Morticai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Morticai

Diggin' your groovy style, this shirt rocks - I'm all for the sharp rays*

Hammylink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hammylink
AdderXYU wrote:It's also not remotely on theme. Print ahoy!

If you are smart, you see stuff like this when you are tripping...Oh wait! We're not supposed to encourage drug use here. :\

Hammylink

Re: Psychedelia 4

It's eye catching, but it feels too symmetrical to me. It seems like this could have been done in 5 minutes in Illustrator.

Hammylink

Re: Brush the Rainbow

I like this. It reminds me of how I see a feature of beauty in a person and it makes surroundings bland by comparison.

weirdpuckett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages weirdpuckett
Re: Fractal Tree

Joan Baez would be singing "Koombaya" about now . . .

splodie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages splodie

[quote postid="3976894" user="jondeere89"]

Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=42735]High on Nature

Wow, thanks for all the compliments! I did submit it a little late, unfortunately... especially considering I already had it finished before they even announced the derby! I had originally made it for the nature derby, but didn't feel like it would fit, so I saved it.

I put it on my FB stream. Hope some of my friends came over to vote. I know it went in late but I really hope it proves to be a dark horse candidate over the next day! Good luck!

Tsumayouji

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tsumayouji
Re: Me llamo llama (RESUB)

Yay accent mark! See, now you're one of the few llama t-shirts that has it right. Plus, yeah, yours is the only really colorful one, and I much prefer your llama's style and facial expression than all the others. I give it a big thumbs up!

Cranberry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cranberry
Re: Go with the Flow

I don't normally like black shirts, but I can't imagine this on any other color. There are three shirts I'd buy this derby, but this is the one I want most. I hope it prints!

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
visix wrote:I disagree, it is my opinion that opinions can be wrong. And since that is an opinion, I can't be wrong. So, obviously your opinion is wrong that opinions can't be wrong because my opinion can't be wrong stating that opinions can be wrong since, as you said, opinions can't be wrong.

quality post in my opinion.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: A Breath of Fresh Water

These colors look really nice on Navy, I like your choices. And putting wings on an emblem always makes it look better!

I have a weird tendency to that myself. ^__^

GMV, SubBass49.

mrsjamie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrsjamie
Re: Psychadelic Nature

I love this design! why isn't it getting more attention? you did good.

mrsjamie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrsjamie
Re: Flower Power

well, I really like it.

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
Re: Magic Ride

dont get me wrong, this guys stuff is AMAZING, he makes awesome illustrations, but he's posted three pieces in this derby, two of which are in the fog, and two of them have bunnies in them. Now I realize he probably had some of these designs already finished and so didnt want to go and take the bunnies out or change them, but the rules are there for a reason. It's ignoring certain rules for certain people on this site that makes me want to stop coming here. I had a design that was kicked for religious reasons, but in past derbies I had seen the exact same theme represented with no rejection. so why was mine offensive and not the other? im just saying that a lot of people are bagging on some of the other entries that are in the fog for being "off topic" which is definitely debatable but amazingly not too many people are noticing that two of this guys shirts have bunnies in them, which is a rule that is NOT debatable.

omnitarian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian
thatrobert wrote:

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Winning a BLA does NOT mean this shirt won't print -- I'm hoping it does.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • To be in England in the summertime with my love close to the edge.

Gratze!

AlyssaRae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AlyssaRae
visix wrote:1) Make standard animal joke
2) Color it purple (CRAZY!!!)
3) Win derby while being totally off theme.
4) Profit!

Exactly. I wish we could down vote designs. A good portion of the shirt.woot community seriously lacks something mentally...

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
bassanimation wrote:Color me enlightened. Ironic, seeing as how this is the Psychedelia derby... ^_^

Also, this was the double standard I was actually talking about in the Patrick shirt. Had the bunny been present on another artist's shirt who doesn't have the status of Alex S., Im pretty sure the community elders would have BBQ'd them for ignoring the rules. I could be jumping to conclusions..but it still looks really fishy. -shrug- Rules can't just be applied to some people. Everyone, even the cool guys, should have to follow them.

(note: This has nothing to do with the art itself..which we can all agree is outstanding.)

I still think it's a dog.

And I have noticed that "the cool guys" tend to follow the rules far better than the people who are oft criticized. This is actually why people seem to always criticize the same people; because said people continuously ignore derby rules.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

RLMoran

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RLMoran
Re: Go with the Flow

Wow. I want this.

ilovdedyoupiggy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ilovdedyoupiggy
prettynerdy wrote:Ahh... refreshing simplicity. Beautiful!

Thank you! My first try on woot ^^

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
kylemittskus wrote:I still think it's a dog.

And I have noticed that "the cool guys" tend to follow the rules far better than the people who are oft criticized. This is actually why people seem to always criticize the same people; because said people continuously ignore derby rules.

I would be willing to argue that the animal in question is no more deformed than the average chibi animal, which noone seems to defend as "not a bunny". Also it is worth pointing out, IMO, that the regular transgressors of prolific bunny designs have never entered one in a "no bunny" derby that I am aware. (I couldn't care less if the design in question is a deformed bunny, dog, sheep, or other animal.)

I also pretty strongly disagree that this design is so egregiously off theme as many posters seem to want to say. What is psychedelia to you? Is it crazy bright colors? Is it crazy drippy surrealism ala Dali? Is it a kaleidoscope? Is it mosaic tiles? Is it something you'd imagine seeing while on hallucinogenics? This design abides by as many of those definitions as a rainbow chameleon, a rainbow horse, a rainbow tree, and a kaleidoscope turtle, without any question, IMO.

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
megsck wrote: Now I realize he probably had some of these designs already finished and so didnt want to go and take the bunnies out or change them, but the rules are there for a reason.

Exactly right. The rules are there for a reason: to keep the entries fresh and original as possible. Otherwise, we might have adorable bunnies every derby (because for some reason, bunnies get wooters every time).

However, this entry *is* fresh and original, on topic, and doesn't need the bunny to work. I know, it still has a bunny...but I'm all for letting Woot decide on this one. And hopefully they already have.

which is a rule that is NOT debatable

If Woot deems it so, it will be so. ;) Welcome to Woot, where consistency is sometimes not so consistent. Which can be a blessing or curse..

megsck

marzipanapple wrote:However, this entry *is* fresh and original, on topic, and doesn't need the bunny to work. I know, it still has a bunny...but I'm all for letting Woot decide on this one. And hopefully they already have.

if it didnt need the bunny, why openly defy rules and keep it in? rules are there for a reason, and if a site sets them up and then just decides who doesnt have to follow them, then that site is corrupt and should just pick the shirts it wants to print as opposed to letting other people vote. dont get me wrong, the design is awesome but just because your awesome doesnt mean that you have the right to make your own rules. he has one entry with no bunnies, why not just enter that one? i have nothing against this artist, and i hope his frog shirt gets printed, my gripe is with a site that says they have a competition for anyone who wants to submit, to keep this competition fair we have rules, then when something breaks the rules they just look the other way? then why didnt they look the other way for other things? why do we have rules at all? its a slippery slope and to keep the respect of their viewers they should be a little more consistant.

megsck

its a bunny, in fact two of his shirts have bunnies. the fact that your are stretching the rules in order to keep his designs from not being disqualified because they have bunnies is the same as people stretching the definition of psychedelic to keep this design in. the only difference is that the rules clearly state no bunnies, so if you have a bunny there is no way to dispute that rule. on the other hand the definitions of psychedelia are so varied and depend on a lot of personal opinion, its very easy to do anything and put it into that category.

People who dont like this shirt are just trying to find a way for it to get rejected, but if this shirt is rejected then two of AlexMDC's shirts should be rejected. you cant have it both ways.

zlawrenc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zlawrenc

I really like the design and color. The quarter note is backwards, though. If the stem faces down instead of up, it is usually on the left side of the note head. If you were going for this effect, just tell me to shut up .

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
megsck wrote:if it didnt need the bunny, why openly defy rules and keep it in? rules are there for a reason, and if a site sets them up and then just decides who doesnt have to follow them, then that site is corrupt and should just pick the shirts it wants to print as opposed to letting other people vote. dont get me wrong, the design is awesome but just because your awesome doesnt mean that you have the right to make your own rules. he has one entry with no bunnies, why not just enter that one? i have nothing against this artist, and i hope his frog shirt gets printed, my gripe is with a site that says they have a competition for anyone who wants to submit, to keep this competition fair we have rules, then when something breaks the rules they just look the other way? then why didnt they look the other way for other things? why do we have rules at all? its a slippery slope and to keep the respect of their viewers they should be a little more consistant.

They did look the other way for other things. Half of the fog is off-theme.

All the irony of someone who took to complaining in depth about her previous off-theme rejection aside, this is a lesson in "letter of law" and "spirit of law". The critter in alex's piece, being that its entire face and body is being smeared back, could technically be anything. That it is likely a bunny, however, brings up the actual REASON for the rule. It is not a hatred of bunnies. It is a tiring of relying on pointless cuteness for a win. It is incredibly telling that people who never seem to care about thematic irrelevance are the people who would jump on some of the most artistic pieces for such a negligible thing.

Woot is a company that once rejected a cat in a pumpkin for being "already printed", and allowed the resub to remain in despite it being the exact same cat with tiger stripes. They're never going to care about fairness. But the bunny rule is in place to allow work like this alexmdc print to have a chance. In objecting, people are basically not understanding the purpose, and are condemning the exact work the rule intends to foster.

I am not going to pretend that I would not prefer the "bunny rule" to be more basic and to-the-point: no pointless mongoose would be better. No horrible designs would be best. But it is nice to see something that is an actual DESIGN have a chance. It's nice to see something artistic and wearable. Here's the difference: No one, if woot chose to reject it, would not get why they did it. I don't think anyone would have objected, only been upset they didn't do it sooner so Alex could rework it. But by them not rejecting it, most of us who are actually intellectually sound understand the why of it.

The fact is, woot shouldn't need ANY rules, because woot should just print good tees. People should not be submitting generic, repetitive crap that need these rules to come up. But until people start respecting that art is not all about money, and business has a responsibility to care about the product it sells, I don't think anyone who truly respects art cares. The rules exist to keep people who have no respect for them out. I don't think, looking at this piece, that anyone can say that Alex was at all disrespecting the theme at hand. It is, again, incredibly telling who the people are who care.

misrymonky

quality posts: 2 Private Messages misrymonky

That is not the teeth of a dog! lol

MSUandUGA

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MSUandUGA
Re: owl!

Hope it gets printed...I'm buying it!

finalthought

quality posts: 0 Private Messages finalthought
EdwardHyena wrote:I actually like this design, and as a Detroit resident would want one. Let us know if you send it somewhere else?

Agreed. I would love to wear a shirt with this design.

megsck

Re: lucy in the sky with cheez snax

i find myself singing this instead of the original lyrics now! weird but awesome at the same time.

megsck

AdderXYU wrote:All the irony of someone who took to complaining in depth about her previous off-theme rejection aside

thats just what i mean. they rejected my submission for a rule that wasn't even on the rule list. and not only that adam and eve were done in derbies before and not rejected. they are not consistant. all they have to do is state the rules and people should follow them, easy peasy. i did not mind mine being rejected for religious reasons, i just wanted them to have put that in the rules, like it is now, because then i wouldnt have done it and saved myself some time.

JorgeF

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JorgeF

This is the only shirt I would buy of all the one in the fog. And I think that the only one many many people would. Hope it prints!

-->no future<--

Stargaziey

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Stargaziey
prettynerdy wrote:I looove your choice of colors. I dunno if you did it on purpose, but using Mardi Gras colors with a bit of Voodoo is SO very New Orleans and I'm always down for a nod to my beloved hometown. Regardless of your intent, it's awesome and I want one. ;)

YES! Thank you! I'm so glad someone actually caught that. While doing this whole thing I kept thinking I wanted to do something with voodoo, but I was never really sure where exactly to go with it. However, the colors of Mardi Gras came to mind so I incorporated those. In fact, I originally had this on a black shirt, but the cranberry looked more trippy, so went with that since that was the theme.

lunadust12

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunadust12
zlawrenc wrote:I really like the design and color. The quarter note is backwards, though. If the stem faces down instead of up, it is usually on the left side of the note head. If you were going for this effect, just tell me to shut up .

lol that would be an oops on my part. but i wasnt going for an accurate staff anyway but still oops!

AlyssaRae

Re: Show Your True Colors

Thank god this didn't show up in the fog.

AlyssaRae

Re: Schrodinger's Cat

Umm, yeah. Great and all. But, what does this have to do with psychedelia, besides nothing?

MafiaAce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MafiaAce

This shirt is fantastic in every definition of the word.

AlyssaRae

How this shirt hasn't been rejected by now is completely beyond me.

monkeyhorse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkeyhorse
Re: Tree Frog

I love it, I will buy it.

srotu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srotu
DianaSprinkle wrote:Schrödinger's cat!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger%27s_cat

Completely Awesome!
Hope it prints, so I can buy one

thepliosaur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thepliosaur
Re: owl!

Oh no, I didn't see this and can't believe I missed it! I think this design makes a great shirt and I really hope it prints!!

Mattroid

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Mattroid
Re: In front of me at the movies

Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't there a giraffe in one of those old school "movie ratings" ads they used to play before movies? Like the one for G rated movies showed a family with kids and as the ratings got higher, the younger kids would be gone or the parents would cover up their eyes or something. Then for R rated it was just the parents...wasn't there one similar to that that just had this mysterious giraffe sitting a few seats down from the family? These were cartoony, obviously.

This was my first thought when I saw this shirt but I'm surprised no one else remembers that, so I'm wondering if I'm just remembering something that never happened...wouldn't be the first time!