acraigl

quality posts: 185 Private Messages acraigl
Inatangle wrote:I agree with you.

Why do people submit entries to Derbies when there's only a day or two left to vote on them? Especially when the design is as good as this one is? Why don't they save a late design for another derby, especially when a design that's entered in more than one Derby can be rejected?

I'd love some feedback on this question, because it's been perplexing me for months!

This one looks like it took a week to make. They probably just finished.

VOTE! >>

Inatangle

quality posts: 127 Private Messages Inatangle
Re: The Cookiefather - Don Corlecookie

giraffalot wrote:I have to disagree with this with every fibre in me. It may be much more useful for the artist to offer some honest critique of their design rather than bombard them with praise for a design that was below standard. Unless you know something we don't and they are a very young artist. I'll assume they are not and offer these points.

1. The design is stolen from somebody else's original artwork. Copied or traced.

2. The text content does not match the image. Why would the Godfather worry about computer cookies being deleted?

3. The Godfather was not 1960's. Off topic.

4. The font overlaying the image is cluttered and difficult to read. It is a different blue to the monster which clashes.

5. The image is pixelated, suggesting that it is a low resolution image stretched from a smaller one and inappropriate for high resolution printing.

6. The illustration is in my opinion not up to a standard we come to expect these days. It is certainly not "the most well executed and creatively drawn" that I have seen.

This is just my opinion.

Whoa!

I am not a shirt artist, and I have never claimed to be. I do design computer wallpapers for a wallpaper website, (I'm self taught) but that's a whole different ballgame. I'm not limited to 6 colors, and I don't have to worry about whether my designs can successfully be reproduced on fabric. That being said;

The design does not look pixelated to me. I also believe it's their own original design...as I said, I did look for it online and couldn't find it.

I've done some PMing with SevenArts. Unless SevenArts misrepresented himself, I believe that they are just beginning to design.

Beginning designers can use constructive comments, yes. But imo, you came down on him pretty hard, especially with your accusation that they stole this design.

Actually, you stomped on my foot pretty hard also. When I said that the design was well executed and creatively drawn, I was referring to the "delete cookies" designs that I found after considerable googling. If you can find and show me this exact design, I will stand corrected.

Giraffalot, I like to encourage and support shirt artists, especially the ones who are just getting started. I've always tried to make it clear that I'm not a shirt designer. If I have not succeeded in disclaiming any expertise in shirt design, maybe this post will do it. I don't want to mislead any artist about who I am and how qualified I am to comment or not to comment. I hope that I haven't done that.

Now Giraffalot, I have a question for you. Just for curiosity's sake.

You haven't been on this website for very long, but as far as your designing goes, you really seem to know your stuff. I'd like to know more about you. How do you know so much about designing? Did you go to school for graphic design training or something?

I ask in part, because most people who start designing for Shirt Woot don't get a Derby win so quickly.

(I'll be checking to see if you responded after I'm off work...unfortunately, I've made myself late to work already writing all of this. Fortunately, I work for a family business. Bye for now!)

giraffalot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages giraffalot
Inatangle wrote:Whoa!

I am not a shirt artist, and I have never claimed to be. I do design computer wallpapers for a wallpaper website, (I'm self taught) but that's a whole different ballgame. I'm not limited to 6 colors, and I don't have to worry about whether my designs can successfully be reproduced on fabric. That being said;

The design does not look pixelated to me. I also believe it's their own original design...as I said, I did look for it online and couldn't find it.

I've done some PMing with SevenArts. Unless SevenArts misrepresented himself, I believe that they are just beginning to design.

Beginning designers can use constructive comments, yes. But imo, you came down on him pretty hard, especially with your accusation that they stole this design.

Actually, you stomped on my foot pretty hard also. When I said that the design was well executed and creatively drawn, I was referring to the "delete cookies" designs that I found after considerable googling. If you can find and show me this exact design, I will stand corrected.

Giraffalot, I like to encourage and support shirt artists, especially the ones who are just getting started. I've always tried to make it clear that I'm not a shirt designer. If I have not succeeded in disclaiming any expertise in shirt design, maybe this post will do it. I don't want to mislead any artist about who I am and how qualified I am to comment or not to comment. I hope that I haven't done that.

Now Giraffalot, I have a question for you. Just for curiosity's sake.

You haven't been on this website for very long, but as far as your designing goes, you really seem to know your stuff. I'd like to know more about you. How do you know so much about designing? Did you go to school for graphic design training or something?

I ask in part, because most people who start designing for Shirt Woot don't get a Derby win so quickly.

(I'll be checking to see if you responded after I'm off work...unfortunately, I've made myself late to work already writing all of this. Fortunately, I work for a family business. Bye for now!)

Wasn't stamping on anyone's foot, just offering my opinion. It seemed like a lot of praise for a sub-standard piece, and I thought it would help the artist more for their next submissions if they were offered some guidance instead. I tried to only give factual criticisms. A comment just before yours found the original artwork by the original artist. I have always enjoyed drawing (http://talprints.com) and also have worked in TV animation for 15 years being bombarded with the importance of attention to details such as palette and composition and an image's technical and resolution quality. None of that has anything to do with a derby win last week however. I was lucky. My submission was very simple, and I believe the strength was in the idea rather than the quality of artwork. I also submitted at exactly midday to make sure it was in the derby for as long as possible.

--------------------------------
Vote for Dungeons & Dragons!

jupilberry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jupilberry
Narfcake wrote:As for your rejected derby entry from 6-1/2 years ago ... you broke the "no creme" rule, didn't ya?!

You have an exceptional memory or research skills. Crème was allowed 6 1/2 years ago. Let's call it the "no pink" rule.

Narfcake wrote:(One of the biggest ouch rejection probably has to be "Rejected because: No print ready art provided." on a design that placed first.)

There is only one person to blame for that particular rejection.

giraffalot

Inatangle wrote:

Beginning designers can use constructive comments, yes.

When I grow up, I want to be able to draw like this guy ;) http://www.fullyillustrated.com/portfolio/illustration

kg07

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kg07
KitKat10 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions! I know I still have a lot to learn (and practice) with my drawing. I appreciate any and all constructive criticism. I feel like it helps me improve, and that's part of the fun in doing the derbies! 😊 Your note is very appreciated and appropriate!

I think many of us as amateur shirt junkies are in the same boat and we can all improve by giving each other suggestions and supportive criticism/ideas. Good luck in future derbies and feel free to make suggestions about my designs if you see areas for improvement.

Narfcake

quality posts: 381 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

giraffalot wrote:When I grow up, I want to be able to draw like this guy ;) http://www.fullyillustrated.com/portfolio/illustration

Patrick Spens and his shirt.woot catalog.

(Coincidentally, I'm wearing one of his shirts today.)

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and premium options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 16 Private Messages benjaminleebates

ahem...
no no no...
https://www.threadless.com/designs/kingkong-vs-banana-squid

yazmoq

quality posts: 18 Private Messages yazmoq
Inatangle wrote:This is a sweet image, and a clever pun. Definitely one of the better cat entries in this Derby.

(By the way, I just sent you a PM.)

Thank you buddy. I'll check it out. =)

yazmoq

Inatangle wrote:One of my all time favorite movies! How could you do this? This all time classic mashed up with Sta---- oh darn. Can't keep a straight face... LOL :D :D :D :D!

=D

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

jupilberry wrote:You have an exceptional memory or research skills. Crème was allowed 6 1/2 years ago. Let's call it the "no pink" rule.

Hah!

There is only one person to blame for that particular rejection.

True -- and it was a learning lesson. FWIW, that design ultimately did print under the limited C-contract.

(I believe he was the last artist to have a design under that type of contract.)

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and premium options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

yazmoq

benjaminleebates wrote:ahem...
no no no...

I remembered this back from Threadless too. Shouldn't this be okay if it never got printed? Another one of Kooky's entry in this derby did get printed there though.

acraigl

quality posts: 185 Private Messages acraigl
no no no...

I'll need to be educated a bit on threadless... so it was voted as a winner, right? Is it on sale there now? I assume this falls under available on other sites DQ rule?

VOTE! >>

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

no no no...

I don't think it printed.

Designs that didn't print elsewhere are eligible as derby entries.

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

acraigl wrote:I'll need to be educated a bit on threadless... so it was voted as a winner, right? Is it on sale there now? I assume this falls under available on other sites DQ rule?

If it printed, then yes, it's disqualified. If not, and it's not under another site's hold period, then it's game.

pg83161

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pg83161
Re: The Tinmanator

I can't believe this didn't win, and finished just outside of the fog. I was set to buy this TODAY.

Inatangle

Re: The Cookiefather - Don Corlecookie

giraffalot wrote:Wasn't stamping on anyone's foot, just offering my opinion. It seemed like a lot of praise for a sub-standard piece, and I thought it would help the artist more for their next submissions if they were offered some guidance instead. I tried to only give factual criticisms. A comment just before yours found the original artwork by the original artist.

Well, in this case you Did step on my foot. If you wanted to offer YOUR opinion, that is fine. But then why did you put My words in quotes as you did in your point 6. I don't care for having my own words used against me.

I am not convinced that this image is stolen artwork either. You stated that a comment before mine found the original artwork. No, it did not. As I said before, if an Exact image of SevenArts artwork was found on line, I would stand corrected. The comment previous to mine does not show an exact image at all.

If SevenArts Did see that particular image and copy the face freehand, is there anything wrong with that? Perhaps there is. I'm beginning to think that there must be many unwritten rules about Derby entries that I don't know or understand.

It is also possible that SevenArts had seen that image before and didn't realize it. But whatever the case may be, the only person who can explain what happened is SevenArts themselves.

Unfortunately, I'm not at all certain that SevenArts will want to offer an explanation at this point.

In a recent PM to me SevenArts said that they were very glad that people were so open and friendly on ShirtWoot. Now they probably don't know what to think.

Giraffalot, I don't want to have a quarrel with you or anybody else on Shirt Woot. This is not what this is about at all. There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. You are obviously quite experienced in graphic design techniques, and do's and don'ts.

All I ask is that you use a gentler bedside manner when you have comments to offer. Give people the benefit of the doubt too. For example, if SevenArts did copy the face of that design directly from that other artist, maybe they didn't realize that was against the rules.

There are all sorts of people on line. Who knows where they came from, what they know or don't know, and what their artistic experiences are?

I wish you continued luck with your designing... and I'll no doubt see you in the next Derby... which has already started... sigh. In fact you are probably in the thick of it already, unlike me.

Best wishes,

Inatangle

giraffalot

Inatangle wrote:Well, in this case you Did step on my foot. If you wanted to offer YOUR opinion, that is fine. But then why did you put My words in quotes as you did in your point 6. I don't care for having my own words used against me.

I am not convinced that this image is stolen artwork either. You stated that a comment before mine found the original artwork. No, it did not. As I said before, if an Exact image of SevenArts artwork was found on line, I would stand corrected. The comment previous to mine does not show an exact image at all.

If SevenArts Did see that particular image and copy the face freehand, is there anything wrong with that? Perhaps there is. I'm beginning to think that there must be many unwritten rules about Derby entries that I don't know or understand.

It is also possible that SevenArts had seen that image before and didn't realize it. But whatever the case may be, the only person who can explain what happened is SevenArts themselves.

Unfortunately, I'm not at all certain that SevenArts will want to offer an explanation at this point.

In a recent PM to me SevenArts said that they were very glad that people were so open and friendly on ShirtWoot. Now they probably don't know what to think.

Giraffalot, I don't want to have a quarrel with you or anybody else on Shirt Woot. This is not what this is about at all. There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. You are obviously quite experienced in graphic design techniques, and do's and don'ts.

All I ask is that you use a gentler bedside manner when you have comments to offer. Give people the benefit of the doubt too. For example, if SevenArts did copy the face of that design directly from that other artist, maybe they didn't realize that was against the rules.

There are all sorts of people on line. Who knows where they came from, what they know or don't know, and what their artistic experiences are?

I wish you continued luck with your designing... and I'll no doubt see you in the next Derby... which has already started... sigh. In fact you are probably in the thick of it already, unlike me.

Best wishes,

Inatangle

I think you read my posts in too stern an inner voice. Maybe imagine me smiling when you read it. It is none of my business what you or the cookie monster artist do. Sorry for quoting you if that offended you. I'll keep future opinions to myself to be on the safe side. ;) peace, out.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 16 Private Messages benjaminleebates
Narfcake wrote:I don't think it printed.

Designs that didn't print elsewhere are eligible as derby entries.

That's always been a fuzzy point for me... How does woot know that the art from sites like Threadless isn't just ripped off by someone, then subbed to woot?

Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

benjaminleebates wrote:That's always been a fuzzy point for me... How does woot know that the art from sites like Threadless isn't just ripped off by someone, then subbed to woot?

The way I see it is that the check-and-balance is essentially with the art file. It is unlikely that anyone other than the original artist will have a file clean enough for production work.

If an art thief sends in the artwork, it will be clear that the work isn't their own because of its resolution (or lack thereof). Even if they spent some time cleaning it up, it's just not going to look right. Upload to a POD site where nobody looks at the file, yeah - they might get away with it. Upload it to the shirt.woot editor, and she's going to shoot it down.

And if they don't send in the artwork ... well, it's not going to print either.

pg83161

Still wanting this BADLY!

pg83161

Re: Play it again, Venn.

SO clever. I love Venn diagrams!

pg83161

I really wanted this one, too.

Inatangle

pg83161 wrote:I really wanted this one, too.

Usually, any design that ended up in the fog will print and will go on sale shortly after the Derby it was in. And since the "Tinmanator" finished just outside of the fog, there's a possibility that one will print too.

Inatangle

pg83161 wrote:Still wanting this BADLY!

You've GOT them!!! BOTH of your faves have printed!

I hope you know to come back and check your posts!

CrumblinCookie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CrumblinCookie
kg07 wrote:This combines the best of woot (cats) with the best of early cinema. +1

thank you