Kozi1990

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kozi1990
Re: Eisler's Nightmare

i know this is gunna be a stupid question but how do you vote?

Mancho

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Mancho
Kozi1990 wrote:i know this is gunna be a stupid question but how do you vote?

Voting is over for this week, so the quick answer is... you don't. Otherwise, see the FAQ

raevynpheather

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raevynpheather

I love the arguments that take place on here.

It is so much fun to see how dumb people are.

People say certain shirts suck all the time, but all you really have to do is look at numbers sold. If a shirt makes it to print and sell less than around 1500, then overall it leaps into the vacuum. yes some people like it, but some people like two girls one cup too, that doesnt mean that it is any good. If a shirt sells more than around 1500, it is a good shirt, because more people liked it. And if a shirt sells out, it is an awesome shirt.

You may disagree with this, which is fine, people have different opinions, but remember for those that are vocal against the shirts week after week that sell good. It may not be the shirts that suck, or the tastes of the majority that like those shirts, but it may in fact be your tastes that suck.

drgribb

quality posts: 4 Private Messages drgribb
SnowQueenVT wrote:

Thankyou drgribb! In my dream these massive sharks go floating through my house past all the furniture and down the hallway and it IS psychadelic and dreamy. I used to feel like sharks were in my bathtub and in swimming pools! (You know, I knew they weren't but...)Definate phobia here!! Thanks for your vote.

Haha forsure. Lemme know if you decide to have it printed somewhere!
Yeah, I felt you captured that idea of the impossible happening in dreams, but making sense/seeming normal in the dream pretty well.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
raevynpheather wrote:I love the arguments that take place on here.

It is so much fun to see how dumb people are.

People say certain shirts suck all the time, but all you really have to do is look at numbers sold. If a shirt makes it to print and sell less than around 1500, then overall it leaps into the vacuum. yes some people like it, but some people like two girls one cup too, that doesnt mean that it is any good. If a shirt sells more than around 1500, it is a good shirt, because more people liked it. And if a shirt sells out, it is an awesome shirt.

You may disagree with this, which is fine, people have different opinions, but remember for those that are vocal against the shirts week after week that sell good. It may not be the shirts that suck, or the tastes of the majority that like those shirts, but it may in fact be your tastes that suck.

Please consider what sells in other artistic formats. Jonas Brothers. Twilight. McDonalds makes more money than the best local restaurant in your area. Thomas Kinkade will always sell more paintings than any local artist in your area. Milli Vanilli even won a grammy without singing a note on their albums.

The majority fails repeatedly. It's not a matter of tastes. It's a matter of no taste being considered taste.

You are utterly ignorant if you think sales equate to quality. But then, being utterly ignorant is what brings the sales in anyway, so it's all good for you, isn't it? The fact is that in every situation possible, there are things not getting the "populist" support that still do well. There are bands with no radio airplay selling the same as whatever new act is getting payola all over the radio, because they are simply a quality band. There are artists making thousands of dollars on their work that you've never heard of, and probably wouldn't like because you think the work that wins here is attractive. There are people who care about what they do and are doing as well as some people who do not but are being hyped by a machine that believes mediocrity deserves to be promoted, because it's all about sales, not quality. Except there ARE scholars out there. There ARE aesthetes. And believe me, they aren't going to forge a relevance into a movement or a piece just because it is financially viable. Pet Rocks sold millions. It's not a sign of good product. It's a sign of blithering idiots with money.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
paigeg wrote: Woot wants to sell shirts. Check out the "What is Shirt.Woot" if you don't recall that.

"The difference is, these aren’t somebody else’s leftovers. Woot tees feature exclusive, original designs that you can’t get anywhere else (hence the terms “exclusive” and “original”)."

"If you mean “shirts produced and sold by Woot featuring a wide variety of design styles and subject matter”, then yes, in that sense, you might call these “Woot shirts.”"

It seems as though, from the shirt woot FAQ, that woot is about more than simply selling shirts. EVERY BUSINESS WANTS TO SELL THINGS. But not every business is willing to sell junk. Woot's FAQ has plenty of places where it insists they want quality, diverse, original pieces. It is only woot's practice, and woot's ignorant voters, which lead one to the false belief that "a shirt is just a shirt" and "popularity means its good".

Not to mention dailies. If woot was only about selling shirts, you'd think they'd pick more surefire sellouts for them, wouldn't you? A daily in and of itself proves every argument of this nature wrong. Editor's choices especially. Because woot's derby editors choice pieces show a site that doesn't care so much about what will sell as what is good most of the time. And yet, they almost always lead to at least one piece which outsells the popular pieces. AND POPULARITY MEANS ITS GOOD LOLOLOLOMG.

There is no evidence that woot would not be much happier to be printing three good, decent selling shirts per derby than three horrible, huge sellers. They're too set in their ways to admit their print method is flawed, and flawed majorly. Any respectable member of this site will give you a list of ways the derby can and should be improved. But woot wants it to be better without doing anything. their lack of action is all about being stubborn, not evidence that they like where the derby is going. they just don't like the idea of having to be fair and put effort in to running a fair contest.

joshlung

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joshlung

this shirt is brilliant.. it gmv but i really hope it ends up getting printed. i voted the day i saw it but i mean idk.. i must get it! its an phenomenal design!

Woots

• Perfect Pullup x3
  • Random Crap x2
  • Philips/DLO FM Transmitter and Charger for iPod or Zune

icymallard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
Re: i dreamed of a monster under the bed

awesome.

too late for a vote

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
soothsayer117 wrote:Now this is one of the most balderah posts I have ever encountered here at Woot. So now you need logic and facts to justify a shirt purchase, don't make me laugh. You really need to look over your post and think about what you just wrote. If some thinking doesn't help you realize how utterly ignorant it is, then I probably can't help you, nor anyone else for that matter. And insulting other people's designs just because you can't argue shows all the more ignorance.

Don't let him bother you too much, he just likes to start arguments with his conceited opinions that he forces upon others that are always right and yours are always wrong. He's a self proclaimed internet expert, don't mess with him, he knows all about design and what's right and wrong. *snicker Don't worry about being rude to him as well, acting civil towards him just get's a jerk response anyway. Just look around the threads, it won't be hard to find him arguing and fighting with anybody he can on a daily, weekly, yearly basis.

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
starrynite211 wrote:And if the same people win over and over again, regardless of if you like their design aesthetic or you think their off topic, then obviously there are those out there that do like their work. If it bothers you so much to see something win that you feel is off topic and unfair, welcome to the real world where stuff isn't always fair. Don't participate if you cant stand it.

He hasn't learned that life lesson yet and probably won't for a long time due to his ignorance. He likes to stay places where he can complain and be miserable everyday. Hey, a kid's gotta vent his life's stresses somewhere I guess.

enikcilik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enikcilik
AcorNayho wrote:I just want to say thanks to anyone who's voted for this. This is my first venture onto woot after having just discovered it through a friend of mine. I love the concept of having a new assignment each week, and failed to upload a piece I did for the egyptian theme. It really means a lot to have so many people vote for my piece. Thanks again everyone!

You got 25 votes!!! Yay A!! :D I can't wait to see your next one.

fablefire

quality posts: 24 Private Messages fablefire
Re: Recurring Nightmare

Thanks for the support this week!

Vult

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Vult
jmmbell1987 wrote:Precisely. As I said, some people must want nothing but shirts that consist of shiny, nondescript white and blue swirls.

And the problem with this is...?

celestialokami

quality posts: 0 Private Messages celestialokami

Made me think of Today I Die (by Daniel Benmergui).

Too bad it didn't get in the finals.

MissJamieD

quality posts: 44 Private Messages MissJamieD
Re: crush

Alright, 2 more days to go... Please, please, please (Woot deities) may fater bring this eloquent shirt to my doorstop. I'm pretty invested in its success!!

Great shirt that is absolutely charming!

halcyonnn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages halcyonnn
AdderXYU wrote:Please consider what sells in other artistic formats. Jonas Brothers. Twilight. McDonalds makes more money than the best local restaurant in your area. Thomas Kinkade will always sell more paintings than any local artist in your area. Milli Vanilli even won a grammy without singing a note on their albums.

The majority fails repeatedly. It's not a matter of tastes. It's a matter of no taste being considered taste.

You are utterly ignorant if you think sales equate to quality. But then, being utterly ignorant is what brings the sales in anyway, so it's all good for you, isn't it? The fact is that in every situation possible, there are things not getting the "populist" support that still do well. There are bands with no radio airplay selling the same as whatever new act is getting payola all over the radio, because they are simply a quality band. There are artists making thousands of dollars on their work that you've never heard of, and probably wouldn't like because you think the work that wins here is attractive. There are people who care about what they do and are doing as well as some people who do not but are being hyped by a machine that believes mediocrity deserves to be promoted, because it's all about sales, not quality. Except there ARE scholars out there. There ARE aesthetes. And believe me, they aren't going to forge a relevance into a movement or a piece just because it is financially viable. Pet Rocks sold millions. It's not a sign of good product. It's a sign of blithering idiots with money.

I do not think quality here is the issue. This may come as a bit of a shock, but people start businesses to make money. If the public demands something, no matter if it is to your standards, you can not fault its production. Shirt.woot is not an art gallery. It is a company, a company that needs money to exist. There is nothing out of place or wrong about them producting shirts that sell. As a matter of fact it would be irresponsible for them to produce shirts that only meet your standards as they obviously would not sell as many to the people that frequent the site. The people that frequent the site are voting on what they like. If you think that what the majority of people here like is dumb, then stop coming here! There is no reason for you to come back other than to try to make yourself feel superior because you have such better taste than everybody else.

I guess when it comes down to it, you must be a very insecure person that is looking for whatever you can to make you feel like you are better than the next guy/gal. I bet you had your lunch money stolen alot from you in school.

vagraphix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vagraphix

I love this shirt. I hope it comes up for sale!

cmabratte

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmabratte

I will buy this shirt if it goes to print.

dietotaku

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dietotaku
mrwednesday wrote:People clearly die during the day so I'd say he works all hours. The "pun" is grasping at straws anyways, not to mention the reference is "before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him." Revelation was a prophecy. A vision of things to come and an apocalyptic one at that, not a nightmare so there isn't a tie in there either.

i'd consider THE APOCALYPSE quite the nightmarish scenario, wouldn't you?

@halcyonnn - very true. the button next to each shirt says "I'D BUY THIS," not "THIS IS PRETTY" or "PERFECTLY ON-THEME" or "MADE ME THINK" or anything. it simply asks whether or not you'd buy the shirt. clearly, a lot of people want to buy a shirt with chibi death on a chibi playground horse.

megahertz67

quality posts: 1 Private Messages megahertz67
Re: Behold a pale horse...

I voted for this shirt. I like it. I bought it. I can't wait to wear it. Thanks ramyb.

gunezzue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gunezzue
SnowQueenVT wrote:This is such a cool shirt, it would look good on me! Cool one!

thank you im thinking since not many people realy like it here at all i'll draw up one realy similar and sale it some where els if i do ill pm u here.

hapidan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hapidan
Re: My Little Nightmare

I hate to admit it but this reminds me of the card "Nightmare" from Magic the Gathering. At least in revised edition it was a horse with flames for a tail and mane.

svgarcia415

quality posts: 0 Private Messages svgarcia415
Re: They're as afraid of you as you are of them

I nominate this shirt for a BLA (Best Loser's) award.

vlewis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vlewis
Re: The Guardian

This is so great. I would love to be able to buy a print of this on paper for my kid's room.

thatrobert

quality posts: 28 Private Messages thatrobert
svgarcia415 wrote:I nominate this shirt for a BLA (Best Loser's) award.

Ha! I avoid self-congratulations!

sfire76

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sfire76
megahertz67 wrote:I voted for this shirt. I like it. I bought it. I can't wait to wear it. Thanks ramyb.

I did not vote for the shirt (or any others, I've been bad about that lately) but I bought one shortly after midnight. Very good design in my opinion and I like the irony of death stopping off on a scorched playground to go for a quick ride on the pony before commencing forth with more destruction.

Trying to get a good design thrown out on a poorly constructed technicality seems rather cancellation to me, but to each their own. I don't get caught up on the voting more/less the comments of voters, I am just looking for a good product to show up on shirt.woot and vote with my wallet. I don't think I'm the only one based on how many complaints this generated by a vocal minority while still selling out by noon.

Nice work on the art, can't wait to proudly wear mine!

vagraphix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vagraphix

If your shirt doesn't go up for sale on here do you have an alternate place to purchase it?

kellymcgehee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kellymcgehee
Re: Nightmare Warrior

is it still possible to get this shirt?

Tzares

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tzares
Re: The Nightmare King

Awsome art 8) hope they will print this!

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
vlewis wrote:This is so great. I would love to be able to buy a print of this on paper for my kid's room.

You can always frame a tshirt :P

or if it doesn't print I'm toying with starting up some small store using cafepress or mysoti.

~Cheers

JayBird1288

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JayBird1288

its a crime this shirt didnt print

parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks
JayBird1288 wrote:its a crime this shirt didnt print

I agree. I tend to keep my mouth shut during all the competitive voting but I really had expected this to print. Beautiful artwork.

surfdad

quality posts: 10 Private Messages surfdad

Color me disappointed... not to mention a certain little boy who liked this design too!

Liniscrazy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Liniscrazy
Re: dreamcatcher

Oh man I would have definitely bought this one had it won! *sigh*

frushtrated

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frushtrated
Re: Close Your Eyes

holy scaffolding I love this shirt. I don't know how this whole derby thing works, but I hope this will be available. I honestly love the whole nightmare theme and think that they should all be available, but THIS ONE...THIS ONE completely rocks.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
surfdad wrote:Color me disappointed... not to mention a certain little boy who liked this design too!

Very, very sad this didn't print. I'm actually really surprised, as this design is appealing in so many ways. We were all waiting for it to print so we could buy it. I am ok with Sokowa printing, as I also liked hers, but man I -wanted- this one.

PP needs to open a print shop on DA I really would like to buy this as a print, as well as the Vague Memories :D

LeaderDesslock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LeaderDesslock

How did this design not make the cut? Is it just me, or does it seem like some American Idol type spoilers keep voting for the Sanjaya's of Designs, while the really excellent ones go unrewarded?

Victuum Invideo Silenti

DoublEE

quality posts: 8 Private Messages DoublEE
AdderXYU wrote:"The difference is, these aren’t somebody else’s leftovers. Woot tees feature exclusive, original designs that you can’t get anywhere else (hence the terms “exclusive” and “original”)."

Like a moth to the flame...

Death, taxes and AdderXYU bashing ramyb and wetting his pants while rambling on about true art.

RedJoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RedJoy

Okay, so I read about 75% of the comments and then stopped reading after they really had nothing to do with the design.
So let me just start my comment off officially by addressing the masses.

Fact: The design did have to do with the derby.

Fact: Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Fact: Everyone has a right to voice that opinion.

Opinion: While everyone has the right to voice their words (however harsh they might be), that doesn't make it right to say what ever you want. I understand completely that this is an area to "comment" but at some point you have to stop and say to your self; "Is this really something that I'd like to hear about my art work?" Because if your just saying things to show your dislike for the artist then your going about commenting the wrong way. The only thing you should really be doing at all, when talking about the design, is critiquing it. All you people know how to do is criticize, and it's not right. This goes for everyone, the people saying that they love it, and the people saying that they hate it. Critiquing isn't just saying I love it because (blank) or I hate it because (blank.) Critiquing is giving the artist or author of a piece of work (1) A side [like or dislike] (2) A reason [because blank] and (3) A way to fix the issue [more contrast and less color]. But critiquing is so much more than those three elements! You should really be saying something like:
I love this piece of art work, the design is simple and yet the more you look at it, the more twists and turns there are. You gave a wonderful description of this piece and what the message that you're trying to send to the viewers is. You've also done a good job at telling us what this piece means to you. The colors match beautifully, but the one thing that I would have to say needs improvement is the similarity between this and your other works and the works of other artists that I've seen. One way you could improve is by changing the color spectrum, or by trying another type of brush stroke or medium to add to your artistic style. All in all this is a good piece and the quality of effort is there. Keep working hard and striving for improvement. Thank You for making this piece.

That is what a critique should look like. It should be like an essay. And personally I do like this piece. I am an artist myself and I've taken many art classes and I've learned how to improve myself and critique others, but one of the reasons that I would never put my art up on a web site like this is because of the fact that so many people who comment don't know how to do anything but be rude. I enjoy listening to critiques for my art work, all critiques are positive ones, whether or not the person giving it likes my art work. If they use the correct format, I can turn what they've said into a way to self improve. I really hope that others can learn from what I've said, or at least not bash on what I've said simply because they don't like it.

RedJoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RedJoy

halcyonnn, I agree with you 100%