aerodino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerodino
Re: Now the moon..the sun would wait til morning

Resubmit your grey shirt - it's greyt! (sorry, pun intended)

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
2thFairy wrote:Get over it.. if you have a chest worth looking at, it's not going to matter what you are wearing.

I think I speak on behalf of all straight males, most lesbian females, and at least a handful of the rest of the population when I say this is entirely true. Wooters who complain about chest placements may have a point, but the fact is, if you're well endowed, people won't notice the design no matter where it is

AdderXYU

Re: Shell Competition

This is very clever.

Emilily

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Emilily
squidboots wrote:*giggles*! Very creative :D

Thank you!

And based on the amount of rejections Ima make my case to the Rejectorator now:

Please, I'm in college! I need to eat!!! ... no actually the caterpillar is being very greedy by taking all of said pocket's contents. Who needs three coins and a cellphone! Pfft.. where are his manners.

AdderXYU

squidboots wrote:This depicts the Greek myth of Icarus, who was overcome with the sublime feeling of flight during his escape from Crete and flew too close to the sun despite his father's warnings, which melted the wax in his wings and caused him to fall to his death. I see greed as desiring something too much (be it material watch or simply a feeling), just as Icarus was blinded by his own greed to fly higher into the sun.

Resub: Mirrored image and added "Greek Pants" (so I can sleep at night knowing it's undoubtedly PG-13) and sandals.

While I think a good Icarus shirt would be nice and all, I can't see how Greed comes into play.

dsladek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
Amach06 wrote:Is this your first shirt design?

yes and no. it is the first shirt I have designed for woot, but I have designed a few shirts before. never for a contest though.

Headrow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Headrow
Re: Mine! Not yours! (heather gray)

The white version of this shirt shows awesome contrast, but I'd much rather wear a gray t-shirt than a white one.

fablefire

quality posts: 21 Private Messages fablefire
Re: Gimmie!!!

Endejester... that sounds really familiar...

Are you the Endejester of gaiaonline's B/C forums?

Cute entry in any case.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Re: Mine! Not yours! (heather gray)

I like this better on gray.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

GravityJMB

quality posts: 5 Private Messages GravityJMB
Re: Oooo Shiney!

I still love it, and looking at it again, I do wish the placement was in the lower corner rather than the upper... but, I still love the artwork here. You've got a lot of talent!

squidboots

quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
Re: Sexy Greed

"$" counts as text so this will get rejected Might want to resub, as this is a good concept!

lanikei

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lanikei
AdderXYU wrote:I think I speak on behalf of all straight males, most lesbian females, and at least a handful of the rest of the population when I say this is entirely true. Wooters who complain about chest placements may have a point, but the fact is, if you're well endowed, people won't notice the design no matter where it is

well, as a well-endowed lady, i am more concerned with the boobage distorting the image or hiding key parts of the design. not complaining about this one specifically, but it CAN be an issue. i think it's great that some artists do take that into account!

durumcan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages durumcan

I will go as far to say this is the best shirt I have ever seen on woot! Good job! You have my vote!

sailstud25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
Re: MINE!

way to combine the super soaker with the classic, old school rocking horse and jacking-the-box... very cool

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

aerodino

mjc613 wrote:I read on one of the threads that the steak's shadow is supposed to be in the shape of Africa. I am not seeing that.

The grey shadow is Africa, but you can only see the eastern half. I guess the whole concept is a little heavy for the masses.

I am new at this. I entered the previous contest for the first time. I can't even totally figure out layering in Photoshop Elements. I am more of a 2D fine artist. I did the "You took it with you - now what?", also, and I had to redo it because I missed a layer when submitting it. It is a good learning experience for me - and fun.

Amach06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amach06
dsladek wrote:yes and no. it is the first shirt I have designed for woot, but I have designed a few shirts before. never for a contest though.

Nice, hope i can purchase this one at the end of the week. It is something that i would def. wear.

Well there is always next year....

Beefcoat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Beefcoat
Re: You Can't Take It WIth You

I love the artwork!!! The concept is great! My only critique is that the cheese may be a little to big, throws the balance of the design. You still GMV

jbedwar1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbedwar1
AnGeLiCbOrIs wrote:Can you post a larger and less compressed picture of the image? I pulled all these colors out of it in Paint.

On the shirt images .. many artists resize the image using "smart size" or equivalent ... which will resize it, but add more colors and shading so that the image still looks great.

aerodino

Re: Silly Squirrel

This looks a bit like that little guy in Ice Age. Ya gotta love him!

jbedwar1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbedwar1

one of my favorites of this theme so far.

danielkennethlaux

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danielkennethlaux
Re: In Pursuit of the Dollar

Simple yet elegant. I wish I knew you, I would lock you in a room and make you design tee shirts for me all the time.... no breaks.

FoxHoundADAM

quality posts: 1 Private Messages FoxHoundADAM
kylemittskus wrote:I love zombies!!! And I want one!!!

Easily my favorite so far!

aerodino

AdderXYU wrote:I think I speak on behalf of all straight males, most lesbian females, and at least a handful of the rest of the population when I say this is entirely true. Wooters who complain about chest placements may have a point, but the fact is, if you're well endowed, people won't notice the design no matter where it is

I used to have a T-shirt, custom made, with two red stars on the chest. And this was during a point in my life when I was going bra-less! I loved it.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
mjpupillo wrote:i appreciate your rant, as that is the case. it must be the same clip art. i didn't undestand the need to disclose my legal rights to use clip art. thank you for assuming that i did not trace another entry, as i would not do that.

i also appreciate your honesty about voting for original work. i have learned my lesson here and will stick to hand drawn original works in the future.

to everyone who voted for my idea, thank you. next time i'll execute without the aid of clipart. i wish the reason for rejection would be changed, however, to reflect what happened. i did not trace another entry and anyone who fails to click on the rejected image will think that i did.

thanks,

mjpupillo

FYI, there is no such thing as a 'repeal' on a rejection, so I am impressed that you didn't immediately complain and ask for one.

Typically, there is no requirement for any sort of disclosure, unless someone makes a post showing that the image is available elsewhere. In that case, a woot staffer will usually ask for proof that you can legally use the image. Apparently, since noone ever called yours into question (openly), you weren't given any reason to defend your piece, and therefore were incorrectly rejected. In any case, it's info for the future. If you use clip art, not a bad idea to point it out yourself, as it will be less harmful than someone else pointing it out, and MUCH less harmful than being incorrectly rejected. Of course, you can just prevet all of this by doing everything originally from the beginning, but that is up to the designer's choice in most derbies.

makselarts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages makselarts
Re: Now the Moon the Sun could wait til Morning (resub

Resubbed to correct color on shirt.

After collecting all of the stars he desired the Moon..the Sun could wait til Morning.

Headrow

Awesome. I would actually wear this shirt.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 228 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: Greedy Conquistador

Wake up, become a zombie, and go kill that damn penguin conquistador!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

quality posts: 228 Private Messages kylemittskus
nulli wrote:Isn't excess pretty much the theme? This design is great. You have done a great job exposing penguins exploiting penguins. It's an issue that’s so often overshadowed by topics like "Monkey overlords intercepting U.N. banana shipments intended for starving monkeys," and "ravenous snake devours horse." Which are also very newsworthy but this promotes penguin awareness so well, so boldly. It stares directly at those who believe that the penguins are so far away the issue does not matter, and those pro-penguin proponents who receive kickbacks from the penguins to scream foul and demand to take this or that penguin submission down. It stares right at those people and forces us to ask the question. How long are we going to let the plight of the penguins go on?

Excess is not the theme. Greed is the theme. And for that, I I am an un-original person to see how this fits the theme of greed. This penguin has other penguins working for him but I do not see any greed here. I see a penguin, dressed well, with slave penguins. How is this greed?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Headrow

Re: Mine! Not yours! (resub)

"Sorry, I promise not to use white every time, but I just couldn't make myself change it on this one."

... but his wife could! hah!

n3wblock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages n3wblock
Re: Stealerpillar

This is so funny, I want to buy this very badly, this picture is more greedy than all of the pictures of oil in the world! :-)

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
makselarts wrote:Resubbed to correct color on shirt.

After collecting all of the stars he desired the Moon..the Sun could wait til Morning.

Would have preferred Navy, but still a great design. You should have gotten rid of the bounding box there in the shirt comp!

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

eHalcyon

kylemittskus wrote:Excess is not the theme. Greed is the theme. And for that, I I am an un-original person to see how this fits the theme of greed. This penguin has other penguins working for him but I do not see any greed here. I see a penguin, dressed well, with slave penguins. How is this greed?

The tycoon is obviously a greedy penguin...

eHalcyon

jzelts wrote:After this post, and my response, several men chimed in, many agreeing with your more sinister interpretation. Is it her gracefulness can be interpreted as heartless nonchalance? who knows. but interesting to look at one's work again and see something different.

I saw it as light-hearted and I'm a guy. I guess I just don't see women as evil like that. ;)

ejseader

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ejseader
AdderXYU wrote:They've rejected on both sides of the political spectrum. A safer and truer statement would be that woot likes its politics like it likes it's coffee; subtly flavored, sweetened with sugar, and cooled with milk.

In the specific case you're bitter about, woot also has a precedent of rejecting all "animals humping" imagery. I'd say your rejection is more about this and less about their political leanings.

I would have accepted it if that was the sole reason why they rejected my design. But they deleted almost all of my comments and left the "anti-Liberal" comments left by others. I noticed they're rejecting all of the ones about "big oil." I guess we know where they invest their money, eh?

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow

eHalcyon

AdderXYU wrote:While I think a good Icarus shirt would be nice and all, I can't see how Greed comes into play.

I think a good enough explanation has been given. Again, it's not the most common interpretation of the myth, but I think it's valid.

@squidboots - I noticed you put your entry in your signature. For that to be effective, you may want to link it back to this page so people who are intrigued can actually vote.

eHalcyon

ejseader wrote:I would have accepted it if that was the sole reason why they rejected my design. But they deleted almost all of my comments and left the "anti-Liberal" comments left by others. I noticed they're rejecting all of the ones about "big oil." I guess we know where they invest their money, eh?

Umm, no. Have you actually looked at the entries? There are plenty of shirts referencing "Big Oil" that have not been rejected. Of the rejected entries, there are three that have to do with oil, and they weren't rejected because of it:

The New Highway Robbery was rejected for several reasons. Not only was it distasteful, the entire composition was stolen.

The Ultimate Greed was rejected because it's "a bit too political". Note that Woot has a history of rejecting celebrity likenesses; it's been noted before that they would probably reject images of Bush, Clinton, etc. Lincoln was safe because he's been dead for so long.

petroleum jelly was rejected for being off topic. The theme is Greed, not Oil. While many people would argue that "Big Oil" is the epitome of greed, simply slapping on an image of an oil rig does not make a statement about greed.

nulli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nulli
kylemittskus wrote:Excess is not the theme. Greed is the theme. And for that, I I am an un-original person to see how this fits the theme of greed. This penguin has other penguins working for him but I do not see any greed here. I see a penguin, dressed well, with slave penguins. How is this greed?

The key words being pretty much. Excess means more then is required, or needed. Greed is an excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth. So greedy penguins by nature are excessive, and wear two tuxedos.

I don't think I pointed out to or accused you of being unoriginal. Thats must be something you read into, I am not one to put others down

durumcan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages durumcan
Re: World Hunger

I think this shirt expresses the truth. However, as your fellow wooters' reaction shows, the truth is not always welcome.

Good try though. You have my vote.

yeeter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yeeter

I would also like to see a blown up version. I do understand that you are only using 6 colors, but I'd like to see your method -- it looks great.

Bravo, gets my vote.

VOTE!

eHalcyon

fillengroovy wrote:No kidding! Thank God America has the power it does, instead of say, Iran or China. America and Americans do more humanitarian deeds than all of the other countries put together!

Since neither Iran nor China have had so much power, it is pure conjecture to guess at how they would act given such control. It could very well be that they'd be much more benevolent than they are in current situations. On the other hand, it could be disastrous - but we really don't know. As for American humanitarian efforts, the reason why the US does "more humanitarian deeds than all of the other countries put together" (if this claim is true, which I think is doubtful) would be BECAUSE of all the power it has.

brent16 wrote:and china still has child labor....

That's pretty much irrelevant to the message behind this shirt. You should also consider that much of that child labour is exploited by American companies.

tallmidget wrote:ya....i know..i feel bad about it, kinda...but its the idea that popped into my head, and i'm proud it came out right...it seemed like a good representation of greed at first...oh well. at least i'm doing better than last week (all i can hope for is improvement, right?) and this is my 2nd submission, btw.

I think you did an excellent job, and though some proud Americans may be inclined to disagree with the statement, it is truth. An unpleasant truth, but truth nonetheless.