ambieanay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ambieanay
scyform wrote:hmm I'm guessing...

Waste = Yahoo (?)
Squander = Compaq (oop someone above corrected me)
Upgrade = Apple

Dissipate=Disney
Consume=CocaCola
More=McDonalds
Waste=Yahoo
Buy=IBM
Squander=Compaq
Upgrade=Apple

JagoMidnight

quality posts: 3 Private Messages JagoMidnight

this rocks, in for one

attackingmoose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages attackingmoose
whoha4242 wrote:I'm thinking Squander is Compaq, and Upgrade is Microsoft, but I can't place Waste.

http://www.onlinepcservice.com/Compaq_logo.gif

Squander - Compaq

drrtdrtt drrtdrtt drrtdrtt drrtdrtt drrtdrtt

mrfhan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrfhan

Does anyone get More or Dissipate??

terrenceistheman

quality posts: 15 Private Messages terrenceistheman

more = mcdonalds
consume = coca cola
dissipate = disney
buy = ibm
squander = compaq
upgrade = apple
waste = yahoo

i like, but does yahoo really fit in with the rest of these?

kungpowbetty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kungpowbetty

No tanks

emalichite

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emalichite

upgrade might be Hertz

attackingmoose

emalichite wrote:upgrade might be Hertz

No, he would've added the black backdrop.

The font is much too generic. It's not google and it's probably not Apple.

darthdigit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthdigit
attackingmoose wrote:No, he would've added the black backdrop.

The font is much too generic. It's not google and it's probably not Apple.

Failure to pickup on the logos being parodied kinda kills the point. I don't want to have to explain my shirt to people all day.

Gonna have to pass on that basis. Nice idea though.

Microloud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Microloud

How can none fo you see it Upgrade is GOOGLE. The rest are easy

attackingmoose

Microloud wrote:How can no one you see it Upgrade is GOOGLE

The g is wrong. The squiggle goes the wrong way. Pull up the full view of the shirt and head over to google.com and compare.

There's just too much wrong. Besides, what's the fun in doing 'Upgrade' if it doesn't start with a G. At least do Gouge or something of that caliber.

JonnyDanger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JonnyDanger

I likes the design. But boourns red. Three outta four of me Woot shirts are that color!

2/8/08 - Uniden 5.8Ghz 3 Handset Phone with Answering System --- 1/20/08 - 3x Bag O Chirt --- 12/7/07 - 3x Sudoku Wooden Board Game --- 12/5/07 - I Can Has Dreidel? --- 11/25/07 - 3x Bag O Chirt --- 10/9/07 - Bird-Powered Robot --- 10/3/07 - Счастливый Пятидесятый День рождения! --- 9/19/07 - Sandisk Sansa e270 6GB Media Player --- 9/17/07 - 2x Bats! --- 7/27/07 - Threat Level: Doctorow --- 7/12/07 - 3x Random Crap --- 6/1/07 - 3x Random Crap --- 6/1/07 - 1x Logitech MX Revolution

Microloud

attackingmoose wrote:The g is wrong. The squiggle goes the wrong way. Pull up the full view of the shirt and head over to google.com and compare.

There's just too much wrong. Besides, what's the fun in doing 'Upgrade' if it doesn't start with a G. At least do Gouge or something of that caliber.

Waste is Yahoo yet it begins with W, The starting letter doesnt matter much, and maybe he couldnt find the correct font that googles uses? just a thought

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Microloud wrote:How can none fo you see it Upgrade is GOOGLE. The rest are easy

The "e" and the"g" are different. Just checked Google.com. The crossbar of the e is horizontal here. and is at a 20 degree angle on the Google home page

yonas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yonas

yay! Love it. Got one.

SperkMik

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SperkMik

On the other hand "upgrade" DOES start approximately the same way "Apple" does (at least by sound). And the "e" and the "p" are the same, and the "d" is an upside down "p." I'm betting it's Apple.

The "e" and the "g" don't match Google's logo, and the letters would be rounded and probably multi-colored.

attackingmoose

Microloud wrote:Waste is Yahoo yet it begins with W, The starting letter doesnt matter much, and maybe he couldnt find the correct font that googles uses? just a thought

Waste fits because of the font. Yahoo uses the obvious bouncing font. It has no other real icon other than the Y! nonsense.

Consume has the curly C and dissipate uses the Disney D and more has the McDonalds trademark gold-arched M and finally, buy and squander have the B and Q of their respective companies.

That's why Upgrade throws so many people, it's just painfully generic. Several companies have used a font almost exactly like that, however Apple is the first one to everyone's mind.

Microloud

Just seems like Apples font is to generic for the G to look like it does. And the E and P are usually the same for every font

phr

quality posts: 6 Private Messages phr

Oh my, the irony, I had decided to not buy anything on black friday because of basically the sentiments expressed by this shirt. So now I have to have the shirt. On black friday. Well maybe if I wait til after midnight it will be ok. If they're not sold out, sigh.

PermaBuzzed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PermaBuzzed

Nice woot

mgdsh

quality posts: 10 Private Messages mgdsh

The first company to mind for me on Upgrade was UBS.

Can't we just have the artist chime in already and answer the burning question?

Favorites: Corison/Helios Cabs/Cab Franc, TyCaton Cab/TyTaniun & Field Blend, Roessler Pinots, Krupp Verasion Synchrony, Kent Rasmussen PS & Titus Lot 1

Chompers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chompers

I'm in for three if only for the wonderful Negativland reference in the description. XD

You can download the song for free from their website:

http://www.negativland.com/audiogadgets.html

"It was a dog named Snuggles"

ackmondual

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ackmondual

condition: Anti-Corporate
product(s): 1 Red Woot Tee (4283)
Size: WS, WM, WL, WXL, S, M, L, XL, 2X, 3X

slightly like this design. Turnoff would be having to explain this to ppl who don't get it, fo which some of it I do njot. THat and I've already exceeded my allotment of 1 woot T per semi-year ;)

marriage is the price men pay for sex
sex is the price women pay for marriage

vaguelyamused

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vaguelyamused

Upgrade looked a lot like Microsoft's old font to me, Windows 95-98 era. It made the most sense to me in the "Upgrade" context. I'll have to dig

listentothis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages listentothis

I've been visiting this site daily for two months and this is my first ever woot. Go!

sawbones84

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sawbones84
Brian202 wrote:In for this. Two nights in a row. Go me.

And to top it off, I just got a pay raise at work. More woots to come...

sorta ironic...

FrogLogik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FrogLogik

Squander looks like the Equifox logo, still no clue on Waste or Upgrade.

martian423

quality posts: 1 Private Messages martian423

Saw the Mickey D's and had to get one. Someone once wrote a short story that began with a Mickey D's reference that was about me, and when she read it at a conference, she read the Mickey D's bit and half the folks burst into laughter.

Yup, this works.

metalwolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages metalwolf

i strongly think that 'upgrade' is apple. i love that one since i've been the one bashing on apple to everyone saying that they're suckering everyone into their corporate scheme of releasing new upgrades all the time with tiny (usually) superficial improvements when the product has continually keeps the flaws that screw the buyer over and force you to get a new one.

ryepug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryepug

Upgrade is Apple... it's their old corporate font, Garamond Narrow.

They haven't used it in a few years, Myriad Pro is now their font... but Garamond Narrow remains more "iconicly" Apple at this point since they used it for 2 decades.

zapunuts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zapunuts

pass

ShadowSquared

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ShadowSquared

I believe that "Squander" is from the Compaq logo.

function numberofWOOTs_Callback(hObject, eventdata, handles)

number_of_WOOTs = str2double(get(hObject,'string'));

polaricecaves

quality posts: 0 Private Messages polaricecaves

first woot.
i need a red t.

JohnQ118

quality posts: 2 Private Messages JohnQ118

FInally, a Derby design I voted on wins and

woot wrote:your order is in.
you're all set now.
wOOt! 1st woot:20-AUG’05|43-w00ts|41-shirts|3-wine.w00t!Cheeses|11-Sellouts|2-Kids.w00t

StevieT

quality posts: 3 Private Messages StevieT

I don't understand why this theme has to be negative and against consumerism. The reason anyone is on this site is because of consumerism. Everything woot does if for sale...... why is the american dollar negitive, a strong economy as we are experiencing is a good thing. Praise this, because if and when it all goes into the red, you will be wishing you could waste $10.00 on a dumb T-Shirt

ZandersZa

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ZandersZa

Cool shirt, but recent spending splurge leaving me broke. Plus, the sellout.woot tonight was a really good deal and I had no choice but to go for one of those. Nice design, whoever (or is it whomever?) made it.

svengoolie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages svengoolie
martian423 wrote:Saw the Mickey D's and had to get one. Someone once wrote a short story that began with a Mickey D's reference that was about me, and when she read it at a conference, she read the Mickey D's bit and half the folks burst into laughter.

Yup, this works.

Why are you so obsessed with writing Mickey D's every time? You put it in three instances within the space of 2 sentences. Jesus.

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon

Which shirt do you hope got third place?

ayan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ayan

The Compaq font dates 2002 last. It has been discontinued after HP acquired them. Also from what I gather Upgrade is an old Apple font too (for those debating whether the last font is apple's, I would like to say that the word Upgrade would apply best to Apple, so it probably is) So why have these old fonts been used?

neobahamutz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neobahamutz

I thought Upgrade was Apple.