lonelypond

quality posts: 421 Private Messages lonelypond
Re: School for Cats

Who doesn't need a napping shirt? Cute cats.

lonelypond

Re: Caterpillar dreams

love the green

adamant628

quality posts: 8 Private Messages adamant628
axphw1 wrote:Throw in a butterfly with a can of gasoline and I'd be all over this.

Nobody ever suspects the butterfly.

lonelypond

Re: The Aviator

Gleams w/ bouncy good cheer

aknght

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aknght
omarfeliciano wrote:I love that the design is in three panes. The only thing I noticed is that, in the paper pane, there is no rock to practice with.

I think the target on the ground is where the rock is lol. No training for paper they jump right into action.

Love this design

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Infinite Dread

I like the gray area

jodofarc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jodofarc
Re: Zombie mathematics V2.0

SHNIKEYS!! This shirt is FANTASTIC! It is abundantly obvious that the zombies have not eaten YOUR brain. Well done, my fellow zombie lover, WELL FREAKIN' DONE!!

lonelypond

masoncoram

quality posts: 0 Private Messages masoncoram
Re: Navi Teaches

Also, you can only use up to six different colors. I see at least seven. And there can't be any gradients, which there appears to be.

griffington

quality posts: 0 Private Messages griffington

Yeah, this is pretty much outstanding. Clean, smart design. Doesn't try to do too much. Best I've seen for this derby.

partimejudas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages partimejudas

I hate cats, but the cuteness gets my vote...

Now 100% chock full of little wind-up robots!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Argh, homework! No, Argyle homework.

I'm not usually a fan of 'argyle' shirts. But this is too clever to pass up. GMV, fwiw.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
thatrobert wrote:

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Winning a BLA does NOT mean this shirt won't print -- I'm hoping it does.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • We should get jerseys 'cause we make a good team; but yours would look better than mine 'cause you're out of my league.

juanoc74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juanoc74
Re: No more biology project

Thank you for the comments guys, but the resemblance was pure ccoincidence.

alephnull2k1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alephnull2k1
juliaL719 wrote:Not exactly. They only get that option once.

And I have to see all the drafts, comment on them, and note significant progress. If it isn't there, my gift does not apply.

So, just to be clear, I lacked full insight into your process, and heaped judgement upon you unfairly based on my own biases?

Man, that sucks. Who am I to sit in judgement over you? Just because I have strong opinions about what children should be taught, I tried to shame you into changing something you're happy with, which I lacked full understanding of, to suit my preferences.

I have broken Wil Wheaton's rule, and hang my head in shame.

yellowflower

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yellowflower
erina7262 wrote:I never said it was a penis hat. I said it looked too penisy from a distance. Big difference.

I always thought Darth Vader and Storm Troopers hats were a little on the phallic side. I don't think you can make a good Darth Vader or Storm Trooper who doesn't look penisy.

drewpac18

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewpac18
stifroc wrote:Thanks man.
I can't believe I have pulled only 8 votes with this one.

By looking at the other entries that have done well, perhaps I should have had a ninja waiting at the bus stop if I wanted to break into the double digits.

I agree. My design has the same theme and isn't doing so hot either. Some random/nostalgic geek heroes drag and dropped in just might be our ticket to fame and fortune ;)

karma19vince88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karma19vince88

This is amazing! I want this shirt right now

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
thatrobert wrote:

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Winning a BLA does NOT mean this shirt won't print -- I'm hoping it does.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • We should get jerseys 'cause we make a good team; but yours would look better than mine 'cause you're out of my league.

Thank yooooouu!!

qmzn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qmzn
FMstatic100 wrote:QMZN, you are so random. :P

Like hot sauce on cupcakes.

juliaL719

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliaL719
alephnull2k1 wrote:So, just to be clear, I lacked full insight into your process, and heaped judgement upon you unfairly based on my own biases?

Man, that sucks. Who am I to sit in judgement over you? Just because I have strong opinions about what children should be taught, I tried to shame you into changing something you're happy with, which I lacked full understanding of, to suit my preferences.

I have broken Wil Wheaton's rule, and hang my head in shame.

I realize that you don't have a magic window into my brain. Of course you don't know the full process.

No big. The internet's a tough place to read tone, though, and I can't tell if you're being snarky or not, but I was never offended at any point, and I hope you aren't rolling your eyes now. If so, I apologize.

alephnull2k1

juliaL719 wrote:I realize that you don't have a magic window into my brain. Of course you don't know the full process.

No big. The internet's a tough place to read tone, though, and I can't tell if you're being snarky or not, but I was never offended at any point, and I hope you aren't rolling your eyes now. If so, I apologize.

Just a little snarky...I'd hoped you'd see the parallel between my jumping on you about how you teach English, and you excoriating ramyb for failing to live up to your expectations of what he should do to pursue/"improve" his art.

Art is subjective. Ramyb's artistic "weaknesses" will undoubtedly prevent him from successfully entering certain areas of the graphic arts world, but it seems to me that despite those weaknesses, he's got this t-shirt thing pretty figured out. Whether that's because of art that people like, or just good marketing, Woot's making money and ramyb's making money. No one is storming into your house and making you buy Derby winners, and we all suffer Derby disappointments. It's the nature of the beast, because as much as you might want to believe that the best art will win, it's still just a popularity contest.

(full disclosure: I don't tend to vote for ramyb's designs, but he does seem to be singled out for extra-special "attention" from the "artists". I find this shirt mildly funny, but not funny enough to wear on my chest. C'est la vie.)

drewpac18

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewpac18
Re: The Aviator

Best of the bunch. Great job!

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
alephnull2k1 wrote:Just a little snarky...I'd hoped you'd see the parallel between my jumping on you about how you teach English, and you excoriating ramyb for failing to live up to your expectations of what he should do to pursue/"improve" his art.

Art is subjective. Ramyb's artistic "weaknesses" will undoubtedly prevent him from successfully entering certain areas of the graphic arts world, but it seems to me that despite those weaknesses, he's got this t-shirt thing pretty figured out. Whether that's because of art that people like, or just good marketing, Woot's making money and ramyb's making money. No one is storming into your house and making you buy Derby winners, and we all suffer Derby disappointments. It's the nature of the beast, because as much as you might want to believe that the best art will win, it's still just a popularity contest.

(full disclosure: I don't tend to vote for ramyb's designs, but he does seem to be singled out for extra-special "attention" from the "artists". I find this shirt mildly funny, but not funny enough to wear on my chest. C'est la vie.)

It's a point that has been argued a hundred times before by those of us particularly annoyed by it over the years and new groups of people every once in a while.

The woot derby is a special thing, and to see it trampled and dominated by somebody with Ramy's "traits" isn't fun. We'll continue to argue that quality and integrity are important, and people like you will continue to argue that popularity and profit are all that matters. It's a blood war (to drop a D&D reference) that never ends.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

popguynyc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages popguynyc
Re: teacher talks funny

So how do I vote for this? Is that the point of this Derby thing?
new here....

cruelnv

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cruelnv
mafafu888 wrote:As a teacher I find this shirt has neither rhyme nor reason. As someone mentioned earlier, there is no context for the character that allows this shirt to make sense. It is just a "stick a pop culture reference in a different place" shirt. Bleh.

As a non-teacher, I find that this shirt - which clearly relies upon pop culture in order to obtain votes - does have some logical reasoning behind it. I assumed that this was Vader trying his hand at being an elementary school substitute teacher. But, due to his personality (not being a strong people-person and not being very good at working with kids), he resorts to teaching them what he knows... which is light years (N.P.I.) beyond their understanding. That was what I thought at first glance anyway. I have no idea if this was the actually intent; however, if this is the case, I feel that the shirt does make sense - even if it relies entirely on pop culture.

Ramyb: I like it. Even though it is a reference to Star Wars... or possibly Spaceballs... or possibly Family Guy, I think that it is a clever design. I do wish that his left arm wasn't so long and that the cape/desk issue were fixed though. Other than that, I find it to be a very wearable design.

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other user(s). Please keep in mind that these are only opinions and should not be inherently considered as factual statements. Thank you.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
bluetuba wrote:We'll continue to argue that quality and integrity are important, and people like you will continue to argue that popularity and profit are all that matters. It's a blood war (to drop a D&D reference) that never ends.

Woot ultimately determines what the derby is. The results speak for themselves.
Ramyb (et. al.) provide(s) product the Woot public wants, Woot sells it to them.
The end.
Arguments to "quality and integrity" are shouts in the wind.
(Tilting at Woot-mills was my prior metaphor)

Dailies (and arguably double-takes, ECs) are another matter entirely.

move along

alephnull2k1

bluetuba wrote:It's a point that has been argued a hundred times before by those of us particularly annoyed by it over the years and new groups of people every once in a while.

The woot derby is a special thing, and to see it trampled and dominated by somebody with Ramy's "traits" isn't fun. We'll continue to argue that quality and integrity are important, and people like you will continue to argue that popularity and profit are all that matters. It's a blood war (to drop a D&D reference) that never ends.

Then it needs to be solved the way the founding fathers solved it, when they were afraid that the great unwashed masses would elect bad presidents. Set up an "electoral college" for the "special" Derby process, so that you can correct it when "people like me" excercise their "one w00ter, one vote" prerogative in ways that irritate and displease you. Or go create your own theme park with blackjack and hookers. Go be special in special-land and don't invite anyone who's not special like you. But consider this...the people who make this thing called "Derby" possible, who dream up the themes, and make up the rules, and turn the crank on the Rejectionator, are clearly NOT interested in any sort of censure of ramyb. They are the ones who have the control over what's available to vote for. They're the ones you need to convince, not me. I'm clearly too stupid to decide for myself what I should spend $10 or $15 to wear on my person, so I shouldn't have bad choices.

Quality is another subjective measure, particularly in "art". So, which qualities are to be valued? Feel free to answer in essay form.

cruelnv

bluetuba wrote:It's a point that has been argued a hundred times before by those of us particularly annoyed by it over the years and new groups of people every once in a while.

This could easily be appended with "of which there are only few."

Let's be honest here, for every RamyB hater on here, there are *arbitrary number* times as many fans. Now I agree that artists on here don't always have the best/most accurate artwork, and I sometimes feel that someone else "deserves" to win. But, in those cases, I am often times in the minority because that is not what shirt.woot ever has been or ever will be about.(at least as far as I know... please see disclaimer)

Directed to all haters and no one in particular: Honestly, just deal with it. Quit trolling someone else because they don't meet your standards.

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other user(s). Please keep in mind that these are only opinions and should not be inherently considered as factual statements. Thank you.

nonman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nonman

Reaallly awesome. Nice work Maddy.

cruelnv

alephnull2k1 wrote:
Quality is another subjective measure, particular in "art". So, which qualities are to be valued? Feel free to answer in essay form.

When studying the DaDa art movement (most of which I personally despise), my history of art professor gave us this Clement Greenberg quote that has stuck with me over the years when regarding art that I may not find to be of my personal tastes in quality:

"You like it, that's all, whether it's a landscape or abstract. You like it. It hits you. You don't have to read it. The work of art-sculpture or painting-forces your eye."

cruelnv

Re: The New No. 2

Very cool design. Simple and beautiful. =)

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
lonelypond wrote:Who doesn't need a napping shirt? Cute cats.

hyuk thanks lonelypond!

partimejudas wrote:I hate cats, but the cuteness gets my vote...

You probably just need to spend some more time with the nice ones;) Thanks partimejudas!

And thanks to all the voters!!

cruelnv

Re: Waiting For The Bus

I only counted 4 as well... I neglected to notice the one directly behind me. =/

Nice work on this one. I personally love that it's so difficult to see the ninjas. My friends normally stare at my woot shirts to figure out what the joke is or what they're referencing; this one will be a perfect addition!

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: Argh, homework! No, Argyle homework.

Thanks all! This had a pretty good run for a Monday afternoon entry. Hopefully an HM can give it some new life...

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
j5 wrote:I feel like there should be a something in the middle of that, like a Wolf, or Rebecca Black.

not sure what you're getting at, but ok...

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
alephnull2k1 wrote:Then it needs to be solved the way the founding fathers solved it, when they were afraid that the great unwashed masses would elect bad presidents. Set up an "electoral college" for the "special" Derby process, so that you can correct it when "people like me" excercise their "one w00ter, one vote" prerogative in ways that irritate and displease you. Or go create your own theme park with blackjack and hookers. Go be special in special-land and don't invite anyone who's not special like you. But consider this...the people who make this thing called "Derby" possible, who dream up the themes, and make up the rules, and turn the crank on the Rejectionator, are clearly NOT interested in any sort of censure of ramyb. They are the ones who have the control over what's available to vote for. They're the ones you need to convince, not me. I'm clearly too stupid to decide for myself what I should spend $10 or $15 to wear on my person, so I shouldn't have bad choices.

Quality is another subjective measure, particularly in "art". So, which qualities are to be valued? Feel free to answer in essay form.

Mentioning that it's an endless argument that's happened 100 times before basically means I'm not interested in having it again. "Quality is subjective" and "You are an elitest jerk" are all well worn paths. If you really want an essay response I suggest you go digging through the forums and find one of many made over the years.

I'm not the sort that will devote endless essays to fighting over this. :P

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

elrohirthehasty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elrohirthehasty
Re: bach in school

Which song is it? Or did you just make it up?

maddybagel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maddybagel
masoncoram wrote:Also, you can only use up to six different colors. I see at least seven. And there can't be any gradients, which there appears to be.

Oooooh I didn't know that. If I ever decide to make a shirt again I'll keep that in mind.

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
ramyb wrote:I read the comments and thought about them but I don't necessarily agree with all or most of them. I'm not sure what about this design implies laziness, considering it took the entire day on Thursday to complete. Penis hat? really? It is extremely frustrating to have put a lot of effort into something then have it called a "rough draft" considering the level of polished it is. There were several intentional decisions I made where I sacrificed realism for clarity, which I think is totally fine in the cartooning world. I'm not sure why this, of all the entries in the derby, is the one that is considered the worst in internal anatomical consistency or the one with orangutan arms considering some of the other entries, especially some of those in the fog.

The visual impact of the design is exactly what I wanted it to be, so I didn't want to make any changes and disrupt that. Ultimately I will not please everyone, so I can only decide based on what I believe myself. Could someone else make improvements to the design? Potentially, but given the limitations of my skillset I am pleased with the results and find a lot of the criticism of this design to be overly harsh and unwarranted. If you actually cared about my personal improvement then I might take what you have to say into consideration more often, but when your goal in commenting is to convince others not to vote it is easier to ignore, even if there is value in what you are saying.

To be clear, before my words get twisted, I'm not saying every piece of criticism that I have received, either on this or in the past, has been overly harsh or unwarranted. A lot of what has been said to me I have taken into account and worked on for future derbies. It may be hard for you to believe, but I spend a great deal of time obsessing over minor details for several hours after finishing a design. Much of that time is spent trying to correct the types of mistakes that people have brought up to me in the past. Unfortunately, since you don't get to see the actual rough draft, you have no point of comparison and you can just continue to assume that I don't care about my work. That's your call, I won't be able to change your mind, especially since our ideas of visual appeal strongly conflict and I have no intention of changing mine just to appease you.

You are a strong and talented person.

I could never hack it at woot because my spirit wasn't strong enough to persevere in the Thunderdome of Hate. A death by a thousand piss ant comments from trolls that don't know any better than to try to bring others down.

It's definitely an interesting experience.

It's also quite interesting to watch you get flamed with hate every week and watch you keep on keeping on. It's very admirable.

You win alot. I would assume through woot, you have earned yourself quite a great deal of financial freedom, AND artistic freedom. You make art that you art direct yourself.

That kind of life for an artist is rare. The ability to create such a life is an artform in itself.

And I think that's why you are rewarded so handsomely. It's not just your craft, but your perseverance, thriving in an otherwise difficult world, unemployment, recession, Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!