cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller

The shirt lies.. I never saw any system that would automatically insert newlines for you. I was born in 1971 and spent plenty of time writing BASIC programs. I always had to print a newline character to get the output to look like that.

I guess there could have been some that did it for you. But I worked on Apples (IIe & IIc), on an Atari 800XL and some old Sinclairs (had the ZX80 & 81 (before the Timex days BTW)) and none of those did.

Anyway, I was kinda excited to see this one today. Haven't seen any shirts I liked much on here lately, but this one is kinda cute.

I've always wanted to put something like this on a shirt:

"CHR$32... The final frontier."

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

eholling

quality posts: 10 Private Messages eholling
ronman101 wrote:NO! When you execute the command, it is going to RUN forever and all you see is TIME LOOP on your green 12" monitor (Lucky if you had color) until you press the Control and C Key to stop it to get back to the lovely ">" command prompt. It's like looking at infinity!

He's referring to the typo in the program. The program won't run because the 1Ø in the 2Ø line will not correctly go to the 1O line. They are different characters. I'm not even sure the program will compile because of the error. It probably needs the Ø character to run correctly.

Bouts of Consternation:
8/17/11; 9/14/11; 10/12/11; 11/09/11, 12/06/11; 4/26/12

And right now.

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja
cycokiller wrote:The shirt lies.. I never saw any system that would automatically insert newlines for you. I was born in 1971 and spent plenty of time writing BASIC programs. I always had to print a newline character to get the output to look like that.

I guess there could have been some that did it for you. But I worked on Apples (IIe & IIc), on an Atari 800XL and some old Sinclairs (had the ZX80 & 81 (before the Timex days BTW)) and none of those did.

Are you aware of what systems beginning screen this woot is trying to imitate?
Aside from the typo mentioned, the code does work as shown.

princesspraline

quality posts: 1 Private Messages princesspraline
ClaudiaM wrote:Were you rejected by a geek? I mean, sometimes these things just don't work out.

Best.Response.Ever.

kwaping

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kwaping

I can't belive nobody has mentioned the extra double quote on line 50 yet.

jettavdwrvr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jettavdwrvr

As much as I love this shirt, I can't in good faith buy it because of the 1O typo.

nullvalu

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nullvalu

My first introduction to programming was discovering the NIBBLES.BAS file on my DOS computer and trying to figure out how it worked with QBASIC. I never looked back.

scottheward

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scottheward
vjl wrote:Should I admit I still own my Commodore 64? And it still works! Love the 8-bit world. Learned to program on my VIC-20, which had even less memory than the C64 did. Loaded Zaxxon from data-cassette - took 45 minutes to load that game before it could be played!

LOAD "*", 8, 1

:-)

Haha I still have my commodore too, and it also still works! It was my first computer as well. I remember sitting around all day typing in code with my older brothers from a manual we had to "program" new games.

P.S. Love the LOAD reference

richtodt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richtodt

Very fitting; I was chatting with my friend about how I just spent 3 hours last night re-coding my high school computer science final project into a text file from yes, a dot matrix printout, and this came up, so without flinching I ordered it. I can remember the instructor's face when I was showing the program to her; a look of disbelief and what not. RIP Mrs. McDonald...

smerfj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages smerfj

Batch version! Paste to a text file, rename to .bat, run! (ctl-c to quit)

cls
@echo off & setLocal EnableDelayedExpansion
:10
echo Welcome to my guessing game^^!
:20
echo I bet you can't guess the number I'm thinking of^^!
echo It's between 0 and 9^^!
SET /A x=%RANDOM% %%9
:30
CHOICE /c:0123456789 /n /m "Choose a number from 0-9:"
set /A guess=%ERRORLEVEL%-1
if %guess% GTR %x% GOTO 40
if %guess% LSS %x% GOTO 50
if %guess% EQU %x% GOTO 60
:40
echo Nope^^! That's too high^^!
GOTO 30
:50
echo Nope^^! That's too low^^!
GOTO 30
:60
echo Uhhhhh. That's not right. Uhhhh, hold on a second...
GOTO 20

Edit: changed
SET /A x=%RANDOM% %%10+1
to
SET /A x=%RANDOM% %%9

psm321

quality posts: 20 Private Messages psm321
RayLayton wrote:I'm still trying to figure out whats wrong with playing it as is? The only thing I'd change is all the GOTO commands after each possible result would go back to 20 instead of 30. Adds more challenge to never satisfying your computer. If it drives one person mad, I've done my job.

Just try it... there are several syntax errors (extra quotes, @ instead of %) even for a later more lenient BASIC like QBasic, but my goal was to try to get something you could play in an online emulator easily.

psm321

chasbas wrote:[quote postid="5397424" user="psm321"]

You don't need the third IF statement. In the interests of speeding up the program that should just be a straight GOTO.

In what BASIC can you randomize the RND function by calling it? My understanding is that RANDOMIZE N does the randomizing, and the parameter to RND is optional or ignored.

Applesoft (which is what I found an online emulator for). At least according to the documentation I also found, and what the emulator let me do.

nullvalu

smerfj wrote:Batch version! Paste to a text file, rename to .bat, run! (ctl-c to quit)

cls
@echo off & setLocal EnableDelayedExpansion
:10
echo Welcome to my guessing game^^!
:20
echo I bet you can't guess the number I'm thinking of^^!
echo It's between 0 and 9^^!
SET /A x=%RANDOM% %%10+1
:30
CHOICE /c:0123456789 /n /m "Choose a number from 0-9:"
set /A guess=%ERRORLEVEL%-1
if %guess% GTR %x% GOTO 40
if %guess% LSS %x% GOTO 50
if %guess% EQU %x% GOTO 60
:40
echo Nope^^! That's too high^^!
GOTO 30
:50
echo Nope^^! That's too low^^!
GOTO 30
:60
echo Uhhhhh. That's not right. Uhhhh, hold on a second...
GOTO 20

Bug spotted! Your random number generator has the potential to do 10 which can't be typed as a guess.. take out the +1

psm321

prncofdrknes wrote:Too young to have ever written anything in basic, but i have learned a lot from my dad who was one of few who knew Cobalt in the north east, at the time when cobalt started being used in business.

now i just write OOP stuff.

COBOL?

Fizz71

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fizz71

My first computer program ever:
10 HOME
20 PRINT "\o/"
30 PRINT " | "
40 PRINT "/ \"
50 HOME
60 PRINT " o "
70 PRINT "/|\"
80 PRINT "| |"
90 GOTO 10
...although I think it was CLS or CLR instead of HOME on the commodore, I wrote it to work in the link PSM321 had on page 1. That program was right out the manual so I'm guessing I'm not the only one in here who wrote that bad boy 31 years ago!

smerfj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages smerfj
nullvalu wrote:Bug spotted! Your random number generator has the potential to do 10 which can't be typed as a guess.. take out the +1

The +1 makes it start at 1 instead of 0
Edit: should be:
SET /A x=%RANDOM% %%9

psm321

cycokiller wrote:The shirt lies.. I never saw any system that would automatically insert newlines for you. I was born in 1971 and spent plenty of time writing BASIC programs. I always had to print a newline character to get the output to look like that.

Anyway, I was kinda excited to see this one today. Haven't seen any shirts I liked much on here lately, but this one is kinda cute.

I've always wanted to put something like this on a shirt:

"CHR$32... The final frontier."

You're misremembering. Pretty much every BASIC (including the Apple that you mention) did/does automatically print newlines and you have to go to special measures to suppress them, usually a semicolon at the end of the line.

profnohair

quality posts: 0 Private Messages profnohair

I'm having flash backs of my COmmodore 64 computing days. Good times, I must say.

nullvalu

smerfj wrote:The +1 makes it start at 1 instead of 0

and also have a top number of 10.. but the code is supposed to generate a number 0-9, not 1-10.

ancyker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ancyker
eholling wrote:He's referring to the typo in the program. The program won't run because the 1Ø in the 2Ø line will not correctly go to the 1O line. They are different characters. I'm not even sure the program will compile because of the error. It probably needs the Ø character to run correctly.

Sadly, this is why I'm not getting it. I noticed the mistake right away.

nullvalu

odysseyroc wrote:This is the geekiest design I've done, and likely the geekiest design I'll ever do. I remember spending hours on my C64, copying wares, playing games, and messing around on the local BBS. This design pretty much sums up everything I've ever known about "coding".

I hope you enjoy this shirt as much as I enjoyed designing it.

Great design! But any way you could get a fix on the 1O typo to woot before these print?

KLUNGSA

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KLUNGSA

Why is it that I can remember SYS49152, but have trouble remembering what I did yesterday?

rawfish

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rawfish

This shirt would be better in black with green fonts...

rfonewatt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rfonewatt

I ran several, actually. All based out of Detroit, MI.

When I was really young (11-12 y/o) it was geared at destroying every other local BBS in the area and eventually I moved over to the "scene" where I spent several wonderful years.

As time went on it grew into an 80 (analog) line international monster.

Industry BBS

The FBI gave me back *ALL* of my files & hardware Etc. about 15 years ago so I still have everything. Multiple 64's, 128's, SFD 1001's, 1581's, 41's, three Amiga's and a bunch more equipment.

BUT... My favorite pieces, and the ones that made us stand out, are my Lt. Kernal 20 meg hard drives.

When I got everything back from the FBI I booted the BBS back up and it was sitting exactly where it left off!

-RF

wizardnj wrote:Cool Which BBS? Have any of the files left?

rfonewatt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rfonewatt

SYS64738 !!

KLUNGSA wrote:Why is it that I can remember SYS49152, but have trouble remembering what I did yesterday?

bakerb316

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bakerb316

Looks like ATARI BASIC blue to me. I'm now going to have to dig through the crap in my attic to break out my old 130XE.

DAMN YOU SHIRT.W00T.COM!

Since 2008 w00t has taken me for $1127.75.

delavager

quality posts: 0 Private Messages delavager

This has the same issue as many of the woot shirts and is the primary reason I don't buy as many as I would otherwise. The shirt only makes sense with the woot caption of "BASIC Time Travel". Wearing this shirt on the street, nobody would get it. In order for a shirt to deliver the message, it has to do so without a woot title overhead.

ancyker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ancyker
delavager wrote:This has the same issue as many of the woot shirts and is the primary reason I don't buy as many as I would otherwise. The shirt only makes sense with the woot caption of "BASIC Time Travel". Wearing this shirt on the street, nobody would get it. In order for a shirt to deliver the message, it has to do so without a woot title overhead.

While I agree with you about most of this shirts, your logic is flawed with this one. In this case it actually has the woot title on the shirt.

**** BASIC TIME TRAVEL V2 ****

My other point for not getting it still stands though.

Harui

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Harui
vjl wrote:Should I admit I still own my Commodore 64? And it still works!

I still have mine, too! :3

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein

smolket

quality posts: 8 Private Messages smolket

Anyone remember making a little alien ship fly across the screen?

redadept

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redadept
ThunderThighs wrote:TRS-80 Customer Support here.
Hello World.

Customer Support? I followed your advice and dropped the floppy drive for my TSR-80 Model 1 out a second story window. That realigned the read head and it works great now!

Thank-you! (true story)

halnwheels

quality posts: 9 Private Messages halnwheels

Thue! The fall through was only for error trapping of unanticipated conditions.

dayohmyboy wrote:When I took computer programming back in high school 1982, we automatically lost 10 points for a straight GOTO! Foul! Hardy Har Har on you!

Still have my Apple IIe with the extended memory 80 column card! That was cutting edge in 1983!

What would $1700 in 1983 dollars be worth today?

halnwheels

I still have an 80 column C64 display converter, and a Westridge 300 baud modem. At 300 Baud, you could read text as fast as it came in. I also have the original Compuserve Starter Pack with 5 hours and the looseleaf binder and orignal CIS menu structure.

Ahhhh..... simpler days indeed.

rfonewatt wrote:Thank you very much -- I never actually thought I would ever purchase a shirt from Woot but it appears I really have no choice now.

I ran one of the largest C-64 BBS' in the world back in the day so this brings back many great memories.

Now to go post a few strategic links on some of the Commodore enthusiast boards I frequent so that nobody misses out on this masterpiece.

For the few that were in to BBS' in the 80's and 90's check this out:

Google BBS Terminal

Thanks again!!

Did someone say WAREZ? ;)

-TDA /FBR /ATC

halnwheels

This is no doubt from a Commodore 64. It was in the firmware of the machine.

SuperNinja wrote:Are you aware of what systems beginning screen this woot is trying to imitate?
Aside from the typo mentioned, the code does work as shown.

slz254

quality posts: 5 Private Messages slz254
ThunderThighs wrote:TRS-80 Customer Support here.
Hello World.

That was the first computer I every used in junior high. And yes, we did learn to program in BASIC.

halnwheels

The Sinclair ZX80 (4 bit) and the later ZX81 and Timex branded units had a great implementation of basic becuase the keyboard had the tokens. The basic language was right on the keyboard, including the often implied LET statement. Yes, your line said LET X = 5, not just X = 5. Basic always begins with a token.

smolket

quality posts: 8 Private Messages smolket

This wasn't C64, this had to be Atari Basic....

justkissmybass

quality posts: 3 Private Messages justkissmybass
jettavdwrvr wrote:As much as I love this shirt, I can't in good faith buy it because of the 1O typo.

Easily remedied with a white paint pen, and the idea and execution otherwise are totally worth it.

halnwheels

Why? The C64 screen was Blue. The amounts of RAM are correct for the C64.

smolket wrote:This wasn't C64, this had to be Atari Basic....

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

redadept wrote:Customer Support? I followed your advice and dropped the floppy drive for my TSR-80 Model 1 out a second story window. That realigned the read head and it works great now!

Thank-you! (true story)

Whoa. That was in the days that when you asked someone to send you a copy of their disk, you sometimes got a paper xerox copy. Sigh.

(Actually, I started in the cassette tape days.)

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders