j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
SkekTek wrote:not sure what you're getting at, but ok...

advice wolf

move along

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
yellowflower wrote:I always thought Darth Vader and Storm Troopers hats were a little on the phallic side. I don't think you can make a good Darth Vader or Storm Trooper who doesn't look penisy.

True. One could make a *good* Darth Vader or Storm Trooper, and not look like a OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG PWNIES ...

Or one could make something like this. O_o

alephnull2k1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alephnull2k1
bluetuba wrote:Mentioning that it's an endless argument that's happened 100 times before basically means I'm not interested in having it again. "Quality is subjective" and "You are an elitest jerk" are all well worn paths. If you really want an essay response I suggest you go digging through the forums and find one of many made over the years.

I'm not the sort that will devote endless essays to fighting over this. :P

Honestly, when I invited the essay response, I thought I was replying to the English teacher I started the argument with, so feel free to ignore it. That you felt the need to jump in and start having an argument that you said you don't want to have is mystifying.

Put your tongue back in your head. It's incompatible with your high-minded ideals.

pelican123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pelican123
Re: Infinite Dread

Shouldn't he be dreaming about having fun on the swing?

damask16

quality posts: 1 Private Messages damask16

I want this to win so bad!! I'm a sucker for anything Holy Grail related.... Please print this elsewhere if it doesn't make it to the fog.

atlanticavenue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atlanticavenue
Re: Gym Class Bullying

I was REALLY hoping this would make it in the running. Unfortunately I think you got too late of a start Should this fall under another category in an upcoming derby I hope you'll resubmit this one. I'd love to own it!

majorbro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages majorbro

The weirdest thing about this shirt is how I went from at first glance (without seeing it in detail, without thinking about the idea behind it, without knowing the artist) instantly wanted to buy it if it became the woot at midnight, to after hearing its critisms and seeing the flaws pointed out, I dont want to buy it now.
:/

Earlysong

quality posts: 21 Private Messages Earlysong
popguynyc wrote:So how do I vote for this? Is that the point of this Derby thing?
new here....

Hello! You have to make at least one purchase with a woot account to be able to vote. Once you have done this, you can vote on derby entries starting Friday at noon until the following Thursday at noon, when the derby closes.

I love this website! ^^

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
majorbro wrote:The weirdest thing about this shirt is how I went from at first glance (without seeing it in detail, without thinking about the idea behind it, without knowing the artist) instantly wanted to buy it if it became the woot at midnight, to after hearing its critisms and seeing the flaws pointed out, I dont want to buy it now.
:/

That's most of Ramy's entries in a nutshell. They get votes from snap decision OOOOH SHINY or love of bunnies, grim reapers, or pop culture turned chibi but when you look at it up close you see all the flaws.

You can make the argument that the instant reaction is the only thing that matters on a tee shirt strangers are only going to glance at, but some of us like to be proud of what we are wearing.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
alephnull2k1 wrote:Honestly, when I invited the essay response, I thought I was replying to the English teacher I started the argument with, so feel free to ignore it. That you felt the need to jump in and start having an argument that you said you don't want to have is mystifying.

Put your tongue back in your head. It's incompatible with your high-minded ideals.

lol

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

jcadieux

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcadieux
mafafu888 wrote:As a teacher I find this shirt has neither rhyme nor reason. As someone mentioned earlier, there is no context for the character that allows this shirt to make sense. It is just a "stick a pop culture reference in a different place" shirt. Bleh.

Did I mention I was a math teacher...?

ghost650

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ghost650
taternuggets wrote:And you suck at dodgeball.

And you suck at Dodgeball.

jumcdona

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jumcdona
DianaSprinkle wrote:"Caterpillar Dreams"

Textbooks for school make a great sleeping place. Caterpillar cat is studying to be a beautiful butterfly. Learning through osmosis!

I haz a sad! I love your Caterpillar and want a shirt so bad! Ever since the first one you made, I'm in love with the cutie.

agincourtdb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages agincourtdb
ArdillaCiega wrote:The only problem I have with it is that the noise used for adults isn't just a straight trombone. The teacher would need to be covering the bell with a plunger head. I guess that would be hard to capture in silhouette though, huh? Chalk it up to artistic license I suppose.

From what I understand it's not just a plunger, it's a plunger over a pixie mute. However, I don't think that damages the joke simply because most people don't know that, and just think it's a trombone.

p.s. I want this shirt. :-)

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle
Re: Late for school

Terrific - so clever!
+1

enjil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enjil
Re: Protractor

Please let me know if this prints somewhere else, I'd buy this adorable shirt in a heartbeat.

cubby77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cubby77
Re: Night School

Two twenty is an odd time. To me it says morning or mid afternoon.

bluejester

quality posts: 564 Private Messages bluejester
Re: Navi Teaches

This was actually pretty funny and I'd like to see a revision of this pop up in another shirt site. Keep us posted! =)

anishell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anishell

Hamean78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hamean78
Re: teacher talks funny

This would've been better if the screen was on the bottom third of the shirt. Would've looked like Charlie Browns shirt and caused a double take. Beyond that much love on the color and theme

Schaumbee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Schaumbee
Re: Waiting For The Bus

Great design and great color palette!

Random Wooter

iggyflea1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iggyflea1
Re: She Turned Me Into a Newt!

I would totally make this my first WOOT purchase!

mogthemoogle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mogthemoogle
Re: Cell Division

This comment thread makes me think of pretty much any given "Mac or PC" argument. Both sides are incredibly hypocritical, and neither are actually right or wrong because it's most often a subjective argument.

asher0716

quality posts: 1 Private Messages asher0716
Re: Substitute Teacher

To everyone who so arrogantly, and often ignorantly, criticized the creator of this shirt...look who just won top 3!

It is so ridiculous how many people here think so highly of their "critique of art" when they apparently don't understand true art at all. Since when was art ever in perfect and life-like proportions and perspective? If anything, THAT'S EXACTLY what makes art!

The whole point of art is for the creator, who can be any of us, to express whatever he wants, WITHOUT being limited to reason or logic. And if the viewer doesn't understand it, that's their problem.

Whatever ramyb's intentions were with this shirt, does something have to be all out picasso, with complete distortions, for it to be accepted? Art allows us to do the impossible. Otherwise we'd just take real-life pictures and put them on a shirt.

Hey Ramyb, good job dealing with the criticism, and even taking some into consideration. I wasn't even planning on getting a shirt from this derby, but simply because you stood firm with your design and the freedom in art, I am going to purchase this shirt.

Because now, this shirt represents not only an awesome Star Wars reference, but the ability of an artist to stick by what he felt like designing, because that is the beauty of art, whether for woot shirt derbies or Sistene chapels.

kirsberis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kirsberis

I was thinking the same thing! It is not incidental that the answer is 42. This shirt is fantastic! I can't wait to get it.

lilDjinn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilDjinn
Re: No.2

Yeah, too bad it got rejected, I liked this shirt! :-)

laurelap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laurelap
Re: An Apple for Teacher

I love this shirt...I would give it to all my old teaching colleagues...I want to buy it!

elindholm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elindholm

This discussion cracks me up. For the record, I don't particularly like the shirt, but I admire ramyb's fairly calm defense of his work.

Shirt.woot is a popularity contest. Artistic merit, which a select few have made it their mission to defend, isn't relevant. I don't do visual art, but I am a classical musician, where the same principles are in play. There are only a few forums in which artistic merit is a priority, and a broad-spectrum poll of the internet community giving "thumbs-up" or "thumbs-down" votes sure ain't one of them.

It's a $10 t-shirt. Have some perspective. No one's going to hang it in their den.

When you're trying to appeal to the masses, you go for the cheap, obvious effect. (That's true in music too.) And if getting a return on your investment is important, you limit how much time you sink into the project, especially if it won't affect your bottom line. That's just simple economics.

Those of you who are offended by ramyb's success need to find another arena in which to wage your artistic battles. Those arenas are out there, but you'll have to apply some common sense in order to figure out the good places to look. A $10 t-shirt popularity contest? Seriously?

weblizard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages weblizard
dylia wrote:The more things change, the more they stay the same. Despite the enormous technical advances in schools, it's uncanny how much tablet computers look like the slate boards of Ye Olden Days.

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated!

I liked it (albeit too late to vote!)
If you ever tweak it, you might consider including a finger/hand with the tablet to keep with the theme of writing surface & implement...

Nice entry!

tommytrex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tommytrex
gdvorak wrote:Aurora Borealis? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within a classroom?

Ahahaha!

Love me a good Simpson's reference. Well done!

tasaint

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tasaint
Re: Preschool Ninjas

I love the whole flying star, numchucks and breaking wood scene. Ninjas! I'm in.

meyers1000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meyers1000
Re: Protractor

cool

shaneman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shaneman

Love this!

sh0u

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sh0u
Re: Epic Daydreams

THIS THIS THIS I WILL PERSONALLY BUY THIS IF IT GOES ON PRINT.

MasonJay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MasonJay
Re: Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR)

As a teacher, I love this shirt!

ellenstockdale

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ellenstockdale
Re: HONEY BADGER IS CRAZY

I really need this tee shirt - maybe several. . .

lytic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lytic
Re: HONEY BADGER IS CRAZY

I would love to buy this shirt too... was it ever printed anywhere?

carolion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carolion

wish I could buy this as a teacher gift, please make this available!