matto1985

quality posts: 0 Private Messages matto1985

Well that's disappointing. I was getting pumped to be able to buy another derby shirt after a while of garbage.

Wish this could've made it through.

shonnelizabeth

quality posts: 7 Private Messages shonnelizabeth
Re: She Never Sleeps

Excellent. Glad to see you made it back into the fog. Hopefully into at least third place too. Fingers crossed.

johnfactorial

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnfactorial

This was the only shirt I really wanted!

supersonic213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supersonic213
Re: Sakura by the cliff

Well, that's a shame. I should hope there is a very good reason for this, but my inner cynic is yelling otherwise. So much for this week then.

The guys at the new SONIC drive-in told me to have a supersonic day. And I did!

jerroul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerroul

I'm disappointed too, but print ready art has to be in by Thursday, and not having it forces woot's hands...And my wife would have looked so good in this design...

tilteed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tilteed
re: concentration

Fantastic illo. I love the color choices.

tilteed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tilteed
Re: Japanese Fighting Fish

I want this!

asjachyld

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asjachyld
Re: Sake Bomb

YES! Love the concept!

paytonardoin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paytonardoin

Why the HECK is this shirt rejected? What does "no print-ready art provided" even mean? I'm getting pretty tired of this website for sometimes rejected the most awesome shirts. I voted for this one when it was in the fog, I was going to buy it when it finished in the top three. But now you have lost a customer. Me and hundreds of other people. Did you hear that "shirt.woot.com"? You have just lost money! If you people were anywhere close to being intelligent you would have left it in the fog.

paytonardoin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paytonardoin
paytonardoin wrote:Why the HECK is this shirt rejected? What does "no print-ready art provided" even mean? I'm getting pretty tired of this website for sometimes rejected the most awesome shirts. I voted for this one when it was in the fog, I was going to buy it when it finished in the top three. But now you have lost a customer. Me and hundreds of other people. Did you hear that "shirt.woot.com"? You have just lost money! If you people were anywhere close to being intelligent you would have left it in the fog.

Actually, I can kinda understand why it was rejected. I was really ready to buy it. Oh well. It'll be a while until another derby with cool potential like this one comes around. Sorry for my rant a few minutes ago. I'm still kinda pissed about it though.

EtherealKing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EtherealKing
Re: Shouri

If this design is posted on another site, hope it's posted, so I can be sure to vote/purchase it.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

paytonardoin wrote:Why the HECK is this shirt rejected? What does "no print-ready art provided" even mean? I'm getting pretty tired of this website for sometimes rejected the most awesome shirts. I voted for this one when it was in the fog, I was going to buy it when it finished in the top three. But now you have lost a customer. Me and hundreds of other people. Did you hear that "shirt.woot.com"? You have just lost money! If you people were anywhere close to being intelligent you would have left it in the fog.

If they don't have the file to print, they can't print it. What would you like them to do exactly?

EDIT: Just saw your follow-up. Nevermind!

starartist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages starartist
Re: Cute Bento- resub

I wanted this shirt so bad! But all aside, it did really really well for the amount of climbing time it had.

RTanode

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RTanode
Re: Nihon!!!

Well, I thank the other 9 of you for voting. Ten ain't so bad for a first derby submission (I think...). Anyway, comments and constructive criticism are always welcome. So, congrats to those designers that fogged and see you all around.

Meric5947

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Meric5947

Awesome shirt!

chiakitea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chiakitea
re: she never sleeps

hooray! i'm glad to see this back in the fog and one of the contenders crossing fingers... please let it be third place or higher!! X)

supersonic213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supersonic213
paytonardoin wrote:Actually, I can kinda understand why it was rejected. I was really ready to buy it. Oh well. It'll be a while until another derby with cool potential like this one comes around. Sorry for my rant a few minutes ago. I'm still kinda pissed about it though.

If you like these kinds of shirts, you shouldn't have to wait too long for another to come around. Just be patient.

The guys at the new SONIC drive-in told me to have a supersonic day. And I did!

Shannarie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shannarie
Re: next step...Tokyo!

hey if you ever make this shirt. let me know. i will totally buy one. even if it isnt on this site. PM me if you do that. I looooove this shirt.

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
paytonardoin wrote: Did you hear that "shirt.woot.com"? You have just lost money! If you people were anywhere close to being intelligent you would have left it in the fog.

I think (and hope) that woot is willing to concede this a bit, actually. For instance:

they recently banned video game references in derbies, essentially rejecting an easy way for them to get profits.

They've rejected two frontrunning designs by kdeuce in a row.

They rejected that sekiyoku bird design from the blue derby that was probably on its way to print.

Woot's shown they're willing to be very strict with their rules, even if that means rejecting popular designs. I think that's a very good thing.

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
jmmbell1987 wrote:I think (and hope) that woot is willing to concede this a bit, actually. For instance:

they recently banned video game references in derbies, essentially rejecting an easy way for them to get profits.

They've rejected two frontrunning designs by kdeuce in a row.

They rejected that sekiyoku bird design from the blue derby that was probably on its way to print.

Woot's shown they're willing to be very strict with their rules, even if that means rejecting popular designs. I think that's a very good thing.

I like the idea that Woot will be strict with their rules as long as they are consistently strict, and fair about the way they make rejections.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

If you guys are going to be pissed at somebody it should be the artist for not providing the files Woot needs to print his shirt. Has he even posted in this thread? Is he aware of what's going on?

HalfWheat

bluetuba wrote:If you guys are going to be pissed at somebody it should be the artist for not providing the files Woot needs to print his shirt. Has he even posted in this thread? Is he aware of what's going on?

He said that he uploaded it with his original form and as far as he knew, it went through without a hitch.

rinoa1025

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rinoa1025

Man... for the first time I was going to buy more than 1 shirt too. =[

anniem2975

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anniem2975
Re: Sushi Loving Owls

My daughter would love this shirt. Owls & Sushi are her 2 favorite things. I'm sooo serious.

anniem2975

My daughter would love this. To Cute to eat!

anniem2975

Re: Neko Chan the Lucky Cat

This would go perfect with my daughters Lucky Japanese Kitty earrings. Adorable

weirddave

quality posts: 4 Private Messages weirddave

*sigh* I was hoping for a better turnout. The sadako shirt is the only one I'll buy. The rest of the shirts in the fog, well, as a person who speaks some Japanese, I wouldn't be able to wear them. It's too bad since I might have gone for the dragon one if the kanji made sense or the fish one if the kanji wasn't... umm... I think a Japanese person would think it ugly. It looks like it was written by a child. Well, the spork shirt isn't wrong, but I wonder if I can imagine a Japanese person talking like that? It seems too proper for a shirt, but I also don't think it is a google translation, so I don't know what's up there.

I don't mean to rag on these shirts to be mean, but wearing some of these shirts is the same as when you see japanese people wearing really embarrassing shirts written in english.

HalfWheat

weirddave wrote:*sigh* I was hoping for a better turnout. The sadako shirt is the only one I'll buy. The rest of the shirts in the fog, well, as a person who speaks some Japanese, I wouldn't be able to wear them. It's too bad since I might have gone for the dragon one if the kanji made sense or the fish one if the kanji wasn't... umm... I think a Japanese person would think it ugly. It looks like it was written by a child. Well, the spork shirt isn't wrong, but I wonder if I can imagine a Japanese person talking like that? It seems too proper for a shirt, but I also don't think it is a google translation, so I don't know what's up there.

I don't mean to rag on these shirts to be mean, but wearing some of these shirts is the same as when you see japanese people wearing really embarrassing shirts written in english.

Woot said they'd allow changes to the text to correct things, but that doesn't mean it would get changed to something you like. It might be worth a look, though.

cLUrun

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cLUrun
BlindShooter wrote:Not that I know of but if anyone has suggestions I could set something up

If this was printed, I know a lot of people who would get it.

neonix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neonix
owlishness wrote:I would upvote this except for the "dragon" kanji. Being Chinese, I don't find it cool in the slightest. The illustration itself is quite nice, but would you wear it if it said DRAGON in giant letters where it now says 龍? Before using foreign characters as stylistic elements, try replacing them with English in your head and consider if it looks ridiculous or not.

Great design otherwise though.

I would wear it if it said DRAGON in place of the kanji.

It's a shame everyone was so critical of such a nice design. Was the umbrella's perspective really a selling point for people, or were you all just pointing it out to beat a dead horse? Let's just pretend it's vaguely Picasso-inspired and move on!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
HalfWheat wrote:I like the idea that Woot will be strict with their rules as long as they are consistently strict, and fair about the way they make rejections.

And they did say, a couple derbies ago, that going forward entries without printreadies by X time would be rejected.

Given Drakxxx's fog time (under an hour) it seems they were VEEERY generous.

I hope this continues for all derbies, though. And I hope it continues to infuriate the people who need to get a little fury in their diet after the hundred odd derbies their sense of mediocrity has run rampant. Woot is not about selling your shirt. It is about selling a shirt every day. Preferably a good one.

As the Rolling Stones said in the 60s, you can't always get what you want. And if you try sometimes, they do not postulate that you might find that whining like a baby helps. They postulate that you'll get what you need.

neonix

AdderXYU wrote:The piece in bold is where you should really reconsider.

It still is basically a mash-up of his own Open Sea and whatever his Two Dragons piece was called. But more importantly, in the grand scheme of things, you are voting for something knowing something else very similar is out there. It's as if there's no respect for the fact that real designers are putting real effort into real pieces, and real money is at stake.

And simply put, that's one more reason the derby is broken... people who don't care that their selfish decisions effect real people putting forth real effort

He should reconsider because you feel differently about it? It doesn't matter what is put out, or how many times a design is regurgitated
and/or reworked because voters will vote on what they want to wear (not what you think deserves to get printed). This is how a voting system works. By your logic, everything has to be displayed in its final form on the first exposition, even if the artist is not fully satisfied, leaving no room for improvement and no possibility of evolution. A *LOT* of great things are simply improvements or reworks of something that was already existent.

An artist's mind and views, just like any other human (and arguably all thinking beings) are constantly evolving within itself. What the artists thought was a perfect piece one day, might look to need improvement the next day, and he or she might fix it.

For example with this piece, you are saying he should not have submitted it because it "is basically a mash-up" of two previous works. An artist may never display a work, but still work off of it in a later piece that will get shown to the public.
So, if he had never submitted the first two works, you would not have known he was re-using anything. The people who like this design will like it regardless of whether he had submitted the two original works or not, and they will vote if they want it on a shirt.

Saying that his glowing dragon style is a bad thing because it is being re-used is an awful statement. Are you going to tell me that Picasso's work was bad because he kept the same style? Or that Mozart's music was terrible because he composed more than one on the same instrument??

So if you have enough mind capacity to read this wall of text and comprehend it (given I jumped around, trying to organize it while typing out my stream of consciousness), there should be some potential that you will realize that re-using an idea, element, or style in any artistic work is perfectly fine, and has been done trillions of times. But I've known for long enough that it's nearly impossible to change people who are so deep-seated into a mindset, and that you certainly are. I really doubt that if you read this, you will change your thoughts in even the slightest way, but I typed this mostly for my own satisfaction of getting some good logic out there in rebuttal to poor logic.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
neonix wrote:He should reconsider because you feel differently about it? It doesn't matter what is put out, or how many times a design is regurgitated
and/or reworked because voters will vote on what they want to wear (not what you think deserves to get printed). This is how a voting system works. By your logic, everything has to be displayed in its final form on the first exposition, even if the artist is not fully satisfied, leaving no room for improvement and no possibility of evolution. A *LOT* of great things are simply improvements or reworks of something that was already existent.

An artist's mind and views, just like any other human (and arguably all thinking beings) are constantly evolving within itself. What the artists thought was a perfect piece one day, might look to need improvement the next day, and he or she might fix it.

For example with this piece, you are saying he should not have submitted it because it "is basically a mash-up" of two previous works. An artist may never display a work, but still work off of it in a later piece that will get shown to the public.
So, if he had never submitted the first two works, you would not have known he was re-using anything. The people who like this design will like it regardless of whether he had submitted the two original works or not, and they will vote if they want it on a shirt.

Saying that his glowing dragon style is a bad thing because it is being re-used is an awful statement. Are you going to tell me that Picasso's work was bad because he kept the same style? Or that Mozart's music was terrible because he composed more than one on the same instrument??

So if you have enough mind capacity to read this wall of text and comprehend it (given I jumped around, trying to organize it while typing out my stream of consciousness), there should be some potential that you will realize that re-using an idea, element, or style in any artistic work is perfectly fine, and has been done trillions of times. But I've known for long enough that it's nearly impossible to change people who are so deep-seated into a mindset, and that you certainly are. I really doubt that if you read this, you will change your thoughts in even the slightest way, but I typed this mostly for my own satisfaction of getting some good logic out there in rebuttal to poor logic.

You talk a lot and say little.

LOL YOU COULD SAY THE SAME FOR YOU ADDER

No, but really, Picasso had a style. Ramy just draws from a "how to draw manga" book. It's textbook and dull. It's not his.

Some people reuse elements. Ramy doesn't do anything original. So it's a bit less forgivable than the occasional reworking.

an artist's mind is constantly evolving. which says a lot for how unmoving this guy's overall conceptualization and execution remains.

An instrument. A style. These are all vehicles that carry different things. If you have 100 different cars, you can get 100 different people out of them. But if you have two people driving 100 cars, eventually you're like "oh. Hey. it's the same guy again." Artists use devices as vehicles for new work. What I see here, and weekly, is someone shoving the same exact freight into a different truck and expecting us to go SURPRISE!

neonix

AdderXYU wrote:You talk a lot and say little.

LOL YOU COULD SAY THE SAME FOR YOU ADDER

No, but really, Picasso had a style. Ramy just draws from a "how to draw manga" book. It's textbook and dull. It's not his.

Some people reuse elements. Ramy doesn't do anything original. So it's a bit less forgivable than the occasional reworking.

an artist's mind is constantly evolving. which says a lot for how unmoving this guy's overall conceptualization and execution remains.

An instrument. A style. These are all vehicles that carry different things. If you have 100 different cars, you can get 100 different people out of them. But if you have two people driving 100 cars, eventually you're like "oh. Hey. it's the same guy again." Artists use devices as vehicles for new work. What I see here, and weekly, is someone shoving the same exact freight into a different truck and expecting us to go SURPRISE!

Fair enough. But there isn't much you can do to oppose a democracy, which is what the Derby is for the most part.

littlesandusky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages littlesandusky
kaseyfleming wrote:thanks! i will for sure let you know. and thanks to everybody else that enjoyed the design you guys are awesome!!!

This is a great shirt. I'm in for at least two if you publish elsewhere. Nice work! Let us know.

Tim J Wilhelm

Stexe

quality posts: 21 Private Messages Stexe

Drakxxx always does the best creepy girl artwork and doesn't fail again. Unfortuantly, it's on the same color shirt he always seems to use (I guess it is the closest to blood red), but still I could see myself wearing it... if it tied with another shirt and was only $5. If that's the case you can bet I'll buy it!

dague1985

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dague1985

I really want this shirt!
It is very cute!

runninblue411

quality posts: 0 Private Messages runninblue411

Man, that really leaps into the vacuum. I've been looking forward to buying this shirt all week.

soldoutd - please let us know if this prints elsewhere.

eddysplace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eddysplace
re: the samurai and the sea dragon

The shirt is awsome. It should win the derby.I voted for it and I will buy it if is a winner.
Great design!!!!

edlo78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edlo78
superspryte wrote:Kanji verification: 侍海龍

侍: samurai
海: ocean
龍: Chinese-type dragon

侍海龍: No meaning. There is no known compound 海龍. Supposing that is ignored, to say "samurai and ocean dragon" it would need to say 侍と海龍.

Just want to point out something

Kanji are Chinese character use in the Japanese writing. Most of the times they have the same meaning but sometimes they have secondary meaning

海 = usually describe sea like red sea, south china sea.
洋 or 海洋 = is use to describe ocean like Atlantic ocean or Pacific Ocean. But when just describing large body of water, 海 and 洋 are interchangeable in most cases.
龍 = any type of dragon Chinese, western, even dinosaur (恐龍).

海龍 is a valid compound. Translate more into sea dragon and very commonly use in stories.

侍海龍 is not a valid compound.

Just keep in mind when you translate between different language, it is not always one character to one word.