Pheline

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pheline
Re: Lolcat strikes again!

I cantz beleev teh intersexton of that wuz teh funneh cat peeple & wooots hoomins iz smalls.

(yeah, I don't do lolcatspeak, or babytalk to/for my pets....)

Pheline

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pheline
Re: Lolcat strikes again!

I cantz beleev teh intersexton of that wuz teh funneh cat peeple & wooots hoomins iz smalls.

(yeah, I don't do lolcatspeak, or babytalk to/for my pets....)

DmnLink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DmnLink
Re: Less Than Three?

Love it!!!!! Please make this shirt!!!!

BatCountry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BatCountry
Re: Nevermore

My favorite out of the 4. The Pie one is cool, but Im more of a darker person so this is great! Very creative. Excellent job by the artist!

0 quality posts and proud of it.

thlayli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thlayli
SamoaJoe wrote:This concept has been done before ...

I just wanted to put in my thoughts on this confusion as a former linguistics student.

There are two puns on the word "Pi" taking place.

This submission is a play on the homonym, "Pi" and "pie." The design is in the shape of a pie, but is made up of the digits of Pi. Clever. Cherry too.

The link provided shows a play on the phrase "apple pie." Therefore, the design appears to be a Pi symbol carved out of an apple. An apple pi. Equally clever.

They are related only by theme and by the word pie. An apple pie and a pie carved out of an apple would not be the same concept, right? Q.E.D.

kathiag96

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kathiag96
Re: Encore!

If you sold this t-shirt somewhere I'd totally buy it - I'm so sad it's not in the FOG...

redghia69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redghia69
superspryte wrote:What program did you use for the 3d? My initial thought is 3d studio max but I really have no idea.

Yes, 3DS Max v1.1, meaning I've missed 10 years of upgrades....

For anyone interested, there's a free program at blender.org that is well beyond this older version of Max. Look up "blender movies" or something like that at YouTube, or see image samples at blender.org. It's very cool, but with a steep learning curve, which is why I stuck with max for just messing around with this.

clwoodman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clwoodman

I love it, i would totally buy 3

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: Quoth the sparrow

This is crazy funny!
-Andy

twyphoon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twyphoon
Re: Them's Fightin' Words Resub

this is actually a crazy shirt... im gonna vote for this and the black one. i started boxing, and this would be a rediculous shirt to have. id DEFINATELY buy one

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
redghia69 wrote:Yes, 3DS Max v1.1, meaning I've missed 10 years of upgrades....

For anyone interested, there's a free program at blender.org that is well beyond this older version of Max. Look up "blender movies" or something like that at YouTube, or see image samples at blender.org. It's very cool, but with a steep learning curve, which is why I stuck with max for just messing around with this.

I downloaded the program from blender.org and while it looks like you can create some awesome stuff, It looks very hard to use. I may work with it this weekend.
I love your 3d snake by the way.
-Andy

wizzle21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wizzle21

SICK! No doubt, I would be forced to buy this shirt if I'm able to. I love everything about it

bioport

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bioport

this shirt is way better than any of the ones in the fog. I think the majority of the people on this site must be infatuated or something, the winning shirts are usually terrible.

redghia69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redghia69
Andy47240 wrote:I downloaded the program from blender.org and while it looks like you can create some awesome stuff, It looks very hard to use. I may work with it this weekend.
I love your 3d snake by the way.
-Andy

Thanks. Yes, not exactly easy, but there area tutorials: google "blender tutorial" for a bunch of links. The first of the noob-to-pro tutorieals is very step-by-step and a good place to start. Unfortunately, that's about all I've had time to look at, so can't claim any expertise with the program.

Endreo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Endreo

so awesome, dare I say... too awesome?

bbielesch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bbielesch

this shirt pwns.

gawl13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gawl13
Re: Norwegian Blue Pining for the Fjords

How Can I get my hands on 1 of these?!?!?!?!?!?!?
I LOVE MONTY PYTHON!

Zenverse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zenverse

Sorry, but I think the other raven is more creative.

soyokazefuhen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soyokazefuhen

bleh

thequotient

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thequotient
surflunesta wrote:Wow....this really deserved to be #1. Fantastic run though. PLEASE let me know if you get this printed elsewhere in the future.

Me too.

mosesallen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mosesallen
Re: Gettysburg Address

WOOT WOOT! Thank you everyone for voting for Abe. I really wanted one of these shirts, and now I have one on its way to me! Thanks!

parcequilfaut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages parcequilfaut

I'd buy it.

alphanode

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alphanode

Great shirt. This may be my first .shirt woot (assuming it's not given the ol' irish elbow in to fourth)

Only complaint is it doesn't have the line "quoth the raven... nevermore." Comeone, that's the most famous lie I would say.

Other than that... great!

kalmakazee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kalmakazee
graab wrote:Rubber Duckie You're the One!

How do we vote on a shirt that we like? Can we vote on a shirt we like?

kalmakazee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kalmakazee
Re: Bath Time!

How do we vote on a shirt that we like? Can we vote on a shirt we like?

reader25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reader25

How do I get one? I live in Central time zone and by the time 7AM can they were all gone. Love the shirt.

Reader25

ShaggyTx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShaggyTx
Re: Meow?

Love it!

andrewcyoung

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewcyoung
Re: WAORCAIDNVUTAZMTWYCONMNDSDNEKSOK (resub)

wow this is great! i didn't see this shirt before; would have voted for it. it should have won

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
reader25 wrote:How do I get one? I live in Central time zone and by the time 7AM can they were all gone. Love the shirt.

You either have to stay up late (shirts go on sale at midnight) or pay $15 for it the next day. this site has links to shirts still available, which woot doesn't do a good job of making easy to find

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

mjl9320

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjl9320
Re: Pie Of Pi's

Week after week, you put out excellent designs that appeal only to a small subgroup of the voters. This shirt screams "hey look, I'm a huge dork!", and most people aren't going to vote for that. I voted for it because I didn't like either of the other 3 fog shirts and thought this one deserved to win, but I wouldn't have bought it. While you have superior artistic skills, appealing only to the math nerd subgroup of shirt.woot voters isn't enough to win a derby.

mjl9320

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjl9320

also, aesthetically it bothers me that the missing slice is clearly not centered on the pie.

hmglass

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hmglass
alphanode wrote:Only complaint is it doesn't have the line "quoth the raven... nevermore." Comeone, that's the most famous lie I would say.

Other than that... great!

that's what makes it slightly less passe. besides, the other one is NOT more original... look inside any angsty goth 17 year old's notebook and you'll see that exact design.

Don't get me wrong, the Poe loving angster in my is going to buy both *and i'm pissed the sparrow didn't win), but this one definitely takes the cake... (pie?)

tpesch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tpesch

Using Pi as a play on the word pie is common. I have gotten a shirt for a gift that says QT (pi symbol). I have also bought a pie plate that has the pi symbol in the bottom with the irrational pi running around the outside for my brother the engineer (who does some cooking). And I have seen variations that have not been rendered as well in other catalogs etc.

Cho's shirt is a attractive representation of the concept (i.e. his drawing looks like a good pie.)
It is very unlikely that a derby entry comes up with a completely original idea, in that no one had thought of it ever before. And how would you know if it was truly original or not. Please note: this is different that directly ripping off something you have seen before or went and found on the internet.

It's lunchtime and I feel like some dessert.

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
mjl9320 wrote:Week after week, you put out excellent designs that appeal only to a small subgroup of the voters. This shirt screams "hey look, I'm a huge dork!", and most people aren't going to vote for that. I voted for it because I didn't like either of the other 3 fog shirts and thought this one deserved to win, but I wouldn't have bought it. While you have superior artistic skills, appealing only to the math nerd subgroup of shirt.woot voters isn't enough to win a derby.

Worked for me....

darkbladearts

quality posts: 2 Private Messages darkbladearts
haxrox wrote:Those are some mighty complements- thank you. I don't know how easy it is to get stuff printed elsewhere, but if I can easily set up a cheap shop for some designs, I'll let you know. Some of my friends have suggested that this might look better if the weapons were arranged differently. Any suggestions?

Hmm. I think it looks like they're up on a rack. I'm not sure how else to arrange them.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
hmglass wrote:that's what makes it slightly less passe. besides, the other one is NOT more original... look inside any angsty goth 17 year old's notebook and you'll see that exact design.

Don't get me wrong, the Poe loving angster in my is going to buy both *and i'm pissed the sparrow didn't win), but this one definitely takes the cake... (pie?)

I disagree. First of all, I don't consider Poe to be goth at all. Maybe I'm out of touch, but Poe is just more of an artsy thing. Second of all, it takes a lot more originality to create an image from a few letters than it does to slap some text inside of a shape.

I still commend haxrox on a winning idea and a very clean and excellent execution, but I would have much preferred to see the winners be those where text was manipulated and drawn in unique and interesting ways, rather than just having lines of plain text arranged into a shape.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

fredv

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fredv

Love, GMV. One for me, one for daughter and one for her math teacher. Not all math nerds, just math lovers!

akerbs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akerbs

Congrats! Hope to be purchasing one of these tomorrow!

Ladypixel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Ladypixel
rdyoungster wrote:I have many, many, many friends who think lighthouses are the greatest thing. This was a bit of a tribute to them. I may have to do some tweaking, but I wanted to get the idea out before I got too busy.

enjoy!

r

I've been looking through the derby entries, and to be very honest with you, yours is one of the most creative I've seen all evening. Nicely done!

lonewolf88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lonewolf88

its not the complete poem