jones21403


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jones21403
Re: Larping Mis-hap




Congrats on the fog!

sokowa


quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
jones21403 wrote:Congrats on the fog!



FOOOOOOOOG!
Congrats D! Was only a matter of time before you'd be fogging (and I assume it'll be a regular thing going forward)

dsladek


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
rachinha wrote:This is all i know about larping, but it's enough to make me a fan of the design
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3955486939380985268



that is one of the funniest larping videos I have ever seen! LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT!

srglancey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages srglancey
chrisdg wrote:What? No top ten? Sorry. I really liked this one.



Thanks. I'm disappointed, too. Maybe next week...if there's less drama.

jmar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmar

This has amazing artwork.

dsladek


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
sokowa wrote:FOOOOOOOOG!
Congrats D! Was only a matter of time before you'd be fogging (and I assume it'll be a regular thing going forward)



thanks sokowa! My first shirt design "Ooh Shiny" got fogged late just like this one. and it got placed fourth. unless I get a mad amount of votes in the next fifty minutes I fear that this design might also receive fourth. not to bad for such a late start.

thank you everyone for your comments and your votes! keep the votes coming there is a little time left!

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Re: Wahmbulance!!!



Thank you to everyone who voted this week

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
Re: Larping Mis-hap



Fragile on the kid's helmet - Incidental
Writing on the book cover - Incidental

The fact that a shirt with a slogan on it written in a speech bubble falls under the stop sign rule - Priceless

antifolkhero


quality posts: 0 Private Messages antifolkhero
Re: aMEHrica



How about we let the South float away into the abyss instead? Just because reality TV comes from California doesn't mean the entire state is bad (though I can imagine the jealously of someone living in Michigan).

wettoad


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wettoad
antifolkhero wrote:How about we let the South float away into the abyss instead? Just because reality TV comes from California doesn't mean the entire state is bad (though I can imagine the jealously of someone living in Michigan).



i like living in michigan

illuminator


quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
Re: Larping Mis-hap



Awesome! I want one already!

dsladek


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
bluchez wrote:Fragile on the kid's helmet - Incidental
Writing on the book cover - Incidental

The fact that a shirt with a slogan on it written in a speech bubble falls under the stop sign rule - Priceless



I don't think I would call it a slogan. a slogan would work on its own as text only. the text in the speech bubble would make no sense if it stood on its own.

alitaorg


quality posts: 0 Private Messages alitaorg

Woot is a for-profit company with a subset that sells shirts. Yes, their rules for rejection can be inconsistent to just plain arbitrary, but they're set so that the shirt voted most likely to be bought by the most people will be the one that's printed. Woot's not giving away $1k for the love of the art - they're selling shirts.

Instead of appealing to Joel the Rejector or to the artist, our best bet is to appeal to the voting majority's aesthetics. Because as long as shirts with birds in silhouette get votes and, more importantly, make Woot money, Woot will print 'em.

duhgonz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages duhgonz
Re: Cell Phone Emergency



i like it just cuz i own a mini dachsound and i can see him eatin my cell. the green background isn't very appealing but i'd by 1 anyway.

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
dsladek wrote:I don't think I would call it a slogan. a slogan would work on its own as text only. the text in the speech bubble would make no sense if it stood on its own.



Would the shirt make sense without the speech bubble?

FWIW, I have voted for your design because it's the best illustration near the fog. I'm just posting comments because I believe it will effect future derbies in a negative manner.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
rdyoungster wrote:This is too bad. It's really the only shirt I kinda liked this week. You know, Gary Larson drew over 4000 comics before his retirement. I just don't see that there's enough similarity to base a rejection on. It's like basing a rejection on the fact that "the Simpsons did it." Of course they did. You don't create a 20 year (or 14 year daily body of work in Larson's case) without encompassing nearly every kinda cool idea under the sun.

Just strange.



Ha, that happened to me in the Slogan derby. My slogan was "My favorite color is shiny," which is something my friend always used to say. We were both avid Simpsons fans but never heard it or anything similar said on the show, yet it was rejected for being a Simpson's reference. Meh.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

duhgonz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages duhgonz
Re: Cell Phone Emergency



oops! i mispelled daschound.........shoulda previewed it.

dsladek


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
bluchez wrote:Would the shirt make sense without the speech bubble?



I think so if the lanky character had his mouth shut.

toe2254


quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
toe2254 wrote:the flamingos and i thank you!



a couple of ideas i had last night i think might be worth pursuing..

1. a Best Losers derby

2. letting the winner of the derby pick the theme for the next derby.

what do you guys think?

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
alitaorg wrote:Woot is a for-profit company with a subset that sells shirts. Yes, their rules for rejection can be inconsistent to just plain arbitrary, but they're set so that the shirt voted most likely to be bought by the most people will be the one that's printed. Woot's not giving away $1k for the love of the art - they're selling shirts.

Instead of appealing to Joel the Rejector or to the artist, our best bet is to appeal to the voting majority's aesthetics. Because as long as shirts with birds in silhouette get votes and, more importantly, make Woot money, Woot will print 'em.



I disagree. If Woot was just out to make a profit, why would they reject shirts from with a reason that most derby regulars agree is ridiculous? Sokowa's fish design would have sold very well, and it was still rejected. If it was all about what sells well, there would be no need for Woot to include so many rules as it does. Also, they probably wouldn't have done a "Pixel" derby.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

haxrox


quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox
mjl9320 wrote:Actually all he did was skirt the issue at hand which is that his entry is a blatant ripoff of previous shirt designs- and a poorly done one at that.



I'd be happy to discuss how I thought of this without foreknowledge of the other designs. PM me and we can talk about how many people can have similar ideas, like how there apparently are a couple apocalyptic forecast designs already out there

hmmxkrazee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hmmxkrazee
dmkooo wrote:With that placement, who knows what knocked him over??



Falling out of the fog is what knocked him over. :D

Thanks for the votes. My best finish yet!

sokowa


quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
srglancey wrote:Thanks. I'm disappointed, too. Maybe next week...if there's less drama.



Ya, sorry about the drama . . . your shirt really is well done, I love the framing and it had my vote

sokowa


quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
toe2254 wrote:a couple of ideas i had last night i think might be worth pursuing..

1. a Best Losers derby

2. letting the winner of the derby pick the theme for the next derby.

what do you guys think?



hrm, interesting . . .
Or instead of the winner (which I assume would pick a theme that would help them win again) perhaps one of the fan favorites who didn't win or a lower scoring artist.

toe2254


quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
sokowa wrote:hrm, interesting . . .
Or instead of the winner (which I assume would pick a theme that would help them win again) perhaps one of the fan favorites who didn't win or a lower scoring artist.



good idea.. or possibly giving us several to choose from and the most popular one gets picked..

shortbusgus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages shortbusgus

*gasp*
LARPers!
*pulls out foam broad sword and moutain dew box armor set, including helmet*

Oh man, this design has to be one of my favorites thus far. In for many if it gets picked, I have many nerdy friends that need to be wearing this at all times!

SailorButterfly


quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
ceetee73 wrote:Thanks for clarifying. I'm still new to the whole Woot derby (about a month into it now), so I miss out on the in jokes a this point.

And at the risk of sounding even more non-hip and oblivious to the lingo around here... could someone let me know what GMV stands for? I see it in a lot of posts around here when people are leaving compliments on a design?

The Derby is awesome and my new addiction even though it's new to me and have, like, approx. 0 chance of ever winning one. Still, it's an awesome way to be challenged each week as a designer.



GMV = got my vote

I like your style. I didn't necessarily want to wear a flaming bag of something probably unpleasant on my chest, but I look forward to what you create in the future. Good luck!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

srglancey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages srglancey
sokowa wrote:Ya, sorry about the drama . . . your shirt really is well done, I love the framing and it had my vote



Oh, please don't apologize for the drama. I'm just on my pity-pot. Not that I have any right, I mean, my design wasn't rejected from the fog. I am so sorry that happened, btw. I really loved the elephant and the fish. Both had my vote.

dsladek


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
shortbusgus wrote:*gasp*
LARPers!
*pulls out foam broad sword and moutain dew box armor set, including helmet*

Oh man, this design has to be one of my favorites thus far. In for many if it gets picked, I have many nerdy friends that need to be wearing this at all times!



thats awesome. I hope it gets printed for all my nerdy friends,...and me of course.

thatrobert


quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert

thatrobert


quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert

EasyE


quality posts: 0 Private Messages EasyE

I hope this is making it into the doubletake derby. I really want this shirt

zockerwurf


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zockerwurf
Re: Me-Too Birds Flee a Pander Tree



Wow, cool! Nice style! I hope this will be printed... where can I vote for this?

SailorButterfly


quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
zockerwurf wrote:Wow, cool! Nice style! I hope this will be printed... where can I vote for this?



Voting ended at noon central today. You also have to purchase something from Woot before you can vote.

On the bright side, the shirt is in the top 4 and has a good chance of getting printed this weekend. Keep your eye out for it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

FadeToBlack


quality posts: 0 Private Messages FadeToBlack
Re: Barney Curb Stomp



I like the thought behind this, but it took me a few seconds to recognize that it was Barney... FYI, his chest patch thing isn't actually in a heart shape.

Good stuff though. If the overall art was a bit better (maybe some colors too?) I'd vote.

SailorButterfly


quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
FadeToBlack wrote:I like the thought behind this, but it took me a few seconds to recognize that it was Barney... FYI, his chest patch thing isn't actually in a heart shape.



I suspect that was done on purpose to avoid possible copyright issues. l o l

Only brentfire could say for sure, though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Re: Larping Mis-hap



You definitely deserved the fog this week (and others) ds! So glad to see it there and hoping it places!

czardha


quality posts: 0 Private Messages czardha
Re: Curious Little Turtle



I love this shirt! I'm new to shirt.woot!, can I vote on this or something to make it happen?

czardha


quality posts: 0 Private Messages czardha
Re: Larping Mis-hap



This is amazing! The art is fantastic, and having played DnD and Darkon (yes, the one with the documentary) I find this = awesome!

invisiblecrazy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages invisiblecrazy
eHalcyon wrote: If Woot was just out to make a profit, why would they reject shirts from with a reason that most derby regulars agree is ridiculous? Sokowa's fish design would have sold very well, and it was still rejected.



To answer the question of WHY:

My impression is that woot is terrified of being sued--so anything with even the *hint* of copyright, from an estate large enough to sue, has them scuttling for cover.

The Far Side® and the Larson® signature are registered trademarks of FarWorks, Inc.
Copyright © 2000, 2007 FarWorks, Inc. All Rights Reserved.


Gary Larson's The Far Side is syndicated by Creator's Syndicate, as well.

All this means there's lots of money and lawyers behind Larson's protection of copyright, and lawyers on retainer like to issue cease and desist notices and are quite willing to sue for their clients at the drop of a hat.

"The purpose of copyright law is to encourage creative work by granting a temporary monopoly in an author's original creations. This monopoly takes the form of six rights in areas where the author retains exclusive control. These rights are:

(1) the right of reproduction (i.e., copying),
(2) the right to create derivative works, (emphasis mine)
(3) the right to distribution,
(4) the right to performance,
(5) the right to display, and
(6) the digital transmission performance right."
By this definition, since sokowa's work wasn't directly parody, and looked vaguely like one of his cartoons, it could be considered derivative and therefore woot could be sued.

The rejection was based on money, plain and simple. Selling a few thousand shirts pales in comparison to the money they would risk by being sued, plus the ordeal of a lawsuit and the possibility of losing.

cf http://www.chillingeffects.org/linking/notice.cgi?NoticeID=11241
and http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/notice.cgi?NoticeID=7227

All this is my take on the issue, of course, considering the pattern of rejections, and the comments on the past rejections about the estate of so-and-so suing them.
This was my geekly post for the day.


Sarcasm makes the person who uses it look ugly.
Hyperbole makes the person who uses it look taller.