profbrendan


quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
artulo wrote:It's not quite breakfast, it's not quite lunch, but it comes with a slice of cantaloupe at the end. You don't get completely what you would at breakfast, but you get a good meal!


Heh heh. Great design, and nice early Simpsons reference, too.

tico0001


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tico0001
paigeg wrote:The Tardis and Delorean are things, not pieces of art. This is a direct copy of someone else's art. I'm not going to argue that there's any copyright issue, because it seems to be an image available for 'seal' making on at least one Website. But it isn't original art. Sorry. The design really is kick-ass.



I don't usually like discussing definitions but... Since both the Delorean and Tardis were designed by someone you could argue they are art as well. Especially the Tardis, since it's not even a real "thing", it's a visual piece of art. When someone includes a Delorean or a Tardis in their designs, they are doing the same thing that you are complaining Uniique is doing here...
That being said, I wish Uniique had used an original design for the center piece tatoo here.

~Tico

zyzzvazi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zyzzvazi
Re: Lazer Tagged



I just don't understand what the red gummi worm is doing at the top.

chunkydesign


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chunkydesign
paigeg wrote:I think that may be the problem. I thought it was Artulo being lazy and re-hashing the Devo Derby design. I haven't bothered to go look; I figure it's enough that it comes to mind that way.



Since I didn´t followed the Devo derby, I had to go and look which design you were refering to. Besides the use of a top view I don´t really find any other similarities. The use of that view is just because is the usual way that every insect collector places the items on their collection and also similar to what you usually see in scientific drawings, and that was the type of look I was going with this design. As for the comparison with Artulo, although I feel obviously flattered, I think that once again there ain´t much to compare, since his style on this type of designs is much more detailed and "baroque" than this.

ekio


quality posts: 3 Private Messages ekio
Re: rock a billy robot v2



I love this. Kept meaning to pop in and say so, but haven't had a moment to until now.


ianleino


quality posts: 3 Private Messages ianleino

Wonderful work!

Find me on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, or Google+
My Shop [/url]

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
profbrendan wrote:Heh heh. Great design, and nice early Simpsons reference, too.



I had wondered how many would get the reference

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone.

Cheers,

-art

SeedUvPain


quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain
tjost wrote:Nice work on this one, kinda reminds me of my Crazy pills (placebo party) shirt



Thanks tjost! I don't think I ever saw the crazy pills design, but I will check it out now. Always good to see who my influences are, whether I'm aware of them or not ;)

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
zyzzvazi wrote:I just don't understand what the red gummi worm is doing at the top.



It's waiting for you to question its deliciously sweet and gummi existence.

Or it could just be some arbitrary yet obligatory flashing red lights on the robot.

downsideup


quality posts: 0 Private Messages downsideup
uniique wrote:See that's the quandry. So what of the tee "It Came Out Of Nowhere," by Aled Lewis? Herein Aled is using two images (Tardis and Delorean) from three seperate franchises (Dr Who, Back to the Future, and the car manufacterer), but somehow it's found a very good home here on woot. The design is a parody.

So should Aled "It came from nowhere" be dropped for illustrating the Tardis and the DeLorean? Should the "The Binge" by tjost be dropped for depicting the cookie monster from Seasame Street?

Just sayin'.



Both of the shirts you single out are directly parodying the material they are using. The idea that cookie monster is not just cookie-voracious, but cookie-dependent and the proposition that time travelers could collide mid-journey.

I don't see how using the image of Bob is in any way parodying the church of subgenious, which is, in itself, a parody of organized religion, or J.R. "Bob" Dobbs.

The second issue is in copying the image (albeit the longest way possible). Both the cookie monster shirt and the time traveler shirts were drawn from reference material, clearly, but the images created are original interpretations, whereas the face here is simply a replication of another image.

That being said I think your overall robo-design looks great! certainly not the kind of droid I'd want to meet in a dark, deep-space alley.

grotepas


quality posts: 0 Private Messages grotepas
mindputtee wrote:I agree with this. I'm not particularly drawn to this design, and agree with some of the things people have said about it, but so many people in this thread simply are not using common human decency. Offer constructive criticism if you see something you don't like, don't yell at an artist for something he has attempted to do.

I've been watching the ramyb entries for a few months now because I was curious as to why there was so much hate directed against him, and I have to say, most of it I see is unfounded. Some times there are legitimate things to be upset about, but when an artist tries to do a good job, leave him alone. Every artist has better days than others, and sometimes there's a lot on your plate and churning out a perfect Derby entry (a contest that should be FUN) is not your priority.

That said, I agree that some kind of joints maybe on the top of the dog's legs so that they could at least pivot from the hip would make it more plausible, as well as a jaw joint, but still, it's a t-shirt design. People aren't going to be staring that closely at your chest to see if the dog could actually go fetch the wrench.



Stick around for a few years and you'll see why people get annoyed about Ramyb's designs. From time to time he puts out a good one, but as many people point out, he tends to not pay attention to important details, which is sort of inexcusable in an artist. Such as the steam in the dragon design moving in the wrong direction. That's pretty elementary stuff.

Often if you've seen one of Ramy's designs, you've seen them all. It's frustrating to many of the longtime patrons of Shirtwoot to feel like the really clever and well done designs lose simply because Ramy seems to have a fan club of sorts that he calls on at the last minute to vote his designs to the top. Just watch. Right now this design is NOT in the fog, but it will most likely win because Ramy will see it's not winning and call on his disciples to come and vote.

It begins to feel rigged after a while. You may have lots of Ramy love right now, but pay close attention to the criticism and you'll begin to see the light. I'm not saying people should bash each other, however, it's not completely unfounded. I too went through my stick up for Ramy phase, but then I began to long for shirts that weren't all the same, and it's incredibly disheartening to see extremely well done designs lose to a turtle with a pile of Christmas lights on its shell.

True, he seems to have a good grasp of the simple design, but that's about it. Once in a while he surprises everyone with something really awesome, but for the most part, Ramy only ever seems to make halfhearted attempts. AND, many of his critics are willing to tell him one of his designs is good WHEN it's good (in their opinion).

Not to be a jerk, but do you think it's somehow a coincidence that every time one of Ramy's longstanding shirts is in danger of being reckoned away that boom, suddenly its back in the top twenty? He will ALWAYS have one or two designs in the top twenty. He makes sure of it.

kcloveschocobos


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcloveschocobos
RandomLynx wrote:*LOL*
No, it was actually a computer/game system from... the eighties (though the computer functions were rather stone age)? I had one quite awhile before the NES came out - think similar to the old Atari system. Quite a few games I'm nostalgic for came out on that system or were ported to it.

http://oldcomputers.net/pics/ti-994a.jpg



OH! now that makes sense. When I was looking at the YouTube video, I was like, oh it has color and everything...wait a minute...LOL. I didn't know that Texas Instruments made systems before the calculators. Awesome! I miss my old Commodore 64 and the Vic 20.

endangeredomega


quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
Re: Robo Tat




I believe the Tardis/Delorean shirt was a daily, which isn't subject to the same derby rules. As for the cookie monster entry ... different derby, different set of guidelines.

Really, what I can't believe no one else has pointed out, is that the competition demands you follow the rules for the derby you are submitting to. THIS WEEK, the rules cited that entries must create a new, unique robot. No pop-culture references, parody or not. What has been done in weeks past is irrelevant; THIS derby's rules are the rules. Artists have the choice to play by them, or to sit it out.

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
kcloveschocobos wrote:OH! now that makes sense. When I was looking at the YouTube video, I was like, oh it has color and everything...wait a minute...LOL. I didn't know that Texas Instruments made systems before the calculators. Awesome! I miss my old Commodore 64 and the Vic 20.



The C= 64 was awesome and way ahead of its time. I had some of the most amazing games for it. It was doing voice synthesis while the first PC's were still just doing system beeps.
I miss it too. Although you can download many of the games and run on an emulator.

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
endangeredomega wrote:THIS derby's rules are the rules. Artists have the choice to play by them, or to sit it out.



Well, there is another choice that all too often gets exercised...ignore the rules and don't sit it out.

Smullet90


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Smullet90
grotepas wrote:Stick around for a few years and you'll see why people get annoyed about Ramyb's designs. From time to time he puts out a good one, but as many people point out, he tends to not pay attention to important details, which is sort of inexcusable in an artist. Such as the steam in the dragon design moving in the wrong direction. That's pretty elementary stuff.

Often if you've seen one of Ramy's designs, you've seen them all. It's frustrating to many of the longtime patrons of Shirtwoot to feel like the really clever and well done designs lose simply because Ramy seems to have a fan club of sorts that he calls on at the last minute to vote his designs to the top. Just watch. Right now this design is NOT in the fog, but it will most likely win because Ramy will see it's not winning and call on his disciples to come and vote.

It begins to feel rigged after a while. You may have lots of Ramy love right now, but pay close attention to the criticism and you'll begin to see the light. I'm not saying people should bash each other, however, it's not completely unfounded. I too went through my stick up for Ramy phase, but then I began to long for shirts that weren't all the same, and it's incredibly disheartening to see extremely well done designs lose to a turtle with a pile of Christmas lights on its shell.

True, he seems to have a good grasp of the simple design, but that's about it. Once in a while he surprises everyone with something really awesome, but for the most part, Ramy only ever seems to make halfhearted attempts. AND, many of his critics are willing to tell him one of his designs is good WHEN it's good (in their opinion).

Not to be a jerk, but do you think it's somehow a coincidence that every time one of Ramy's longstanding shirts is in danger of being reckoned away that boom, suddenly its back in the top twenty? He will ALWAYS have one or two designs in the top twenty. He makes sure of it.



The average person will look at this shirt and think it's humorous because robot dogs fetch wrenches, or some such thing. Then you have the artists, whom he drives nuts, who look at this and think "there are no joints!!!"

I can understand why people like and don't like this shirt, and I do agree many of his other shirts are pretty overcooked. Them winning is more of a reflection on the woot community than anything else. You can tell it isn't a very mature group of people doing the voting. The robot dragon just plain sucks... but people like dragons... and people like turtles in a snow bank with christmas lights on them (for some random reason). This is life.

That being said, I do think this shirt is pretty creative, and I usually only vote for one shirt per reckoning. This seemed the best to me, maybe I missed some though.

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
grotepas wrote:It begins to feel rigged after a while. You may have lots of Ramy love right now, but pay close attention to the criticism and you'll begin to see the light. I'm not saying people should bash each other, however, it's not completely unfounded. I too went through my stick up for Ramy phase, but then I began to long for shirts that weren't all the same, and it's incredibly disheartening to see extremely well done designs lose to a turtle with a pile of Christmas lights on its shell.


I've been around just as long as you have, perhaps a bit longer and they do not feel rigged to me, and I don't own a single Ramby shirt at all. Many shirts I have liked that were well done to loose to plenty of other designs that I did not think were good at all, and not just to Ramyb, both. Is it frustrating, you bet. But that's life, you don't always get what you want... many many times.

The most vocal people are always going to be the ones who do not like something, and that's why it appears so many people hate certain designers on here. The people who do like them, just ignore the hate and buy what they like and go on with their day. They don't care about somebodies hate for somebody. Criticisms should be welcomed all the time, but it often turns into personal attacks, and by the same people over and over again. There comes a point that if you don't like something, you should walk away. If you (not you literally) stick around to spread hate for a long time you are basically just a troll. If you are to the point where it's just hate being spewed out over and over again the "critiques" you think you give to "change" things are nothing more than garbage to people. Your opinion will lose weight because people get sick and tired of listening to it, and they just walk away from the threads... and just keep buying what they like. I've seen Ramyb hate from day one since I was on here and by the same people who dish it out today. Look how much good it has done... Ramyb still keeps on winning. Maybe this site is not where they should be, because it's obviously not changing anything. If one of my friends complained half as much as some do here I would just stop listening to them. Who needs the negativity in their life? But... haters are going to hate. That's life too.

Critique away, just leave the attacks and trolling out of it, nobody cares and it does no good.

uniique


quality posts: 2 Private Messages uniique
sTyLeS wrote:Well, there is another choice that all too often gets exercised...ignore the rules and don't sit it out.



I interpreted the rules to read 'no pop culture robots', ie: Robby the Robot, the famous tin toy robots, R2D2, etc. This is a unique robot (therein honoring the rule) with a pop culture tat.

However, I agree with Tico. I should have used a different central tat.

In any case, it was alot of fun to do. I really enjoy the Derby!

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
Smullet90 wrote:
That being said, I do think this shirt is pretty creative, and I usually only vote for one shirt per reckoning. This seemed the best to me, maybe I missed some though.



Did you look through all 166 shirts currently available for voting? I did. There are several that are quite worthy of voting for.

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
mikenytola wrote:I've been around just as long as you have, perhaps a bit longer and they do not feel rigged to me, and I don't own a single Ramby shirt at all. Many shirts I have liked that were well done to loose to plenty of other designs that I did not think were good at all, and not just to Ramyb, both. Is it frustrating, you bet. But that's life, you don't always get what you want... many many times.

The most vocal people are always going to be the ones who do not like something, and that's why it appears so many people hate certain designers on here. The people who do like them, just ignore the hate and buy what they like and go on with their day. They don't care about somebodies hate for somebody. Criticisms should be welcomed all the time, but it often turns into personal attacks, and by the same people over and over again. There comes a point that if you don't like something, you should walk away. If you (not you literally) stick around to spread hate for a long time you are basically just a troll. If you are to the point where it's just hate being spewed out over and over again the "critiques" you think you give to "change" things are nothing more than garbage to people. Your opinion will lose weight because people get sick and tired of listening to it, and they just walk away from the threads... and just keep buying what they like. I've seen Ramyb hate from day one since I was on here and by the same people who dish it out today. Look how much good it has done... Ramyb still keeps on winning. Maybe this site is not where they should be, because it's obviously not changing anything. If one of my friends complained half as much as some do here I would just stop listening to them. Who needs the negativity in their life? But... haters are going to hate. That's life too.

Critique away, just leave the attacks and trolling out of it, nobody cares and it does no good.



Well, the reality of it, too, is that the majority of people actually buying the shirts aren't the ones voting. It's true. Most people will log in Friday morning and see a shirt up for sale and decide to buy it or not...that's it. The ones voting are the artists themselves, their friends/family/fanclubs, and those who have a more dedicated interest in following this type of art. Sure, they buy shirts too, but most of the wooters don't follow these forums at all.

patioplr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages patioplr

Are those gradients you used or halftones? It's my understanding that shirt.woot doesn't allow gradients.

bluejester


quality posts: 563 Private Messages bluejester
sTyLeS wrote:Well, the reality of it, too, is that the majority of people actually buying the shirts aren't the ones voting. It's true. Most people will log in Friday morning and see a shirt up for sale and decide to buy it or not...that's it. The ones voting are the artists themselves, their friends/family/fanclubs, and those who have a more dedicated interest in following this type of art. Sure, they buy shirts too, but most of the wooters don't follow these forums at all.



I'm not an artist, just a buyer, but have become more and more interested in the discussions that go on in these forums. Part of the reason for that is that I wanted to see what the artists themselves were saying about what worked and didn't work for them in a design. I'm interested in submitting a design or two sometime in the future, and the only way that I'll get a good grasp on what people would like is if I start browsing the forums.

That said, true, Ramy's threads tend to have, shall we say, snake-like negative commentary. There are also comments that would fall under constructive criticism category. For example, I didn't notice that the smoke was squiffy on the dragon submission until someone pointed it out. Maybe Ramy hadn't really thought of it at first or even noticed it. I know that this may sound like I am giving too much benifit of the doubt, but I am more of a creative writer and there are times when I have submitted stuff to contests that I swear I've proof read at least dozen times--but sometimes I get comments back that point out an amature mistake I've made.

It stings like heck to see it happen, but it shows me that I really do need to get that important "One more re-write," as my dad says, done.

All this to say that I think if criticism is made in a valid, constructive way and not filled with knee jerk hate--People will look for more in their shirts in terms of clever ideas and good execution. So if Ramy keeps submitting art that leans on the Kwaii side of things and is just a little too simple (Not saying that simple is bad, just that it can get old after a while) then it won't get fogged and won't print because even those who like his stuff will want him to up his game.

To finish up (sorry for the length of this post) I've liked some of Ramy's stuff in the past and actually got the "Orbital Model of a Carbon Atom" shirt for my wife because it was simple and cute. However the "simple and cute" motif simple won't cut it in this derby because when it comes to robots, I think (IMHO) people want something on the side of the Draxx and Crescent collab effort or Robbie Lee's "Bioluminescence" or the "Zombie Robots!" shirt (sorry I'm blanking on who did that one =[ ).

"Go Fetch" not only doesn't work for me as a shopper because I'm not looking for cute and simple in a derby like this. I want articulate creatures that I believe can move.

bluejester


quality posts: 563 Private Messages bluejester
Re: Go Fetch



Quick apology for the lengthiness of my previous post. I didn't realize I had typed so much.

IndependentVik


quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
uniique wrote:However, I agree with Tico. I should have used a different central tat.


Agreed. But in either case, dude, amazing work! Will definitely be looking out for your entries from now on.

mindputtee


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mindputtee
SunnyLea0 wrote:I'm a bit bothered by the fact that it looks like the 'bot is sitting on an invisible chair -- not quite on the same plane with the flowers.

But I Love the colors and the drawing style is really lovely.



Thanks! I was originally going to draw him sitting on a rock, but it didn't seem to look right. I should have drawn him sitting on a box though.

zakovyrya


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zakovyrya
Re: Robot Zombies!



Just love it. Thank you, sir. You've made my day!

thefold


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thefold
Re: Robotron Wreaks Havoc



Congratulations on winning a Favorite Design Award on The Fold!
This is not SPAM.
We want your shirt to print really bad
We are giving you free publicity to your design and that is all we can offer... for now

wisnij


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wisnij
Cantatus wrote:Is this a reference to the Birdman of Alcatraz?


Or J. F. Sebastian. "They're my friends. I made them!"

uniique


quality posts: 2 Private Messages uniique
patioplr wrote:Are those gradients you used or halftones? It's my understanding that shirt.woot doesn't allow gradients.



Ah, you're right. I just assumed their rip program would render gradients to halftones. I've got an epson 1400 and Accurip - common fare for printers. So not sure why there would be a gradient ban? I need to check that.

...and checked. "Gradients and halftones are strongly discouraged (for now)"
However, I see ALOT of halftones going on around here. I'm confused why either are discouraged?


uniique


quality posts: 2 Private Messages uniique
IndependentVik wrote:Agreed. But in either case, dude, amazing work! Will definitely be looking out for your entries from now on.



Thanks IndependentVik! I'll look scope your work too. ;D
I'd like to see your designs now, but don't see a way to link back to them from this forum.

ghuertas88


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ghuertas88
Re: Go Fetch


i like this alot lol how do u make that dot pattern in the background??

ghuertas88


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ghuertas88
paigeg wrote:These guys are giving you great advice. I'll toss in a bit of artistic critique. Since the robot is now feeling complete and happy, I think he should be smiling. He still looks pretty sad to me.


hahaha yeah lol had a concept for the robot wanting a heart so he was sad but then i felt sad for the robot and changed the title lol for got to make him happy :D

zombiemaster


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zombiemaster

I must own this shirt!

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
Re: Lazer Tagged



Thanks so much everyone for voting. 22nd place is the highest I've ranked so far. Woo hoo.
Rinse and repeat!

terryjr91


quality posts: 0 Private Messages terryjr91
Re: the maker



If this wins, I am totally buying it. I hope you get more support from the Node.

mindputtee


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mindputtee
grotepas wrote:
It begins to feel rigged after a while. You may have lots of Ramy love right now, but pay close attention to the criticism and you'll begin to see the light. I'm not saying people should bash each other, however, it's not completely unfounded. I too went through my stick up for Ramy phase, but then I began to long for shirts that weren't all the same, and it's incredibly disheartening to see extremely well done designs lose to a turtle with a pile of Christmas lights on its shell.



I just want to be clear, I don't have particular affinity for any artist, I've seen some of Ramyb's that I have liked, and ones that I haven't. My complaint is the attitude with which people are interacting on the forums. People can hide behind their usernames and be jerks to someone because they never actually have to see them. It reminds me of this comic: The alt-text says "It's easier to be an @sshole to words than to people."

*Edit*
The image doesn't seem to want to show up, but you can see it here: http://xkcd.com/438/

fuhguh


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fuhguh
Re: BLAH BLAH BLAH



is there a way to get this shirt? haha

Chikitory


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chikitory
Re: BLAH BLAH BLAH



Do you have a deviantart? i love this style of art.

krypticshado


quality posts: 0 Private Messages krypticshado
Re: rock a billy robot v2



isnt that the robot from flkl?

albinoapple


quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
mindputtee wrote:I just want to be clear, I don't have particular affinity for any artist, I've seen some of Ramyb's that I have liked, and ones that I haven't. My complaint is the attitude with which people are interacting on the forums. People can hide behind their usernames and be jerks to someone because they never actually have to see them. It reminds me of this comic: The alt-text says "It's easier to be an @sshole to words than to people."

*Edit*
The image doesn't seem to want to show up, but you can see it here: http://xkcd.com/438/



Unfortunately he's done way jerkier things in "real life."