changwatch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages changwatch
beentheredonethat wrote:Now this I like. A shirt that is so well done, and so obscure, that no one has to know that you bought it off of a tacky themed contest like leap year on woot. Of course, my condolences to the designer, because this cool shirt will never sell here. The shirts that make it on this site are, well, tacky at best. Not all of them (as I have liked 4 of them enough to buy) but most of them. Just look at the fog. Great job to the designer.

Amen. Too bad it won't make it into the fog because people want cheesy looking "clever" designs. Consumers can't seem to differentiate this from actual design, showcased here. I mean, I was at the MoA this past week and seriously saw a teenage girl wearing a shirt that read "I like ketchup on my ketchup." What?? Really?? So, kudos to this design and its designer. Oh, how I wish I could purchase it.

I have purchased some shirts on shirt.woot.

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Re: Just because.....

Go lemmings!!!!! Congrats redghia!

goodedesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goodedesign
mjc613 wrote:Whatever is clean and fits.

no... all black.

[url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=8016]

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot

Congratulations on entering the fog. Sorry it came at the expense of Stonehenge, but perhaps there is still hope for both designs.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

klswoot wrote:Congratulations on entering the fog. Sorry it came at the expense of Stonehenge, but perhaps there is still hope for both designs.

Thanks kls. Stonehenge was OK IMO, but certainly wouldn't rank it as one of my personal favorites of mine so I don't mind so much that it probably won't get printed. I do like the lemmings though, so at least it got replaced with something cool.

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
tgentry wrote:Thanks kls. Stonehenge was OK IMO, but certainly wouldn't rank it as one of my personal favorites of mine so I don't mind so much that it probably won't get printed. I do like the lemmings though, so at least it got replaced with something cool.

No, lets face reality, its too late for the Stonehenge. But there's still time for 3 armed mutant cherub! Everyone vote now!! I did and I'm still alive.

tgentry

Staff

Iambusyeating wrote:No, lets face reality, its too late for the Stonehenge. But there's still time for 3 armed mutant cherub! Everyone vote now!! I did and I'm still alive.

Hahaa, you're still alive, but you'll carry that darkness with you always, like a gypsy curse.

Edit: Whoa now it looks like stonehenge is back in and optical illusion is out. This is a close race for third and fourth methinks.

redghia69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redghia69
brizz wrote:Lemmings just knocked stonehenge out....nothing can stop em now! Giraffes are next!

I heard it here first -- I was checking the posts and about fell over!

redghia69

tgentry wrote:Whoa now it looks like stonehenge is back in and optical illusion is out. This is a close race for third and fourth methinks.

There it is -- that's a better looking set!

heartluce

tgentry wrote:Hahaa, you're still alive, but you'll carry that darkness with you always, like a gypsy curse.

Edit: Whoa now it looks like stonehenge is back in and optical illusion is out. This is a close race for third and fourth methinks.

I think it's a close race for 2nd and 3rd. Only IAm is safe :D. Good luck all!

Iambusyeating

tgentry wrote:Hahaa, you're still alive, but you'll carry that darkness with you always, like a gypsy curse.

This ShirtDerbyStats is about as wrong as possible. Although I can't stay away. That probably means I'm next though.

Anyhow a rather static derby just got incredibly heated should be fun to watch the next 10.5 hours.

heartluce

Iambusyeating wrote:This ShirtDerbyStats is about as wrong as possible. Although I can't stay away. That probably means I'm next though.

No, I really think you're fine. Your shirt has been in the hotness for a long time. I hope it gets printed.

Disclaimer: Of course, I could be wrong :D lulz*

klswoot

Congrats TG. You and the Lemmings will be battling it out for 3rd. In fact, it could be close between all four fogged entries.

G'night. Good luck to all the foggers and the nearby contenders!

tgentry

Staff

klswoot wrote:Congrats TG. You and the Lemmings will be battling it out for 3rd. In fact, it could be close between all four fogged entries.

G'night. Good luck to all the foggers and the nearby contenders!

Yeah could be. I think we can all agree that no matter who wins, we're all looking forward to a new derby theme. Best of luck.

WonderWooter

quality posts: 6 Private Messages WonderWooter
Re: Annexing February

adder, love this one! I would so buy it, GMV

Don't be sexist. Broads hate that.

narkus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus
heartluce wrote:I think it's a close race for 2nd and 3rd. Only IAm is safe :D. Good luck all!

wow..this is a good race; might also be a costly $ one : ) I'm likin' the fog!

geoffreysteinman

quality posts: 7 Private Messages geoffreysteinman

oh god, this is just awful....
but i'd buy one in a heartbeat, just to make others groan

Stuntdummy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stuntdummy
Re: ____ Bush...

This is just sad.

ihgg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ihgg
Re: Aztec Stonemasons hated leap day

Josephus,
love the shirt man, i like the design and i appreciate it all the more knowing that some good time was put into it. This shirt better get lost in the fog really soon!!
But hey... take it easy man. Most all of us agree with ya (including me.. duh) that the shirt is worthy of some respect as well as being wearable year-round... another appealing aspect of your design.

but... chill dude. You're going to give yourself heart burn or something... stomach ulcers maybe. There are a**holes everywhere (i'd almost bet one of your neighbors is/was an a**hole). So, no worries eh?
once again, this shirt better make it to the fog

tiaerman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiaerman

..... so forgive me but I don't understand the point of this shirt. It is a good design and the lemmings (sp?) are cute but what do you mean by the text? I understand the point that the lemmings don't have to all follow the one in front of them off the cliff, but how does it apply to me and my leap year? I'm confused. Maybe I'm just making it too difficult. Congrats though on making the fog with your late entry. I'm a newby so I wasn't sure that was possible but you seem to have made it look easy. Good job!

There are 10 types of people: those who know binary, and those who don't.

redghia69

Iambusyeating wrote:....Anyhow a rather static derby just got incredibly heated should be fun to watch the next 10.5 hours.

Very static, for a very long time. I had to step away for a while, but was here for the 5 minutes that changed everything. You're safe iambe – you’ve always been in the hotness, and the night crowd (when I’m normally working) favors the Math. I didn’t realize this was your first shirt – that’s awesome! #1 the whole way through. Congrats!

Stonehenge and Optical showed their hands, but we still don’t know where the Giraffes are hiding. Looks like we’ll be waiting for the weekend to see how it all turns out.

redghia69

tiaerman wrote:..... so forgive me but I don't understand the point of this shirt. It is a good design and the lemmings (sp?) are cute but what do you mean by the text? I understand the point that the lemmings don't have to all follow the one in front of them off the cliff, but how does it apply to me and my leap year? I'm confused. Maybe I'm just making it too difficult. Congrats though on making the fog with your late entry. I'm a newby so I wasn't sure that was possible but you seem to have made it look easy. Good job!

Thanks! This is my interpretation from an earlier post, but you’re forgiven for not having read through all that:

If death and taxes are the only requirements in life, then Leap Day is optional. As the saying goes, “Just because everyone else is doing it....” and I’m applying that to Leap Day. Go ahead and have March 1st on a Friday this year, if you like.

Make of that what you will!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus

Again... cute, but really ugly, animals get votes.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

TaterTot

quality posts: 3 Private Messages TaterTot
Re: Do the Math

Wow, I really love this. Hope you win! That color blue looks awesome on me too hah.

UTL

quality posts: 1 Private Messages UTL
Re: Leap year, a programers perspective

It doesn't add up right. It gives two days on years divisible by 400 instead of the usual 1.

Last w00t!: w00t! branded skillet. WOOT!

yeeter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yeeter
jrv0106 wrote:I really hope this shirt wins. I love it.

Thanks, jrv0106 but I've held in 17th place for the last two days (and voting stops today at noon), so I don't think there is any chance. Heck, it's just text go get a marker and make one for yourself -- I don't mind.

VOTE!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
ihgg wrote:Josephus,
love the shirt man, i like the design and i appreciate it all the more knowing that some good time was put into it. This shirt better get lost in the fog really soon!!
But hey... take it easy man. Most all of us agree with ya (including me.. duh) that the shirt is worthy of some respect as well as being wearable year-round... another appealing aspect of your design.

but... chill dude. You're going to give yourself heart burn or something... stomach ulcers maybe. There are a**holes everywhere (i'd almost bet one of your neighbors is/was an a**hole). So, no worries eh?
once again, this shirt better make it to the fog

thanks for the kind words and empathy. I'm not burning myself an ulcer, rest assured. It's just that I watch the derby closely enough to recognize that every negative post hurts the number of votes you get. Especially when they are repeated and seem to be building to a consensus. As a consequence, I have been responding more strongly than I in general would. I've sort of come to a conclusion that the people who make the designs ought not to let the critics just have their statements go unchallenged, no matter how subtle the digs are parsed. I don't know if it will work, but I do know that it isn't very pleasant for the designer to have people come in and repeat the same criticisms, sometimes criticism that the very person has already posted a couple of times. If they're just trolls, then responding this way won't help, and I recognize that. On the other hand, if they are aware that we are going to not let the baseless or unfair criticisms go unchallenged, then maybe they will be less enthusiastic about making pointless digs.
In the halloween derby, I let the digs by one person go unchallenged- I was in the fog, and was afraid that responding would lose me votes. The person who was jumping all over my design was 'imcompa', and started attacking my shirt as soon as it started to get close to the fog. immediately my vote totals slowed down. I came in third by about 14 votes behind 'goldfishinapicklejar'. Guess who was secretly imcompa? yep- goldfishinapicklejar. I don't know for sure, but I I suspect strongly that I would have gotten enough votes to take second place had this person not acted a complete I wuvs you! and tried to sabotage my entry. Had I placed second, without question I would have had more sales than I did, since there would have been an extra day before halloween to get the shirt shipped on time before the holiday. So, from my perspective, letting these 'criticisms' go can have real effects on the designer's placement as well as hurting their sales if they do get printed.
I'm well aware that this design isn't going to get printed, but on principle I am not going to let this stuff slide just because it doesn't matter in the short term. Maybe in the long term it will matter that the designers like me don't just turn the other cheek to get it slapped too.

klswoot

goodedesign wrote:
For the record, the stone henge & mayan/incan calendar & this one should have been much higher up.

Thanks Goodedesign. Glad you liked this one.

BTW- Where have you been? This is your first entry in some time, no?

klswoot

tgentry wrote:Yeah could be. I think we can all agree that no matter who wins, we're all looking forward to a new derby theme. Best of luck.

Most definitely.

sailstud25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
tgentry wrote:Yeah could be. I think we can all agree that no matter who wins, we're all looking forward to a new derby theme. Best of luck.

Yeah, despite all the talk earlier about this being a stale theme, it's turned really interesting!
Looks like math's way out front and then basically a 4 way tie according to shirtderbystats.
Come on lemmings!!!

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

klswoot

Re: Take the Leap on Feb. 29

Any ideas why this one bombed so badly? (I actually liked it a lot.) But it sank right from the start. Here's your opportunity to be brutally honest....I would really like to know for future derby designs. So, any advice you might have would be appreciated...and you can be as rough with your reply as you'd like. It's okay....

Iambusyeating

klswoot wrote:Any ideas why this one bombed so badly? (I actually liked it a lot.) But it sank right from the start. Here's your opportunity to be brutally honest....I would really like to know for future derby designs. So, any advice you might have would be appreciated...and you can be as rough with your reply as you'd like. It's okay....

I guess one problem is many guys wouldn't want to be seen wearing this shirt, and that isolates a big portion of voters. I guess another, at least for me, is that it doesn't really say anything. It's a great picture but it seems out of place on a shirt. I do really like the drawing style though.

ctravers1085

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ctravers1085

Any word on whether or not they accepted the change (adding a multipication and approximately equal to sign)?

klswoot

Iambusyeating wrote:I guess one problem is many guys wouldn't want to be seen wearing this shirt, and that isolates a big portion of voters. I guess another, at least for me, is that it doesn't really say anything. It's a great picture but it seems out of place on a shirt. I do really like the drawing style though.

Thanks. You're right. Maybe this is a case where it makes an okay drawing...but not really suitable for a tshirt. I knew it probably wouldn't be purchased by men for men...but I thought that every once in awhile the woot men might like to buy a shirt for a girlfriend, wife, sister, mother, etc. Guess this wasn't the right one. I'll have to work on being less gender-specific with my designs in the future.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

sailstud25

rogueangel wrote:...So yes, I felt bad that the shirt was already dropped during a day of reckoning, and even worse that I couldn't let the club know who the designer was. Please enlighten me on how is was not a missed opportunity for the artist to find their audience?

Wow, I just skimmed through a very interesting thread that I had been missing. I just recalled patch's initial comment at the very beginning, and came to say that yours seems like a quite tasteful tag and good argument I quoted above, but I fear what could become of such a trend. I'll have to come back and read the thread more closely, but I admire and respect tg's stance on the matter. I'll have to check out his lady of spain shirt again.

thanks for such great conversation all!

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!

sailstud25

redghia69 wrote:Looks like shirtderbystats may be trying to estimate the relative scores for the fog, but doesn’t pretend to try to guess the spread between 4 and 5 – at least not after 3.5 days without anyone dropping out. It just knows that #4 has at least one more vote than #5, and that's what it shows. I guess there’s only one way to find out….

oops, I didn't read far enough back before my last comment... I see what you mean about the stats. The 4 way tie is very unlikely, wish we could tell how it was playing out! If the recent hotness is any indicator, giraffes may be in 4th. Or just my wishful thinking...

sailstud25

sailstud25 wrote:If the recent hotness is any indicator, giraffes may be in 4th. Or just my wishful thinking...

No offense to the giraffes!
I just wanna buy the lemmings :-D

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Aztec Stonemasons hated leap day

Josephus. Stop. Breathe. Now go back and look at the comments from people who are long term wooters. WE are the ones who count, not some troll who only has 5 posts and no woots. Spend more time responding to US, and stop spending energy on him.

I know that negative comments can be correlated to votes. However, give the mainstream voter credit for knowing the difference between a knowledgeable critique and ranting.

parkermc

quality posts: 23 Private Messages parkermc
Torvik wrote:And isn't this what makes shirt.woot so great? Nerds get shirts like this that artists wouldn't wear. Artists get shirts that nerds wouldn't wear. The masses get meme shirt that the sophisticated wouldn't wear. The sophisticated get to complain about the meme shirts that the masses get to wear. What a nice system.

Exactly! Now, if we could only keep some of the groups here from bullying the others about their tastes in designs.

Love this math shirt! I can't wait to pick up one. Or two.

sailstud25

Re: Leap Like a Kangaroo

cute... like his little grin