f7eleven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages f7eleven
grypes wrote:Nooooooo.

I'm back under the top 20!

:-(

back in 20th -- with a little over an hour to go.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
xtinaftw wrote:No. It's a good clean design, but unlike some others who think buying a Christmas-y shirt in June is a swell idea, I personally don't wear any holiday themed shirts ever.

Would have gotten my vote had it been on blue or something.

Oh, most certainly the colour scheme had something to do with it. As I mentioned above, the Christmas association completely slipped my mind.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Nice job.. looove the color scheme and really like the sillouette.

jasneko

redesnot wrote:looks like the inside of my couch for sure!

Same here. I think the little pocket watch I lovvvved is still trapped on the _inside_ of a couch where there was a hole and it slipped through... never was able to find it/fish it out of there!

adamsw216

quality posts: 3 Private Messages adamsw216
Re: I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Ahem... anyways...

Arguments of being off-topic aside, I do like the style in which this was rendered. The bold golden colors do not bother me... they kind of remind me of a Gustav Klimt color palate.

However, I do not like how this looks on the shirt. It seems plain and ungrounded to the canvas. The figure is just floating there. I feel that this design is missing something to make it much better. It is one of those cases for me where it looks like a good illustration was just kinda slapped onto a shirt. Also, I'm not so sure of the shirt color working with the piece either...

DeadFrog

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DeadFrog
Re: I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Thanks for all of the great comments and the votes! This design was a lot of fun to create and I'm really pleased that so many of you liked it.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
hastethechariot wrote:i did report it twice and, posted the link here... its on my first post

Saw the link, was just wondering if you'd reported it as well. Interesting to see how long it takes to get a reaction, and if the rank of the shirt in question has anything to do with that.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

grypes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grypes
f7eleven wrote:back in 20th -- with a little over an hour to go.

Woo Hoo! 20th place!

Ldyandrea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ldyandrea
DeadFrog wrote:

That's even more cool!

Oeberon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Oeberon
DeadFrog wrote:

Lo, I am become Death, the destroyer of pandas.

Imagine that! My Join Date is a palindrome: 8-11-8
It's finally available!

DeadFrog

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DeadFrog
Oeberon wrote:Lo, I am become Death, the destroyer of pandas.

It's unclear as to whether or not he was responsible for what happened to the pandas....Whatever happened here, he's sorry.

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
Re: Big Brother Is Watching You

Here's hoping this prints! Good luck!

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

jasneko

Pretty, though I agree, would like it a little smaller. gmv though.

extraimagination

quality posts: 0 Private Messages extraimagination
Re: When Pigs Fly

I love it. I mean I really, really love it, but you should lose the text (no text in this week's derby) and your color samples don't belong on the shirt itself.

jasneko

Nice design. I like the crispness, the style and the placement.

jasneko

Ha I like it.

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
Re: This too shall pass.

I like this design, and I'm sorry that it got passed up this derby.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

knoxn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knoxn
Re: Big Brother Is Watching You

How do I vote? I want this!

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing
thatrobert wrote:

Thanks!

marmls2m

quality posts: 2 Private Messages marmls2m
krisrobinson wrote:So you're saying it's not a business because the Woot staff don't effect the vote of the product - just the people do. But just because they don't pick the winner doesn't mean it's not a business, any business that sells product relies on the consumer to chose the products they want to buy. The brilliance of the derby is that it actually gets them to VOTE on it before even selling the product. But that is still business.

like i said at the end of my last post, which you must have ignored.

shirt.woot+derby=business

derby by itself =/= business. (in case you were wondering =/= means does not equal)

krisrobinson wrote:The derby does create commerce, there's ads on the sidebars and it drives traffic to shirt.woot, wine.woot and woot itself.

logically, who comes to the derby site before ever visiting a woot page?

krisrobinson wrote:By your logic, American Idol would not be a business, it would be strictly a talent show for the benefit of the people, because the people choose the winner. Good luck trying to convince me that American Idol is not a business venture.

american idol is not a business. its a TV show. the contestants arent paid to perform, they are competing for a prize. FOX, which airs the show and sells advertisement time, IS a business.

based on your responses, i have a book recommendation for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Re-Discovery-Common-Sense-Critical-Thinking/dp/0595437087/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244741509&sr=1-5

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
knoxn wrote:How do I vote? I want this!

Voting ends at noon Central on Thursdays.
Looks like there's a good chance this will be printed on Saturday, though, so check the site then!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

crowjane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crowjane
sekiyuko wrote:I've found shirtderbystats to be off by a lot sometimes. Has anyone else seen that as well?

shirtderby stats don't lie. it's a print!

gnomage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gnomage
BoredStiff wrote:I like art, music, and beauty. What I consider each of those to be may (or may not)differ from what you or Adder feel "deserves" to be in said category. (I happen to hate Jason Mraz, but hey, he's got himself a nice niche)

This is not an art contest, it's a t-shirt contest. For a for-profit deal-a-day site.

Whether it is "art" or not is really not up to me to judge. I do not need to hold an MFA to click the "I want one button." I do not look down on those who vote or like a t-shirt design that is different from my personal preference. All I need is $10 bucks and an online account, and I can get the shirt I want, and ignore the shirt I do not.

In my opinion. there are some great artists out there who make a very lucrative pop-commercial living. There are some great artists out there who are starving and can't (or won't) sell a print if their mortgage depended on it. Whether they do it for money or not does NOT make them an artist. I know some pretty horrific starving artists, who, based on my opinion of their work, sorta deserve to starve because well, they kinda sorta suck. But again, it's just my opinion, and does not effect my life much.

One person may spend 5 minutes on a design that is crowd pleasing and sells well. Another may spend 3 years on a piece that is god awful and would make their own mother's cringe. Both (or neither) can be art. Sometimes, critics (whether or not they are other "artists") spend so much time on their high horses with their noses in the air, they sometimes miss some pretty cool shi(r)t because they were too busy staring at the sky (or their own reflection, which also may or may not be art.)

Having said all that...do I have an MFA? Yes. Have I exhibited in galleries? Yes. Have I been to some of the "great" museums of the world and appreciated everything I saw? Yes. Have I been to some really amazing starving artist galleries and walked away dumbfounded that this person or that person isn't recognized as a a "transcendent genius whose boots I am unworthy of licking?" Yes. Does any of that make my vote or want of a particular cotton garment on a deal-of-a-day site more valid than someone who just really likes pandas? Nope.

AMEN!!!

krisrobinson

quality posts: 2 Private Messages krisrobinson
marmls2m wrote:american idol is not a business. its a TV show. the contestants arent paid to perform, they are competing for a prize. FOX, which airs the show and sells advertisement time, IS a business.

...man that is hilarious. I'm speechless.

krisrobinson

quality posts: 2 Private Messages krisrobinson
crowjane wrote:shirtderby stats don't lie. it's a print!

Looks like it. Nice job yodal!

pineconebryce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pineconebryce

Oh man. Undies are so bunchy on this thread. I didn't know snakes could even get bunchy undies.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Re: The Early Bird

I'd agree. This should print. DF's was in the hotness since it was submitted and in those cases SDS is usually pretty accurate. If yours dropped out of the hotness at all SDS is only going to underestimate its vote total.

It's always good to see new people print and they way the branch loops around the sunrise as well as the different placements of the birds really shows you put time and effort into the conception of this shirt. It's not really my style but it's a cute I can root for.

aerinsol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerinsol
Re: 1928. Caged Inspiration.

As a former Disney employee, I love the quote and how you chose to interpret it. Brilliant! I hope it gets printed somewhere.

Hutif

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hutif
Re: Where there is love there is life

Really quite a shame it didn't make it. Its a gorgeous design and I love the colors.

aerinsol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerinsol
Re: The Early Bird

While the top four are all great designs, this is the only one I would actually buy and wear. It's bright and I love the artwork. Plus it's on a great color shirt. I really hope this one prints!

ChokingOutTheRadio

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ChokingOutTheRadio
eHalcyon wrote:And it is done! Had anyone actually tattled on this before today? I figured that someone had so I just neglected to, but since it was still around I sent in the report just a few hours ago with the link to that panda shirt.

You seem way too excited at someone else's loss. And I didn't even like the shirt. After seeing your behavior over this ordeal, I will never buy one of your designs.

humps411

quality posts: 0 Private Messages humps411
re: i am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Nice complete rip off of the character "War" from that upcoming videogame Darksiders. Considering the quote is about war and all... clever. Very original.

ghouliegrrrl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ghouliegrrrl
Re: The Devil is in the Details

Amazing. If this were a print I would buy it in a heartbeat - it would look great in my house. Hope it wins...

Nathan Strange

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
ChokingOutTheRadio wrote:You seem way too excited at someone else's loss. And I didn't even like the shirt. After seeing your behavior over this ordeal, I will never buy one of your designs.

Wow. I'm sorry if it appeared that way. I was actually excited that Woot did the right thing in rejecting this design, given that so many similar shirts exist. If you read through the conversation, you'll see that I never attacked DF personally and even defended him as an artist, for entries such as "Rain Dance". I also defended his entry as being on topic (people were arguing that "See no evil..." didn't qualify as a quotation in the context of the derby, and I disagreed) and I argued that, although the style used in this design was the same as in his previous winning entries, the design was still conceptually different. Unfortunately, that concept has been done many, many times, which is why I said it should be rejected and why I was pleased when Woot finally did it.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
krisrobinson wrote:...man that is hilarious. I'm speechless.

Thank God.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

threefour

quality posts: 0 Private Messages threefour
Re: When Pigs Fly

the color samples are part of the shirt chief.

shishkabibal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shishkabibal

I would actually stay up until midnight to make sure I got the first one.
Great shirt, and I would definitely love to make this my first woot.shirt purchase!

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
humps411 wrote:Nice complete rip off of the character "War" from that upcoming videogame Darksiders. Considering the quote is about war and all... clever. Very original.

Are you being sarcrastic?

Apologies if I missed the sarcasm, but apart from the hood I don't see it at all.

fablefire

quality posts: 24 Private Messages fablefire
DeadFrog wrote:It's unclear as to whether or not he was responsible for what happened to the pandas....Whatever happened here, he's sorry.

Thanks for a hilarious read this week and doodles. I hope you're laughing all of this cause I am. =D

marmls2m

quality posts: 2 Private Messages marmls2m
krisrobinson wrote:...man that is hilarious. I'm speechless.

oh speechless....

yeah, you must be right. so right, in fact, you dont even have to attempt to logically prove your point. all the better i suppose given that your point is not possible to prove logically