marceepauff

quality posts: 15 Private Messages marceepauff
sonofafish wrote:I hear that. But honestly, don't let it faze you. This is my poorest performance in the 4 derbies I've done, and I've learned a lot... but yeah, votes are not a good metric for the quality of your art. Nothing against the stick figure, but there's a stick figure with almost 100 votes. I think deserving votes and getting votes have very little to do with each other here in wootland. can't get down about that, just keep trying!

There is some amazing artwork, no doubt. And yes, some people get votes because they have a following (most winners have entire facebook fanclubs - how can the average joe compete with that?); but you also have to keep in mind, people are voting for shirts they want to wear. While some artwork is beautiful, people might not get the reference or want to wear it on a t-shirt. Perhaps they'd prefer it on a poster or as a screensaver but not plastered across their chests. The stick figure is simple, but funny. I can actually see someone wearing it. Same thought with regard to my goat - not necessarily award-winning design, but simple and cute and funny and wearable (at least, that's the hope).

That is all.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Vincent Van Lovecraft

I think the art is fine, but your subject is the problem. Cthulhu has become a bit of a fad in geek culture but Lovecraft's work is still rather niche overall. The image of Lovecraft himself is even less recognizable. Honestly, the first thing I thought of when I saw this thumbnail was Rod Serling.

On a personal note, I love Lovecraft's cynical horror but the author's intense racism has always bothered me a bit. I wouldn't wear a shirt with him on it.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

lichme

quality posts: 2905 Private Messages lichme
sonofafish wrote:I hear that. But honestly, don't let it faze you. This is my poorest performance in the 4 derbies I've done, and I've learned a lot... but yeah, votes are not a good metric for the quality of your art. Nothing against the stick figure, but there's a stick figure with almost 100 votes. I think deserving votes and getting votes have very little to do with each other here in wootland. can't get down about that, just keep trying!

Hey now, my art work may not be the best, but the message behind it is legit. I have tons of respect for all of the artwork here, and until recently I hadn't really payed attention to it.

It is incredibly difficult to come up with a good, unique design idea. It is even harder to implement it.

marceepauff

bluetuba wrote:I think the art is fine, but your subject is the problem. Cthulhu has become a bit of a fad in geek culture but Lovecraft's work is still rather niche overall. The image of Lovecraft himself is even less recognizable. Honestly, the first thing I thought of when I saw this thumbnail was Rod Serling.

On a personal note, I love Lovecraft's cynical horror but the author's intense racism has always bothered me a bit. I wouldn't wear a shirt with him on it.

So funny. I totally saw Jesse James from Monster Garage (not American Chopper).

bluetuba

marceepauff wrote: And yes, some people get votes because they have a following (most winners have entire facebook fanclubs - how can the average joe compete with that?);

I'd like to stick up for the artists a little and point out that a lot of the people who win this derby regularly have a facebook fan club because they have been here submitting designs every week, participating in the community (back when we had an active community), and just generally being creative and talented for YEARS.

And despite all that, some total average Joe artist can still have a brilliant idea for the theme and if he/she submits it on time and it's polished and professional looking it might just win.

Stick around and maybe new folks will have some fans too if their work is appealing.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

therainbowlady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages therainbowlady
This has 2 of my favorite things on it, sunflowers and corgisMy Corgi Vinny

Trinda M Berlin

massha10

quality posts: 67 Private Messages massha10
Re: Pacific Night

I want this so bad I will cry.

massha10

Re: You Didn't Have to Cut Me Off

chuckle, indeed! thanks!

sonofafish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sonofafish
lichme wrote:Hey now, my art work may not be the best, but the message behind it is legit. I have tons of respect for all of the artwork here, and until recently I hadn't really payed attention to it.

It is incredibly difficult to come up with a good, unique design idea. It is even harder to implement it.

Like I said, no offense intended. I agree with the sentiment well enough. I didn't mean any disrespect, but on craftsmanship alone (and again, it's not the only thing that matters), many of the designs that you are beating have more than yours. And yet, who cares? You message is resonating with many, it would seem. That's worth something.

sonofafish

bluetuba wrote:I think the art is fine, but your subject is the problem. Cthulhu has become a bit of a fad in geek culture but Lovecraft's work is still rather niche overall. The image of Lovecraft himself is even less recognizable. Honestly, the first thing I thought of when I saw this thumbnail was Rod Serling.

I was kinda consoling the other dude, no so much lamenting my lack of votes. It's cool, people ain't diggin' on it, no big. But I gotta stick up for my boy HP: he recanted on a lot of that. His later work does not contain racist themes and in his letters he expressed great regret at his youthful stupidity. I feel he was a tortured soul much in the way Van Gogh was, they both died relatively young, and neither were appreciated until after their deaths. I thought it'd be fitting to combine them, but people want less introspective stuff, as evidenced by the ear jokes and puns on his name. But that's cool, it's a t-shirt, and there's always another derby.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit
Re: Stormy Planet

I really like this- A Van Gogh Jupiter is both thematically perfect and rad looking!

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Pacific Night

Thanks everyone for your awesome support and comments!

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit
tjschaeffer wrote:If only you knew how many times I had to look to realize the owl had one horn... Great work!

omarfeliciano wrote:Good catch, I didn't noticed that before you pointed it out! That makes it even better

Glad you dig it guys- I originally had the bandage around his head but it was just TOO SAD. Went a little more subtle.

sonofafish

marceepauff wrote: but you also have to keep in mind, people are voting for shirts they want to wear. While some artwork is beautiful, people might not get the reference or want to wear it on a t-shirt. Perhaps they'd prefer it on a poster or as a screensaver but not plastered across their chests. The stick figure is simple, but funny. I can actually see someone wearing it.

Well, that's the theory. I'm not sure it's that simple, as there are any number of motivations for voting. I grant you that people BUY shirts they want to wear, but voting when there's no commitment to buy? And there's this community feel? And there's this notion of what "deserves" votes? No, every voter has their own selection process for votes. I think it's pretty telling that you said you can see "someone" wearing the stick figure. Not you?

Anyway, like I said, I'm fine with no few votes. I had fun making my piece. I mean, I'm sure getting a fat check is fun, maybe someday!

marceepauff

sonofafish wrote:Well, that's the theory. I'm not sure it's that simple, as there are any number of motivations for voting. I grant you that people BUY shirts they want to wear, but voting when there's no commitment to buy? And there's this community feel? And there's this notion of what "deserves" votes? No, every voter has their own selection process for votes. I think it's pretty telling that you said you can see "someone" wearing the stick figure. Not you?

Anyway, like I said, I'm fine with no few votes. I had fun making my piece. I mean, I'm sure getting a fat check is fun, maybe someday!

Of course, everything you said is true. I was just pointing out that artistic ability isn't always the best predictor of votes. I was simply agreeing with you while also explaining one of the reasons why that might be the case.

And, yes, I CAN see myself wearing 'art is hard'. I could also see myself wearing 'scaregrogh' on Halloween and getting the owl for a friend who loves owls. On the other hand, while I find 'Bald Mountain' and 'Deep Impressions' beautiful and impressive works of art, I couldn't see myself wearing either. I'm sure if I had friends into whales or Fantasia, they would be instabuys. *shrug*

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: Scarecrogh

Nicely done. +1

sonofafish

marceepauff wrote:Of course, everything you said is true. I was just pointing out that artistic ability isn't always the best predictor of votes. I was simply agreeing with you while also explaining one of the reasons why that might be the case.

And, yes, I CAN see myself wearing 'art is hard'. I could also see myself wearing 'scaregrogh' on Halloween and getting the owl for a friend who loves owls. On the other hand, while I find 'Bald Mountain' and 'Deep Impressions' beautiful and impressive works of art, I couldn't see myself wearing either. I'm sure if I had friends into whales or Fantasia, they would be instabuys. *shrug*

All that said, I reiterate that I was not dissing the stick figure in stating that it took more GD skills to make the one with the angry ear. If it resonates, gets votes, and sells shirts, more power to the stick fig!

bluetuba

sonofafish wrote:I was kinda consoling the other dude, no so much lamenting my lack of votes. It's cool, people ain't diggin' on it, no big. But I gotta stick up for my boy HP: he recanted on a lot of that. His later work does not contain racist themes and in his letters he expressed great regret at his youthful stupidity. I feel he was a tortured soul much in the way Van Gogh was, they both died relatively young, and neither were appreciated until after their deaths. I thought it'd be fitting to combine them, but people want less introspective stuff, as evidenced by the ear jokes and puns on his name. But that's cool, it's a t-shirt, and there's always another derby.

Fair enough, I like the swirly tentacle combo too.

massha10

Well - there is art and there is an idea, a concept. and then there is this - will I be seen wearing this shirt? Does it fit me and the image I am trying to project? I actually quite often vote for shirts that I personally would not wear; but I ALWAYS vote for shirts that I would wear. The stick figure with its message actually makes for a funny shirt that I could wear. Granted, My preferences are still the Mordor shirt and the Pacific Rim one and something else I do not remember at the moment.

bluetuba

I'll say it! The stick figure sucks, and if a stick figure and some text printed in a VAN GOGH derby instead of all the other cool stuff in the fog that would be a damn shame. I think that slapping a single ear on it isn't good enough and it's still off-theme.

As for this design, I like the style and think he did a good job, but it is a little gruesome for the woot crowd and it's hard to pull off a humanoid cartoon unless it's excessively cute around here.

massha10

Just a bit of trivia - I read an article some time ago (don't have the citation handy, sorry) in which the author insisted that what drove Van Gogh to cut his ear was not insanity but an inner ear inflammation. He went over the list of complaints that Van Gogh allegedly made to his friends at one point or another - and at the time were interpreted as signs of neurasthenia or worse - and felt like a chronic inner ear infection was a far better fit - and a somewhat saner, if you will, motive for cutting it off.

Re: How Could you do this to me

bubblehezza

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bubblehezza
Re: How Could you do this to me

There are a lot of contributing factors, as all of you have said, and sometimes a design gets votes because the concept is so strong that the execution doesn't need to be incredible for it to be a great design. However no one can say that there isn't some work that is pretty pants with only a mediocre concept that scores quite well and maybe that's down to A following. I think my design is funny at least to me, the art is clean but maybe doesn't sit we'll on a tshirt. I think I'll adjust to woot and understand more about 'what people want to wear' instead of just a nicely drawn image. However this is my style and I wouldn't change the way I work just to entice more votes. Presence and consistency just might help somewhat.

Looking forward to more subs

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 92 Private Messages Thirdbase9
Re: Vincent Van Fro

He's even missing an ear.

I don't know.

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
artulo wrote:Nicely done. +1

I appreciate it. Thank you.

sonofafish

bluetuba wrote:Fair enough, I like the swirly tentacle combo too.

Thanks!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: Van Gogh

Still not printable.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

princessbunny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages princessbunny

purplern

quality posts: 0 Private Messages purplern

Awesome!

purplern

quality posts: 0 Private Messages purplern

Awesome! Love it

Mavyn

Re: Dry Dry Sharknado Desert

Theme? At all?

sonofafish

Re: Dry Dry Sharknado Desert

I guessed wrong. I thought the rejectinator would say "We can't run this."

claravox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages claravox

love it :-)

Re: starry city lights

Mavyn

sonofafish wrote:I guessed wrong. I thought the rejectinator would say "We can't run this."

Sometimes the rejecter is spoiled for choices. ;)

swimmernq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swimmernq
Re: Flowering Planet

Awesome Design!

swimmernq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swimmernq
Re: The Starry Night on the Bald Mountain

This is Awesome! Looks better than a lot of the products Disney has made.

jfenchel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfenchel
errsta wrote:would like better with just one ear but it's cool regardless

i was about to write pretty much the exact same post

thumperchick

quality posts: 240 Private Messages thumperchick
Re: Etch-A-Gogh

Anyone else concerned about whether the white knobs will land directly over the nipples?

Just me?

OK.

thumperchick

Re: The Starry Night on the Bald Mountain

This is amazing! I saw the thumbnail and got the music stuck in my head.

cathyefrost13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cathyefrost13

This is a awesome design. I hope it makes it I will order this for sure.
CEFrost

thumperchick

swimmernq wrote:Thanks for the love! If there is any criticism would love to hear it. Second derby and always looking to improve.

I love the design, the detail, you did very well.

Since you asked, I do have a suggestion - you could have avoided the "square" area of the shirt. The best designs usually naturally progress out into the shirt blank - don't force it.