+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

We know what motivates you monsters. We know what goes on in your greedy, grabby little hearts. That's why we've increased the first-day payout for our shirt designers to $1,000, including Derby winners. Get in touch with your inner Gordon Gecko and work up a shirt design that illustrates, examines, or explores that most popular of the seven deadly sins: greed. There's a thousand bucks in it for you if you win. No text this week, and that includes no dollar signs, cents signs, pound signs, or any other currency symbols.

And one other thing: NO PIRATES.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

The Derby #37 Cyberpub. If we're not here, check over there. All are welcome.

First time here? Want to submit an entry and maybe forgot something? Think you're good to go? Read these rules for rejection compiled by derekfilley anyway.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar

Wicked cool! We all love a little greed. =D No text? Awesome!

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$oh boy!!!!!

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot

Way to raise the quality of submissions Woot! Love the idea that you will provide quick turn around to submitted daily ideas too. That's great!

Greed without dollar signs or currency symbols. Interesting challenge!

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Wow, extra greedy motivation now...might convince some folks to do more work for woot!

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom

YES!!! Awesome of you guys to share the wealth. And another cool derby theme. I think you're finally getting the hang of this shirt business stuff.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

tallworm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tallworm

Awesome derby! Love the lack of currency symbols. Should lead to some creative stiff.

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead

And this now means that I will NEVER win. I'll keep trying though.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

AttilaTheMom

Schrobblehead wrote:And this now means that I will NEVER win. I'll keep trying though.

never say never. I think you've got the skills to get there.

KENPARS0NS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KENPARS0NS

Interesting... and I like the added incentive...

eyeslikesugar

Schrobblehead wrote:And this now means that I will NEVER win. I'll keep trying though.

I know how you feel. D= And this also means I'll probably be buying more shirts. <_<

jamescho84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84

While i'm sure this will raise quality of submissions. I don't think it will change the voters. I think we're going to wind up with the same kind of winning designs each week no matter what prize they put out. That is, unless 600 20 year olds happen to buy shirts and start voting every week.

cwarrington

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwarrington

Volunteer Moderator

eyeslikesugar wrote:I know how you feel. D= And this also means I'll probably be buying more shirts. <_<

With the increase in payout, maybe Jimiyo might rejoin us?! maybe...

Schrobblehead

AttilaTheMom wrote:never say never. I think you've got the skills to get there.

That's very kind of you, but I've seen the shirts that get made when there is this much money is to be made. I wouldn't even attempt to submit at threadless or DBH.

eyeslikesugar wrote:I know how you feel. D= And this also means I'll probably be buying more shirts. <_<

Good point. I like the theme, but I hope we don't see 18 variations of the same shirt again.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

Bryan818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818

I'm with you on this one

Please check it out

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp

I instantly have lots of great ideas, but... <sob> they're all beyond my talent level, which is near to none. <another sob>

Should be some great designs cropping up, though. Let's hope those are the ones in the fog!

Schrobblehead

jamescho84 wrote:While i'm sure this will raise quality of submissions. I don't think it will change the voters. I think we're going to wind up with the same kind of winning designs each week no matter what prize they put out. That is, unless 600 20 year olds happen to buy shirts and start voting every week.

You may be right this week, but in the long run I think this will change the equation a lot. They should have banned pirates because I really don't want to see even one shirt about pirates' booty. Now that I said that I'm wondering if I should make that to have a chance to win? Nah... maybe.

mwiseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman

Heh...twice the money, twice the backbiting. Please prove me wrong, people.

eyeslikesugar

cwarrington wrote:With the increase in payout, maybe Jimiyo might rejoin us?! maybe...

One can only hope! =D

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
mwiseman wrote:Heh...twice the money, twice the backbiting. Please prove me wrong, people.

I hope you're right, because I did notice an increase the last time they raised the payout. Let's all agree now to be nice to each other, yes? It's not that hard.

yeeter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yeeter

Greed. Hard to illustrate without $ signs.

You know, I read somewhere that creative activities (read t-shirt design) are usually damaged in their creativity by money rewards. So, I am taking the stance that I am really only entering these derbies for my own internal satisfaction...

just kidding.

VOTE!

mikectc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikectc

Do you think a plain green shirt could win? Im going for it.

ansharp

jamescho84 wrote:While i'm sure this will raise quality of submissions. I don't think it will change the voters. I think we're going to wind up with the same kind of winning designs each week no matter what prize they put out. That is, unless 600 20 year olds happen to buy shirts and start voting every week.

Isn't there a chance that we will see even more people entering simple, popular things like Pacman and memes for a chance at the bigger bucks?

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
mikectc wrote:Do you think a plain green shirt could win? Im going for it.

they already sold one of those, so it'll get rejected.

mikectc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikectc
Josephus wrote:they already sold one of those, so it'll get rejected.

Really? That's weird. What was the context?

AttilaTheMom

mikectc wrote:Do you think a plain green shirt could win? Im going for it.

um, yeah, they did that one already.

ansharp

mikectc wrote:Really? That's weird. What was the context?

They called it Green Space, so they could sell their overstock of green tees.

AttilaTheMom

ansharp wrote:Isn't there a chance that we will see even more people entering simple, popular things like Pacman and memes for a chance at the bigger bucks?

i think pacman (unless obvious parody) will be rejected. So will any meme that gets abused (and we may see a new rule 32 for those).

Schrobblehead

yeeter wrote:Greed. Hard to illustrate without $ signs.

You know, I read somewhere that creative activities (read t-shirt design) are usually damaged in their creativity by money rewards. So, I am taking the stance that I am really only entering these derbies for my own internal satisfaction.
just kidding.

That's a nice theory, but I'm sure it is also driven by competition and the need to find a way of doing something differently. Sure there are other motivations, but extra money should increase the number of quality competitors making the whole thing far more competitive.

easeandgrace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages easeandgrace

I love the burger. You could get it printed at zazzle.com very, very easily. Of course, there's that waiting period... *sigh*

I'd order it if you did that. I know lots of other people would, too.

easeandgrace

"Greed. Hard to illustrate without $ signs."

Yeah, no kidding. Are we allowed to have the image of an actual dollar bill if it doesn't have dollar signs on it? Like just a green rectangle with a circle in the middle? That's kind of the universal symbol of a buck.

Schrobblehead

easeandgrace wrote:I love the burger. You could get it printed at zazzle.com very, very easily. Of course, there's that waiting period... *sigh*

I'd order it if you did that. I know lots of other people would, too.

Thanks. I have plenty of time to check into it.

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
Schrobblehead wrote:That's a nice theory, but I'm sure it is also driven by competition and the need to find a way of doing something differently. Sure there are other motivations, but extra money should increase the number of quality competitors making the whole thing far more competitive.

But the voters haven't changed. A cartoon pirate on a charcoal shirt is a fast thousand bucks. To get better quality over the finish line w00t has to be more aggressive with rejections. A simple "That isn't good enough" rejection is the only way as the rules and voters are now.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly

Good news for the designers!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

easeandgrace wrote:"Greed. Hard to illustrate without $ signs."

Yeah, no kidding. Are we allowed to have the image of an actual dollar bill if it doesn't have dollar signs on it? Like just a green rectangle with a circle in the middle? That's kind of the universal symbol of a buck.

Remember that Canada is now also part of the shirt.woot world.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Schrobblehead

Lighter wrote:But the voters haven't changed. A cartoon pirate on a charcoal shirt is a fast thousand bucks. To get better quality over the finish line w00t has to be more aggressive with rejections. A simple "That isn't good enough" rejection is the only way as the rules and voters are now.

I was trying to ignore that part

I was going to say that if voters want caroon pirates competition will at least give them a variety, but the ravens proved me wrong.

easeandgrace

superspryte wrote:Remember that Canada is now also part of the shirt.woot world.

I live close to the Canadian border, and I can assure the Canadians I know would recognize a symbolized dollar. :-)

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

easeandgrace wrote:I live close to the Canadian border, and I can assure the Canadians I know would recognize a symbolized dollar. :-)

Recognition isn't what I meant. I think most people recognize the greenback. I meant don't forget to represent Canada too. Maybe hide some Canadian cash in there too or something. It's worth more than the US buck now anyway. ^_~

fablefire

quality posts: 24 Private Messages fablefire

Yay. Thank you for the increase woot.