mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
bluchez wrote:In a system where honest critiques gets 20 people to jump on your back, where a misunderstanding of the rules gets 30 comments that say the same thing, where "popular" status loses you more votes then it gets you, where talent is asked to sit on the sidelines so everyone can get a shot at the lime light, and where most people can vote more than once, passive agressiveness is our only acceptable outlet for derby angst.

The parts that bug me the most are

"where talent is asked to sit on the sidelines so everyone can get a shot at the lime light, and where most people can vote more than once"

I do not know which is more shameful than the other.

echelon7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages echelon7

As an artist, the term "better fit" is more offensive than this shirt. Shame on you. Shame on you.

jpolson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpolson
Re: FonzEhhh

Very nice. I especially love the detail on the face. I can't figure out why this isn't in the fog yet.

jpolson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpolson
bluchez wrote:most people can vote more than once

Why does Woot allow that?

suzyottomatic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suzyottomatic
Re: Canadian Can-Can

This is a cute, simple, well done design. I like how you've effectively spot-lighted the dancers, probably do to your color choice. A little background shadow of the dancers would possibly help it appear less flat, but I'm no artist. Good luck! This should climb with more exposure. (signature link)

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
jpolson wrote:Why does Woot allow that?

As someone who can't vote I guess I really have no opinion that matters, but I don't think you should be able to vote for yourself at all.
-Andy

easeandgrace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages easeandgrace
Re: I'd Rather Be Canadian

*giggles*... very cute!

easeandgrace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages easeandgrace
OpenDesign wrote:I know it's kind of late in the voting to do a resub, but I felt that this was a better design. I removed the "N" and made the whole thing bigger on the shirt, and also changed up the northern lights a bit. It's going to be nearly impossible to get even near the "fog of war" at this point, but I think that better design is worth losing some ground on!

Nice change-up. I like this much better.

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
mihalis aya wrote:Are our states not part of our country? I guarentee you people would do things like the Statue of Liberty and the Golden Gate Bridge if we had a US theme, which are both state-rooted as well. Fireweed doesn't grow exclusively in the Yukon, as pointed out. It is a cold-weather flower that thrives in a lot of Canada. But it is the official flower of the Yukon, which has a symbolic, great white north sort of feeling for a lot of people.

I tend to interpret the theme given in an unusual way. Sometimes that works out--Innovation, and now this. Sometimes it doesn't. But I stand firm that, just because I've approached the theme from a different place than most of the other entries, doesn't mean my interpretation is invalid and should be rejected. If you have concerns, please hit the tattle button instead.

good lord....why does everyone get so defensive if anyone questions something? I didn't hit the tattle button, just expressed my opinion that this was a stretch, an opinion i'm not alone in. I didn't say it was terrible, i said I didn't think it will make it past the rejectionator, or that - IN MY OPINION - it should. You needn't be so dang sensitive about it.

brizz

derekfilley wrote:Has the day finally come where I agree with brizz...? oh la la!

brizz

Jemmacakes wrote:I agree!

Why isn't this in the fog? I am perpleximacated.

as am I. the scrumtrulescence of this shirt is simply awesome.

daedalusknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages daedalusknight
SecretStu wrote:Very simple answer to your question, there is no sugar maple brush tip in Photoshop.

Funny you should mention that... I was talking this over with another shirt designer and was enlightened to the fact that you can create your own brushes in photoshop. I didn't use it in my entry, but now I know that it's possible it will come in handy in future designs.

brizz

bluchez wrote:In a system where honest critiques gets 20 people to jump on your back, where a misunderstanding of the rules gets 30 comments that say the same thing, where "popular" status loses you more votes then it gets you, where talent is asked to sit on the sidelines so everyone can get a shot at the lime light, and where most people can vote more than once, passive agressiveness is our only acceptable outlet for derby angst.

that wuz teh funneh

well said blu....well said.

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
jpolson wrote:Very nice. I especially love the detail on the face. I can't figure out why this isn't in the fog yet.

Thanks!

I did the jacket, face drawing, and midtone shading.
The face was Cho's work. He's very meticulous with the details.

njbell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages njbell

Elizabeth II is all dressed up for a night on the town, but she only brought 5 cents to pay cover!

Re: Heads or Tails, eh?

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

jaf28 wrote:Well it depends on what part of Canada you are from. My friends in college from Hallifax pronounced it "aboat." : )

Ditto on the "aboat" thing.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

njbell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages njbell

I found a mouse in my beer, eh

Re: Cold one, eh?

fillengroovy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fillengroovy
Toys4Tommy wrote:Really ought to say "Shaved Beaver".

That seemed a bit risky to me. Believe me I wanted to. I figured it kinda would be implied by the sheers in his hand. This is my second attempt at a derby so I'm still learning what is and isn't acceptable.

Jemmacakes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jemmacakes
jimiyo wrote:... but a 'demented' 'evil' bunny does not?

Count me out. I am equally scared.

http://www.glossyinc.com/zig/screamtv.html

Need my Comfeze.
;)

(btw, I found it highly ironic that this was a kids song, isn't bunny a metaphor for alkaline and the the mouse the metaphor for...? Wait...nevermind...I am confusing my tshirts...)

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

jimiyo wrote:This is for the few that will understand this oh so esoteric reference...

Men, are you going to let flowers dominate the fog?

I know you are out there, you geeks.

Men, aged approximately 27 - 40 years old who played this most wonderful game with your older brother who never let you be the Allies, but you beat him anyways by berserking across Russia to take Caucus, The Oil Fields and eventually Moscow.

You know you love it.

Even now, you are being whisked away into visions of that 'one time' of rolling snake eyes with your infantry men over and over against your opponent's expensive fighters or bomber planes to take the key piece of land that would let your tanks berserk through to the capitol.

Zoink, you just took over an industrial complex. Time to start laying down the law, and putting reinforcements down one by one, so they could never take it back.

Victory was yours back then, over your mean spiteful brother. So what, if he took the board throwing it up in the air with the game pieces and annihilating the game before you could finally take over, he knew you had won, you knew you had won.

You are a winner boy. Wear this shirt, and show up to the family get together, point to your chest and say remember this? And put a fist to his face for all those times he lorded over you like you did that one time on Axis and Allies.

If the derby theme were Australia and those were Risk pieces this would totally fit the theme. As it is, I don't think Canada's critical to Axis & Allies. I could be wrong. ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

kar131313 wrote:I really like your design. Why did you choose a Japanese Maple instead of a Sugar Maple leaf?

Because this is a preset brush in Photoshop. ^_^

enin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enin

i've heard it isn't canadian either

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

kray01 wrote:Yes inciting the president of the USA as either Satan or Hitler is acceptable, any and all provocation at free thought or making a social statement representing any one individual other then the collective, I mean free mind is prohibited.

That entry was rejected.

selectedacre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages selectedacre
Re: maple leaf

Curious to know how this was done... ?

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

"Popular" status?

jimiyo

superspryte wrote:If the derby theme were Australia and those were Risk pieces this would totally fit the theme. As it is, I don't think Canada's critical to Axis & Allies. I could be wrong. ^_^

no i agree... canada was totally useless in A&A. thats part of the joke. anyones who's played knows those three pieces just usually sit there, for the whole duration.

which, im not a history major, but would assume that was what happened.

where the history Geeks!?!?! did canada contribute anything to the wwii effort? significantly?

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

jimiyo wrote:no i agree... canada was totally useless in A&A. thats part of the joke. anyones who's played knows those three pieces just usually sit there, for the whole duration.

where the history Geeks!?!?! did canada contribute anything to the wwii effort? significantly?

Upon searching, Canada has an entire website devoted to it. And apparently everyone forgets Canada.

jimiyo

superspryte wrote:"Popular" status?

i think he's referring to the backlash that KenSPT exhibited about Cho dominating the fog.... dominated by hard work BTW...

similar to when you got attacked... miss popular mod ;j

anyone who seems to be getting any limelight, will eventually get hated on... as well as loved... its a duplicitous situation which cannot exist without the other. such is life... i think.

insanecarbonbasedlif

quality posts: 0 Private Messages insanecarbonbasedlif
brizz wrote:Now this is a "simple" design that works! Love it...and I would wear this all the time! lmfao.

Thanks!

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
superspryte wrote:"Popular" status?

I think Blu is referring to the fact that when people like Cho and Gentry are getting votes, often posters chime in that the only reason they are getting votes is because they are popular. Sometimes there's a bit of a pile-on and the vote totals either freeze or start to tumble.

I think it's more about supposed popularity than actual popularity- at this point, I think most of us forum people know that the voters are an unpredictable, fickle mass who mostly don't read the comments or the forums. You can go from being a winner to being lucky to hit 100 votes in a matter of a week, that wuz teh funneh. Derby magic!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

jimiyo wrote:i think he's referring to the backlash that KenSPT exhibited about Cho dominating the fog.... dominated by hard work BTW...

similar to when you got attacked... miss popular mod ;j

anyone who seems to be getting any limelight, will eventually get hated on... as well as loved... its a duplicitous situation which cannot exist without the other. such is life... i think.

Ummm, that's too deep for a Saturday.

insanecarbonbasedlif

quality posts: 0 Private Messages insanecarbonbasedlif
AdderXYU wrote:Except there are about 5000 "eh" shirts on the market. If woot printed this, we'd get lucky 5001

Did I hurt you in a past life or something, or do you just like being mean for the sake of being mean?

KidGrenouille

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KidGrenouille

Thanks, everybody. I appreciate the positive feedback.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

mjc613 wrote:Despite this being an entree' into all sorts of rude comments, eh?, I tuque the plunge and voted for this.

Great job, spryte.

Thanks! I had a lot of fun drawing him. ^_^

skelator818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skelator818
Re: Traveling Abroad

Great concept and funny! I'd preorder if I could.

Come on Bandolier of Carrots!

mihalis aya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mihalis aya
brizz wrote:good lord....why does everyone get so defensive if anyone questions something? I didn't hit the tattle button, just expressed my opinion that this was a stretch, an opinion i'm not alone in. I didn't say it was terrible, i said I didn't think it will make it past the rejectionator, or that - IN MY OPINION - it should. You needn't be so dang sensitive about it.

I don't think my reply was particularly 'sensitive' or 'defensive', though I'll admit you have me mildly annoyed right now. Your own reply showed far more emotion about it than I think mine did. What I did do was calmly explain why I think my entry is valid, addressing your original points.

I suggested using the tattle button because that is the appropriate place for these matters. The tattle button was created to try to take the accusations of ripped off, off topic, and otherwise inappropriate from the derby thread(s), with the added bonus of allowing the woot gods to make sure they know about every little complaint. Frankly, I'm just sick, as a member, buyer, and designer, of seeing these comments in the threads themselves. You may not be alone in your opinion about my shirt, but you are the one who actually expressed it, so it was to you I addressed my reply. It is disengenious of you to get annoyed when I offer a rebuttal of your critique, as if I have no compelling reason or right to defend my work. Rest assured, I will not waste my time in the future. Thank you and have a lovely day.

Edit: I meant to say, and will add now, that an honest critique would be fine. Don't like the colour, the style, the design itself? I'm okay with any and all of that in a thread. Tips to improve, suggestions for next time are even better. It is only the comments which should be using the tattle function instead which bother me. I would actually like getting more comments from people who don't like it, if they are constructive. The 'beautiful!' type are good for my ego, but not good for me to improve my skills.

mollib

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mollib
2thFairy wrote:Being a woman and one who was naturally blessed in the chest, I really am amazed at how many people make this comment. If I see a shirt I like, I buy it. If someone stares at my chest to read the shirt, more power to them. If a design is distorted on your T-shirt, you really should consider getting a shirt that actually fits, i.e., a larger size. Far too many women are wearing clothes that are too tight as it is.

I second this. At this very moment, I'm wearing my Do the Math t-shirt which I know people are going to have to take a minute to read, if they care - and yes, my gifted bewbs will be right there in the thick of things. But that's the choice I made when I bought the shirt. By this point in my life, I'm pretty used to people staring - at least this way they can have a good excuse (and get a good chuckle out of it).

And I LOOOOOOVE this design. I really hope it makes it

ctravers1085

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ctravers1085
sigaru wrote:hm...the only thing that i suggest is that it say "canadian periodic table" on the shirt, because the only reason i might not buy this is because i feel like i'd have to explain it to everyone. i strongly suggest a periodic table title.

EDIT: and after re-reading the ridiculous argument in fable's "devil went down to georgia" shirt design from the last derby, and not wanting to sound at ALL like ctravers, i feel the need to add this: i'm only saying this because it wouldn't make any sense at all [in my opinion]--even abstractly--if i were to wear it in public, and i don't think it would take away from the design by adding the title [as most periodic tables have], but add to it. but it's still your option, and you don't need to. my vote's still there.

Wow the tables have turned have they not, Sigaru. I have to say I agree with you though. Everyone will know that its a periodic table, but not that it is a Canadian periodic table. Also, the font is very small so they may not be able to read the full elements to figure it out.

EDIT: I guess that I'll just have to take comfort in the fact that, in all likeliness, you will never be able to buy the devil went down to Georgia shirt. I'm gonna guess it landed itself in 4th (as it was bouncing in and out of the fog right before closing). Should have had Georgia in it ......

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
jimiyo wrote:no i agree... canada was totally useless in A&A. thats part of the joke. anyones who's played knows those three pieces just usually sit there, for the whole duration.

The Dutch Queen lived in Canada during WWII., so they provided lodging.

Canada also provided many soldiers to fight the German Axis forces in Europe, particularly at the Battle of Dieppe. One of the big scandals in Canada a few years ago happened when someone erected a statue of DeGaulle. The WWII vets got mad since they actually fought in the war, while DeGaulle hung out in London.

intaglio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages intaglio
Re: Canada is Eh-OK!

hmm, i suppose my shirt is just eh-ok, too. oh!