IncurableHumanist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages IncurableHumanist
Re: The Sex Drugs



YES!!! It's finally in the fog!!!
PLZ surpass one of the three oh so mediocore designs and make it to print!
PLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZ

This shirt, Space Crabs and Watch Out For Bears were the best designs in this derby (in order)

acceptablerisk


quality posts: 2 Private Messages acceptablerisk
re: the sex drugs



The hotness shows this with a big push over them Monsters of Cowbell in the closing moments of the derby. I suspect we'll find out for real on Sunday.

IncurableHumanist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages IncurableHumanist
nanojohn wrote:This is by far the best entry in the whole derby and I'm quite sad that this won't print. My only hope is that the author will try to print this elsewhere.



This was one of my favorites for this derby and I'm so sad it didn't get more votes. What I liked most about it was that it worked as more than just a "band tee", it's also just a funny little reminder.
If this is resubmitted anywhere I'm snatching it up quickly!

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
homeschoolwinner wrote:Thank you! I am very happy to hear that.

It's pretty obvious, though, that it won't print...breaks my heart! But if I got this printed elsewhere, maybe spreadshirt, would anyone be interested?



Yep.

ctdemonet


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ctdemonet
dlcramer99 wrote:I think its to late to fix and resubmit. My 9-5 wouldnt help me doing so anyway. I should have known better. Had and idea and did it to fast to think about it.

Thanks for all the comments. Besides my language mistake, I am glad it is taken as I intended and not offending. Besides I think its the most votes I have recieved in such a short time. Wish I would have thought of the idea earlier.



Don't even worry about it -- I'm just happy you came up with such a sweet design
The Farsi that the other guy posted really does say "All Iranian Rejects"
I could break it down for someone if they really wanted...

ctdemonet


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ctdemonet
Re: No music allowed?



Don't even worry about it -- I'm just happy you came up with such a sweet design
The Farsi that the other guy posted really does say "All Iranian Rejects"
I could break it down for someone if they really wanted...

L3g3ndQ


quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
Re: The Sex Drugs



Come on more votes!! push this shirt to the top where it belongs!!!!!

Antonotron


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Antonotron
davidlichtman wrote:But ringworm is a rash, not a worm.



i know that -- but a worm is much more straightforward and easier to convey in a drawing and... and... oh, shut up! :P

mschaos


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mschaos

I am digging this

nbouscal


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbouscal
anthrochick wrote:Arguing that business is less important to humanity than art, particularly on the basis of when these institutions came into being, is fundamentally flawed.



Your argument is terrible. Yes, commerce originated before art, but that doesn't actually mean anything. At all. We developed speech before we developed symbols and writing, woohoo. That says nothing about their respective levels of importance. Keep in mind when you're talking about humans who had trade but not art, you're looking at the range from 200,000 BC to 40,000 BC (or 70,000 BC if you count the stones from Blombos cave). Though the people who lived in that time period were H. sapiens, you cannot draw parallels between their society and ours, it just doesn't make any sense to. Further, your argument is like saying that Proxima Centauri is "more important" than Sol. Age and importance are not the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, I actually agree with you to some extent. I just really hate when people use terrible arguments. :-)

nbouscal


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbouscal
bellarific wrote:Alright, I have to say this before voting closes. I've been thinking it all week, and even though all my friends disagree with me, I just have to get it out.

I really don't like this design. I mean, the concept is....alright and all. I just.....I think it's kind of pixelated looking, but it doesn't necessarily look intentional. The type just looks stamped in the center because that's the first place anyone thinks to put type, not because it's serving a higher purpose for the aesthetic or concept of the design.

I just think most of this shirt design looks rushed, and it would serve it well to.....clean it up some. But, that's just my opinion, and it looks like there are more than enough people who are totally happy with it, so congratulations anyway.



I definitely have to agree. I mean, I hate the shirt as is because it's off-theme (looks like a math club shirt) and the artist is a prick... but even if that wasn't the case, the design is just weak. The sad thing is, it's going to print over some incredible designs (Sex Drugs, Space Crabs, Eucalytpus Melancholy), and I doubt it'll actually even sell well. Very disappointing.

KUClerks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
Re: Galactic Riffed



phallic what what? LOL

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
L3g3ndQ wrote:Come on more votes!! push this shirt to the top where it belongs!!!!!



Um, voting ended at 12 central.

AliCat713


quality posts: 1 Private Messages AliCat713
JordanTG wrote:I can't believe A)the Pi shirt is ahead of this, and B)People aren't digging this illustration.

Sorry Drakxxx, i personally love it.



Agreed. If/When you decide to take this to cameesa, Draxxx, you'll have my $$. Sorry that this didn't get back into the fog, but it seems like the voters were way fickle this round.

AliCat713


quality posts: 1 Private Messages AliCat713
Re: Slave of the Senses



Very sorry to see that this didn't re-fog. Top-notch illustration that was maybe *too* professional for this derby! If you decide to take this elsewhere, do let me know. I'll be happy to support it at cameesa or another site.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
nbouscal wrote:Your argument is terrible. Yes, commerce originated before art, but that doesn't actually mean anything. At all. We developed speech before we developed symbols and writing, woohoo. That says nothing about their respective levels of importance. Keep in mind when you're talking about humans who had trade but not art, you're looking at the range from 200,000 BC to 40,000 BC (or 70,000 BC if you count the stones from Blombos cave). Though the people who lived in that time period were H. sapiens, you cannot draw parallels between their society and ours, it just doesn't make any sense to. Further, your argument is like saying that Proxima Centauri is "more important" than Sol. Age and importance are not the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, I actually agree with you to some extent. I just really hate when people use terrible arguments. :-)



You misread her argument - she said basically what you said right in the piece you quoted - "Arguing that business is less important to humanity than art, particularly on the basis of when these institutions came into being, is fundamentally flawed." She said that it's FLAWED to argue the importance based on when they "came into being". The argument she was responding to was doing that, claiming that art came before commerce and therefore art is more important. She said that commerce actually came first, but it's stupid to argue based on that anyway.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Warez


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Warez
PSORngr wrote:I would vote for and buy this if the band name wasn't "The SexDrugs"...

Same here. Great shirt otherwise.

CalmlyBallistic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages CalmlyBallistic
Re: The Probable Error of a Mean



It sounds more like an album by Tool

nbouscal


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbouscal
eHalcyon wrote:You misread her argument - she said basically what you said right in the piece you quoted - "Arguing that business is less important to humanity than art, particularly on the basis of when these institutions came into being, is fundamentally flawed." She said that it's FLAWED to argue the importance based on when they "came into being". The argument she was responding to was doing that, claiming that art came before commerce and therefore art is more important. She said that commerce actually came first, but it's stupid to argue based on that anyway.



Gotcha. You're right, I misunderstood. Though, in my defense, she could have been significantly clearer as to her point. I read "particularly on the basis of" as "particularly considering" as that had seemed to be the message of the rest of her entire post. My mistake.

I might also add that the post she was originally criticizing had very little to do with whether commerce or art came first, the only phrase to that effect being "People have created since the dawn of time," which was more of a generic ode to creativity than anything. Hence, my confusion.

L3g3ndQ


quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
yankeebird wrote:Um, voting ended at 12 central.



whats odd is that it was still voting going on when i started that post so it was a lil to late B^P

leonryan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages leonryan
yankeebird wrote:Yeah, this is definitely going to be a close finish. There's some serious last-minute voting going on here.

To the artist, a question. Is this your first entry? If it is, major congratulations! I agree with someone way up there in the comments who said they thought it was a tgentry... when I saw the thumbnail, that's what I thought. I also see that you've got many of the "big names" (as I think of them) commenting and complimenting your work. It even appears that AdderXYU doesn't hate you, and that's a pretty decent accomplishment!

Wishing you luck on a print this week, and even if you end up in 4th, that's a great accomplishment for your first derby (assuming, like I said, that this was your first) and I think you could easily get this printed on Cameesa if you don't end up with an HM.



Yeah this is my first derby, and my nerves are totally shredded. I've barely done anything all week but refresh and check my position. It's been torture.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
L3g3ndQ wrote:whats odd is that it was still voting going on when i started that post so it was a lil to late B^P



The Hotness remains populated for 3 hours after voting ends, since it shows votes in the last three hours. Voting automatically ends right at noon central.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

fablefire


quality posts: 22 Private Messages fablefire
Re: Botanical Beard



I'm bummed this one didn't do better. HM and EC pick plz?

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Re: Botanical Beard



If no HM cometh, I think GoodJoe would be a good place for this design.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

genericsmith


quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith
Re: Monsters Of Cowbell World Tour



So any chance of the band picking me up on the way to their Kansas stop? Some drunk driver "Monster Truck'd" my car (sadly, seriously) so I need a ride to the show.

Between hassles with insurance, rental car company problems (namely a company that should have the planet Uranus in front of their name), and the horror of having to go car shopping... I NEED this shirt to print.

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

gargrazz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gargrazz
genericsmith wrote:So any chance of the band picking me up on the way to their Kansas stop? Some drunk driver "Monster Truck'd" my car (sadly, seriously) so I need a ride to the show.



Sure, but is it cool if they drop you off a couple blocks away? They get totally embarrassed when they're spotted carpooling with fans to the show.

HeartlineTwist


quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
Re: Infinite Pi



This REALLY didn't have enough put into it to make it look even halfway like a music or band related shirt.

And no, saying there's math in music doesn't count.

dennisdeems


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dennisdeems

Congratulations leonryan! I'm so glad the design has made it this far. I agree with the others who have mentioned the size. I think it would look better on the shirt if it were knocked down about 10 or 15 percent. I wonder if that's something woot would allow?

chrisbarbar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisbarbar
leonryan wrote:Yeah this is my first derby, and my nerves are totally shredded. I've barely done anything all week but refresh and check my position. It's been torture.



I've been refreshing all week too! I have only bought a couple shirts this last few weeks just because I needed a Woot fix. Now if this wins I can really look forward to getting my 3 in the mail. Fingers crossed still!

leonryan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages leonryan
dennisdeems wrote:Congratulations leonryan! I'm so glad the design has made it this far. I agree with the others who have mentioned the size. I think it would look better on the shirt if it were knocked down about 10 or 15 percent. I wonder if that's something woot would allow?



i just emailed joel and sent him a corrected file with the size slightly reduced, so fingers crossed if i'm lucky enough to get printed that'll be the version they use.

genericsmith


quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith
gargrazz wrote:Sure, but is it cool if they drop you off a couple blocks away? They get totally embarrassed when they're spotted carpooling with fans to the show.



I completely understand. It's much appreciated.



The spring was a souvenir from the Jeep that did it... At least my car fought back.

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

anthrochick


quality posts: 0 Private Messages anthrochick

[quote postid="3300531" user="nbouscal"]Your argument is terrible. Yes, commerce originated before art, but that doesn't actually mean anything. At all. We developed speech before we developed symbols and writing, woohoo. That says nothing about their respective levels of importance. Keep in mind when you're talking about humans who had trade but not art, you're looking at the range from 200,000 BC to 40,000 BC (or 70,000 BC if you count the stones from Blombos cave). Though the people who lived in that time period were H. sapiens, you cannot draw parallels between their society and ours, it just doesn't make any sense to. Further, your argument is like saying that Proxima Centauri is "more important" than Sol. Age and importance are not the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, I actually agree with you to some extent. I just really hate when people use terrible arguments. :-)[/quote

You definitely misread me, which is understandable: sometimes my phrasing is weird, plain and simple. As to the caliber of my argument, I believe my main point was as Halcyon described.

We can, and do, draw many parallels between the possible cultures of early H. sapiens and modern H. sapiens in an effort to better understand where we have come from, where we are, and where we could possibly be going. This is not to say that drawing these parallels implies our cultures are identical in any way, it is merely a tool used to increase our knowledge of ourselves.

matvell


quality posts: 0 Private Messages matvell
bellarific wrote:Noooooooo! Knock the pi and Cowbell out of the top four!!! I summon 300 people (who've made a purchase on woot before) to come to Artulo's aid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



I dont want that other junk to win!!! go PB AND J!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bennyIV


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bennyIV

ah well, serves me right for not paying attention. for the record, the blob is a leaf which reminded me of a heart, so i thought it fit the subtle symbolism of human/tree relations. hehe.

mostly though, it just kinda looks awesome. all my "art" is intensely photoshopped pictures that i or my friends have taken. which makes awesome stuff a little hard to come by, so... ya.

superjacinthebox


quality posts: 0 Private Messages superjacinthebox
re: bunny holly



So freakin cute!

unclemax


quality posts: 8 Private Messages unclemax
thomasofhunter wrote:It is actually the band name my friend and I came up with for our Rockband band name. It comes from the theme song from a show called "Perfect Hair Forever." In the lyrics, it says "Watch out for bears; to them you are spaghetti dinner."
I've always loved how ridiculously obvious the line "Watch out for bears" sounds.



Wow, it's a great shirt AND a Perfect Hair Forever reference? I love it even more now. I agree with all those above, if this gets printed anyplace else, I need to pick one up.

Tontogoldstein


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tontogoldstein
Re: The Eucalyptus Melancholy



Sorry no fog! please make this shirt... i will buy it

acceptablerisk


quality posts: 2 Private Messages acceptablerisk
leonryan wrote:i just emailed joel and sent him a corrected file with the size slightly reduced, so fingers crossed if i'm lucky enough to get printed that'll be the version they use.



By corrected, do you mean with the cymbal moved to the front? I like it better in the back. He's a robot; it's not like he couldn't still hit it if he wanted to.

camoor


quality posts: 1 Private Messages camoor
leonryan wrote:Yeah this is my first derby, and my nerves are totally shredded. I've barely done anything all week but refresh and check my position. It's been torture.



Seriously? You're too talented man. I think you'll do just fine in these derbies, I'm glad to see some really fine designs coming back into the competitions!

camoor


quality posts: 1 Private Messages camoor
Re: now appearing in Seattle, Portland, NY, San Fran..



How do you hide your money from a Phish fan?

Put it under the soap.