agingdragqueen

quality posts: 172 Private Messages agingdragqueen
acraigl wrote:That explains the glazed look.

I brought this deeply painful pun on me

oakenspirit

quality posts: 114 Private Messages oakenspirit
Re: ham solo

YES!

Do you think he will be cured in episode eight?

Wheels03

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wheels03
L3g3ndQ wrote:hate to burst your bubble but...

https://www.designbyhumans.com/shop/t-shirt/men/rebel-flourish/166990/ there is already one very similar

Thanks for the heads up, but that's actually my design from a couple years ago. Thought I'd give Shirt.Woot a much better version that's 100% hand-drawn

Cr1venS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cr1venS
MissyCorey wrote:Thank you flemtone and Cr1venS!
Cr1venS- my method for doing them or my method for making them not distort when I shrink the image for the shirt comp? Or both?

As much as you are willing to share please. I had tried using the effect/pixelate/halftone effect as Acraigl kindly suggested. but I was getting some really funky results. I stumbled upon another guide that recommended using the inbuilt graphical dot patterns which I did and seemed to be workable until I wanted to make a screen display version. Which in the end I despaired of and posted what I had.

agingdragqueen

oakenspirit wrote:YES!

Do you think he will be cured in episode eight?

I deserve all of these puns

MissyCorey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MissyCorey
Cr1venS wrote:As much as you are willing to share please. I had tried using the effect/pixelate/halftone effect as Acraigl kindly suggested. but I was getting some really funky results. I stumbled upon another guide that recommended using the inbuilt graphical dot patterns which I did and seemed to be workable until I wanted to make a screen display version. Which in the end I despaired of and posted what I had.

I use a method that I learned from a YouTube video by Bamboota, I use photoshop but if I remember right she also showed how she does it with illustrator.
First I open new with the same size as what I'm working on. Then hold down shift and drag the layer you want to haltone over to the new and release shift when you're in the center of the new project.
Then image > mode > greyscale
You'll get a pop up, click flatten then click discard
Then image> mode > bitmap
On the popup make sure it's set to output 300 and halftone screen
Chose your size and angle (I play around with that depending on the look I want)
Chose your shape (I usually use round)
Click ok
Turn it back to greyscale with image > mode > greyscale
Make a duplicate layer and make the original layer invisible by clicking the little eye next to it. (Honestly don't know if that step is neccisary but I do it out of habit)
Then select >color range >Sampled colors
Touch white with your stylus
Click ok, Backspace to delete white, deselect (ctrl D)
Now you've got a halftoned layer of black dots, hold shift and drag it to the center of your original project, when you release shift it will be in the exact place it should be. Make the original unhalftoned layer invisible by clicking the little eye. Lock the transparency on your halftoned layer by clicking the little checkerboard, and paint it the color you want your dots to be, unlock it.
Done. Repeat for any other layers you want to halftone 😃 Lots of steps but it only takes a minute once you do it a few times.

For my comp images so they don't distort when I shrink them- first I make my shirt color layer invisible so you've got a clear background and save as a png file. Open that png and change the image size by clicking image > image size. Usually I change it to the exact size, so 186 pixels on its biggest measurement for the thumbnail or 602 pixels for the shirt comp, then hold shift and drag it to the comp I'm making. By changing the image size of the png file and dragging it over I end up not needing to, or barely needing to, use the move tool to change its size and I've found the more you change the size with the move tool the more distorted it looks. Plus then you don't have to change the size of the original file and risk accidentally saving it all tiny... not that I once learned that lesson firsthand... ok I did, hahaha

Cr1venS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cr1venS
MissyCorey wrote:I use a method that I learned from a YouTube video by Bamboota, I use photoshop but if I remember right she also showed how she does it with illustrator.
First I open new with the same size as what I'm working on. Then hold down shift and drag the layer you want to haltone over to the new and release shift when you're in the center of the new project.
Then image > mode > greyscale
You'll get a pop up, click flatten then click discard
Then image> mode > bitmap
On the popup make sure it's set to output 300 and halftone screen
Chose your size and angle (I play around with that depending on the look I want)
Chose your shape (I usually use round)
Click ok
Turn it back to greyscale with image > mode > greyscale
Make a duplicate layer and make the original layer invisible by clicking the little eye next to it. (Honestly don't know if that step is neccisary but I do it out of habit)
Then select >color range >Sampled colors
Touch white with your stylus
Click ok, Backspace to delete white, deselect (ctrl D)
Now you've got a halftoned layer of black dots, hold shift and drag it to the center of your original project, when you release shift it will be in the exact place it should be. Make the original unhalftoned layer invisible by clicking the little eye. Lock the transparency on your halftoned layer by clicking the little checkerboard, and paint it the color you want your dots to be, unlock it.
Done. Repeat for any other layers you want to halftone 😃 Lots of steps but it only takes a minute once you do it a few times.

For my comp images so they don't distort when I shrink them- first I make my shirt color layer invisible so you've got a clear background and save as a png file. Open that png and change the image size by clicking image > image size. Usually I change it to the exact size, so 186 pixels on its biggest measurement for the thumbnail or 602 pixels for the shirt comp, then hold shift and drag it to the comp I'm making. By changing the image size of the png file and dragging it over I end up not needing to, or barely needing to, use the move tool to change its size and I've found the more you change the size with the move tool the more distorted it looks. Plus then you don't have to change the size of the original file and risk accidentally saving it all tiny... not that I once learned that lesson firsthand... ok I did, hahaha

Thank you kind stranger. I will be using this again and again.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 54 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: Rebel

Thanks for the nice comments! I love making designs with that retro feel. Happy you guys like them too.

fishbiscuit5

Re: Summer Training

Great design! I love the mashup and the colors make me think of The Outsiders. Stay gold, Luke!

fishbiscuit5

Re: Samurai Luke

Perfect mashup.

fishbiscuit5

Re: ham solo

I bet his best friend is Porkins.

UnblessedLemon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages UnblessedLemon
saltysilver wrote:Really like this one! I think I'd like it in black. Baby blue isn't Rebel enough for me.

No one expects the baby blue rebellion. :D

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 280 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Thanks, I felt good about the idea. LEGOey. Like the parts fit together in a satisfying way.

acraigl

quality posts: 186 Private Messages acraigl
Re: 1977

Awesome!

VOTE! >>

dogboytq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dogboytq

I don't normally beg for shirts to make it into the Monday sale, but I will for this one. Oh PAAAAAAHLEASE!!!!!!

Re: That IS a Moon

dogboytq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dogboytq

This one is genius and I will own it. I have long argued that the Karate Kid is one of the greatest films ever made.

Spiritgreen wrote:Thanks, I felt good about the idea. LEGOey. Like the parts fit together in a satisfying way.

agingdragqueen

fishbiscuit5 wrote:I bet his best friend is Porkins.

Gosh I bet it is ;_;

Inatangle

quality posts: 127 Private Messages Inatangle
Re: Smuggler's Blues

I'd have the blues too, if I were going to be dipped into Carbonite...

Inatangle

Re: Steamboat Chewie

spikeani wrote:Wookies love classic Disney cartoons

So do I! I'd love to have this mashup of two of my favorites. I hope this picks up more votes!

(Just sent you a PM, btw.)

noisdois

quality posts: 1 Private Messages noisdois
Re: Rebellious Ladies

I really like your style. Do you do the final product in illustrator, or is this all in photoshop (or none of the above)?

dooomcat

quality posts: 17 Private Messages dooomcat
noisdois wrote:I really like your style. Do you do the final product in illustrator, or is this all in photoshop (or none of the above)?

Hand drawn/inked, colours in PS.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 114 Private Messages oakenspirit
Re: Steamboat Chewie

Super fun idea and artwork. :D

coryhoehn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coryhoehn
Re: 1977

I would wear the F outta this.

mavericktiger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mavericktiger
Re: Return of the Meow

Nice one!

spikeani

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spikeani
oakenspirit wrote:Super fun idea and artwork. :D

Thanks thought it would be fun. Yours were really good also. I voted for both. Wish I was more social media savvy. I would probably get more votes. Oh well still having fun.

ILoveEwe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ILoveEwe

Hah! This is great. Ever since I first saw that video, I was quoting it because it's just so catchy. Seeing the thumb, I had to do a double-take that it was a nod to that video. Really awesome.

Beautiful colors too.

ILoveEwe

Re: Smuggler's Blues

Fantastic! I think you captured the style of Cowboy Bebop really well (and a great use of a pretty iconic image). I thought it WAS Spike at first (which is still thematically appropriate anyway). A super cool mash-up done well.

ILoveEwe

Re: Rebellious Ladies

I really like this soft and round style you use sometimes. It's beautiful and very easy to identify as yours. Very cute and very wearable.

ILoveEwe

Spiritgreen wrote:Love it. :^)

Thank you

I thought it might be a bit too esoteric of a quote, but I thought it was too funny to skip over.

saltysilver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saltysilver
UnblessedLemon wrote:No one expects the baby blue rebellion. :D

This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.

spikeani

ILoveEwe wrote:Fantastic! I think you captured the style of Cowboy Bebop really well (and a great use of a pretty iconic image). I thought it WAS Spike at first (which is still thematically appropriate anyway). A super cool mash-up done well.

Thanks I got lucky. but funny the part about it was this was a test shoot of Mr. Ford for star wars. And his side profile just blended so well with Spike.

spikeani

Re: Asteroids Do Not Concern Me

Dang this was a really good design. GMV

caramelarrow

quality posts: 19 Private Messages caramelarrow
Re: Yellow Hunk Of Junk

MissyCorey it was very kind of you to post the directions to help another artist. I've seen the artists here helping each other for years and it's one of the reasons I still come to shirt.woot and still vote. All of you (artists) are great people!

07/11/14

Inatangle

caramelarrow wrote: All of you (artists) are great people!

Yes you are!

I've been ridiculously busy the past week or so, and have been dealing with some annoying health problems. I've only gotten to comment on 1 or 2 Derby entries... darn. I've seen at least 25 that I'd love to comment on. Great entries this week!

I've been voting like crazy though... and I hope to be around more for the next Derby.

Keep up the fantastic designing!

ferfer72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ferfer72

Allen wants one of these so bad! (I'm speaking of the PBR2D2)

moonbeamchaos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages moonbeamchaos
Re: Yellow Hunk Of Junk

This is SUPERB!! And thank you so much for using a brown shirt. Five stars all around. xoxoxoxooxoxxxoooxxxoooo

cdrewlow

quality posts: 17 Private Messages cdrewlow
simic wrote:Dude, I'll send you a high resolution PDF. NO PRESSURE!

Yay!!

MissyCorey

caramelarrow wrote:MissyCorey it was very kind of you to post the directions to help another artist. I've seen the artists here helping each other for years and it's one of the reasons I still come to shirt.woot and still vote. All of you (artists) are great people!

Caramelarrow- I agree! Artists are the best! Everything I know I've learned from the kindness and support of other artists.

MissyCorey

Inatangle wrote:Yes you are!

I've been ridiculously busy the past week or so, and have been dealing with some annoying health problems. I've only gotten to comment on 1 or 2 Derby entries... darn. I've seen at least 25 that I'd love to comment on. Great entries this week!

I've been voting like crazy though... and I hope to be around more for the next Derby.

Keep up the fantastic designing!

I noticed you seemed quiet this week Inatangle- sorry to hear you had health issues and hope you're feeling better!

MissyCorey

moonbeamchaos wrote:This is SUPERB!! And thank you so much for using a brown shirt. Five stars all around. xoxoxoxooxoxxxoooxxxoooo

Thanks moonbeamchaos! And yay you like the shirt color 😃 I was hoping it helped keep the design feeling retro. (Plus- I just love a brown woot shirt)