inu14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages inu14
thevikingartist wrote:Maneki Neko! I collect those :3
Yeah the one without the mouth is better though maybe if you did the mouth in a slightly different style it might not be as bad.
I might go for an outline around the cat as well but that might just be me.

Thanks for the advice, I have tried both

Its still very hard to choose

oakenspirit

quality posts: 70 Private Messages oakenspirit

I MUCH prefer the white shirt. I love how the cat slinks into the background... Also seems to say something about luck's wispy personality... ;)

inu14 wrote:Thanks for the advice, I have tried both

lilsquiggle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle
inu14 wrote:Thanks for the advice, I have tried both

PICS WERE HERE

I quite like it on both colours. I like it with the outline because, well, you can see its exact shape. However I also like it without for the exact opposite reason XD They both work well in my opinion.

As for the mouth, maybe try removing the line representing the chin, I think thats what is adding to the cartoony feel of the mouth, because on the statues, the chin has no paint, its merely shaped. The rest of your image only shows the colours on the figures, so I think thats why it looks odd that suddenly there, you've added a line representing the shape.

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
lisonallie wrote:A question to woot:
I think only being able to use photoshop to show a metallic gold color isn't very fair same with all the other colors...I am using Paint Tool Sai because Photoshop is way too expensive...If I make a gold color for this derby on it and it's not the exact color you mentioned, will you make it a gold color or match it to the closest yellow color you have? It just discourages me from entering derbies at all because I don't have Photoshop or Illustrator so I was wondering if you just match the colors or what : ( I want to have a chance to win too ;w ;
edit:
Also, in regards to halftones, I can't really do that in Sai, is there a way I can blur/ blend the colors together reasonably and you guys make the halftone or what?

That color they listed is in hex code, not a pantone number. You should be able to pick a color by hexcode in your software. If not, just use a web based hex color site for the right shade.

lilsquiggle

Double post. Wooo (Im a bad person >.> ) EDIT: Hehe, thank you orabbit for posting while I typed so this is in fact not a double post ^_^

But anyway, I just finished putting a background in with the lion and well... it just doesn't work in my opinion. I prefer it without... what do you think?

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
odysseyroc wrote:Here's what I've got

Neat type treatment on your design odysseyroc. I have a snitch idea in the works as well, though it's a bit of a mash-up so they are different treatments.
I'm not sure if you've picked up that the shirt comp (602x602) and design detail (186x186) dimensions have changed with the site upgrade. Someone should be able to correct me if the dimensions in brackets are out. I haven't submitted much lately.

phoenixgirrl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phoenixgirrl
lilsquiggle wrote:

I love this. I think it would be gorgeous just by filling out the sketch. And while flames would be great, I think you'd be good doing gold flames. Unless you had color in other places it'd look out of place.

phoenixgirrl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phoenixgirrl
odysseyroc wrote:Here's what I've got

LOVE this! I just spent last night painting a brick wall (for platform 9 3/4) and making other party decorations and foods (snitch cake & snitch cake pops) for a Harry Potter party tomorrow. So it'd be a definite buy in our house!

orabbit

lilsquiggle wrote:Double post. Wooo (Im a bad person >.> ) EDIT: Hehe, thank you orabbit for posting while I typed so this is in fact not a double post ^_^

But anyway, I just finished putting a background in with the lion and well... it just doesn't work in my opinion. I prefer it without... what do you think?

Slide the tree to the right more, or lower and add a sun. The tree helps a lot, but it looks off balance as is.

orabbit

Can staff tell me if we're allowed to overprint on top of the gold ink? I want to print a halftone on top of the gold ink, as if it were an underbase.

inu14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages inu14
lilsquiggle wrote:
As for the mouth, maybe try removing the line representing the chin, I think thats what is adding to the cartoony feel of the mouth, because on the statues, the chin has no paint, its merely shaped. The rest of your image only shows the colours on the figures, so I think thats why it looks odd that suddenly there, you've added a line representing the shape.

Thanks for your feedback! I will have a go at taking the chin out and then submit it when the time comes ^^

alan3303

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alan3303
nathanwpyle wrote:Hey I think you were right, Rasabi - this helps convey the concept better

I like it without the person - but both look great

meltedpopsicles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meltedpopsicles

I still have to add the halftones... minus the gold.
probably won't get that done till after 5pm when i get out of work.

What color do you guys like?

Red

blue dark

black

light blue.

orabbit

meltedpopsicles wrote:What color do you guys like?

"blue dark" for sure.

orabbit

PixelPants wrote:
I'm not sure if you've picked up that the shirt comp (602x602) and design detail (186x186) dimensions have changed with the site upgrade. Someone should be able to correct me if the dimensions in brackets are out. I haven't submitted much lately.

Is this true? I must have missed that. Can anyone confirm? I can't find it on the site right now.

orabbit

Oh, and one more thing -
Here's something I was working on a while ago. I always wished I could get it printed with metallic gold ink. Well here's my chance.

I have no idea for a title. Can anyone help me out? They're supposed to be partners in battle. Kind of like 80's buddy cop pic meets Frazetta.

lilsquiggle

orabbit wrote:Slide the tree to the right more, or lower and add a sun. The tree helps a lot, but it looks off balance as is.

Thanks orabbit, I was having real trouble trying to work out what to do there. That advice has made this look much stronger <3

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle
lilsquiggle wrote:Thanks orabbit, I was having real trouble trying to work out what to do there. That advice has made this look much stronger <3

This is beautiful!

caramelarrow

quality posts: 13 Private Messages caramelarrow
lilsquiggle wrote:Thanks orabbit, I was having real trouble trying to work out what to do there. That advice has made this look much stronger <3

I prefer the lion by himself, without the trees, but both are very nice. He'll be stunning in metallic ink.

07/11/14

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
phoenixgirrl wrote:LOVE this! I just spent last night painting a brick wall (for platform 9 3/4) and making other party decorations and foods (snitch cake & snitch cake pops) for a Harry Potter party tomorrow. So it'd be a definite buy in our house!

pics of the cake pops!

ldokiernan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ldokiernan

Color choice help:

The solid gold blotches would be the metallic gold, and the second image would include a close-matching non-metallic gold color where the blue is in the first, but I'm not sure how it would turn out. any suggestions? Im open to different colors than the blue as well.

orabbit

ldokiernan wrote:
The solid gold blotches would be the metallic gold, and the second image would include a close-matching non-metallic gold color where the blue is in the first, but I'm not sure how it would turn out. any suggestions? Im open to different colors than the blue as well.

Number 2 for sure. That will print sweet. Represent it with a color one shade lighter for the comp. Maybe try a rusty orange or a brassy green instead of the blue?

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
ldokiernan wrote:Color choice help:

The second is better... I wanted to do Midas as well but couldn't come up with anything clever...

bmd6486

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmd6486

Someone should make a sure based on liquid gold (term used for oil).

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
benjaminleebates wrote:So, here's an idea. Save pop culture junk for the dailies only...
Limit pop culture in the derby so that the more creative designs actually get a chance.

You do realize your 18th place Derby winning shirt has TWO pop culture (bacon and zombie) references on it, right?

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
orabbit wrote:"blue dark" for sure.

Agreed, looks better on dark.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Looks like a lot of necrotic equine abuse. Sigh.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

bounty42

Mavyn wrote:Looks like a lot of necrotic equine abuse. Sigh.

2 or 3 is a lot? Running at 10% and no Rejectionator Pass yet AFAIK.

Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator.

■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

edit: sorry, misread a comment. Long day.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

bounty42

Mavyn wrote:edit: sorry, misread a comment. Long day.

Is cool. I had one of those yesterday. Totally forgot to check the Derby update. Almost forgot my medication, which is BAD.

lilsquiggle

bounty42 wrote:Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator.

Oh man, that would be hilarious, and so horribly horribly abused XD

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
bounty42 wrote:Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator.

Pick me! Pick me!

move along

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima
ladybugb wrote:LMAO, I would totally wear that shirt.

Awesome! Gotta love positive input.

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima
orabbit wrote:Love the lettering. Is that a font? I'm not sure if you're done or not, but it needs a background. And maybe a shovel?

Sorry I didn't respond right away... thanks for the comment about needing a background and shovel. I had been feeling lazy and thought I might be done at the point when I posted this - so your feedback really helped me fill it out. Thanks again orabbit. Oh and yes, it is a font.

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika

Looks like a lot of people (including me) are taking their time now with this one... hmm. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

bounty42

ochopika wrote:Looks like a lot of people (including me) are taking their time now with this one... hmm. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

I think it's going to change the competition, and force people who like voting to wait until Tuesday, or miss their Favorites.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
ochopika wrote:Looks like a lot of people (including me) are taking their time now with this one... hmm. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

True. A few of the big guns have not submitted yet. They are often in early and pegging out their turf in the fog. It's hard to anticipate what all the implications will be, though I still welcome the change.

shadownumber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shadownumber

Hi, I'm a new artist and I need some advice! I've created several versions of my design, and I don't want to submit ALL of them (I've already submitted 2, I can delete them if necessary). I just want to get some input on which designs you guys like better?

1. Cranberry, Swing

2. Navy, Swing

3. Cranberry, No Swing

4. Navy, No Swing

I realize I probably should have done this earlier, but... better late than never!

lisonallie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lisonallie
kevlar51 wrote:For the gold color, I suggest you get as close as you can to the gold woot has identified. One way to do this is to sample the gold color from one of the entries put up here for critique. When you put your entry up for voting, indicate that the gold color will be metallic. And when you send in your print ready file, indicate that it will be metallic on the gold layer.

While submitting designs using true Pantone colors(or gold for this derby) makes life a lot easier for the art directors and voters, it's not actually a requirement. But you might find that using really bright colors that don't exist in the Pantone library will sometimes yield disappointing results.

For halftones, you're unfortunately going to have to make them yourself for the shirt comp file--gradients will get you rejected. Honestly though, some of the very best designs out there don't use them at all.

Thank you so much for replying and helping : ).

Tifereth4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tifereth4

the submissions for the past few months have been repetitive and lack any design depth. i no longer acknowledge shirtwoot as a legitimate source for tshirt designs