tennbeekeeper


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tennbeekeeper
pooflady wrote:A lot of our tomatoes are rotting out on the bottom.



What causes that?? Too much rain?

FenStar


quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
pooflady wrote:A lot of our tomatoes are rotting out on the bottom.

Poof PM

Still single, can't imagine why.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

tennbeekeeper wrote:We tend to agree with that stmt.



Are you sure it wasn't an animal?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

tennbeekeeper


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tennbeekeeper
dontwantaname wrote:Are you sure it wasn't an animal?



It could've been a squirrel, and yet husband heard kids out there that day... so who knows. The squirrels in the area tend to get "drawn and quartered," so if it was one of them, it's days are most likely numbered.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
tennbeekeeper wrote:What causes that?? Too much rain?



We certainly haven't had too much of that. It's called blossom rot and some of it has to do with the weather. Also, you need to put bone meal (calcium) in when the plant them and I think husband ran out and didn't do it. He's not exactly admitting to it.



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

tennbeekeeper wrote:It could've been a squirrel, and yet husband heard kids out there that day... so who knows. The squirrels in the area tend to get "drawn and quartered," so if it was one of them, it's days are most likely numbered.



Squirrels love to take one bite and dump it. I don't think we ever got an eatable peach from the tree that was growing over the fence. Maybe it isn't warm enough for a long enough time here.
The apple tree that got eaten by carperter ants, some years it was crab apples, sometimes real apples. Odd. More real apples in the years before it fell. Even odder. Healthy tree was crab apples...sick tree real apples.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

darthv8r


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r
dontwantaname wrote:Squirrels love to take one bite and dump it. I don't think we ever got an eatable peach from the tree that was growing over the fence. Maybe it isn't warm enough for a long enough time here.
The apple tree that got eaten by carperter ants, some years it was crab apples, sometimes real apples. Odd. More real apples in the years before it fell. Even odder. Healthy tree was crab apples...sick tree real apples.

darthv8r


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Back on page one

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

gwp, where's your garden pictures? You should be harvesting by now.



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

gwp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
pooflady wrote:gwp, where's your garden pictures? You should be harvesting by now.



No, we're still a month away from tomato harvest, 2 months til corn, and longer for squash and cukes. This is one of the latest zones on the map I think.

I am thoroughly bummed regarding the garden ... It's a long and sordid tale, so I'll try to cover the major categories of catastrophe:

- A mama deer has eaten anything taller than 18" on all of the pepper plants, anything that she could reach of the cukes (I planted them in big cages this year), and has nibbled on most of the peas.

- I am reeling from a chickweed invasion of massive proportions. In the space of a week (twice so far), the entire garden from border to border becomes a solid mass of weed, 2 feet tall. Yesterday, I pulled out 6 heaping wheelbarrow loads of weeds from the aisles that used to have watermelon plants. They never had a chance. I found one watermelon plant out of 2 dozen that was still recognizable. It'll never make it either as it is now very weak.

The weeds had choked the butternut and acorn squash as well. Those aisles revealed 3 acorn and four butternut plants that survived. The deer had already wounded any others that were in there. She seems to like the blossoms.

- Lettuce and cauliflower are all total losses. Between the deer and the chickweed, it's all gone.

- I have no idea what happened to the radishes. The first few pickings (a week before they should have been ready) were delicious and crisp. A week later, they were all mutated and woody. I pulled the remaining ones yesterday and they were hideous. Either this was bad seed, or I have something in my soil that is just wreaking havoc. I've never seen radishes do this before. Horror-movie-hideous they were. Not overgrown necessarily either. Bizarre.

Makes me want to plant grass seed across the garden this fall and give it up to the lawn...

On a more positive note -- the peppers that are below the reach of the deer are doing well. I picked two green chili's yesterday morning and chopped them with a couple of garlic cloves into my eggs. Mmmm ... waarrrrm! They are going to be great dried or pureed into hotsauce.

There seem to be a lot of yellow banana peppers as well. I see no Bell peppers on the plants, nor jalepenos though.

Lots of green tomatoes on the vines, all still pretty small. I'll be patient.

Picked some fresh dill yesterday. I think it's time to pick all of it plus the parsley before Something Bad happens to any of it.

Pumpkins are blossoming. No signs of fruit yet. Then again, last year they all flowered like crazy but never produced anything.

Sunflowers are only 2 feet tall. I don't remember them growing so slowly before.

Corn seems to be healthy and untouched by the deer. There are no ears showing, but it's early still.

I wondered how she was getting in there, as the whole garden is surrounded by 7 foot tall poles topped with a wooden rail, and with 4 feet of chain-link fencing at the bottom. One day right after dawn, I watched her walking around in the garden, and when she heard me she lept out again, over the fence and under the rail, effortlessly, like a gazelle. I've since gone around the whole garden and woven wire back and forth between the upper rail and the top of the chainlink, and hung streamers all over. This will only help if she can't or doesn't want to leap 7 feet high. Somehow, I think she can.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

I just have a squirrel to worry about. He ate my two sunflower plants. Then again, I see the same sunflowers around the neighborhood and none of them are doing anything.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
gwp wrote:No, we're still a month away from tomato harvest, 2 months til corn, and longer for squash and cukes. This is one of the latest zones on the map I think.

I am thoroughly bummed regarding the garden ... It's a long and sordid tale, so I'll try to cover the major categories of catastrophe:



Wow, what a disaster. All that time that went into planting the seeds and transferring the plants. I know the deer can clear a four-foot fence with no problem at all, but I'm surprised she got in between the fence and the rail. I've watched even fawns clear four feet from a standing position. Husband has used Liquid Fence in the past with some success. He didn't plant any vegetables this year, but the hostas are doing okay even though there's deer droppings in the yard frequently.

I wonder what happened to your radishes. That's weird. Did you plant green onions? Those usually make it through anything. Our tomatoes are just starting to come in. Had our first BLTs last week.

I didn't know chickweed grew that high. I thought it was more a ground-covering weed. Did you know you can eat chickweed? Maybe you should try growing it!



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

gwp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
pooflady wrote:... That's weird. Did you plant green onions? Those usually make it through anything.



Yes, but in a different garden (the one that has the herbs and celery and such). I don't see them, so I'm not sure what's going on... The soil was not worked as much in that garden.

pooflady wrote:I didn't know chickweed grew that high. I thought it was more a ground-covering weed. Did you know you can eat chickweed? Maybe you should try growing it!



I'm definitely not a weed expert. The diagnosis of chickweed was made with KT's help and and a few web pages. Actually, I just went back to one of them and searched a little more, and I think I have a new one to blame, Galinsoga.

Uggh. Just looking at the pictures makes me sweat ...

kalyha


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kalyha

I have quite a crop of Thai Ornamental Peppers any suggestions on how to dry them or pickle them? I will cook with some, but don't know what to do with the other 8000 on the little bush.

FenStar


quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
kalyha wrote:I have quite a crop of Thai Ornamental Peppers any suggestions on how to dry them or pickle them? I will cook with some, but don't know what to do with the other 8000 on the little bush.

Do you have a dehydrator?

Still single, can't imagine why.

kalyha


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kalyha
FenStar wrote:Do you have a dehydrator?


Nope.

gwp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
kalyha wrote:Nope.



I've had good luck tying them all with a piece of string (so they don't touch each other, like xmas lights almost ...) and hanging them in the basement where it's very dry.

I also threw one on the dashboard of my truck once when someone handed one to me, and forgot to bring it in the house when I got home. It dried right up in one day.

Maybe a combination of the two techniques -- string them along the back window of the car and leave it in the sun ... It'd be, er ... festive too!

FenStar


quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
gwp wrote:I've had good luck tying them all with a piece of string (so they don't touch each other, like xmas lights almost ...) and hanging them in the basement where it's very dry.

I also threw one on the dashboard of my truck once when someone handed one to me, and forgot to bring it in the house when I got home. It dried right up in one day.

Maybe a combination of the two techniques -- string them along the back window of the car and leave it in the sun ... It'd be, er ... festive too!

Or, perhaps put them on a black sheet of construction paper with a little rice, and cover it with a clear bowl.

Still single, can't imagine why.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
gwp wrote:I've had good luck tying them all with a piece of string (so they don't touch each other, like xmas lights almost ...) and hanging them in the basement where it's very dry.

I also threw one on the dashboard of my truck once when someone handed one to me, and forgot to bring it in the house when I got home. It dried right up in one day.

Maybe a combination of the two techniques -- string them along the back window of the car and leave it in the sun ... It'd be, er ... festive too!


I've dried lotsa of peppers that way- works great. tied on a string, I mean.

kalyha


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kalyha
Josephus wrote:I've dried lotsa of peppers that way- works great. tied on a string, I mean.



great ideas, but I don't know that I have any really dry place inside the house. I have a 100 year old row home with no a/c or any of that fancy stuff. maybe I'll try the string and hang them out in the sun if we have a few nice days in a row. Does that sound like it would work?

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

gwp wrote:I'm definitely not a weed expert. The diagnosis of chickweed was made with KT's help and and a few web pages. Actually, I just went back to one of them and searched a little more, and I think I have a new one to blame, Galinsoga.

Uggh. Just looking at the pictures makes me sweat ...



I've got that sucker! It really enjoyed when I put Miracle Grow on the plants. It was like a ground cover the next day or so.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
kalyha wrote:great ideas, but I don't know that I have any really dry place inside the house. I have a 100 year old row home with no a/c or any of that fancy stuff. maybe I'll try the string and hang them out in the sun if we have a few nice days in a row. Does that sound like it would work?



just hang them anywhere. I hanged mine from the ceiling in my dining room. not really dry, but it doesn't need to be; just drier than the pepper, and air not saturated with humidity.

FenStar


quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
Josephus wrote:just hang them anywhere. I hanged mine from the ceiling in my dining room. not really dry, but it doesn't need to be; just drier than the pepper, and air not saturated with humidity.

I hate hanged, it should be hung.

Still single, can't imagine why.

gwp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
FenStar wrote:I hate hanged, it should be hung.



The word 'hung' should be hanged.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

FenStar wrote:I hate hanged, it should be hung.



Is this our Fen? If it was written by any other 20 year old guy I would be reading that totally different.
Did we corrupt him?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
FenStar wrote:I hate hanged, it should be hung.



I agree. Same with laid. Should be layed.



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

gwp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
pooflady wrote:I agree. Same with laid. Should be layed.



Hung should be laid.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

gwp wrote:Hung should be laid.



Knew that was coming!


Oh cr ap, that sentence might just add to it.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
dontwantaname wrote:Knew that was coming!


Oh cr ap, that sentence might just add to it.



Who's that?



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Who's that?



Come on Poof! You had two boys. Read back the last few post with the mind of a HS boy.

Start here Fen said... I hate hanged, it should be hung.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
dontwantaname wrote:Come on Poof! You had two boys. Read back the last few post with the mind of a HS boy.

Start here Fen said... I hate hanged, it should be hung.



Ahem! You said "that" was coming. I asked who is "that"? D'uh!



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

FenStar


quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
gwp wrote:Hung should be laid.

Still single, can't imagine why.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

FenStar wrote:



When did the ads show up even when we type out an answer?
Plus on the bottom of the page too.
This is going to be really bad if it is one of those annoying ads.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Josephus wrote:just hang them anywhere. I hanged mine from the ceiling in my dining room. not really dry, but it doesn't need to be; just drier than the pepper, and air not saturated with humidity.



it taked a long time, tieing all them little neese (nooses?)

FenStar


quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

D'name: here is you sig in 1/2 the file size.

Still single, can't imagine why.

FenStar


quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

Joe, do you know why I can't view jpegs with chroma subsampling in FF?

Still single, can't imagine why.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

FenStar wrote:D'name: here is you sig in 1/2 the file size.



It is smaller? I need smaller.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

dontwantaname wrote:It is smaller? I need smaller.



Looks the same size, but I'll try it.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

FenStar


quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
dontwantaname wrote:It is smaller? I need smaller.

The file size is smaller. I split it in to 2 files, as the 2 parts lend themselves to different file types.

Still single, can't imagine why.