qetza

quality posts: 3 Private Messages qetza
thebiscuit wrote:If you don't get chosen for print in this Derby, please resubmit your design somewhere. I MUST have this shirt! It's my favorite design in ages!

Lora

Sure thing. It will be at least a couple of months. I will post on my Facebook when it happens. Thanks!

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Vintage Empire

Thanks everyone for you support so far. I was really hoping for this one to make it and start a series, next time maybe...

Grimgate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Grimgate
Re: Goodnight?

So many details! Blows my mind! +1

Hamstur

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Hamstur
Re: Who Fighters

Can we please vote on a 30 day moratorium on TARDISes? How many TARDIS shirts can one person own?

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester
Narfcake wrote:but srsly it's mai blu box.

All we're missing now are some Adder-ized responses and a bunch of fans (or family) countering back.

If need be, I can pinch hit/offer up an Adder-like response. I know that it would essentially be the "Diet-Rite" version, but I've seen it (being the lengthy diatribes) done often enough in the past that I feel I could pull off an approximation. If not that, at least a brief outline of everything wrong with this "design" and why it should have been rejected out of hand.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Curse your late entry. This must print.
:D

move along

thumperchick

quality posts: 248 Private Messages thumperchick
Re: Who Fighters

Ok guys, I don't get the hate. It is because OH MY ██████ ███ another tardis? Or because instead of drawing this by hand, they rendered it? If that's the case - why is that a problem?

No, I'm not trolling. I really don't get why there is a hate wagon on this. (I don't even like the design, I just don't understand.)

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Clever and original. Nice mashup. +1

yiftach

quality posts: 2 Private Messages yiftach
oakenspirit wrote:If this prints, my daughter will have it- :D

Ditto x2 (I have two girls). And it's almost Star Wars Day!

LPyne

quality posts: 4 Private Messages LPyne

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

oakenspirit

quality posts: 92 Private Messages oakenspirit
LPyne wrote:Love! And the title is great too

Thanks so much- Really dig your entry this week too!

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
Re: Imperial Defense Systems

Can't wait to buy it Friday.

Nothing follows.

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris
tjost wrote:Nice but this has been done multiple times on shirts.

This could be posted on most entries these days. Maybe without the "Nice butt" though. I mean, look at the theme. Star Wars. Not exactly the theme for originality. "What's the most over-saturated thing in merchandise and clothing? Yeah, lets do THAT!" Not trying to discredit anyone's entries but if they're worried that someone may have a similar design somewhere, this was the worst possible theme to pick. You want some original ideas, then lay off the same dozen crutches and actually push participants to create original designs. So few people care anymore. I mean, even a STAR WARS theme has 10th place with only just over 100 votes. Where did the other 600+ votes go. Well, people got tired of SIMILAR SHIRTS. "Don't like it, go somewhere else"... well yeah, that's pretty much what's happened. If you weren't interested in another shirt of one of these dozen things, there was nothing to bother with.

rasabi

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rasabi
thumperchick wrote:Ok guys, I don't get the hate. It is because OH MY ██████ ███ another tardis? Or because instead of drawing this by hand, they rendered it? If that's the case - why is that a problem?

No, I'm not trolling. I really don't get why there is a hate wagon on this. (I don't even like the design, I just don't understand.)

TL;DR at bottom, but since someone asked…

Did the artist create the renders themselves? I think that was the main question. If not it would be a stock element, which Woot has consistently rejected in the past. Assuming they did make it, the elements are still largely unaltered, which brings us to the main issue about renders in general.

Renders often all have the same “photorealistic” style. This means the designs often end up looking very generic, and using obvious photoshop filters does not change this. In fact, they almost always end up looking exactly like what you would get if you ran a photo through a photoshop filter (which is consistently rejected).

Because they are generic, it is impossible to tell from a glance if the artist made the image themselves or has the rights to the image. They will always be more heavily scrutinized, which they rightfully should be.

It’s a grey area, and a slippery slope. How much alteration is necessary for their usage to be allowed? Since some of these designs have printed recently, there must be some sort of cut-off point, and only Woot knows it for certain. Compare tbolt’s entry to this one. Both make obvious use of renders and photoshop filters. But for whatever reason tbolt has none of the drama on his page. Is it because the concept is unique enough? More effort was taken in altering the elements with filters? It doesn't have enough votes to print anyway, so Woot will let it take care of itself?

For the record, I’m not trying to get on a high horse. My top seller is visually little more than 2 preexisting images mashed together. But there was an obvious alteration of each and an obvious parody. I would have expected no less scrutiny had I submitted it as a derby entry, and would have been no less surprised at a rejection due to Woot’s weariness at designs involving preexisting design elements.

I personally don’t blame the Tardis use as that’s just the nature of the pop-culture beast. Artists are tired of it, voters are not. The problem I think most have with the Tardis is that it can garner votes for otherwise “meh” concepts.

TL;DR
Woot has a history of disallowing photos or stock imagery due to usage rights and to retain a sort of uniqueness in their designs. You can find GOBS of stock element using designs on print on demand sites because of how quick and easy they are to make, not all of which are being used legally. In the end, renders usually end up looking exactly like a generic photo or stock element, but not always, which is why it is a grey area that the community feels the need to voice their opinions on.

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

rasabi wrote:
TL;DR
Woot has a history of disallowing photos or stock imagery due to usage rights and to retain a sort of uniqueness in their designs. You can find GOBS of stock element using designs on print on demand sites because of how quick and easy they are to make, not all of which are being used legally. In the end, renders usually end up looking exactly like a generic photo or stock element, but not always, which is why it is a grey area that the community feels the need to voice their opinions on.

Yea, can we please get an official definition or re-definition of that rule? I think what bothers most artists is that photos and unoriginal art were strictly rejected until recently. Now it seems like the rule has been lifted but not consistently for every derby entry. If we all know that yes, photos and clipart are officially okay for the derby then at least there won't be that confusion.

There are still other sites that don't allow unoriginal art (meaning elements not created by the artist), so if the rules are more defined then it'll be easier for artists to choose whether or not they want to compete *using* photos and stock 3-d renders.

saltysilver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saltysilver
LPyne wrote:Here's my late entry- includes a Bantha jumping over the moons of Tatooine, a Millennium Falcon clock, lightsaber candlestick holders (Luke's), lightsaber printed curtains (Vader's), and Jabba's barge burning in the fireplace.

well thought out. LOVE IT

lotsofjoy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lotsofjoy

My 10 year old daughter NEEDS this shirt.

No advertising please

Narfcake

quality posts: 292 Private Messages Narfcake
bluejester wrote:If need be, I can pinch hit/offer up an Adder-like response. ...

If you're up for it, go for it. He only commented twice in the rejected entry, but it'll be a challenge to match the 29 posts in the replacement entry.

ochopika wrote:Yea, can we please get an official definition or re-definition of that rule? I think what bothers most artists is that photos and unoriginal art were strictly rejected until recently. Now it seems like the rule has been lifted but not consistently for every derby entry. If we all know that yes, photos and clipart are officially okay for the derby then at least there won't be that confusion. ...

+1. Consistency of the rules is the big aspect here. Shirt.woot has had multiple copyright/licensing issues in the past when it came to re-rendered clip-art - do they want to venture down that route again? The user base isn't nowhere near as big as it used to be and 1000 sales nowadays is like what 2500 used to be; in spite of slightly higher profit margins, I don't think there's enough to pay off any potential lawsuits. This isn't RipT or any of the other one-day-and-done-so-I-don't-care shirt sites - this is shirt.woot.

Some clear rules that the entire Woot community can see, and much more importantly, enforcement of these said rules would go a long ways in keeping this place viable. Yes, some of us have plenty to complain about (hey, no one had to read any of my comments for all of last week because I wasn't even on here!), but that's because we still care.

EvieSuger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EvieSuger

Looks awesome!!!

cdrewlow

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cdrewlow
Re: Empire Calling

I didn't see the Star Wars bands getting any love, so here's I made a Modal Nodes/The Clash mash-up. Hope you dig it.

novels22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages novels22
cdrewlow wrote:I didn't see the Star Wars bands getting any love, so here's I made a Modal Nodes/The Clash mash-up. Hope you dig it.

I like it. I agree - the cantina could use some more love this week in the derby. I hate the updated version of the movie, because they ruined scenes like the cantina scene with new songs and animation. I'm still ticked off at Disney for owning Star Wars.

Grimgate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Grimgate
Re: Empire Bebop

WOW! i can't believe I've gotten so much support! thank you everyone for voting!

novels22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages novels22
spikeani wrote:?

There's a limit to the number of colors you can use on a shirt - I think it's 6. Correct me if I'm mistaken. And it looks like, from just a glance, that your shirt has a few more that six.

awhuy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awhuy
OneGysy wrote:So basically, it *has* to be a parody, AND fan art. My confusion was because I thought this was, in fact, fan art and not a photo. Renderings don't count, then.

Thank you, I appreciate the explanation.

The parody must blatantly fly in the face of the item that is trademarked or copyright.

awhuy

namesjames wrote:I totally understand why it can't print. I think I wrote an explanation for my own amusement.

definitely dont see the parody enough. if it doesnt scream parody, or if it takes more than two short sentences to explain it, an old white guy in a robe won't let it fly in court, and then people start paying legal fees

awhuy

defenestration wrote:There is no parody.

agree. good artist interpretation; no parody

awhuy

theco2 wrote:Seriously? I knew we couldn't escape the stupid blue box; not even in a Star Wars based derby.

I couldn't be more happy to see it get rejected.

on a different note, this actually has good/strong parody. too bad woot likes things more closer to hand-ish drawn than comp-assisted drawn

littleclyde

quality posts: 16 Private Messages littleclyde
Re: Binary Funset

Very cool, lovely color palette. Total summer shirt.

chronon88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chronon88
Re: Perfect Date

Can't stop thinking how they couldn't breath there >.>

If they'd see it from a planet as a moon it'd be a bit more sensible for me ^^"

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester

I've facebook'ed this and twitter shared in the hopes that this gets printed. It's my little girl's favorite book (from what I can tell from a 7mo old) and it would be nice to have a father and daughter copy of this for when she gets older.

slstenson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slstenson

GIMMIE!!!!!!

Re: YODA PANTS

slstenson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slstenson

thumperchick

ghostjam1 wrote:What I would like to know is this:
Can I appeal this decision somehow? Or is it that simple - someone says it's been done before, and that's that?

I am not an authority, but I can say that I have never seen woot "un-reject" a design. You are free to rework the design and 'fix' or 'change' what they have an issue with and resubmit it; though in this case, it will be difficult to add or alter enough to be a "new" concept.

Also, the odds of coming back and fogging with a design this late in the derby... are not in your favor.

Chalk it up to a learning experience and prep for the next one?

thumperchick

ghostjam1 wrote:None of the other designs have the individual color rays coming together to form the rainbow. I think that distinguishes it from the others. It also more closely resembles the cover design of Dark Side of the Moon than any of the other designs.

But I suppose it's all a moot point. It's been done before, and that's apparently all that matters. Simpsons did it, as it were.

Oh, BTW - you are limited to 6 colors in your designs, this includes white. This design looks to have 8. The 6 color rule is a constant - as it is part of their shirt screening process.

cyphermagedragon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyphermagedragon
Re: Inked Hunter

This is really cool =D

Out of curiosity, why was this one rejected? There are a few that were rejected with "Good, but we can't run this", I'm just wondering what the problem with them is?

nathanshields

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nathanshields
Re: Are You Sure?

ha ha!

banjofett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages banjofett

Can I vote on this multiple times? This is AWESOME!!

Narfcake

quality posts: 292 Private Messages Narfcake
banjofett wrote:Can I vote on this multiple times? This is AWESOME!!

I did so for you.

letterq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages letterq
Re: Perfect Date

JUST.... AWESOME O_O

davster13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davster13

great shirt can i buy one now?