+ Add a Comment

gwp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp

Just taking a short breather half-way through unloading a pickup truck full of horse manure into my garden.

Started the day by changing the oil and gearbox lube in the tiller, changed the oil in the wood-chipper, and tilled the garden once. (mixing in this winter's wood ashes and the contents of one large compost pile) Also put the mower battery on the charger...

After I spread out the manure, I'll let it sit in the sun til tomorrow, then til that in as well.

Oh, and I moved my tomato, pepper and watermelon seedlings to the coldframes outdoors as well.

Tomorrow I'll drag the tiller over to my son's house and do two of his gardens as well.

Thank GOODNESS the nice weather is finally here!

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
FenStar wrote:

Great picture. Do you know what it is?

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
pooflady wrote:Great picture. Do you know what it is?

Iris.
If anyone ever wants a high resolution photo of something I post, just PM me.
Also, if you tell me your screen size I will be happy to make a wallpaper for you.

Still single, can't imagine why.

zea3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zea3
cruzer wrote:

I want you to notice that there are two types of grass in my lawn.

It is mostly St. Augustine, but you can see some rye grass in there too (correct me if I am wrong). The grass that is coming in right now is rye grass (that I am sure of). I'm halfway thinking about replacing the St. Augustine grass for the rye grass. Maybe tear a few spots up at a time and grow some nice grass in my yard. I really don't like the St. Augustine. It is really rough and the rye grass is real soft. Just my thoughts on a project that I want to do.

You may want to check, but I think it is too hot in your area for rye grass to survive the summer.

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer
zea3 wrote:
You may want to check, but I think it is too hot in your area for rye grass to survive the summer.

so it seems.

I really hate St Augustine, I guess that's why the rye grass is going really well right now.

*goes back to the drawing board*

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 541 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cruzer wrote:

so it seems.

I really hate St Augustine, I guess that's why the rye grass is going really well right now.

Rye grass won't do well in the heat of the summer. People use it here as a winter grass as it dies out just as the bermuda or St. Augustine comes in. St. Augustine is a good shade grass.

Also, we had Rye in WA as it was much cooler there. You have to overseed it just about every year to keep it thick. It doesn't spread the way B & ST do.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:

Great picture. Do you know what it is?

It is a flower.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

ThunderThighs

Staff

dontwantaname wrote:

It is a flower.

It's MRS HELPFUL!

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

acemom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acemom

The violets that grow wild in my yard.

acemom

Those white/pink wildflowers that appear in the spring.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

daj59 wrote:
It's MRS HELPFUL!

Well, I'm right!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

zea3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zea3
cruzer wrote:

so it seems.

You may want to look into zoysia grass as an alternative to St Augustine.

pooflady

zea3 wrote:
You may want to look into zoysia grass as an alternative to St Augustine.

No, no, no. Hate zoysia. At least for this area, it's brown from the first frost until the middle of April. A neighbor across the street put in plugs of it years ago and now it's taking over the yards of everyone somewhat downhill from him because it washes down the ditch line in heavy rains. And at the bottom of the hill, it's washed across the road and it's taking over their yard. Neighbors are very unhappy. Nothing you can do to get rid of it.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:

No, no, no. Hate zoysia. At least for this area, it's brown from the first frost until the middle of April. A neighbor across the street put in plugs of it years ago and now it's taking over the yards of everyone somewhat downhill from him because it washes down the ditch line in heavy rains. And at the bottom of the hill, it's washed across the road and it's taking over their yard. Neighbors are very unhappy. Nothing you can do to get rid of it.

Our grass is always brown in the winter. Do you have rye or another grass that says green all year in your climate? I know rye in WA was green all year but didn't grow much in the winter.

pooflady

daj59 wrote:
Our grass is always brown in the winter. Do you have rye or another grass that says green all year in your climate? I know rye in WA was green all year but didn't grow much in the winter.

No, ours is brown, too, but stays green longer and gets green much sooner. Ours has been bright green for weeks. Neighbors still have big brown splotches.

gwp

What a day. I'll be lucky if I can move in the morning ...

Tilled the manure into the garden -- two passes. It's tilled bout 8-12" deep now. Very rich.

Thinned out a barberry hedge that had gotten way too 'woody'. Edged along one side of vegetable garden. About a half-yard of waste.

Loaded tiller up in truck and took it to son's house, and tilled his front flower beds.

Waiting now for neighbor up the street to roll my lawn. (He owns a landscaping business, and gives the neighbors a cut rate at the beginning of the season...) Maybe he'll scare a few moles into someone else's lawn.

It's been beautiful here today. Mid to upper 70's, and sunny. I may have gotten a slight sunburn on my arms and head.

I hurt already ...

acemom

gwp wrote:What a day. I'll be lucky if I can move in the morning ...

Tilled the manure into the garden -- two passes. It's tilled bout 8-12" deep now. Very rich.

Thinned out a barberry hedge that had gotten way too 'woody'. Edged along one side of vegetable garden. About a half-yard of waste.

Loaded tiller up in truck and took it to son's house, and tilled his front flower beds.

Waiting now for neighbor up the street to roll my lawn. (He owns a landscaping business, and gives the neighbors a cut rate at the beginning of the season...) Maybe he'll scare a few moles into someone else's lawn.

It's been beautiful here today. Mid to upper 70's, and sunny. I may have gotten a slight sunburn on my arms and head.

I hurt already ...

I hear ya.
Raked my borders, a LOT OF LEAVES! Dug out the dead rosebushes, dug holes for new ones, mixed topsoil, peat, and cow manure. Planted new rosebushes. Cut the climbing rosebush back to get rid of the dead canes.
Doesn't sound like much, but I hurt too.
Guess I was too much of a slug over the winter.....

gwp

acemom wrote:
I hear ya.
Raked my borders, a LOT OF LEAVES! Dug out the dead rosebushes, dug holes for new ones, mixed topsoil, peat, and cow manure. Planted new rosebushes. Cut the climbing rosebush back to get rid of the dead canes.
Doesn't sound like much, but I hurt too.
Guess I was too much of a slug over the winter.....

You wuz busy too! Amazing how much cabin fever we get being closed inside all winter. The first day with some semi-decent weather and we're all out there pretending we're invincible... Oh well. Better than the alternative.

acemom

Bleh.. I need to work in my yard again, but we have gotten so much rain the past couple of days it is just a muddy mess.
Well, it is supposed to be warm the next week or so....maybe then I can get more done.

Oh, plus......the guys at work brought my mower back. Sadly, it is too wet to mow, even though I can see big giant tufts of grass mocking me.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

I put the Easter tulups out in the yard. I wasn't going to dry the bulbs and plant them next year, I was going to just dig the entire pot into the ground. (yeah, yeah, I know, not what should be done)

They fell over, so I picked them up and the pot fell off the bottom.
Being lazy, and it was raining, I threw the pot away and figured the next day it wasn't raining I would put them in the ground.

I was robbed!!!!
Someone took the bulbs and left the dirt and plant behind!!!

Robbed!!!!

My main suspect is the cute, innocent squirrels . The fuzzy tailed cousins to Splinter! The guys who I fed birdseed to all winter!
Crooks! I think the dirt trail led to the tree.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote: I put the Easter tulups out in the yard. I wasn't going to dry the bulbs and plant them next year, I was going to just dig the entire pot into the ground. (yeah, yeah, I know, not what should be done)

Being lazy, and it was raining, I threw the pot away and figured the next day it wasn't raining I would put them in the ground.

I was robbed!!!!

Robbed!!!!

My main suspect is the cute, innocent squirrels . The fuzzy tailed cousins to Splinter! The guys who I fed birdseed to all winter!

We'll get a posse and go after them varmints!!!

acemom

dontwantaname wrote: I put the Easter tulups out in the yard. I wasn't going to dry the bulbs and plant them next year, I was going to just dig the entire pot into the ground. (yeah, yeah, I know, not what should be done)

I was robbed!!!!

Robbed!!!!

Well, you already know you did the wrong thing.
All you had to do was take th bulbs out, dry them, and plant them in the fall.

But yeah, it was those thieving squirrels.

acemom

Well, my lilacs are blooming, sort of. I have 5 big lilac bushes and very few blossoms this year. Not sure if it is just one of those off years or if the late cold weather screwed them up.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:

We'll get a posse and go after them varmints!!!

We done got that varmit, ma'am.

pooflady

daj59 wrote:
We done got that varmit, ma'am.

Did ya catch him red-handed with the tulips?

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:

He's not talking yet but we'll break 'im!

pooflady

daj59 wrote:
He's not talking yet but we'll break 'im!

We can send in Mati-Squirrel, she'll get him to confess.

acemom

Mowed my stupid lawn today for the first time this season.
Got the stupid mower stuck in the stupid mud. (first time that has ever happened).

Guys from work came over and had to tow it out with a bobcat.
Stupid mud.

*kicks stuff around*

pooflady

acemom wrote:Mowed my stupid lawn today for the first time this season.
Got the stupid mower stuck in the stupid mud. (first time that has ever happened).

Guys from work came over and had to tow it out with a bobcat.
Stupid mud.

*kicks stuff around*

Right. No operator error there. Did they manage not to snicker while they were towing it out?

acemom

pooflady wrote:

Right. No operator error there. Did they manage not to snicker while they were towing it out?

They were nice. They even agreed with me that it didn't look muddy where i got it stuck.

I imagine they held those straight faces until they were safely back in the truck with the windows rolled up.

pooflady

acemom wrote:
They were nice. They even agreed with me that it didn't look muddy where i got it stuck.

I imagine they held those straight faces until they were safely back in the truck with the windows rolled up.

LOL Their mamas didn't raise no idiots.

acemom

pooflady wrote:

LOL Their mamas didn't raise no idiots.

Believe me, I know.... My talents do not lie in "lifting heavy stuff"....but i need people who can do that.
In the last week, someone has: removed a dead tree that fell over my fence; repaired the fence; cut down some weedy brush; spread Weed-N-Feed on my yard.
I don't know for sure who is doing these things, but I think it is one of the guys from work.
He is happily married, kids, and pretty religious....
What a great guy!
I need to find a way to give back to him.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:

Sorry but we're aren't getting far with this squirrel. She's a tough cookie.

pooflady

daj59 wrote:
Sorry but we're aren't getting far with this squirrel. She's a tough cookie.

Oh, like the bikini, but she's still showing a lot of tail.

acemom

Lilacs are looking sad this year.
New rosebushes are doing OK. One of them is taking off like crazy, the other 2 are OK but slower.
I need to spread hardwood mulch on my borders, etc. I used to be able to lift those 80 lb bags, can't any more. *sigh*
I guess I will get one of the young guys from work to unload them and move them for me.
Getting old is no fun.

acemom

I hope it dries out soon, my yard is looking like a jungle!!
Plus I need to till up my little flower garden and plant....

GWP, how goes the garden?

gwp

acemom wrote:I hope it dries out soon, my yard is looking like a jungle!!
Plus I need to till up my little flower garden and plant....

GWP, how goes the garden?

All my seedlings from the first batch have succumbed to the elements.

I have some peppers and tomatillas and celery in the greenhouse still that should be OK. Looks like I may have to buy tomato and jalepeno plants from the nursery.

I may try to start a new set of seedlings between now and Memorial Day, but that's not much time.

pooflady

Husband is planting onion sets as we speak. The tomatoes went in last week. The chives are in full bloom.

acemom

gwp wrote:

All my seedlings from the first batch have succumbed to the elements.

I have some peppers and tomatillas and celery in the greenhouse still that should be OK. Looks like I may have to buy tomato and jalepeno plants from the nursery.

I may try to start a new set of seedlings between now and Memorial Day, but that's not much time.

Whoa, that really sucks, after all that work!!!
Weird weather this year, warm in March, colder than sh!t in April!!
90 degrees the other day, and now I had to turn my heat back on.
Poor little plants don't know what to do!

acemom

pooflady wrote:Husband is planting onion sets as we speak. The tomatoes went in last week. The chives are in full bloom.

Onion sets can go in when it is chilly..... my chives (still indoors in a pot) are blooming.
A little cold at night here lately for tomatoes so far.
If you wish to share Poofguy I have a couple of things he could help me with in the yard.....