rlp518

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rlp518

I gotta tell you...I don't think this is one bit funny -- and I'm a guy who prides himself on a warped sense of humor. I find this to be irresponsible and, frankly, blatantly stupid and uncreative. Really poor judgment. This was the best t-shirt available? Really?! Maybe if the dirtdirt's schlubbily l-a-m-e explanation was printed on the back people would get it -- but I still don't. Dumb.

TheStarsFan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TheStarsFan

Even my twisted sense of humor doesn't find the funny here. I appreciate pushing the envelope, but some lines just don't need to be crossed. Not a fan, and wish woot would use better judgement.

cryss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cryss

I used to work in ER and Surgery - don't find this shirt amusing at all. My opinion that's all.

bradlerdad

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bradlerdad
PemberDucky wrote:do you have pica?

No, I was immunized for that as a small child.

wethesockmonkeys

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wethesockmonkeys

and while I don't believe I've seen it mentioned, the write-up for this shirt is equally tasteless. It absolutely implies that that some sicko is going to give tampered candy to annoying neighborhood kids.

While the entire notion is *unlikely* to happen, it is certainly possible. I look at my children's candy every year and absolutely throw away anything that's been opened. While it's probably just a manufacturing error, there are always several pieces of candy I pitch.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

This *is* already pretty absurd. Scissors in a chocolate bar? Safety pin in a roll of smarties? Tooth inside a lollipop??

Gimmie a break.

You people worried that this shirt is going to give sociopaths good ideas for hurting children don't give the sociopaths enough credit. They already have WAY worse ideas than this.

Besides, who on earth lets their children eat apples given to them by a stranger? Did you learn nothing from Snow White? That was in 1937 ya newbs.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

bluetuba wrote:This *is* already pretty absurd. Scissors in a chocolate bar? Safety pin in a roll of smarties? Tooth inside a lollipop??

Gimmie a break.

You people worried that this shirt is going to give sociopaths good ideas for hurting children don't give the sociopaths enough credit. They already have WAY worse ideas than this.

Besides, who on earth lets their children eat apples given to them by a stranger? Did you learn nothing from Snow White? That was in 1937 ya newbs.

Gimmie a break.

jenluvmirza

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenluvmirza

Wow woot. I'm upset about this T-shirt! This is a horrible way to present trick or treating. Including potentially lethal items in food? What an awful thing. I don't think you thought this one through. I'm disappointed.

bonjaker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bonjaker
itoaseik wrote:

P.S. Also, I predict offended people=cute shirts people, therefore fewer cute shirts henceforth if they actually boycott (fingers crossed).

Please let this be a goodbye to cute shirts

chadfs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chadfs

Am I the only one that doesn't like it because I only want the bad objects to show up in the dark when glowing? The theme, that I'm ok with.

goobersnot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goobersnot
RobinBobcat wrote:You know.. on a somewhat related concept - it occurs to me that powerful neodymium magnets are available these days, and much, much cheaper than x-ray machines. Have a nice little arrangement where the candy passes by, anything with any signifigant metal content gets yanked to the side.

You are aware that magnets only attract iron, cobalt, and nickel (and alloys thereof)-- right? Plus, even some iron alloys (such as steel) that are coated to make them stainless (as is the case with most needles) will not be attracted by a magnet. So basically, no.

Also - this shirt is in poor taste. Worse yet, it's not even funny.

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow

As I write this there are 210 comments over 6 pages about this shirt. I predict it will easily win "Most Discussed" this week.... especially since so many people are writing in about how it is a dis-cuss-ting design.

Congratulations to the artist, dirtdirt, for striking such a chord of dischord among the woot audience. I find the design quite funny and am amazed at the number of wooters with their bloomers in a bunch over it. I hope it sells very well. I like the idea of making it a "shirt-as-costume" for a candy inspector.

Relax, outraged fellow wooters, another design will be along very soon........

07/11/14

redbarchettayyz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redbarchettayyz

After seeing the PC brigade get all up in arms about this shirt, I felt obligated to register for woot and order this. I can't believe how uptight some people are.

morachi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages morachi
redbarchettayyz wrote:After seeing the PC brigade get all up in arms about this shirt, I felt obligated to register for woot and order this. I can't believe how uptight some people are.

Yeah, that free speech thing just sticks in your craw. Buncha ingrates who don't get the humor of putting razor blades in kids candy...

redbarchettayyz

morachi wrote:Yeah, that free speech thing just sticks in your craw. Buncha ingrates who don't get the humor of putting razor blades in kids candy...

Glad you see it my way!

Raymack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raymack

This is a horrible ideal! My family has a ton of woot shirts, but i don't think i can support a site that makes light of a serious problem(or give ideals). I hope woot cancels all orders and burns the lot.....

redbarchettayyz

Raymack wrote:This is a horrible ideal! My family has a ton of woot shirts, but i don't think i can support a site that makes light of a serious problem(or give ideals). I hope woot cancels all orders and burns the lot.....

I don't think that word means quite what you think it does

Jaxxie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Jaxxie

Thank you for making my night Woot!! I can't wait to show off my new shirt!

karachay40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karachay40

I really like this shirt, and I think people are taking too much out of it. Too bad I can't buy one because of the new anvil shirts =/

riparianprince

quality posts: 2 Private Messages riparianprince

It's creepy because it's almost true. I'm a Halloween grinch, so anything to discourage celebrating this creepy, morbid anti-holiday is a go for me!

There is never a bad time to not want to need something. Except now.

chessasaur

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chessasaur

Very disappointed with Woot for picking to sell this shirt.

lollillama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lollillama

Although I think most of your shirts are pretty awesome (I've certainly bought enough of them for my Kids, their Spouses & my Grand kids...even for my 92 year old Dad) I really think this one is in poor taste. These things really have happened and whether or not the stories are true doesn't matter. The idea is morbid and offensive. I look forward to seeing your daily E~mails, but this one bummed me out.

compoundbreak791

quality posts: 1 Private Messages compoundbreak791

I love this shirt. The big reason that made me decide to buy this shirt was the excessive amounts of negative comments regarding this image. I for one find this type of humor very funny and what is disappointing is that people take too seriously this type of humor.

lete

quality posts: 23 Private Messages lete

Am I the only one who sees this as a public service announcement?

khufu413

quality posts: 12 Private Messages khufu413
inkycatz wrote:Woah there, I can't believe we missed those demands. Our bad.

Here's your pony, as a bonus it can be any color you wish.

Off My Gangplank! I just woke up my wife by laughing so loud. That was awesome! Thank you (and I love the shirt).

aye512

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aye512
wharper wrote:$20 says someone will be detained for wearing this at an airport checkpoint, within 30 days.

Challenge accepted!!! :Þ

Now I just gotta get an airline ticket...

xyphox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xyphox

I'm not offended or anything by the shirt, and it wouldn't bother me to see someone wearing it. I don't really get why anybody would think that it's funny or clever though. For those that are amused, can you explain what exactly you find amusing about it?

markymark77

quality posts: 3 Private Messages markymark77
GrammarYahtzee wrote:For all of you outraged over the outrage, the joke's on you. Look closer and you'll see how many people are saying the exact same thing: this shirt is in poor "taste." Get it? "Taste." Ba-dum-tsssh (Where's my rimshot .gif when I need it)

For all of you actually outraged over this shirt giving sickos new ideas, really, they don't need shirt.woot's help. They have plenty of ideas already, THAT'S why they're sickos! If they want any help, all they need to do is watch Law & Order SVU, or Criminal Minds, but that's probably your favorite show. Where's your outrage for the direct portrayal of this sick behavior? How sick are the writers and actors paid to write twisted, disturbing plots for that show. At least Mandy Patinkin recently mentioned how he left C.M. because it disturbed him so much. (You go Inigo!)

Not only that, I think Snopes mentions there have never been any actual tampered treats. At least not enough to go crazy over.

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot:
0m 11.118s
First Sucker:
computermd82
Last Wooter to Woot:
polosport81
Last Purchase:
3 minutes ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 0% of Shirt Woots
Bottom 0% of all Woots
Woots Sold:

First day sales 469
(more posts than sales?)

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

First day sales: 469 with 227 comments, for an average of just about .48 comments/sale.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

morachi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages morachi
markymark77 wrote:Not only that, I think Snopes mentions there have never been any actual tampered treats. At least not enough to go crazy over.

I'm not sure where folks are getting that from. Google turned up a fair amount of stuff on the first try including this on Snopes.

http://snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/needles.asp

Is it common? thankfully no. Does it actually happen, yes. Again I fail to see the humor of it. It's one of the reasons why fewer kids trick or treat now. To walk around with a shirt that basically advertises why many parents don't allow their kids to trick or treat just strikes me as being in very poor taste.

iam730

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iam730
lollillama wrote:These things really have happened and whether or not the stories are true doesn't matter.

Huh? Either they happened, and the stories are true, or they didn't. How does that not matter?

jjkehoe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jjkehoe
khufu413 wrote:Off My Gangplank! I just woke up my wife by laughing so loud. That was awesome! Thank you (and I love the shirt).

HEY! You back off my pony! It took me a lot of whining to get that!

I shall call him Squishy.

KimNicole

quality posts: 3 Private Messages KimNicole
morachi wrote:I'm not sure where folks are getting that from. Google turned up a fair amount of stuff on the first try including this on Snopes.

http://snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/needles.asp

Is it common? thankfully no. Does it actually happen, yes. Again I fail to see the humor of it. It's one of the reasons why fewer kids trick or treat now. To walk around with a shirt that basically advertises why many parents don't allow their kids to trick or treat just strikes me as being in very poor taste.

Has anyone who posted this link read it?

It says it's happened a handful of times. Mostly as pranks by people who knew the victim.

It mentions one case as confirmed.

And that's just from a skim.

I trick-or-treated...a lot more than once. My odds of setting myself on fire walking past a jack o'latern were undoubtedly higher.

The facts don't support the sensitiveity to this shirt. This is a boogeyman. It's not real.

Unless you plan on avaoiding the desert out of fear of an anvil landing on you or a sidewalk for fear of falling baby grand pianos. Both have probably happened at least once, but they aren't common or worth altering your behaviour over.

psysicist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psysicist

I like this shirt but I think the artist could have toned it down a little and made it funnier at the same time. For example: scissors in the candy bar=funny, tooth in the lollipop=funny, safety pin in the smarties would be funnier if it was a closed safety pin. Razor blade in the apple- Mmmm, not so funny. I would put in more ridiculous things- what about a miniture bomb in the apple, with the stem as a fuse? Instead of a staple, how about a stapler? These are just quick ideas off the top of my head, but you see where I'm going with that. That's just my opinion anyway.

In any case, is it really cause to get up in arms and boycott Woot? C'mon people, its a T-shirt.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
jjkehoe wrote:HEY! You back off my pony! It took me a lot of whining to get that!

I shall call him Squishy.

And he shall be your Squishy?

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

oubliette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oubliette

I'm baaaack. I simply could not help myself, because clearly the crop of tv-zombies is ripe and ready for harvest!

Raymack wrote:This is a horrible ideal! My family has a ton of woot shirts, but i don't think i can support a site that makes light of a serious problem(or give ideals). I hope woot cancels all orders and burns the lot.....

Well typed you blithering imbecile.

I'm only sorry I can't personally reply to ALL of you slack-jawwed mouth-breathing Wal-Mart loving trailerpark morlocks. There are simply too many of you this time around and I'll make a post that applies to all your ranting fluoride-drinking suckers.

How about you worry about something real, like... a war in a sandy land for the sake of corporate profits and oil. How about you worry about the crap being sprayed over most cities of the world that is turning into "clouds" but happens to be ionized aluminum particles for, at the very least, weather modification that has left this country looking at a new dust-bowl. How about you worry that your mewling spawn are barely literate and can only type in lol-speak and cracking a book for pleasure is anathema to them.

How about this you spineless jelly-brained welfare-addicted crybabies?

I'm buying this shirt JUST to spite you clods, (okay, I love glow-in-the-dark) and WHEN I wear it, OUTSIDE A PRE-SCHOOL, sacrificing a goat to Lucifer, I will pray are chemically lobotomized and sterilized by overdose on high fructose corn-syrup.

How about THAT?

mickael

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mickael

I think this shirt is hilarious and so does my wife. What kind of candy is the one with the fish hook? That is the real thing that we should have a public outcry over. WHAT KIND OF CANDY IS THE FISH HOOK INSIDE!?

enigmaovershadowed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enigmaovershadowed

Okay.. this is ridiculous!! Is it really about the shirt anymore or one person's take on what they think is funny and their moral high ground?
People who think this is in poor taste.. Get over it.. Its a shirt... If you really want to see a sicko actually look up some people who HAVE murdered children and know that THIS is FAR FROM their regime let alone in their minds.... I have HEARD far worse tales of children murders than tainted candy.. and yes i was around for that era.. people are sick.. it happens... SUCH IS LIFE.. If you don't like the shirt dont buy it.. Sure the little story behind the shirt is rather morbid BUT did you ever think of using this as a warning?? Instead of using it as a negative use the shirt as a positive? Kind of like saying: Becareful kids there might be nails in that chocolate bar!.. Just put warning tape on the shirt if you're wearing it.. DONE something negative into something positive... and whose to know?? Instead of saying "Hey that's not cool".. try to TURN IT POSITIVE INSTEAD OF RUINING IT FOR THE REST OF US HERE!!

And i guess you people have never heard of "dark humor" have you? Some people find it humorous BECAUSE its bad.. not to say that if something horrible like that DID happen they would laugh their asses off.. they probably would feel JUST as BAD... The point of this IS: Its not hurting anybody... its a freedom of expression.. and just because YOU don't like it.. doesn't mean other people don't... and want to hear you talking about it.....
Moral of the story: Instead of looking at something negatively try to turn it into a positive and quit crapping on other peoples' parades.... Nuff Said

safyrejet

quality posts: 123 Private Messages safyrejet

I found this disturbing and I said so. Still I don't find myself to be easily offendable or sensitive. I certainly wouldn't advocate boycotting Woot, shaming them, encouraging others to not buy from them ever, etc. And seriously, people who want to hurt others are not sitting around getting sick ideas from t-shirts.

I dunno, I have a dark sense of humor but I don't find this amusing at all. And before anyone jumps on me as being up-tight or morally hoity toity, let me just say, I know--I don't have to buy it--and I didn't. It's kinda like how I find Freddy Krueger disturbing and I just don't make a point to watch his movies. But if others want to watch them, whatever. That's their prerogative.

I did read those linked snopes articles too. I think it's not so much whether this has or has not happened or if it's common or rare, but the idea that it's feasible, at least for some of it. I think it's the possible things like the needles and the razor blade that really threw me to the "this is friggin' creepy" side. I think it could have been much better if as other suggested it was all complete nonsense weapons like cannons, nunchuks, cartoon bombs, or chainsaws in the candy.

I'm amazed not so much at how many people are intensely bothered by this to the point of even swearing off Woot over it, but more over how many people are bothered over the people who are bothered...It goes both ways. It's OK for someone to like this, and it's OK for someone to not like this. And not having the humor to like this doesn't make someone humorless, it just means their sense of humor is different. I thought we all went over this stuff with that one line unicorn shirt...*sarcastic eyeroll*

Overall a rather amusing thread going on here, far more amusing to me than the shirt anyway.