sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
highgrassfarm wrote: I compromised some "realism" for space and detail.

Ya, that happens all the time for designs, you as the artist get to make choices that break reality (I tweaked my newton's cradle to break the norm, some liked it, some did, but that's the choice we as designers make).
Would be funny if the next theme allowed you to make a version where he DID plug the tube.

skibbereengirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skibbereengirl
2thFairy wrote:What line, and who sets the bar?

Hopefully, your conscience. But sadly, not everyone's is functioning at full capacity.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
bluchez wrote:...... try to look at the designs that win and ask yourself why they win based on the design. You will find that they win because the voters (that particular week) liked them. .......

Just to add a few more notes to this discussion.

Many people love good designs, but don't necessarily want to wear them. Many people just care about the subject, and are ambivalent about design.

For instance, I would never want to wear a shirt with parachuters jumping out of my pocket, but I live with someone who plays war games and will love this. The main thing is that there is NOTHING else like this on the market. The designer found a niche where people who wear tshirts don't have many themed shirts. There are lots of military shirts, but not lots of funny military shirts.

Also, keep in mind that this site appeals to people who don't want to spend a lot on tshirts. If they already have 7 pirate shirts, they may give up an 8th even if the newer one is better that most of the others. It's just economics.

It takes a while to figure this group of voters out. Some will post their likes and dislikes for you, but most may only know what they like when they see it. As bluchez advised, take a look at past shirts and that may help you with future designs.

dlcramer99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlcramer99
NuLLx42 wrote:

not that original

That IS where I got the idea from for mine.

mjc613

Re: Perpetual Emotion

This is a nail biter!!! I keep watching shirtderbystats.com, which is usually a very good predictor,, but I think this one is too close to call. You can tell that, because this one and the 2 Cho designs (not wave) keep moving in and out of the fog as people play the " move the votes around" game. I don't think we will really know the final results until things go on sale.

RicardoRizo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RicardoRizo
AdderXYU wrote:To play devil's advocate, most of America seemed to think it was fine to exploit said deaths for other reasons.

Yes I agree. I wouldn't wear the shirt, but would I drink a "Belfast Car Bomb"? yeah. Would I joke about Chinese sweat shops when I wear my designer shoes? probably. Would I play video games reenacting famous World War massacres, etc... There are a ton of things Americans make fun of that wouldn't be taken so lightly if the roles would be reversed.

centexman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages centexman
Re: Greeting with Motion

Woot... you really crossed the line on this one. Vulgar????? Oh GIVE ME A BREAK!

mjc613

centexman wrote:Woot... you really crossed the line on this one. Vulgar????? Oh GIVE ME A BREAK!

Welcome to the world of the rejectionator. It's their party; we just come to drink the booze.

mjc613

Re: Beem me up

Sorry it took so long, but I finally got this to show up in my signature's top line on the derby thread.

highgrassfarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highgrassfarm
sokowa wrote:Ya, that happens all the time for designs, you as the artist get to make choices that break reality (I tweaked my newton's cradle to break the norm, some liked it, some did, but that's the choice we as designers make).
Would be funny if the next theme allowed you to make a version where he DID plug the tube.

It would be funny, I don't know if I would try it again or not. I would like to tweak the design, but I'm not sure Wooters really appreciate icosahedron racers. Otherwise the lone racer would have done better. Maybe everyone else have icosahedron vehicles driving around their neighborhoods all the time.

mjc613

Re: Playful Puppy

Welcome back Deliverance! I think this would have made a bigger splash earlier on, but it's great to see your work here regardless.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
mjc613 wrote:Welcome to the world of the rejectionator. It's their party; we just come to drink the booze.

MJC! I think this is the funniest post I've read this derby!

mjc613

JadenKale wrote:There is no way this can be separated into 6 colors. Yes, you have red, green orange and white, but then you have a metalic silver with shadows (there are at least 2 colors of grey/silver there) The blacks have gradient shadows, and then you have grey and flesh tone in the face that's in there. You can't use a photo to make an entry for the design since they print in color separations, so even if they remove the RPM (which they don't do, you would have to remove any questionable part of the design and resubmit) you would still get rejected because they do not currently print true gradients, nor can they separate colors that are from a photo (like the RPM guage). The colors need to be separated by you before you submit your design.

The worst part of this rejection is that 3 people took time (and look at how much energy JK used for this!) to explain woot's rules to the entrant, and he basically told us to buzz offl. You don't want to ignore new people, but this case is a very poor return on effort to help.

mjc613

Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=13610]

I am sorry this came in so late. Woot definitely could use some more colorful shirts. This definitely is not gray.

Bin4givn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bin4givn

I am new to Woot and noticed the few derbies I have followed that the designs I love are almost always on shirt colors I hate. I am debating if I could make myself wear this color shirt. I tend to wear black and jewel tones, very few pastels. They make me look sick. But then, what looks good on me does not work for everyone either.

The expressions on the orbs are great. I know someone like each of them. I hope it makes the cut just on the principle. Then I will most likely debate getting it until it is sold out.

Bin4givn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bin4givn

I am new to Woot and noticed the few derbies I have followed that the designs I love are almost always on shirt colors I hate. I am debating if I could make myself wear this color shirt. I tend to wear black and jewel tones, very few pastels. They make me look sick. But then, what looks good on me does not work for everyone either.

The expressions on the orbs are great. I know someone like each of them. I hope it makes the cut just on the principle. Then I will most likely debate getting it until it is sold out.

Turbotuff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Turbotuff
Re: Desert Eagle .50 AE

I like it cuz I played CS for so long but I could never wear a gun...

etripoli

quality posts: 18 Private Messages etripoli

This illustration deserves to be in the fog. It is definitely waaay better than army men, mammoths, or apples. I wish I could give those shirts a thumbs-down.

Keep up the great art!

highgrassfarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highgrassfarm
Re: go icosahedron racer go!

Due to lack of interest, icosahedron racer will be retired. Watch for the return of the evil pandabot!

JustJiggles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles

Isn't this still baby blue? That picture is supposed to be Royal?

ejseader

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ejseader
Re: Ketchup

Wow...this is buttery croissant. Sorry, just calling it as I see it.

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow

ejseader

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ejseader
ejseader wrote:Wow...this is buttery croissant. Sorry, just calling it as I see it.

DAMN YOU, FILTERS!

"buttery croisant" = L-A-M-E

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow

Caligumby

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Caligumby

Vote Cho for President of Woot!!

On second thought, Woot should have a derby next week or the week after where the designers name is not shown and if the designer says who he or she is, the shirt is rejected..

Then, after Cho wins, it will be revealed only to show people they are morons for all of their conspiracy theories.

ppremont

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ppremont
Re: Plane on a Treadmill!

Sheesh, don't you have any respect for the laws of physics?
Nice shirt though.

Bring back the 4 O'Clock Flash!!!

kadaan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kadaan

Only shirt to get my vote so far this derby. Simple and beautiful, love it! Like the other commenters, I really hope it makes another appearance in a future derby and wins!

Great work!

sokowa

Bin4givn wrote:I am new to Woot and noticed the few derbies I have followed that the designs I love are almost always on shirt colors I hate. I am debating if I could make myself wear this color shirt. I tend to wear black and jewel tones, very few pastels. They make me look sick. But then, what looks good on me does not work for everyone either.

Thanks. Trust me, no more baby blue for me If you like the art, this tends to be my style, so check back weekly!
It may or may not stay in the fog (the back and for is really very funny) but 1-3 seem pretty solid (wave, newton/tree and army men, not listed in any particular order)

netshark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages netshark
etripoli wrote:I wish I could give those shirts a thumbs-down.

Oh if only this were possible.

sokowa

Re: Gravity Discovers Newton

WHAT? I thought this was MUCH further up then it is. Crazy.

mihalis aya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mihalis aya
JustJiggles wrote:Isn't this still baby blue? That picture is supposed to be Royal?

Yeah, that's the shade of royal woot uses. Definately NOT baby blue.

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
2thFairy wrote:What kind of concert?

Embarrassing one. =(

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

emcee2k

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emcee2k
eyeslikesugar wrote:Yeah, l ol! I especially love the one on Wikihow where your name pops up in the results of, doing something...really wrong to children. l ol! =D Poor you. =(

I think it's supposed to be read a "Discuss sex" "with children", not, "Discuss" "sex with children".

crap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crap
haxrox wrote:I just want to say that your username is great. It's hilarious to read your thoughtful insights and then go, "let's see, who wrote this- ah yes, cr.ap." I hope you are someday quoted in scientific literature.

Yeah, its pretty funny they let you create a username, but when you get quoted its censored to "carp". Please vote for this shirt, I want a GREEN shirt and this one is awesome! Id vote for cow tipper but hmmm I think I can only buy 1 brown Cho shirt per week (duck hunt last week). I also like the Marching one by Edgar but that one seems unlikely to get printed...

umbarger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages umbarger
Re: Army in my Pocket Version 2

This shirt would look 100 times better if they were Marines instead. Either way clever design, got my vote!

jkozak31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkozak31

The site just lost 20 bucks because the cowtipper wasnt selected. I know the title does make the shirt but still standing by itself it is far better humor than any other "motion" themed shirt.... GET IT STRAIGHT PEOPLE!

lintbox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lintbox
mihalis aya wrote:Yeah, that's the shade of royal woot uses. Definately NOT baby blue.

aw man, was hoping it'd be on baby blue, the royal blue is too dark.

evitafjord

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evitafjord
sokowa wrote:Thanks. Trust me, no more baby blue for me If you like the art, this tends to be my style, so check back weekly!
It may or may not stay in the fog (the back and for is really very funny) but 1-3 seem pretty solid (wave, newton/tree and army men, not listed in any particular order)

Well, if it does not get printed this week, I NEED you to resub it next week. See, the ball on the far right represents my 3-year-old and the four on the left are his siblings. It's perfect for MY Mother's Day ;) and if it does get printed this week (or next), then I will wear it on Mother's Day. Surely there is some other way to tie it to mom. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

sokowa

evitafjord wrote:Well, if it does not get printed this week, I NEED you to resub it next week. See, the ball on the far right represents my 3-year-old and the four on the left are his siblings. It's perfect for MY Mother's Day ;) and if it does get printed this week (or next), then I will wear it on Mother's Day. Surely there is some other way to tie it to mom. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

*giggles*, or give me an email and you can have a desktop image at least (providing that's cool with woot)

Seattlejo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Seattlejo
Re: Help From A (Big) Friend

This is really well done. I'd wear it.

Headrow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Headrow
Re: Army in my Pocket Version 2

I think it makes perfect sense that all the guys look alike and that the parachuters are mirrored. I thought it worked because I always thought of them as the little green army men (which was why I liked the brown better), which are essentially identical.

There's a difference between constructive criticism and insults. Sometimes it's a fine line, but we can always be more kind...

Caligumby

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Caligumby
jkozak31 wrote:The site just lost 20 bucks because the cowtipper wasnt selected. I know the title does make the shirt but still standing by itself it is far better humor than any other "motion" themed shirt.... GET IT STRAIGHT PEOPLE!

Lost my money too. I was gonna buy this one..