acraigl

quality posts: 181 Private Messages acraigl
Re: Beware the Red Dot

I don't know why this doesn't have more votes. It checks all the boxes: cute, clever, great style and execution. Maybe too scary for the kiddies?

Anyway, great job!

VOTE! >>

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 16 Private Messages benjaminleebates
Inatangle wrote:Oh darn... I love this design!

I'm not a shirt designer, just an admirer of the fantastic designing and hard work that shirt designers put into these derbies. I learn things from comments like this one even though I'm not a shirt artist.

I just popped in here to vouch for Coltsmere. I have little doubt that she does want to improve and will accept what you have said and learn from it. I also believe that she'll start getting prints eventually. A newbie with a lot of promise, imo.

(PS. Coltsmere, if you are not a "she" please correct me. It was only during this Derby that I read a comment that tipped me off that you are probably a she.)

I try to be gender neutral in my comments if I can. The "attaboy" was more of a generic term for telling anyone that they are doing a good job; not a comment on gender... much like the over used "you guys" in a mixed group. I don't want offense to get in the way of a well meaning post to help one improve their craft.

Inatangle

quality posts: 115 Private Messages Inatangle
Re: Beware the Red Dot

acraigl wrote:I don't know why this doesn't have more votes. It checks all the boxes: cute, clever, great style and execution. Maybe too scary for the kiddies?

Anyway, great job!

I'll second that. This is a cool design. I voted for it days ago...meant to comment on it but I forgot to. This is definitely Printworthy!

Inatangle

quality posts: 115 Private Messages Inatangle
Re: CuddleFish

benjaminleebates wrote:I try to be gender neutral in my comments if I can. The "attaboy" was more of a generic term for telling anyone that they are doing a good job; not a comment on gender... much like the over used "you guys" in a mixed group. I don't want offense to get in the way of a well meaning post to help one improve their craft.

Your "attaboy" didn't trouble me at all. I'm just somebody who really likes to know if people on Shirt Woot are male or female. The avatars certainly don't help you to know...lol

transformingegg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages transformingegg
acraigl wrote:I don't know why this doesn't have more votes. It checks all the boxes: cute, clever, great style and execution. Maybe too scary for the kiddies?

Anyway, great job!

Thanks acraigl! Perhaps I could have improved the design thumbnail a bit by doing a more zoomed in version? It's ok though, I am pleased it has received the votes it has and there is still a few hours for perhaps a few more. Will see how it goes.

ColtsMere

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ColtsMere
benjaminleebates wrote:People do not put much effort into critiquing each others work any more.
If it is a good design, then the "attaboy" would be fine. But if you do not follow the rules, then someone should say something. Not to make you feel bad but to help you get better... If you really do want to get better!?
Do not use textures snagged from the web and photoshopped into the drawing.
The rules are still 6 color and your own work, unless otherwise noted.
If I am incorrect on this, please feel free to chime in; oh woot gods!
People once spent much time debating the validity of every design, even if it only had one vote. It wasn't the position of the shirt in the contest that made it a target, but the attitude of the designer. If the designer appreciated the feed back and listened to the criticism, then they would excel. If they made excuses for their mistake and tried to justify it, then they would often become marginalized. This did not always negatively affect the votes for that artist, but it did shine a light on the anomaly.
Cheers!

WOW! Thanks so much for your helpful comments! I did, in fact, use actual cuttlefish textures in an effort to be as realistic as possible for my little cuddle-fish! Then, I colorized them so as to get a combo that I liked. I knew that you can't use clip-art and stuff like that, but I did not realize that textures were off the table, too. I guess I'll have to re-read the rules for the millionth time to make sure nothing else has slipped by me.

I truly, truly appreciate your willingness to take the time to make your thoughtful comments. There are so many amazing designers doing weekly work here, I'm having a blast firing out designs fast and furious while trying to learn!

-Coltsmere

ColtsMere

I'm not a shirt designer, just an admirer of the fantastic designing and hard work that shirt designers put into these derbies. I learn things from comments like this one even though I'm not a shirt artist.

I just popped in here to vouch for Coltsmere. I have little doubt that she does want to improve and will accept what you have said and learn from it. I also believe that she'll start getting prints eventually. A newbie with a lot of promise, imo.

(PS. Coltsmere, if you are not a "she" please correct me. It was only during this Derby that I read a comment that tipped me off that you are probably a she.)

Thanks, Inatangle! I am, in fact, a she! ;-)

I'm going to look into the rules for textures. I guess with the new technologies available to us, I was almost thinking of textures as brushes. Anyway, ya live and learn, right?!

-ColtsMere

ColtsMere

benjaminleebates wrote:I try to be gender neutral in my comments if I can. The "attaboy" was more of a generic term for telling anyone that they are doing a good job; not a comment on gender... much like the over used "you guys" in a mixed group. I don't want offense to get in the way of a well meaning post to help one improve their craft.

Heehee! If somebody wants to help me learn more and get better doing what I LOVE to do, you can call me whatever ya wanna! No worries!

Thanks again for your help!

-ColtsMere

benjaminleebates

ColtsMere wrote:Thanks, Inatangle! I am, in fact, a she! ;-)

I'm going to look into the rules for textures. I guess with the new technologies available to us, I was almost thinking of textures as brushes. Anyway, ya live and learn, right?!

-ColtsMere

I think the "USE 6 SPOT COLORS MAXIMUM" negates the ability to use textures from photos. Using photos in any manner can cause your art to be rejected, even if it is partial, for textures, royalty free, your own work, etc.
They really want your work to LOOK like it was generated by a human.

ColtsMere

Inatangle wrote:Your "attaboy" didn't trouble me at all. I'm just somebody who really likes to know if people on Shirt Woot are male or female. The avatars certainly don't help you to know...lol

Me: Woman! Although I try to keep most of my designs mostly gender neutral. ;-)

-ColtsMere

ColtsMere

benjaminleebates wrote:I think the "USE 6 SPOT COLORS MAXIMUM" negates the ability to use textures from photos. Using photos in any manner can cause your art to be rejected, even if it is partial, for textures, royalty free, your own work, etc.
They really want your work to LOOK like it was generated by a human.

Ah, helpful. See, I specifically went with the colorizing with the 6-color rule in mind, plus I wanted the sleepy and related color palette.

I'd love some more guidance on the use of textures from the Woot staff. Of course, I guess if I get more into the mind set of "illustration," that may guide me further in the right direction. So great - thanks!

-ColtsMere

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 277 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Moby Cheep

Thank you both for the feedback!

I tried out a peppier version too (in my sig). This week has been a really competitive derby so it's hard to know if I fell short or just got lost in the mix. I like the lines though (thanks Clip Studio Paint!)

ColtsMere

By the way, thanks also for your lovely compliment about having some promise! It really gave me a boost!
-ColtsMere

mcobutte

quality posts: 16 Private Messages mcobutte
Re: Splash

Late in the derby,but great design

jasneko

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Deep Sea Dinner

Yup them cats! Thanks narfcake and inatangle!

ENarciso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ENarciso
Re: Reading light

It's so nice to finally see people being smart and voting for your shirts! ;) I love, love, love this shirt!

kharmazero

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kharmazero
TommersP wrote:Ah that's gorgeous. Voted!

Thanks a lot!!!

CrumblinCookie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CrumblinCookie
paxdomino wrote:Very nice mood and composition you have going on here!

flemtone wrote:This is really a lovely design.

Thank you very much flemtone and paxdomino!

Randyotter

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Randyotter
ENarciso wrote:It's so nice to finally see people being smart and voting for your shirts! ;) I love, love, love this shirt!

Thanks a lot! I keep submitting anyway as there is often someone like you who says something nice!

oakenspirit

quality posts: 114 Private Messages oakenspirit
Re: Cefallopod

You guys are too kind. Glad you like it. :D

commandZ

quality posts: 0 Private Messages commandZ
KitKat10 wrote:So sad, so cute, so hilarious! I love it!

Ha!

Narfcake

quality posts: 378 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

Randyotter wrote:Thanks a lot! I keep submitting anyway as there is often someone like you who says something nice!

Ironic, Aaron, considering some of the responses you've given to fellow artists in the past ...

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and American Apparel (AA) options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

benjaminleebates

Narfcake wrote:Ironic, Aaron, considering some of the responses you've given to fellow artists in the past ...

HA