transformingegg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages transformingegg

Gosh, I love the Shirt.Woot Community! Standards are kept, but it is such a great place to learn.

The communication and support from the woot team and other forum regular contributors is just fantastic!

Keep it up everyone. I am so very thankful for you all.

minimnm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages minimnm
ochopika wrote:It's just too similar to an existing design on Threadless. We try to avoid printing designs that are similar to existing designs in order to keep our content unique. This isn't a legal or copyright concern, just a tenant of Shirt.Woot that we do our best to stick to. Don't get discouraged though!

Thank you for responding.

I still disagree on it being too similar to the Threadless shirt, though. I believe the GITD aspect makes it unique. I have not seen another glow-in-the-dark, Nightmare Before Christmas shirt with this layout.

As for the Threadless shirt, it is no longer available to purchase as far as I can tell. Therefore, my design, if printed, would still be unique content on the current market.

I believe that my design meets your qualifications and the way the voting was going it probably would sell well.

Please consider my appeal.

minimnm

thatquietgir1 wrote:I've never seen a design be un-rejected...

There's always a first

Narfcake

quality posts: 384 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

minimnm wrote:...
As for the Threadless shirt, it is no longer available to purchase as far as I can tell. Therefore, my design, if printed, would still be unique content on the current market. ...

The aforementioned design originated from
Threadless' Nightmare Before Christmas design challenge. There were licensing agreements and it's a design that Disney compensated for -- which means they own it. Designs don't have to exact to be in legal limbo; if printed, you could be dealing with Disney's legal.

Are your pockets deep enough defend against them? Per the contracts here, artists still own the design but Woot has the printing rights.

Always remember that any time there's intellectual property involved, the odds of a rejection stamp will increase. To partially quote one shirt's write up, "traversing through Copyright Valley is sort of dangerous ...". (The rest of it was more tongue-in-cheek about the artist, however.)

I understand that time was spent on this and the rejection stamp is an ouch -- but many artists have had their designs rejected for one reason or another. It's part of the learning curve here.

(Do note that in no way have I been associated with Woot. I'm just a customer who's bought waaaaaay too many shirts over the years and spent waaaaaay too much time here, so I've learned a thing or three about how things have or have not worked.)

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and premium options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

acraigl

quality posts: 188 Private Messages acraigl
Inatangle wrote:I don't understand this one... but you sure have my curiosity up. I wonder what I'm missing?

The Deathly Hallows is a Harry Potter reference.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 56 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
lonelypond wrote:so much snorting laughter

Glad you like it, lonelypond!

fishbiscuit5

anemality wrote:...is that a mimikyuu.

Ha, my son thought the same thing!

fishbiscuit5

Inatangle wrote:Very clever! Love the "pumpkin!"

Pumpkinball! Gotta catch 'em all!

fishbiscuit5

hdps wrote:Heh. Clever. And I'm not a MLP fan.

Thanks!

fishbiscuit5

Inatangle wrote:I totally agree! gmv

Thanks for the vote, inatangle!

fishbiscuit5

Inatangle wrote:C'est adorable! Candy corn & a kitty cat... two of my favorite subjects!

Mine too! Thanks for the positive comments each week.

fishbiscuit5

Narfcake wrote:The reason indeed is that similar shirts exist. And before there are more cries of foul, there has been precendence that involved lawyers when it came to having similar ideas. Shirt.woot must err on the safe side to avoid that again.

- Precendence on using "clip art", which was not properly licensed for use.

- Precendence on tracing.

- A short discussion on celebrity likeness.

Using other shirt sites to justify "fair use" doesn't stand here as the printing rights are perpetual versus the other sites which just "purchase printing rights for a day".

When it comes to the "we can't print this" rejections, it's usually due to IP and the only real way around that is to go the licensing route that Threadless and TeeTurtle has taken -- which is probably unlikely to happen here.

Don't get discouraged. One artist here had her very first derby submission rejected -- but she kept at it, taking in advice from others, learning what works and what doesn't ... and several months later, she printed. Then again. And again.

I would go so far to say that @fishbiscuit5 is one of the greatest shirt.woot derby successes ever.

Thanks for the shout out, narf! minimnm, there are unwritten rules of the derby that are different from printing on other sites. Woot has their reasons and we accept them as part of the derby game. Stick around and keep at it. You'll get the hang of it. I've been rejected plenty of times, but I still keep coming back.

minimnm

Narfcake wrote:The aforementioned design originated from
Threadless' Nightmare Before Christmas design challenge. There were licensing agreements and it's a design that Disney compensated for -- which means they own it. Designs don't have to exact to be in legal limbo; if printed, you could be dealing with Disney's legal.

Are your pockets deep enough defend against them? Per the contracts here, artists still own the design but Woot has the printing rights.

Always remember that any time there's intellectual property involved, the odds of a rejection stamp will increase. To partially quote one shirt's write up, "traversing through Copyright Valley is sort of dangerous ...". (The rest of it was more tongue-in-cheek about the artist, however.)

Ochopika already said it was not a legal or copyright concern.

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

fishbiscuit5 wrote:Thanks for the shout out, narf! minimnm, there are unwritten rules of the derby that are different from printing on other sites. Woot has their reasons and we accept them as part of the derby game. Stick around and keep at it. You'll get the hang of it. I've been rejected plenty of times, but I still keep coming back.

I just realized your second derby submission ever was also rejected too -- and again, you took it in stride, accepted the reason, moved on and kept on drawing. I do believe that the only rejection reason you have NOT received is the one for "No print ready art provided." ... but maybe just a matter of time? Gotta catch 'em all, y'know.

(Then again, maybe that reason was only used once ...)

I am going to be nice and NOT post either of them, though. Instead, after 8 months of submitting, here's the shirt that did print - 6 years (and 1 day) ago.

Coffee Stain Cats

Also:

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and premium options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

ochopika

quality posts: 31 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

minimnm wrote:Ochopika already said it was not a legal or copyright concern.

When I see tattles with "similar shirts exist", I look at the similar designs then decide if the derby entry is too close to the existing shirts. My intention is just to maintain unique designs on our site. I didn't look into the legal issues here until reading into all the comments, but yes they're also valid concerns. If you make a design with a similar concept but that looks different enough from the design referenced (and doesn't contain any copyrighted visuals) then I won't reject it. I'm not a horrible monster or anything. =^_^=

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

ochopika wrote:... I'm not a horrible monster or anything. =^_^=

I'm picturing you as your huggable mechaoctopus right now.

Free Hugs

Inatangle

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Inatangle
Re: The Deathly Halloweens

acraigl wrote:The Deathly Hallows is a Harry Potter reference.

Missed it!

I've read all of the Harry Potter books and seen most of the movies, but it has been awhile... Thanks Acraig1!

CrumblinCookie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CrumblinCookie
Re: Scary Night

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone! I didn't expect such an amazing feedback.

allenhop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages allenhop
Re: Away Team

TRICK OR TREK

minimnm

ochopika wrote:When I see tattles with "similar shirts exist", I look at the similar designs then decide if the derby entry is too close to the existing shirts. My intention is just to maintain unique designs on our site. I didn't look into the legal issues here until reading into all the comments, but yes they're also valid concerns. If you make a design with a similar concept but that looks different enough from the design referenced (and doesn't contain any copyrighted visuals) then I won't reject it. I'm not a horrible monster or anything. =^_^=

I don't think you are a horrible monster I have been rejected before and each one was a valid reason. Even my first "similar shirts exist", I agreed that it was just too similar. But I clearly can't convince you, and even if I could, you won't undo the rejection.

I do suggest, to save the artist heartache, your time and efforts, and not to mention all the people who are hoping for a print, do your rejections BEFORE it ends up in the Fog of War.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 16 Private Messages benjaminleebates
minimnm wrote:I don't think you are a horrible monster I have been rejected before and each one was a valid reason. Even my first "similar shirts exist", I agreed that it was just too similar. But I clearly can't convince you, and even if I could, you won't undo the rejection.

I do suggest, to save the artist heartache, your time and efforts, and not to mention all the people who are hoping for a print, do your rejections BEFORE it ends up in the Fog of War.

This has been a repeated complaint for many years. Woot once rejected designs the moment that it was submitted if IP or similar shirt was apparent.
I do not know if we have less knowledge tattle tails, if there is a smaller force of contributors that take note, if woot has changed their MO, or what? But, they seem to have taken a more gentle touch to rejecting, and rarely doing it unless the IP is OBVIOUS or the shirt gets a bunch of tattles.
I'm sure others will add their ideas about the why, but I doubt they will challenge the change in frequency.
On your point, tho, I do agree.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 283 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: The Halloween Fox

It's a classic woot layout, but darn it if it doesn't still work. The patented fablefire appeal is irresistable. :^)

KitKat10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KitKat10

I was really hoping this design would do better. I wanted to dress up all my kids as an away team for Halloween!

jcbroyes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcbroyes
djlushious wrote:I love this shirt! I hope it gets printed. However, I can't remember/recognize what movie the upside-down head is? Is it The Thing?

Toy Story - the neighbor kid who dismembers dolls & mixes the parts up???

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thatquietgir1
Inatangle wrote:Ah... Ugly Sweaters, the Halloween Version! gmv

ty!

maraich

quality posts: 3 Private Messages maraich
Re: Nine Lives

This is so cool. I can never have too many cat shirts.

maraich

quality posts: 3 Private Messages maraich
Re: No Treats for You

Bat kitty could use some love.

I also have a question - I've noticed some designs appear to have more than six colors. Is this allowed for more experienced designers, or am I misunderstanding the requirements?

Inatangle

Re: Beep or Boop!

I choose Boooooooooo......p!

Inatangle

Re: Candy Spirit

Cute one! gmv

Inatangle

KitKat10 wrote:I was really hoping this design would do better. I wanted to dress up all my kids as an away team for Halloween!

Did my part... voted for it.

At first glance it doesn't look like a Halloween wall. Maybe you should have named it "Away Team Costume."

Inatangle

Re: Candy Corn

This one is fun, especially if you love candy corn!

acraigl

quality posts: 188 Private Messages acraigl
maraich wrote:Bat kitty could use some love.

I also have a question - I've noticed some designs appear to have more than six colors. Is this allowed for more experienced designers, or am I misunderstanding the requirements?

Nope, 6 max colors is the rule. That said, more experienced designers have mad half-toning skills and can make almost unlimited colors by doing so. When it's obvious, it's usually called out, but mostly it's just half-tone magic making it appear that way.

HenrikMas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HenrikMas

Hello Woot community. This is my first picture, that I upload to this site. I hope its creepy and you like it.

mcobutte

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mcobutte
Re: mushroom eater

Creepy yes, but needs to be on a tee template, otherwise this great design can't. Print

transformingegg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages transformingegg
Re: mushroom eater

Wow! Great Skills! How many colors were used here? only allowed to use 6.

lonelypond

quality posts: 667 Private Messages lonelypond

fablefire

quality posts: 37 Private Messages fablefire
Spiritgreen wrote:It's a classic woot layout, but darn it if it doesn't still work. The patented fablefire appeal is irresistable. :^)

We will see. Getting 4th or 8th when you think it's solid is also pretty classic woot lol... XD

Thanks everyone! :D

lisaferrisstokes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lisaferrisstokes
Re: Boogieman Nightmare

This was a really good one!! too bad it was rejected!!

lisaferrisstokes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lisaferrisstokes
Re: "Super" Scared

Love this one too!!

soupgirl72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soupgirl72
scrabblefish wrote:Clowns don't normally get to me, but this one.. *shivers*

That is the clown from Steven King's IT, and he is talking to the little girl from the grudge :o) Supper creepy, even in death the only little kid in the room is still attracted to the bad clown, (or the bad clown is still creeping up on the little kid . . .creepy any way you look at it
P.S. LOVE THIS SHIRT!!