captstuff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages captstuff

I mostly agree with the 1st rule (horses beating well past their death.) Especially Nintendo themed ones, but I think zombies should be at the top of that list. Since it is not, if any artist makes a shirt poking fun at the zombie apocylics fanitics, it will get my vote.

lilsquiggle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle

So, just sat down and started sketching in Photoshop. This is my rough design so far. Obviously the linework is very sketch right now, Im just trying to get the idea down and get a feel for it.

I want to put some flames in, but I have no clue on style/colouration so Id love some suggestions or thoughts. Also, general feedback on the style so far.

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

lulz, twas a color I mixed using my personal color collection

here are a few options!

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
nathanwpyle wrote:lulz, twas a color I mixed using my personal color collection

here are a few options!

pretty pictures were here

Haha, wow, I totally missed the color issue. Clearly 2 cups of coffee wasn't enough today.

I know it's not the most popular color and wasn't an option listed, but what about a creme colored shirt to get the sand color. Otherwise, of those listed, I think I like the silver or slate the best. With the red and blue, the happy pirate sand angel wasn't quite as clear. Clearly I keep picturing a periodic table on the beach.

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle
aerc712 wrote:Haha, wow, I totally missed the color issue. Clearly 2 cups of coffee wasn't enough today.

I know it's not the most popular color and wasn't an option listed, but what about a creme colored shirt to get the sand color. Otherwise, of those listed, I think I like the silver or slate the best. With the red and blue, the happy pirate sand angel wasn't quite as clear. Clearly I keep picturing a periodic table on the beach.

Haha FOR SURE I thought beach when I made it too hmmmmm I like the silver because it makes his discovery pop

Cream is out there but it doesn't pop as much and also ...it's cream

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
nathanwpyle wrote:Haha FOR SURE I thought beach when I made it too hmmmmm I like the silver because it makes his discovery pop

Cream is out there but it doesn't pop as much and also ...it's cream

That's what I thought with the silver. The gold really stands out plus the smaller details are clear as well. The happy nerdy pirate is well done.

PixelPants

quality posts: 70 Private Messages PixelPants
cmdixon2 wrote:I haven't entered a derby in forever. I do have an idea this week though so I might try it. It involves pimping out a Goldfinch. Stay tuned.

Do it Chris. The derbies could do with more of your clever ideas.

3rdmaestro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 3rdmaestro

Wait, does our design actually have to be about gold itself? Or can we have a picture with something gold colored in it?

PixelPants

quality posts: 70 Private Messages PixelPants
Spiritgreen wrote:

It would be great to see you back in the game Matt. I like your idea but I'm not sure it's got enough of a hook yet. Make the suitcase anthropomorphic or put a golden cat in it

noxandpy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages noxandpy

Hey guys! Anyone around that can confirm or deny the Chinese characters for "golden fire" ? Don't want to fall into the incorrect character's trap :P

darel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darel
noxandpy wrote:Hey guys! Anyone around that can confirm or deny the Chinese characters for "golden fire" ? Don't want to fall into the incorrect character's trap :P

It's 金火 as Google correctly translates!

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
cfdunbar wrote:Funny. I'm working on a dragon with his hoarde - not so much tolkein themed but D&D themed.

Yes, I'm replying to myself - I mentioned a D&D themed design and this is what I have so far:

Titled: All that glitters...

noxandpy

darel wrote:It's 金火 as Google correctly translates!

Oh yay! Thank you!!! :D

lilsquiggle

cfdunbar wrote:Yes, I'm replying to myself - I mentioned a D&D themed design and this is what I have so far:

Titled: All that glitters...

Thats looking like that could turn into a seriously epic design. I look forwards to seeing it in colour!

yellowflower

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yellowflower
nathanwpyle wrote:Okay here's an idea with no pop culture

AU-RRRR we found it

or some appropriate title

I don't mean this as a suggestion for this particular entry, because I like what you've done to it, but I just want to say, for anyone's future reference... the periodic table always kind of looked like a pirate ship to me anyway. Add a couple of masts and sails and some waves near the bottom and bam! Instant pirate ship!

lilsquiggle

So despite some experimenting I couldn't work out how on earth to get a decent background working for my phoenix image. As such I moved on to a different idea with the intention to come back to it later. Im not quite sure how I managed to do it so fast, but I just finished this, what do you think?

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
lilsquiggle wrote:....but I just finished this, what do you think?

Very nice! A serengeti silhouette would really bring it home.

lilsquiggle

cfdunbar wrote:Very nice! A serengeti silhouette would really bring it home.

Good idea, Ill have a play with seeing what I can do for that in the morning. Thanks!!

manikx66

quality posts: 2 Private Messages manikx66

so im a little confused does the design have to have something to do with gold or just have gold coloring to it?

lilsquiggle

manikx66 wrote:so im a little confused does the design have to have something to do with gold or just have gold coloring to it?

Personally, I read it as something using golden ink, rather than specifically needing to be on the subject of gold.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
lilsquiggle wrote:Personally, I read it as something using golden ink, rather than specifically needing to be on the subject of gold.

The name of the theme is "Derby#262: Gold" not "Derby#262: Use gold ink in something"
That said, it won't make a difference either way.

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

lisonallie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lisonallie

A question to woot:
I think only being able to use photoshop to show a metallic gold color isn't very fair same with all the other colors...I am using Paint Tool Sai because Photoshop is way too expensive...If I make a gold color for this derby on it and it's not the exact color you mentioned, will you make it a gold color or match it to the closest yellow color you have? It just discourages me from entering derbies at all because I don't have Photoshop or Illustrator so I was wondering if you just match the colors or what : ( I want to have a chance to win too ;w ;
edit:
Also, in regards to halftones, I can't really do that in Sai, is there a way I can blur/ blend the colors together reasonably and you guys make the halftone or what?

noxandpy

Sketchy Sketch! Currently titled Golden Fire....also there will be fire...promise :P

meltedpopsicles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meltedpopsicles

Thinking about either doing a moon goddess on a crescent moon or a robin(batman) coat of arms because i enjoyed doing the shield thing from the more recent derbies.

what do you guys think?

Or no sleep and both

thevikingartist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thevikingartist

I want there to be silver as well then I would have a great idea, I can just do it with greys I suppose.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 93 Private Messages oakenspirit

Got the bulk of my design done but I'm having the hardest time deciding on a background color...

Any suggestions? either on color or content? I'm still new at this...

babyblue

blue

olive

navy

meltedpopsicles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meltedpopsicles

Sketch up. . . Lots of work ahead of me.

thevikingartist

Silence, it's golden ;p
I'll probably submit this and another version of this with an additional graphic below.

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

So this is something I have been working on. For anyone who was not a nerd with a rock collection like I was, pyrite is fools gold. The pirate is exasperated by the labels as well as the fools gold that he hoped would be real. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Thanks

ladybugb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladybugb
jessisima wrote:
So this is something I have been working on. For anyone who was not a nerd with a rock collection like I was, pyrite is fools gold. The pirate is exasperated by the labels as well as the fools gold that he hoped would be real. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Thanks

LMAO, I would totally wear that shirt.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
jessisima wrote:

-Thanks

Love the lettering. Is that a font? I'm not sure if you're done or not, but it needs a background. And maybe a shovel?

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

Here's what I've got

chaoswerecat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chaoswerecat

using gold ink reminds me of celtic patterns. I know how to do them on paper with ink, just no idea how to go about making a woot design on the computer :S
Anyone who wants to tinker with that idea is welcome

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

Nathan, I think your idea is a winner, I just love it. And for me the silver version is the best, cause the contrast is better!

lisonallie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lisonallie
lisonallie wrote:A question to woot:
I think only being able to use photoshop to show a metallic gold color isn't very fair same with all the other colors...I am using Paint Tool Sai because Photoshop is way too expensive...If I make a gold color for this derby on it and it's not the exact color you mentioned, will you make it a gold color or match it to the closest yellow color you have? It just discourages me from entering derbies at all because I don't have Photoshop or Illustrator so I was wondering if you just match the colors or what : ( I want to have a chance to win too ;w ;
edit:
Also, in regards to halftones, I can't really do that in Sai, is there a way I can blur/ blend the colors together reasonably and you guys make the halftone or what?

anyone

thevikingartist

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver ;p
I know this has been around a while and I think I saw another shirt that did it when i thought to search it just now but they went with the full text rather than the minimalist approach I'm taking so I think mine is different enough it might work

thevikingartist

lisonallie wrote:anyone

you could create them manually with small lines or dots, I usually use hatching and crosshatching for shading but if you are trying to do something more intense like blend a yellow and blue into a green using halftones that might be too intense for doing it dot by dot manually.

inu14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages inu14

I need a bit of help as to which version to submit of my picture:

I think the one without the mouth looks better but its hard to tell ;_;.

Averages 10 votes per round ;)

thevikingartist

inu14 wrote:I need a bit of help as to which version to submit of my picture:
[pics removed]
I think the one without the mouth looks better but its hard to tell ;_;.

Maneki Neko! I collect those :3
Yeah the one without the mouth is better though maybe if you did the mouth in a slightly different style it might not be as bad.
I might go for an outline around the cat as well but that might just be me.

kevlar51

quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51
lisonallie wrote:A question to woot:
edit:

For the gold color, I suggest you get as close as you can to the gold woot has identified. One way to do this is to sample the gold color from one of the entries put up here for critique. When you put your entry up for voting, indicate that the gold color will be metallic. And when you send in your print ready file, indicate that it will be metallic on the gold layer.

While submitting designs using true Pantone colors(or gold for this derby) makes life a lot easier for the art directors and voters, it's not actually a requirement. But you might find that using really bright colors that don't exist in the Pantone library will sometimes yield disappointing results.

For halftones, you're unfortunately going to have to make them yourself for the shirt comp file--gradients will get you rejected. Honestly though, some of the very best designs out there don't use them at all.