agingdragqueen

quality posts: 132 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

dougall wrote:perhaps the staff are listening....

in which case, I'd quite like the 180mm macro, thankyouverymuch.

I'm always listening. But I get first dibs. *shove shove*

dougall

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall
jqubed wrote:With that much range in a single lens, you'd hardly ever need to change it! I have a 28-80 that was a kit with my Rebel 2000, and I have a 70-300 that my parents got me when I graduated from high school. It covers most of what I need, but that fast super wide angle was pretty fantastic.

Except maybe for speed or Image quality

I'm currently tempted by the Tamron 150-600 for wildlife photography and the aforementioned 180 macro for fish, but what I really need is to just get off my butt and go out and use what I have

jqubed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed
agingdragqueen wrote:I'm always listening. But I get first dibs. *shove shove*

As long as we can ride your coattails to the goodies we want. I gotta set up a tracker so I can be alerted sooner if that 50mm lens comes back again (or any other budget-friendly lens).

ⅉℚ Seventh Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

dougall wrote:Except maybe for speed or Image quality

I'm currently tempted by the Tamron 150-600 for wildlife photography and the aforementioned 180 macro for fish, but what I really need is to just get off my butt and go out and use what I have

Have you ever rented? I've used BorrowLenses.com before and found a local camera shop rents for slightly cheaper (much cheaper if you factor in the shipping costs). It's worked well for me the times I've done it. I'd still like to have more lenses in my own arsenal ready to go at a moment's notice, but it's a more cost-effective alternative.

Skye — 1997-2007

dougall

agingdragqueen wrote:I'm always listening. But I get first dibs. *shove shove*

Pshhhhh

I was under the impression that Woot! had enough buying power to extend to 2 $1500 lenses.

;)

dougall

jqubed wrote:Have you ever rented? I've used BorrowLenses.com before and found a local camera shop rents for slightly cheaper (much cheaper if you factor in the shipping costs). It's worked well for me the times I've done it. I'd still like to have more lenses in my own arsenal ready to go at a moment's notice, but it's a more cost-effective alternative.

I've considered, but never actually tried. Maybe I can look into it a little more at some of the local camera stores and see what options I have.

agingdragqueen

Staff

jqubed wrote:As long as we can ride your coattails to the goodies we want. I gotta set up a tracker so I can be alerted sooner if that 50mm lens comes back again (or any other budget-friendly lens).

I promise to alert if I see any come up. The 50mm is probably one of my best fancy-cam purchases!

jqubed

agingdragqueen wrote:I promise to alert if I see any come up. The 50mm is probably one of my best fancy-cam purchases!

What bodies do y'all use? I have a Rebel 2000 (film) my parents got me in 10th grade when I took photography and a 5D (Mark I) I bought used a couple years ago. Someday I hope to upgrade to a used Mark II, but right now they're still more than I want to spend.

Skye — 1997-2007

agingdragqueen

Staff

jqubed wrote:What bodies do y'all use? I have a Rebel 2000 (film) my parents got me in 10th grade when I took photography and a 5D (Mark I) I bought used a couple years ago. Someday I hope to upgrade to a used Mark II, but right now they're still more than I want to spend.

Last I checked in our photo studio- we use Nikon D90(s) but I bet we've upgraded since then. I think our podcast camera's the same. I'm a Nikon user myself (D7000), but that's mostly because my mumsey who's also a photog claimed her allegiance there so I just followed suit. My first real camera I got in high school too, it was a manual/film Nikon SLR which I still have and love! I just love digital a tad more.

dougall

jqubed wrote:What bodies do y'all use? I have a Rebel 2000 (film) my parents got me in 10th grade when I took photography and a 5D (Mark I) I bought used a couple years ago. Someday I hope to upgrade to a used Mark II, but right now they're still more than I want to spend.

Sitting behind me there's a Canon EOS Rebel XS (film), used by the better half when she's feeling bold there's a Rebel XTi, personally I use a T4i.

I'd love to upgrade to full frame, but currently I feel that any budget I may allow myself would be better spent on lenses rather than a body; But maybe if there were to be a too-good-to-miss deal on a 5d body I'd be unlikely to pass it up.

jqubed

agingdragqueen wrote:Last I checked in our photo studio- we use Nikon D90(s) but I bet we've upgraded since then. I think our podcast camera's the same. I'm a Nikon user myself (D7000), but that's mostly because my mumsey who's also a photog claimed her allegiance there so I just followed suit. My first real camera I got in high school too, it was a manual/film Nikon SLR which I still have and love! I just love digital a tad more.

I don't really have a strong allegiance either other than that I got a Canon first and I've stuck with it.

Skye — 1997-2007

agingdragqueen

Staff

jqubed wrote:I don't really have a strong allegiance either other than that I got a Canon first and I've stuck with it.

Oh totally, I find that both Canon & Nikon are great, solid cameras, but people usually stick with the brand they start with. I like Canon point-and-shoots a lot better as a whole, but can't very well start buying Canon stuff when I've already sunk way too much money in Nikon.

jqubed

dougall wrote:Sitting behind me there's a Canon EOS Rebel XS (film), used by the better half when she's feeling bold there's a Rebel XTi, personally I use a T4i.

I'd love to upgrade to full frame, but currently I feel that any budget I may allow myself would be better spent on lenses rather than a body; But maybe if there were to be a too-good-to-miss deal on a 5d body I'd be unlikely to pass it up.

I had an XTi and got fed up when I did a cruise in Europe. The exact moment came when I was at the Leaning Tower of Pisa and swapping lenses between my film and digital body. I had to take another 15-20 steps back to fit the framing I had in my lens on the film camera into my digital camera. I got the used 5D for $900 and trading in the XTi got that down to $600 (I think, this was a few years ago). I did have to buy a Speedlite, though, since there's no flash on the 5D. Used didn't cost too bad.

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

agingdragqueen wrote:Oh totally, I find that both Canon & Nikon are great, solid cameras, but people usually stick with the brand they start with. I like Canon point-and-shoots a lot better as a whole, but can't very well start buying Canon stuff when I've already sunk way too much money in Nikon.

Yeah, the cost of switching is a big obstacle. I'd like to get into Leica stuff. I have my grandfather's Leica IIIf from 1953, but those lenses aren't compatible with more modern gear.

Skye — 1997-2007

dougall

jqubed wrote:I had an XTi and got fed up when I did a cruise in Europe. The exact moment came when I was at the Leaning Tower of Pisa and swapping lenses between my film and digital body. I had to take another 15-20 steps back to fit the framing I had in my lens on the film camera into my digital camera. I got the used 5D for $900 and trading in the XTi got that down to $600 (I think, this was a few years ago). I did have to buy a Speedlite, though, since there's no flash on the 5D. Used didn't cost too bad.

The jump to full frame would be more image quality driven for me, I seldom shoot landscapes and am likely to miss the extra focal length I'd miss without the crop factor... part of the reason to want that 180mm macro lens first

I should look at used though, thanks for the suggestion.. seems like it may be a good option if I look hard enough.

jqubed

dougall wrote:The jump to full frame would be more image quality driven for me, I seldom shoot landscapes and am likely to miss the extra focal length I'd miss without the crop factor... part of the reason to want that 180mm macro lens first

I should look at used though, thanks for the suggestion.. seems like it may be a good option if I look hard enough.

My experience left me feeling a lot more positive about used. I'd be picky about getting a used lens, but otherwise it's worked well for me.

Skye — 1997-2007

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Nobody yet today???

Rusty dumped the garbage and ate last nights chicken. Most of the bones too.

He is really allergic to chicken.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

dontwantaname wrote:Nobody yet today???

I'm up.

Bad Rusty.

I'm babysitting 3 yorkies this weekend.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

ThunderThighs wrote:I'm up.

Bad Rusty.

I'm babysitting 3 yorkies this weekend.

3, you must be having a yappy time!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

ThunderThighs

Staff

dontwantaname wrote:3, you must be having a yappy time!

Not yet. Starts tomorrow after work. Usually it's just 2 but the 3rd one is joining. The two alone are just couch cushions. They never move. When the younger one is there, they get weird. Could be fun.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
dontwantaname wrote:Nobody yet today???

So what are the allergic reactions? He breaks out in hives? Trouble breathing? Starts clucking?

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
pooflady wrote:He breaks out in hives? Trouble breathing? Starts clucking?

sounds like me on a date.

pooflady

no1 wrote:sounds like me on a date.

//giggle//

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

pooflady

People arriving soon for pizza and then the annual coloring of the eggs!

no1

pooflady wrote:People arriving soon for pizza and then the annual coloring of the eggs!

followed by the deviling of the eggs!

pooflady

no1 wrote:followed by the deviling of the eggs!

True for here; for the others it will be the hiding of the eggs!

pooflady

m-i-l day. Later.

pooflady

Jeez, I'm the only one that's posted in 24 hours?

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:Jeez, I'm the only one that's posted in 24 hours?

Hullo.

no1, I'm wearing your panda shirt today.

FORUM MODERATOR

pooflady

ThunderThighs wrote:Hullo.

The Banshee opened up yesterday! Sent you a video.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:The Banshee opened up yesterday! Sent you a video.

Saw. Still love that laying down one though.

FORUM MODERATOR

no1

ThunderThighs wrote:Hullo.

yay! WE MUST COVER UP OUR NEKKIDNESS 4 GUD FRYDAI

hot72chev

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hot72chev
no1 wrote:yay! WE MUST COVER UP OUR NEKKIDNESS 4 GUD FRYDAI

Happy Keister! (In case we don't see you on Sunday.)

pooflady

Hello everyone. Cleaning/sitting here/cleaning/sitting here.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
pooflady wrote:Hello everyone. Cleaning/sitting here/cleaning/sitting here.

Lurking

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

no1

shirking

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
no1 wrote:shirking

possibly.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

hot72chev

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hot72chev

Good morning, Wootizens! A happy morning it is at my house - I hit the "I've lost 60 pounds" mark today! Woo HOO!

Just in time for Easter dinner...

pooflady

hot72chev wrote:Good morning, Wootizens! A happy morning it is at my house - I hit the "I've lost 60 pounds" mark today! Woo HOO!

Just in time for Easter dinner...

Congratulations! That's great. I assume you aren't eating any chocolate bunnies.

pooflady

This s u c k s. Had the mega million ball and two other numbers and get a whopping $5.