omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano

I'll be away from the computer for a while, and because the comment system isn't working on the derby right now, here is the description of my design:

Loyalty - the willingness to make a personal sacrifice to strengthen a relationship

I consider myself a Loyal Friend. So, if any of my buddies turns into a zombie, they can count on me to "help" them!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
jbb04 wrote:

Does this make sense? Is it funny?

The blood is hurting your votes.
Adjust for great justice!

move along

fairydragon8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fairydragon8

I don't suppose anyone reads Terry Pratchett?

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
omarfeliciano wrote:I'll be away from the computer for a while, and because the comment system isn't working on the derby right now, here is the description of my design:

Loyalty - the willingness to make a personal sacrifice to strengthen a relationship

I consider myself a Loyal Friend. So, if any of my buddies turns into a zombie, they can count on me to "help" them!

You're a good man, Omar.

burnapaperzach

quality posts: 1 Private Messages burnapaperzach

Is this a no comment derby? Or has there ever been such a thing?

draco18s

quality posts: 0 Private Messages draco18s

So. No more threads for individual designs in order to comment on submissions?

Sigh.

collinvh

quality posts: 61 Private Messages collinvh
omarfeliciano wrote:

Thanks bro. I always knew you were a great friend.

j5

fairydragon8 wrote:I don't suppose anyone reads Terry Pratchett?

I caught your ref, but it is very obscure. Not sure (really doubt) if many folks here know of the Achings, since there hasn't been a movie or TV show about her

move along

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

draco18s wrote:So. No more threads for individual designs in order to comment on submissions?

Sigh.

burnapaperzach wrote:Is this a no comment derby? Or has there ever been such a thing?

Until someone official comes along and explains what's up, please do send in a beta feedback (at the top right of the page) about the lack of individual comment threads. It's what I'm doing right now. I'm pretty sure that since tgentry mentioned that they're aware of the voting issue, they're also aware of the comment issue. But I'm sure it doesn't hurt to give the woot people a proper head's up through official user feedback channels. Unless it does hurt. In which case I will totally retcon this comment later.

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
smatzke wrote:Can we add "No Mario" rule too? I would like to see a derby with no Mario and no Star Wars. Don't get me wrong, I love Mario and Star Wars, but I am kinda getting tired of them in a derby.

k? Thanks. Bye.

Based on the fact that no one voted a Mario Design into the top 10, I'd say everyone's tired of mario at the moment. Star Wars though is not so Tired of, and needed an artifical cap.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

bounty42

goldenthorn wrote:Until someone official comes along and explains what's up,
tgentry wrote:Hey guys, we're aware of the current voting issue. Most likely they're being recorded, but aren't being refreshed. We've got our guys on it!

That offical enough?

■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

bounty42

svelbjorn wrote:It would be interesting to see the results of a blind ballot. Not knowing who is in the lead until the winner is announced. It would force people to actually look at every design and judge on the merit of the individual design rather than how many votes it already has...

The result would be fewer votes by annoyance. And blow-out by Redirectors.

I don't mind browsing 30 good designs and voting for my favorites. I'm not shlogging though 120+ designs, 50% of which are poor to middling, to vote for the 5 I like.

Look at the last Derby: 131 Designs, >464 votes to fog. 63 shirts (just under half) failed to score 46 votes (1/10th of the fog). Of those bottom 63 there are 5 I would have submitted (and only 2 I voted for).

j5

bounty42 wrote:That offical enough?

As noted.

goldenthorn wrote:...I'm pretty sure that since tgentry mentioned that they're aware of the voting issue, they're also aware of the comment issue. But I'm sure it doesn't hurt to give the woot people a proper head's up through official user feedback channels. Unless it does hurt. In which case I will totally retcon this comment later.

move along

bounty42

j5 wrote:

That was totally retconed

j5

bounty42 wrote:That was totally retconed

no, sorry, it was there before your "Mario" post.

move along

jbb04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbb04
j5 wrote:The blood is hurting your votes.
Adjust for great justice!

My original was very bloody. I toned it down a ton. Removed the big pool of blood. So, do you think the shirt would still communicate, without the blood? Would the joke still work?

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

bounty42 wrote:That offical enough?

Bless your heart, your sweetness shames me!

j5

jbb04 wrote:My original was very bloody. I toned it down a ton. Removed the big pool of blood. So, do you think the shirt would still communicate, without the blood? Would the joke still work?

Yes. All you need is the crown and banner, maybe slippers too.

eta: leave both up, it would be an interesting experiment.

move along

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

We're aware of the comments issue. There was some sort of server blow-out this morning and apparently they're still dealing with the aftermath. Rather peaceful though isn't it?...

bounty42

tgentry wrote:We're aware of the comments issue. There was some sort of server blow-out this morning and apparently they're still dealing with the aftermath. Rather peaceful though isn't it?...

Yeah, like that moment in the movie where all the animals and noise stops that signals something's about to kill you.

I don't do peaceful...

riknik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages riknik

Staff

bounty42 wrote:Yeah, like that moment in the movie where all the animals and noise stops that signals something's about to kill you.

I don't do peaceful...

That's when you know that the aliens from Signs are upon you.

j5

riknik wrote:That's when you know that the aliens from Signs are upon you.

//gets water gun.

move along

bounty42

j5 wrote://gets water gun.

No one announced we have Discussion threads?

kt013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kt013

I'm having a lot of trouble submitting my entry, does anyone know the problem? The error message says Woot servers might be backed up or something.

jfsiv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfsiv

Hay guys I'm trying to decide whether or not to put in a V2 of my Beauty Within Death shirt. So what do you guys think?

feloniousacronis

quality posts: 7 Private Messages feloniousacronis
jbb04 wrote:My original was very bloody. I toned it down a ton. Removed the big pool of blood. So, do you think the shirt would still communicate, without the blood? Would the joke still work?

Don't forget a scepter (bent) and or a bouquet of roses (mangled, or course.)

everyanynot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages everyanynot

Hey guys need some help here first time doing this. What doesn't mean by Pantone colors only and it says only 6 colors but it seems like some designs have more than that?.?.?...

Is it ok if u just take a color and make it darker or lighter?

And what is all that stuff about gradients and halftones????????

squigglevision

quality posts: 0 Private Messages squigglevision
everyanynot wrote:Hey guys need some help here first time doing this. What doesn't mean by Pantone colors only and it says only 6 colors but it seems like some designs have more than that?.?.?...

Is it ok if u just take a color and make it darker or lighter?

And what is all that stuff about gradients and halftones????????

Hey, I've only been lurking around here for a bit over a week now, but I think I can help you out.

You should probably check out the "Community" section of Shirt.Woot(!) and head to "Artist Resources" - there's some great advice over there - but I'll try to answer your questions (and hope it's not a wall of text!)

Pantone colours are what the designs will be printed in - specifically Pantone Solid Coated - so you either need to use pantone Solid Coated colours in your design or you can let Woot colour match them for you. Sometimes the matching process might not work out the way you want it to, so I suggest that you try to use the colours you want - that way you'll have more control over the printed design. The way you do this depends on what you use to create your designs - for example, if you use Photoshop or illustrator, you can find the colours in the colour library. There's a tutorial here
If you use a different program, you'll have to find out if it has its own Pantone colours, and where to download them, if possible.

To my knowledge, variations and shades of colours are not considered the same colour. With every colour, Woot need to make a new screen for that type of ink, so if they use a different colour/ink they need to use a different screen for it, and using the same ink won't cause the right variations in colour - i.e make it darker/lighter - so the colours are treated separately.
Tl;dr - Only use six colours, no more! (That includes shades of the same colour.)

Some designs in the derby might have more colours, but they won't be able to be printed and will probably be rejected. But you can be creative! For example, some of them only look like they have more colours - by using the shirt colour creatively within the image itself, treating it as part of the design, you can generate different levels of shading and depth to the image. Also, halftones can make a design appear to use more colours than it does.

Now on to halftones - if you don't know what they are, you probably shouldn't use them, as they're hard to master. The general rule seems to be "less is more" around here, unless you're experienced with using them and use them professionally. Halftones are little dots that, when added to an image, can make its colours look like a gradient - as in, it can make it look like there are different shades of colour when there's only really one or two. There's a tutorial in the "resources" section so you can practice, if you're interested.

If you use a Raster art program (e.g Photoshop, GIMP) I think the general consensus is to stay away from gradients, or Woot won't be able to print your work and it'll be rejected. According to the submission page, if you use vector programs like Illustrator, they'll convert gradients to halftones, but I'm not sure how that works.

There are other things you should be aware of, so I'll link you to some tutorials. These show you the canvas sizes and settings to use, and also brush sizes - keep in mind that Woot can't print details that are too small.

Unofficial rules
For Photoshop - a bit outdated, but should still have the basics
For GIMP users

Now get creating! :D

kjsmason2010

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kjsmason2010

Why do some of the shirts have a ? by the number of votes? What does that mean? I want to know where the one I like is standing in the race.

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

kjsmason2010 wrote:Why do some of the shirts have a ? by the number of votes? What does that mean? I want to know where the one I like is standing in the race.

Hello and welcome to woot! Answers to your questions can be found in the shirt.woot FAQ. In fact, the shirt.woot FAQ would make for great reading and education on many aspects of shirt.woot! Enjoy your reading and happy learnings!

hollandgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hollandgirl

LOVE it, makes total sense.

hollandgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hollandgirl

maybe some blonde bouffant hair out of the corner of the mouth? I love it. I would buy it in any form.

kjsmason2010

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kjsmason2010
goldenthorn wrote:Hello and welcome to woot! Answers to your questions can be found in the shirt.woot FAQ. In fact, the shirt.woot FAQ would make for great reading and education on many aspects of shirt.woot! Enjoy your reading and happy learnings!

Got it! Thank you kindly. I have two super cool shirts thus far and intend on adding to my collection (if I can vote out all the kitties).