Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: Paranoid

I can imagine all the happy parents should this show up in a random for their kids...

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Mysterious Leader

Lovely combination of fun and sinister. ^__^

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
taternuggets wrote:Thanks for all the nice comments.

This sucks.
(My work here is done)

move along

buriedwreckage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buriedwreckage
Re: Free Space

How true, how true. I lol'd.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: What you always suspected

Thanks everyone!

@justynadorsz - yes! Yours is very cute =)

@omar - thanks so much!

@jessarisky - Glad you like it! I've noticed from my former prints that the designs are usually larger than I have them in the comp (I almost overcompensate for that making it on the smaller side)... so if it prints, you have a pretty good chance it will be a tad (or more!) bigger;)

Vote!

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
j5 wrote:This sucks.
(My work here is done)

D:

Nothing follows.

spikeani

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spikeani
Re: Squirrell security

I haven't been on this site long. But I have to say this a contest going on right now. I seems everyone brought their a-game. Thanks for the votes and good luck everyone.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: NormalMan

I'm not sure how on topic this might be, but either way, that's not a shirt color woot offers.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

neondogs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neondogs

I LOVE THIS!! I'm glad to see someone else knows of this. I will pass this on to my original gamer geeks who played Paranoia, well, if they have any clones left, and have clearance, and oh wait, I've said to much. I'll just report to the nearest termination center now. All hail the computer.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Re: Super Airport Security

Wow man really? I get the joke and the fact the TSA is more interested in shoes then some real threats, but a joke about a lit bomb getting on a plane is not cool, and I say this as someone who respects you.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit
artguyaaron wrote:this is pretty great

Thanks! It was fun to make. I even added a suicidal Crow if you look carefully! Join us, won't you..

shatterstar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shatterstar
tjost wrote:Wow man really? I get the joke and the fact the TSA is more interested in shoes then some real threats, but a joke about a lit bomb getting on a plane is not cool, and I say this as someone who respects you.

It's a ba-bomb. And given the use of so many characters from the mario universe, there's no way any thinking being could misconstrue this to be more than what it is.

I'd double + vote it if I could, great stuff both in cleverness and artistic quality.

tjost

shatterstar wrote:It's a ba-bomb. And given the use of so many characters from the mario universe, there's no way any thinking being could misconstrue this to be more than what it is.

I'd double + vote it if I could, great stuff both in cleverness and artistic quality.

I know what it is I grew up in the 80's and it's called a Bob-omb. I also get the joke like I said, however the joke is in poor taste. I respect Collin as a fellow artist here very much, but sometimes what seems like a great idea to an artist at the time is not so much of one in application (I've been there).

The fact of the matter is that there are many who don't know what's going on here other then a lit bomb is about to enter a plane. Jokes about bombs on planes are not cool in any sense and if you want to argue that then I pity you. Collin please remove this piece.

(PS Shatter, try to wear something like this boarding a plane and see how funny both you and the TSA think it is)

bjmantis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bjmantis

Guys... DON'T buy this for your girlfriend!

Re: Control

goliath72

quality posts: 2 Private Messages goliath72

SO GOOD lol

Re: Ninja Surveillance

thurmanite

quality posts: 4 Private Messages thurmanite
tjost wrote:The fact of the matter is that there are many who don't know what's going on here other then a lit bomb is about to enter a plane. Jokes about bombs on planes are not cool in any sense and if you want to argue that then I pity you. Collin please remove this piece.

Count me in for your pity.

Joking about the obvious ineffectiveness of our security is funny.

The man who designed a shirt mocking addiction and/or eating disorders with a children's character shouldn't be judging others quite so harshly. (PS, I like The Binge as well.)

ETA- I'm Thumperchick, btw - accidentally posted this from my husband's account.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

nimrond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nimrond

So you think this joke isn't tasteful, you pity everyone who thinks otherwise and you demand it to be removed? Is this supposed to be an Orwellian joke-in-a-joke or something? Is the TSA watching us? Or do you see the SAS in the title?

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

This is hilarious. I love the Hammer Bros Turtle.

Didn't even realize the bomb/shoe joke.

But that's funny too as long as you don't wear the shirt at an airport.

tjost

thurmanite wrote:
Joking about the obvious ineffectiveness of our security is funny.

That's the thing too the TSA is different from the NSA and wasn't even involved with PRISM. This shirt is only vaguely on topic to begin with. A security screening at an airport that you consent to is different then all of your internet posts, phone calls and various other communications being tracked without your consent versus passing through a known yet flawed security screening (I don't know about you but even as flawed as it is I'm ok with going through it because to have no gate keepers ((ha ha)) in place would be to invite untold disaster)

thurmanite wrote:
The man who designed a shirt mocking addiction and/or eating disorders with a children's character shouldn't be judging others quite so harshly. (PS, I like The Binge as well.)

Again the Binge and this have little to no correlation. The Binge is a statement of human behavior and impulse control juxtaposed against a fond childhood memory. This shirt is putting a fond childhood memory with an active terrorist attack against a passenger loaded plane. How is a lit bomb on a plane funny in this day and age. I'm all for poking fun at various things and have made a living at creating parody that makes people smile and or think but some things should not be made light of. Picture what the consequences of this shirt are after the Bob-omb explodes on the plane, would that make a funny shirt showing the carnage of a bomb attack against innocent civilians, and if not why is it hilarious to show the steps leading up to that point. It would be like making a design of Mickey Mouse walking away from a bomb loaded backpack in Boston while doing a Steam Boat Willie whistle to look inconspicuous. There's some that would think that would be hilarious, I however am not one of them (and to be clear I used to watch Wyle Coyote explode himself to my amusement often when I was a kid but this is a different time and age). I can't tell anyone to do anything or force them to change their own personal views but I can express my distaste for the subject manner of this shirt. (Not distaste for the artist though)

I'm positive Collin wasn't thinking of the negative connotations this design holds or how I and many others would have serious concerns about this design. He assuredly meant it as something lighthearted, but sometimes there are unintended consequences to things we do even with the best of intentions. That's my thoughts on the matter others will have their own, but I stand by that in this day and age even with using cartoon characters as proxies exploding objects on a passenger plane is not something to be made light of.

BTW Thumper I don't mean to attack you or Collin so i hope it doesn't come off that way. Thanks for liking the Binge too

The irony is that because of projects like PRISM I've probably pinged myself with all types of warning lights on their system talking about planes and Bob-ombs :S

tjost

nimrond wrote:So you think this joke isn't tasteful, you pity everyone who thinks otherwise

Please read my above post. I pity any who have become so desensitized to the value of human life and the current events in the world to mock a terrorist action against innocent civilians. If you think blowing up people is funny then yes I do pity you.

There was a design on Woot a couple months ago by a talented regular contributor that does not live in the US that mocked the K K K's treatment of black people by using cartoonish Star Wars characters. That was in poor taste but it was not meant that way by the designer who was looking at it from a different cultural perspective. I and others urged him that it would be a good idea to remove it based on context and he did voluntarily after realising his faux pas.

Another example of this would be people like Anonymous and other anti establishment groups who use Guy Fawkes masks as a icon for revolution againt "The Man" when Faux was a violent Catholic religious terrorist that wanted to cause wanton destruction to punish the British Government for it's oppression against Catholics. (Does this sound familiar anyone) The extra irony is that the masks they use are owned by Warner Brothers who purchased the rights for V is for Vendetta and the mask likeness, so by using them they are supporting "The Man". Not researching something has made them look silly and is counter to what their intent may be.

nimrond wrote: you demand it to be removed?

No I don't but I urge a fellow respected artist to think about taking action by himself in light of the potential community backlash.

nimrond wrote:Is this supposed to be an Orwellian joke-in-a-joke or something? Is the TSA watching us? Or do you see the SAS in the title?

No joke. Parody is great, poking light at issues that need to be changed is good, but this shirt is not the medium or message to do what the artist intended to do with it. Some jokes can never be in good taste.

sthompson238

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sthompson238

Oh my god, that comment made my day! You literally just got me to laugh out loud. It's so great to find someone else who knows about Paranoia and who actually understands the reference, unlike most people. Oh well, maybe I'll just take a few happy pills...

majoricehole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages majoricehole
Re: Eggwellian Society

The shaved heads looking out at the screen. I always thought they were eggs.

spikeani

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spikeani
goliath72 wrote:SO GOOD lol

Thanks to be honest kinda surprised by the votes. Especially since I did this 3:30 am with no sleep that day. Thanks everyone great contest.

garystargazer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garystargazer
Re: What you always suspected

I don't get this shirt and why it's in the top listings right now. I'm not hating on it, I just don't understand the design. Is it based off something I'm missing?

rainabelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rainabelle
garystargazer wrote:I don't get this shirt and why it's in the top listings right now. I'm not hating on it, I just don't understand the design. Is it based off something I'm missing?

You obviously don't have a cat. : )

flamestamp13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flamestamp13
Re: Snooperman

This is in collaboration with shagooztribe, who should be getting much more love for http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/72143/dumped than he is.

eclectus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eclectus
Re: Start A Revolution

I'd add "and vote" We're talkin' zen here...

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: The Forest Is Watching You

Best in this derby. Nice design.

eclectus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eclectus
tjost wrote:I know what it is I grew up in the 80's and it's called a Bob-omb. I also get the joke like I said, however the joke is in poor taste. I respect Collin as a fellow artist here very much, but sometimes what seems like a great idea to an artist at the time is not so much of one in application (I've been there).

The fact of the matter is that there are many who don't know what's going on here other then a lit bomb is about to enter a plane. Jokes about bombs on planes are not cool in any sense and if you want to argue that then I pity you. Collin please remove this piece.

(PS Shatter, try to wear something like this boarding a plane and see how funny both you and the TSA think it is)

OK, let me explain how this actually works; the bigger and more abreactive any government or communal program is, the more likely it will be/become nonsense in practice. Almost always, satire and ridicule are the only effective way of educating the public and demanding sanity and even-handedness.

river0040

quality posts: 0 Private Messages river0040
eclectus wrote:I'd add "and vote" We're talkin' zen here...

Right on!

halloweenscreamqueen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages halloweenscreamqueen

Must have one!!

tjost

eclectus wrote:OK, let me explain how this actually works; the bigger and more abreactive any government or communal program is, the more likely it will be/become nonsense in practice. Almost always, satire and ridicule are the only effective way of educating the public and demanding sanity and even-handedness.

I understand, however there a million other ways to poke fun at the TSA then by showing a lit bomb getting on a plane.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

I fail to see how this would be any more or less offensive than Threat Level: Doctorow and that is to say, not offensive at all (unless you work for TSA).

+1

tjost

tjschaeffer wrote:I fail to see how this would be any more or less offensive than Threat Level: Doctorow and that is to say, not offensive at all (unless you work for TSA).

+1

That shirt is mocking public response to perceived threats in an intentionally over blown way. Wanting us to panic at any and all possibilities of threat (it's also funny). This shirt shows a lit bomb about to enter a plane. I think there's a little difference there. Again too I see the joke on Collin's shirt and we wouldn't have been having this conversation if he had substituted almost any other marioverse character, or even an unlit Bob-omb for that manner. This is not showing a perceived threat, it is showing a clear and present danger.

mverc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mverc

Why do you assume they are entering a plane? I hear security at Princess Peach's castle is pretty tight.

+1

(I do see that it says terminal, but my question still stands)

aggiejd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aggiejd
Re: 2+2=5

This one is actually really cool. Props.

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
writermist wrote:Yeah I know.... it's very grim and serious but lets face it... that Orwellian phrase is correct and I'm pretty sure we are all sick of war.

please critique... I don't know how to improve it or if it's fine the way it is.

I'm not the best one to provide critique probably, not having actually printed in a derby yet. Though in order to improve myself I studied the comps and designs used by other artists that are popular and adjust my entries, but still keep true to my own style.

Keep your shirts easy to read so as to quickly get the message through (I fail at this alot).

There are certain shirt colors that are favorites, usually the neutrals and darks.

Above all else, remember: voters will vote for whatever tickles their fancy that week, I've been submitting for about a year and a half and have only fogged three times and had one daily print, you just have to keep at it.

Hope this helps!

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates
halloweenscreamqueen wrote:Must have one!!

Thanks! I wasn't sure how well received it would be... Heck, I don't even know how many people would even get the joke...

dyip32

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dyip32
Re: Believe what I spray

Oof! :P
Coming from UC Davis, this stings a little.
No pun intended ;)

kateofdoom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kateofdoom
Re: They Know!

We just watched that on TV!

+1