a way you can argue for or against reasonable use, I think this falls squarley in the field of parody as a man that's been dead for nigh 400 years is ripping a book apart that's being published today. BTW spiritgreen I really hope you finally get a print with this one

tabaddon

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tabaddon
Re: Verona Apothecary

Love it and really love the distressing, but I'd love it even more on almost anything not-white. Gray's done to death too - maybe a nice pale tan/taupe? Something that looks like it's been in a trunk for 400 years...

Also, my husband would totally wear it. He doesn't have a problem with his identity or yours, thankfully.

Be quicker of mind than of tongue.
Opinions are not advice, nor directives.
The world is not limited by your limited experience.
I'm not better than anyone else, and neither are you.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: King of infinite space
maevwen wrote:Love!
I created an account cuz i thought that meant i could vote on it, but alas, no, because i've never bought a shirt here before -- I'm new!
oh well. I hope you win! Will this still be available to buy if you don't?

How nice that you created an account to try and vote for this shirt - thanks maevwen! If it doesn't win or get an Honorable Mention (which means it will get another chance to compete), woot owns it for 60 days so it's sort of in limbo. Then after that I could try to submit it elsewhere and see if they want to print it. I have yet to branch to other sites though ... hopefully I will soon!

leana1975 wrote:Its that hard to achieve combination of cuteness, beauty, and imagination. Well done!

Such a nice thing to say leana1975! <3

Jaiyla wrote:you do not disappoint!!

d'awwww thanks Jaiyla!

Pseudos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pseudos

This is one of the best shirts I've ever seen. Totally under-appreciated. I mean, wow. Even if it doesn't win, I want it. Bad. I mean, how can you not be as in love with it as I am..?

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
thatrobert wrote:

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Winning a BLA does NOT mean this shirt won't print -- I'm hoping it does.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • No, you can't pretend that forever will never come knocking at your door.

Thanks Robert!

rinkusu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rinkusu
Re: The Revenge of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern

Yet another awesome shirt! You got my vote.

Hey bonezz322, is there any chance of getting the abe lincoln chokeslam picture enlarged so we can make our own shirt somewhere else, since it didn't win?

I pm'd you about it...thanks!

jalt99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jalt99

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
jalt99 wrote:nice!

Thanks, man!!!

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: The Witches of McBeth

Thanks everyone!

lucky1988

Re: Read The Whole Book!

I think this design displays enough parody, is well done and hopefully it wins or places. Go Spiritgreen!

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62

I agree that this is clearly inspired by Shakespeare, which seems to me to be the theme. And by going with "inspired by Shakespeare" rather than another based-on-a-quote shirt, you've transcended the theme and the derby to a shirt that can be a lot more wearable.

If this doesn't print for this derby and you refine it before submitting it elsewhere, can I make a suggestion?
Remove the checkerboard. Just my opinion -- okay, and some other people's -- but while I understand that the writing tools by themselves are plain, I think this distracts from them.
Instead, put them in a display case or carrying case. They are, after all, the tools of the trade. Set them as such. My opinion, fwiw.

lucky1988

Re: Damn'd Spot Remover

Excellent design. Great to see your "non woot" art too, awesome stuff.

sasham62

Re: Know your Bard. Act III (re-resub)

"steeped with" may be more rare (at least here in the US) but that doesn't bother me at all. It even sounds ... Shakespearean, whether he used the phrase or not. It just sounds ... unique ... without being incorrect.

That said, I really don't want to provoke this kind of neck strain on anyone who passes by. I certainly don't begrudge you any of the votes you received. It's just not something I would wear.

sasham62

Re: The Tragic Story of Romeouse and Julirat

While I'm glad to see you doing a shirt that doesn't feature vegetables ;-) and the colors are certainly striking, I just don't have a strong desire to wear a couple dead mice on my shirt.
It's well done, just not for me.

sasham62

captianmal wrote:I take it as referring to the Buffy episode where everyone's dream have the Cheese Guy. I wear the cheese, it does not wear me.

Yeah, I was also thinking Buffy, which might be great if this were a Joss Whedon themed derby...

LadyofRohan2995

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LadyofRohan2995
Re: To unpathed waters, undreamed shores

Wonderful! Very inspiring.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
lucky1988 wrote:Excellent design. Great to see your "non woot" art too, awesome stuff.

Thanks Lucky. Yeah I'm trying to redo my portfolio cause it's been neglected for 4 years and I've done a lot in that time frame, especially logo work and lots of it. Hopefully I'll find the motivation and time soon to get it presentable. I'm really jealous of some of the great sites that a lot of artists here have for their personal work and if any of yous with great sites wanna point me in the right direction for a good way to do image galleries please feel free to PM me

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
SeedUvPain wrote:I'm gonna hijack my own thread here and ask: did Woot discontinue the Honorable Mentions and I missed the memo, or did Devo week just put them behind? Anyone know?

The latter, I suppose. They've been as far as a month behind on HMs in the past, and once they didn't even post them. They just included their choices in the Double-Take, leaving wooters to figure out the honorees on their own.

lonelypond

quality posts: 410 Private Messages lonelypond
Re: The Revenge of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern

This is cool...was hoping for more comedy than the derby is providing but I could stand a little kick ass.

lonelypond

quality posts: 410 Private Messages lonelypond
Re: Cheese Dreams

But now all I can think of is sleeping under a Wallace and Gromit visited moon.

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck

hope this makes it to the fog, or at the very least gets an hm. if you do take it somewhere else let me know, but please, please, please dont change a thing on it! (i <3 the squares) =D

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Read The Whole Book!

Thanks for the defence tjost and lucky1988!

It did cross my mind that this might be an issue, so I made a generic looking cover and of course, it's a parody image (and a satirical view of using literary shortcuts). I'm sure it's fine.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
marzipanapple wrote:Sad day that this isn't in the fog.

^ What she said.

paigeg

CrescentDebris wrote:Come on man. If you're going to steal art, at least take it from the source and not the 100x100 forum thumbnails hahaha. I've seen a lot of bad and obvious thefts before, but this is the absolute BEST!

http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry.aspx?id=25218

I second that - and add a tattle. Not cool!

paigeg

tjost wrote:Here's a couple I've worked on recently. The beach cleanup one is the one that delayed this shirt from being up sooner.

I do lots of simulated process printing type designs and seps on both light and dark tees. These are all 6-7 colors. Hope you like them

Nice! Thanks for sharing. I hope you do get a site up soon, so we can all see what you do at your 'day job'.

Spiritgreen

Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=43440]

It would have been nice if you could have represented the infinite amount of time needed too, but I like the concept. ^_^

goneferal

quality posts: 18 Private Messages goneferal

This is really cute & clever. I like how Kate wears the pants! Really pulling for this one!

abritishgem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abritishgem

This is Brilliant! GMV... I want to wear this, so I truly hope you win. Bravo xxx

Ettenna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ettenna
Re: King of infinite space

I was a little disappointed with this derby until I saw this design. This is one of my favorite Shakespeare quotes and to see it in such a cute, yet fitting design has won my heart. I have to agree that the text would have added to the design, but I think the simplicity of it still works well. I really want one!

weirdpuckett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages weirdpuckett
Siax wrote:wow you really cranked out alot of designs this derby.........this one's pretty good +1

Why Thank you very much!! I appreciate it!

khasut

quality posts: 7 Private Messages khasut

Strong vote *against* the text being on the shirt! I love it how it is. +1'd!

februarystar27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages februarystar27
megsck wrote:hope this makes it to the fog, or at the very least gets an hm. if you do take it somewhere else let me know, but please, please, please dont change a thing on it! (i <3 the squares) =D

I also love the squares. I hope this gets an HM or printed elsewhere. I'd definitely buy one.

Spiritgreen

Re: Exit: Pursued By Bear.

I like your drawing style, leftshoemuse. ^__^

A couple of tips that might help next time: you can only use six colors and they have to be completely solid (no soft fading or gradients). Also it's important to google around and make sure a similar shirt doesn't exist. Many a good idea has been rejected because someone else did it already.

Hope you'll bring some more fun designs to future derbies!

Spiritgreen

Re: Damn'd Spot Remover

Hey that's some shiny cool stuff! (I wouldn't want to mess with that bear. D: )

Thanks for sharing!

flamespear

quality posts: 4 Private Messages flamespear