lonelypond

quality posts: 667 Private Messages lonelypond
Re: Poseidon

Excellent

simic

quality posts: 15 Private Messages simic
Inatangle wrote:Wow! I wish this one had a little more blue tone to it, but I still like it! Incredible designing! You can tell that a lot of work went into this!

I made a blue-er version just to test it out, but it didn't have the same sea water feel to it. Also, when it prints on the navy shirt, it will probably have more of a blue tone to it.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 16 Private Messages benjaminleebates

Hey woot staff!
Are gifs still banned even as thumbs for the gitd shirts?
Its just that it's hard to show an accurate depiction with a one image thumbnail when the shirt is two different images based on lighting...

Narfcake

quality posts: 384 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

benjaminleebates wrote:Hey woot staff!
Are gifs still banned even as thumbs for the gitd shirts?
Its just that it's hard to show an accurate depiction with a one image thumbnail when the shirt is two different images based on lighting...

I'm not staff, but I wouldn't tempt the rejectionator. Post a .gif in a reply instead. A split image for the thumbnail was acceptable.

Here's a link to derby #295.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and premium options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

tazfreeatlast

quality posts: 21 Private Messages tazfreeatlast
Re: I am Nessie

I'm not sure this one would be appropriate if a female were to wear it.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 283 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Moby Cheep (v2)

Improved version: I perked up my colors and added more shading to help it pop on the shirt.

Might be more HM friendly now although your votes are still gratefully received. :^)

Your pal,
-Spiritgreen

rglee129

quality posts: 30 Private Messages rglee129
Re: Whalin' Smithers

Ha ha! Nice work! GMV

cdrewlow

quality posts: 17 Private Messages cdrewlow
Re: Dead Mermen

Thanks, guys! I'm glad someone digs it.

mcobutte

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mcobutte
Re: Cat-O-Puss

I think we need a bigger boat

artguyaaron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages artguyaaron

Pygzilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pygzilla
Re: Dark Depths

Well done, Nice to see a not C(h)utsy Cthulhu.

ColtsMere

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ColtsMere
Inatangle wrote:This is beautiful! I hope it prints!

Thanks! I keep crawling up the stats week after week, but just can't seem to find the magic design. I appreciate your kind words!

ColtsMere

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ColtsMere
tazfreeatlast wrote:I'm not sure this one would be appropriate if a female were to wear it.

HAHA! I and my son's had a laugh over the same idea! They were shocked that their *Mom* would say such a thing! LOVE shocking my teens! heheheheh!

marceepauff

quality posts: 23 Private Messages marceepauff

marceepauff

Re: Hugs

Why is she naked?

marceepauff

Re: Beware the Red Dot

Very well done.

transformingegg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages transformingegg
ColtsMere wrote:HAHA! I and my son's had a laugh over the same idea! They were shocked that their *Mom* would say such a thing! LOVE shocking my teens! heheheheh!

Happy to be of service ... actually ... *reality strikes*... Once again I didn't give it enough forethought. Ah well. Live and Learn.

transformingegg

marceepauff wrote:Very well done.

Thanks marceepauff!

cdrewlow

Re: Terror of the Tub

Very cool!

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
Inatangle wrote:This is really fun... beautiful too! The small thumbnail does NOT do this one justice! gmv

I never was any good at making the thumbnail. :p

Thanks you guys!

caseyness

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caseyness
cdrewlow wrote:Very cool!

Thanks a lot!

cdrewlow

Spiritgreen wrote:Cheep Cheep ahoy!

I went with more vintage, muted colors with this design to keep the big splash of white whale wearable. Hope you dig it!

-Spiritgreen

I love the muted colors!

Jennzilla

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Jennzilla
Inatangle wrote:Ooooh......... This is super! I can just hear Ursula's deep maniacal laugh when I look at this! gmv!

Thank you so much! I had fun drawing her gnarly yet manicured nails.

growgreen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages growgreen
Re: Where The Ocean Floor Ends

To start some lively discussion...
Where is the line between parody and copyright?

growgreen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages growgreen
Re: No Talkie Before Coffee

Where is the line between copyright and parody? I don't think it is here...

hmmmm

swamprock76

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swamprock76

I NEED THIS!!! How do I get one?!?

Re: NANANANANANANANANARWHAL!

ochopika

quality posts: 31 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

growgreen wrote:To start some lively discussion...
Where is the line between parody and copyright?

This is parody because it doesn't use clear depictions of copyrighted characters. It's a complete re-imagining of an existing motif (The Sidewalk Ends book cover) Yea it's the same style and the characters are in the same positions but that's really where the similarities end. Different characters, different meaning all together.

ochopika

quality posts: 31 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

growgreen wrote:Where is the line between copyright and parody? I don't think it is here...

hmmmm

This is not enough parody for me to feel comfortable printing on our site. It uses an exact depiction of a copyrighted character that could even be traced from the actual IP. Though the character may not usually have coffee in the original IP, the other similarities make it not different enough from the copyrighted material.

greeneking

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greeneking
Re: Hugs

HAHAHAAAAAAA oh I need this!!

nikdragon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nikdragon

Once again another super adorable masterpiece :3

Re: Beware The Octopuss

onepeacegoddess

quality posts: 0 Private Messages onepeacegoddess

coffee!

MissyCorey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MissyCorey
ochopika wrote:This is not enough parody for me to feel comfortable printing on our site. It uses an exact depiction of a copyrighted character that could even be traced from the actual IP. Though the character may not usually have coffee in the original IP, the other similarities make it not different enough from the copyrighted material.

Not traced but that is the image I referenced. I thought it would count as parody being a mashup of a character and a meme, I'll be sure not to make that mistake again in the future!

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thatquietgir1
Re: Deep Sea Hobby

This is great

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thatquietgir1

transformingegg

swamprock76 wrote:I NEED THIS!!! How do I get one?!?

Voting and waiting is just about it at this stage I hope it gets a print, but we will have to wait and see.

fablefire

quality posts: 37 Private Messages fablefire
Re: Beware The Octopuss

Thanks everyone! :D

spikeani

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spikeani
Re: Land Shark Candy Gram

Cool nice to know there are at least 14 old timers on here.

transformingegg

Re: Turf War

Nice Design! I like it!

Well done on staying within the color limit also.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 16 Private Messages benjaminleebates
Re: CuddleFish

People do not put much effort into critiquing each others work any more.
If it is a good design, then the "attaboy" would be fine. But if you do not follow the rules, then someone should say something. Not to make you feel bad but to help you get better... If you really do want to get better!?
Do not use textures snagged from the web and photoshopped into the drawing.
The rules are still 6 color and your own work, unless otherwise noted.
If I am incorrect on this, please feel free to chime in; oh woot gods!
People once spent much time debating the validity of every design, even if it only had one vote. It wasn't the position of the shirt in the contest that made it a target, but the attitude of the designer. If the designer appreciated the feed back and listened to the criticism, then they would excel. If they made excuses for their mistake and tried to justify it, then they would often become marginalized. This did not always negatively affect the votes for that artist, but it did shine a light on the anomaly.
Cheers!

Inatangle

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Inatangle
benjaminleebates wrote:People do not put much effort into critiquing each others work any more.
If it is a good design, then the "attaboy" would be fine. But if you do not follow the rules, then someone should say something. Not to make you feel bad but to help you get better... If you really do want to get better!?
Do not use textures snagged from the web and photoshopped into the drawing.
The rules are still 6 color and your own work, unless otherwise noted.
If I am incorrect on this, please feel free to chime in; oh woot gods!
People once spent much time debating the validity of every design, even if it only had one vote. It wasn't the position of the shirt in the contest that made it a target, but the attitude of the designer. If the designer appreciated the feed back and listened to the criticism, then they would excel. If they made excuses for their mistake and tried to justify it, then they would often become marginalized. This did not always negatively affect the votes for that artist, but it did shine a light on the anomaly.
Cheers!

Re: CuddleFish

Oh darn... I love this design!

I'm not a shirt designer, just an admirer of the fantastic designing and hard work that shirt designers put into these derbies. I learn things from comments like this one even though I'm not a shirt artist.

I just popped in here to vouch for Coltsmere. I have little doubt that she does want to improve and will accept what you have said and learn from it. I also believe that she'll start getting prints eventually. A newbie with a lot of promise, imo.

(PS. Coltsmere, if you are not a "she" please correct me. It was only during this Derby that I read a comment that tipped me off that you are probably a she.)