acraigl

quality posts: 183 Private Messages acraigl
giraffalot wrote:Is it just me or is there some fierce battling going on to get into and pushing out of the fog this week?? Also, these scores even before the fog seem a LOT higher than usual! Are people voting more this week??

Totally. Numbers are up, for sure. Guessing the surge is due to the promo email that went out this morning, but maybe it's just a popular theme and/or holiday shopping has brought more traffic to the site than usual.

acraigl

giraffalot wrote:Is this face a copyrighted image though? I hope not of course, just wondering.

This one feels much more stylized so that I don't think it violates any IP. But that's up to the rejectionator to decide.

giraffalot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages giraffalot
acraigl wrote: rejectionator

LOL

--------------------------------
Vote for Dungeons & Dragons!

Jennzilla

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Jennzilla
Inatangle wrote:Actually, I used to know at least 4 of them. Back when I was a high school freshman, I knew a group of upperclassmen who identified with (and even resembled!) Dorothy, the Scarecrow, the Tinman, and the Cowardly Lion. I admired them like crazy... would have volunteered to be Toto in a heartbeat! lol

Lol! Awesome.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
kg07 wrote:Nice design. You are one of the best here on woot at designing t-shirts with text. I am jealous. +1

Thank you! :D

Narfcake

quality posts: 380 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

acraigl wrote:I think it was a good bit of constructive criticism, and the artist community should feel ok to contribute to each other in this way, without thinking we're going to hurt feelings. I wish there was more of this, actually. As long as it's positive and in the interest of overall improvement, these types of comments are very valuable IMO.

Absolutely.

Comments that are NOT helpful are the ones along the lines of:
- This sucks.
- A blind rat draws better than this.
- This is isn't as hideous than your other design. What's wrong?
- Is everyone just getting lazy now?

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and premium options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

acraigl

Re: It came from Canada!

Is it weird that I don't get this? Or is it just fall and leaves and stuff? Sorry. :|

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 172 Private Messages agingdragqueen
Narfcake wrote:The cat crowd is what you have to panda to. There's not much left of the cute crowd once the 'King of Kawaii' left here for med school ...

True! I have some cat designs that Ocho has told me are bad perhaps just to be needlessly cruel since she feels she owns the cat market.

sgemmill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sgemmill
Re: Big It's a Wonderful Life fan!Wonderful Old Building and Loan

giraffalot

acraigl wrote:Is it weird that I don't get this? Or is it just fall and leaves and stuff? Sorry. :|

The leaf is like an old b-movie monster but it came from Canada, not from space or the swamp like the b movies.

mcobutte

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mcobutte
Re: Gone with the... Man in Black?

This submitted earlier, would probably be in or near the fog

giraffalot

acraigl wrote:Is it weird that I don't get this? Or is it just fall and leaves and stuff? Sorry. :|

mcobutte

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mcobutte
Re: The Cookiefather - Don Corlecookie

This could be almost any blue Muppet

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

acraigl wrote:This one feels much more stylized so that I don't think it violates any IP. But that's up to the rejectionator to decide.

Restyling a character may not be sufficient to get pass "fair use" of IP. Lawyers have their way of interpreting things.

In any case, it's up to shirt.woot on whether this will be okay or not (because a lack of goggles).

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and premium options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

ThunderThighs wrote:Good grief! It took FOREVER for someone to notice over here! ...

Inatangle wrote:Actually, I noticed it about a week ago. ... There are times when I've wondered if there is anything he doesn't know about Shirt Woot. It's great to see him get a title for something he does so well.

*blush*

agingdragqueen wrote:True! I have some cat designs that Ocho has told me are bad perhaps just to be needlessly cruel since she feels she owns the cat market.

Well there was this writeup a while back on one of her catshirts ...

Hey Sean.

"Hey Joel. It's 7am. What's up, man?"

Yeah, sorry. Wanted to catch you before you left for work. Don't bother coming in today.

"What? Why?"

We're selling an Ochopika cat shirt and the money, you know, it's piling up so high that it's blocking the door. You won't be able to get in even if you wanted to.

"Oh, so just like last time."

Yeah.

acraigl

Re: It came from Canada!

Gotcha. I think I was looking for some specific reference beyond the genre alone. Thanks.

acraigl

mcobutte wrote:This submitted earlier, would probably be in or near the fog

I'd agree, but it's also grounds for a DQ since the thumbnail and comp colors don't match. Great idea though, for sure.

Amh7771

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Amh7771

1) This shirt has been made before: MANY TIMES. This is just one example.

2) MORE IMPORTANTLY: it seem the drawing is complete traced having just moved the eyes a bit.

acraigl

Amh7771 wrote:1) This shirt has been made before: MANY TIMES. This is just one example.

2) MORE IMPORTANTLY: it seem the drawing is complete traced having just moved the eyes a bit.

Yikes. TBH, I never really understood how this fit the theme either. Other than the title, there's really no connection to classic movies.

cletusprince

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cletusprince

spikeani

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spikeani
johnsonua wrote:Yes, I felt the last dregs of my childhood innocence drain away...

Sorry I have a dark side. lol

jnolen85

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jnolen85

jupilberry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jupilberry
acraigl wrote:Yikes. TBH, I never really understood how this fit the theme either. Other than the title, there's really no connection to classic movies.

I do not agree with the "off topic" reason for rejection. I feel the shirt fit the theme. The theme is "inspired by..." That leaves a LOT of latitude and room for interpretation. However, the movie is from 1972 and the inspirational movie has to be 1960s or earlier. So rejected for that reason makes sense. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

jupilberry wrote:I do not agree with the "off topic" reason for rejection. ...

Being rejected for "off-topic" is a gentle way of saying "we're not going to print this because of ____, ____, and ____ reasons".

I do not speak for shirt.woot, but IMHO, this one treaded too close for comfort in regards to the IP. And nobody wants to have to deal with lawyers.

Inatangle

quality posts: 119 Private Messages Inatangle

Rejected? After it had 64 votes on it? This is a shame. Especially since when it had 64 votes, it was in the row directly under the fog. What a disappointment for this shirt artist...who is just getting started.

SevenArts, I'm so sorry this happened. I have been around long enough to know that at least 95 percent of the shirt artists here have had at least one of their designs (& usually more) rejected for various reasons. I'm beginning to think it's a sort initiation rite around here... lol It doesn't make it any easier when it's Your design that gets disqualified, however.

Your design got rejected for being Off Topic. I guess Acraig was correct when he mentioned that other than the title of your design, there wasn't a strong enough connection to the Classic Movie theme.

Actually, I felt a little uneasy when I saw you had entered it in this Derby, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why it bothered me. Acraig nailed it, I guess. Btw, he's very kindhearted, as are most, if not all of the shirt artists here. If you need to run any ideas by a shirt designer, he's one of the many who would be glad to help you out.

I hope this rejection doesn't bum you out so much that you want to throw in the towel or anything. I'm not a shirt artist, but I see plenty of potential in your designs. They've caught my eye in other Derbies because of your pleasing use of colors and creative ideas. I've also noticed your designs are improving each time you enter a Derby. imo, hang around here long enough, and you'll start getting some prints. (At least that's my take on it. Possibly another shirt artist can give you an assesment that is better or more accurate than mine.)

I have one more thing to discuss. That is the following comment made by Amh7771.

Amh7771 wrote:1) This shirt has been made before: MANY TIMES.

I do not agree, Amh7771.

This "delete cookies" design appeared for a brief time in a Derby shortly before this one. At that time I looked it up on line. Yes, I did see the same concept expressed on other tee shirts-- but none of the others I saw were as well executed and creatively drawn as this one is. Of everything I viewed on line this SevenArts design easily wins the blue ribbon.

I don't remember exactly which Derby "Delete Cookies" was entered in, but it didn't fit in with that one. So I PMed Seven Arts and suggested that he wait for the right Derby or enter it in the dailies.

SevenArts, I'm wondering if you could still enter it as a daily. Maybe a moderator or a shirt artist would know the answer to that for sure.

Hang in there, SevenArts! I'm certainly not the only one who's rooting for you.

jupilberry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jupilberry
Narfcake wrote:Being rejected for "off-topic" is a gentle way of saying "we're not going to print this because of ____, ____, and ____ reasons".

I do not speak for shirt.woot, but IMHO, this one treaded too close for comfort in regards to the IP. And nobody wants to have to deal with lawyers.

I understand you not wanting to upset, as George Costanza would say, the delicate genius of the artist. However, many artists learn from rejections. Vague reasons sometimes just cause confusion. My favorite rejection of one of my designs was "Ewww."

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

jupilberry wrote:I understand you not wanting to upset, as George Costanza would say, the delicate genius of the artist. However, many artists learn from rejections. Vague reasons sometimes just cause confusion. My favorite rejection of one of my designs was "Ewww."

Again, I'm not staff, and I'm not involved in behind-the-scene stuff like curating or rejecting designs. It's just years of paying attention here that clue me into what some of the rejectionator's comments really mean.

As for your rejected derby entry from 6-1/2 years ago ... you broke the "no creme" rule, didn't ya?!

(One of the biggest ouch rejection probably has to be "Rejected because: No print ready art provided." on a design that placed first.)

KitKat10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KitKat10
kg07 wrote:This is a very nice idea for a design. I am not a professional artist (see me designs for confirmation), but I have a tiny bit of constructive criticism that may (or may not) be helpful. The drawing, composition and idea are really nice, but the fact that all the lines are completely uniform makes it look artificial and digital. I think that if you made this really minor change, your design would get a lot more votes. +1

Thanks for the suggestions! I know I still have a lot to learn (and practice) with my drawing. I appreciate any and all constructive criticism. I feel like it helps me improve, and that's part of the fun in doing the derbies! 😊 Your note is very appreciated and appropriate!

giraffalot

Inatangle wrote:Yes, I did see the same concept expressed on other tee shirts-- but none of the others I saw were as well executed and creatively drawn as this one is.

I have to disagree with this with every fibre in me. It may be much more useful for the artist to offer some honest critique of their design rather than bombard them with praise for a design that was below standard. Unless you know something we don't and they are a very young artist. I'll assume they are not and offer these points.

1. The design is stolen from somebody else's original artwork. Copied or traced.

2. The text content does not match the image. Why would the Godfather worry about computer cookies being deleted?

3. The Godfather was not 1960's. Off topic.

4. The font overlaying the image is cluttered and difficult to read. It is a different blue to the monster which clashes.

5. The image is pixelated, suggesting that it is a low resolution image stretched from a smaller one and inappropriate for high resolution printing.

6. The illustration is in my opinion not up to a standard we come to expect these days. It is certainly not "the most well executed and creatively drawn" that I have seen.

This is just my opinion.

flemtone

quality posts: 16 Private Messages flemtone
Re: Wizard Boy

This design has been waiting so long - it's time. Print it already!

jnolen85

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jnolen85
Re: Kingkong VS Banana Squid

This is awesome. I wish this was subbed earlier so it could have got more votes.

acraigl

jnolen85 wrote:This is awesome. I wish this was subbed earlier so it could have got more votes.

Agree! I would actually like to see the text removed, but wow, what an illustration!

simic

quality posts: 14 Private Messages simic

spikeani

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spikeani

Dude this should win anyway. Nice job GMV

simic

quality posts: 14 Private Messages simic
flemtone wrote:This design has been waiting so long - it's time. Print it already!

Uuuu... I like your enthusiasm

ILoveEwe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ILoveEwe
Inatangle wrote:Cute! gmv

One thing that this Derby proves is that there are a lot of Wizard of Oz lovers around here... I'm one of them!

Thank you Inatangle! Thanks for always being so supportive

This whole derby had awesome submissions. A lot of great art and great ideas

ILoveEwe

Just wow. The detail is amazing.

I agree, it's a shame it was posted late. It would have been neat to see how it did in the derby if it was submitted early

acraigl

ILoveEwe wrote:Thank you Inatangle! Thanks for always being so supportive

This whole derby had awesome submissions. A lot of great art and great ideas

Agree to both. Great derby this week. Loved that we got a lot more voters -- for whatever reason.

ILoveEwe

Re: Octo Kong

Awesome colors! This is such a great design.

Inatangle

quality posts: 119 Private Messages Inatangle

jnolen85 wrote:This is awesome. I wish this was subbed earlier so it could have got more votes.

I agree with you.

Why do people submit entries to Derbies when there's only a day or two left to vote on them? Especially when the design is as good as this one is? Why don't they save a late design for another derby, especially when a design that's entered in more than one Derby can be rejected?

I'd love some feedback on this question, because it's been perplexing me for months!