2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
doogfood wrote:I like your idea, and I totally agree on it. However, I personally think that egocentric/ethnocentric would be a better word than greed to describe it. I wonder how many people are gonna bash my comment here....

egocentric.. good word.

leecetheartist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist

My first derby entry. It took a while drawing each individual coin, but I'm pleased with the result. Probably entered too late to really place though. Fun though! Thanks!

Re: This Hoard Isn't Big Enough

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

mjpupillo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjpupillo
amyjem321 wrote:So, did the other entry 11238, by Andy47240, use a clip art monkey, too?

it seems that way, yes. had i realized that, i wouldn't have used the same one. however, it now seems that staying away from clipart completely is the better way to go.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

richpowell wrote:HOLY .... I just checked out that shirt! Weird. There just ain't an original thought out here anymore. *sigh*...at least my guy had hair.

Uncanny, isn't it? Now you see why someone mentioned the similarity. ^_~

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Re: This Hoard Isn't Big Enough

I like the way the coins are spilling out, although I think it might have been better if you'd found a way to avoid the boxy effect at the bottom. Nice first entry. ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

richpowell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richpowell
superspryte wrote:Uncanny, isn't it? Now you see why someone mentioned the similarity. ^_~

Yeah, really! I guess my "fogeyness" is showing a bit, this is really fun. I'm really impressed with a lot of the shirts. Good stuff. I bought one a while back and was impressed with the quality as well. I might mention another difference: my guy never gets the butterflies and flies back to Planet Apeish dejected.

richpowell

Re: Greed and Chocolate

I like that character. Very nice.

leecetheartist

You know, what I REALLY like about this shirt apart from what everyone else is saying, is the expression on the Mona Lisa. She just knows this is a bad idea and is looking on with (somewhat justified) schadenfreude.

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

katiethemac wrote:Well, let me just prepare myself to buy another shirt from TG. =] I have no idea how you do this week after week.. PLEASE keep it up otherwise I'll have to walk around naked all the time, *giggles*.

Ha, thanks but I think this is another 4th place finish for me. I haven't been in the hotness in days.

keyser520

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keyser520
superspryte wrote:Not if it's been rejected as off-topic before. As long as it meets the submission guidelines, no problem.

So rejection means you can resub.... but if it wasn't rejected and didn't win, you can't resub, correct?

leecetheartist

superspryte wrote:I like the way the coins are spilling out, although I think it might have been better if you'd found a way to avoid the boxy effect at the bottom. Nice first entry. ^_^

Thank you. I was just admiring your very dynamic red dragon, most impressive.

Huh, when I was halfway through my entry I had a look in at the derby, not one dragon to be seen, now they're everywhere! Not that I'm complaining, the more dragons the better in my opinion. :-)

What I wanted to do originally was to have the dragon dwarfed by the size of its hoard, the focus being on the hoard, rather than the dragon and to fill almost all the available space. When Woot's waiting period is over I might play with it a little to see if having a non "boxy effect" improves it and then put it in my own shop.

richpowell

Re: Canary Thug

funny1

leecetheartist

Sigh. I wish that shirt.woot would take orders from Australia - I'd love to be able to vote.

mollib

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mollib

This is really lovely!! I'm finding that I'm not a huge fan of this particular theme (although there is some great work that has been done for it), but I really like this one a lot, and would wear it, for sure

tallmidget

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tallmidget
doogfood wrote:I like your idea, and I totally agree on it. However, I personally think that egocentric/ethnocentric would be a better word than greed to describe it. I wonder how many people are gonna bash my comment here....

wait...are u saying i or my idea is ego/ethnocentric? all my design is suggesting is that america is greedily eating up the world's resources. bottom line. that's it. i didn' t mean anything else by it. (not trying to "bash your comment")

i'm not saying america is better than anyone. i'm not saying that we attack anyone. we're just using up resources. its true. if i could use text, i would make it like a political cartoon and it would say "natural resources" on the earth for clarification.

for anyone that would like to suggest that i'm unpatriotic, i would like to add that i say the Pledge of Allegiance everyday, not because I have to, but because i choose to, and i understand what it means to live in such a great nation. if u don't like the design, u don't have to vote for it.

sorry. just kinda sick of the bashing on it.

snarkygal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
mjl9320 wrote:Most self-respecting adults don't wear tee shirts. Don't be angry, just hold out for that occasional winning shirt you do like, no matter how sparse they are. You don't want to spend $10 on a tee shirt every day anyway.

That is bullpucky that adults that wear tshirts have no self-respect. And SamoaJoe is just a Jamescho84 stalker. He only comes out to make hateful comments on his designs.

highgrassfarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highgrassfarm
Re: Unmasked Greed

I've been forced to come clean. I am really the big necked, double boned , alien from the Calcium Galexy. Here, I unmask!

highgrassfarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highgrassfarm
highgrassfarm wrote:I've been forced to come clean. I am really the big necked, double boned , alien from the Calcium Galexy. Here, I unmask!

And I'm really really greedy

dea007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dea007

I love this! Nice job!

waacodemon

quality posts: 12 Private Messages waacodemon
Re: take take take

i like

I once ate a cricket.

waacodemon

quality posts: 12 Private Messages waacodemon
waacodemon wrote:i like

ok, so after lookin at the shirt even further...
HOLY CRAP, i really like it, lol, i hope that if it doesnt win on woot, that another sub-website will print it, im all over it if it does!!

@the maker of this shirt, talk to the guys at pooby.com see if they can hook ya up

I once ate a cricket.

wooterer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooterer
kar131313 wrote:Are the bags clear with something floating in them, or are those shadows showing bulges?

Buldges. Bags with gold coins.

dsladek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
richpowell wrote:Excellent illustration, really funny! I see this is your first foray into a contest here. Me too. Do you illustrate for a living? Let me know, I'd love to chat.
-Rich

Im a student at the cleveland institute of art. and Im majoring in animation/illustration. I just found out about this site this week through a friend. you guys can expect more designs in the future, this has been fun. thanks for your support!

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: No Bananas For You

Well, I feel aweful for mjpupillo, beacuse I know these Monkeys are mostly clip art. For my "Monkey Wrench" design I used a clip art monkey for the head and half of the body. I manipulated the arm to look human and added the wrench. I used the CorelDraw polygon tool to make the 8 pointed stars and a brush tool to make the streaks behind the design.
I have contacted the Woot staff about this. Had they asked me before they rejected it I would have told them as I have never denied legally using clip-art to aid a lot of my designs.
If this prevents anyone from voting for my artwork in the future that is your right for sure and I can live with that. I will still try to be a positive person to others in the forums.
-Andy

dsladek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
surflunesta wrote:Like it a lot...to me it looks very Dr. Seuss-ian. Are you influenced by him?

Dr. Seuss is awesome in his own right, but not really my cup of tea. Im influenced by too many artist to really list and Im always finding more. Inspiration comes from many artists and many styles. thanks for your comments!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

keyser520 wrote:So rejection means you can resub.... but if it wasn't rejected and didn't win, you can't resub, correct?

Not without serious reworking, correct.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

leecetheartist wrote:Thank you. I was just admiring your very dynamic red dragon, most impressive.

Huh, when I was halfway through my entry I had a look in at the derby, not one dragon to be seen, now they're everywhere! Not that I'm complaining, the more dragons the better in my opinion. :-)

What I wanted to do originally was to have the dragon dwarfed by the size of its hoard, the focus being on the hoard, rather than the dragon and to fill almost all the available space. When Woot's waiting period is over I might play with it a little to see if having a non "boxy effect" improves it and then put it in my own shop.

Hee, thanks. ^_^

Go ahead and play with the design before the 60 days. Just don't post it anywhere. ^_~ Then you can have a ready design as soon as you're allowed to post it. Consider posting it on bestlosers.com too.

SydneyB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SydneyB

Beautiful!!

leecetheartist

superspryte wrote:Hee, thanks. ^_^

Go ahead and play with the design before the 60 days. Just don't post it anywhere. ^_~ Then you can have a ready design as soon as you're allowed to post it. Consider posting it on bestlosers.com too.

Thanks, superspryte, once all this other stuff I've had on the back burner is finished, I'll tinker with it. :-) It might even be before the 60 days is up but somehow I doubt it. :-D

*leece heads off to see what bestlosers.com is about*

Cool! Nice idea, thanks.

iris420

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iris420
Re: Love of Money

I love this one. It's cute and clever and the colors are interesting. I'd want one!!!

Carpe shirtem!

jzelts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jzelts
mollib wrote:This is really lovely!! I'm finding that I'm not a huge fan of this particular theme (although there is some great work that has been done for it), but I really like this one a lot, and would wear it, for sure

aw, thanks! very nice of you to say

ElRicardo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ElRicardo
Re: Gaia Grecko

This is a resubmit. My first was rejected for being off topic. It had too many colors, the blur for a distance effect was equivalent to a gradient/halftoning and would have printed badly I'm sure, there was too much going on in the picture and it was obviously confusing. I don't know about off-topic, closer than others that have not been rejected. Gaia is the earth as a complete living organism of which we and all of the living things on it and in it, are component parts of the greater organism. Greed is a virtue of the the larger entity and cascades throughout all its living cells. Natural greed is good, necessary for survival and evolution. Under the influence of intelligence, it has served us both well and poorly, but in the end, natural greed wins. If I had it to do over again, maybe I'd try to show the squid being swallowed by a volcano.

aerodino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerodino
Re: Shell Competition

I'm cheering for you!

woot151

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woot151
Re: The Tycoon of ICE

James Cho, are you from Maryland?

gabrielvw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gabrielvw

This is such an amazing design! I'm actually shocked that it hasnt done much better! For what ist worth- artistically this is one of the best designs I've seen in a long time- great job!!!

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
tallmidget wrote: i would like to add that i say the Pledge of Allegiance everyday, not because I have to, but because i choose to, and i understand what it means to live in such a great nation.

can you say overkill?

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
ElRicardo wrote:This is a resubmit. My first was rejected for being off topic. It had too many colors, the blur for a distance effect was equivalent to a gradient/halftoning and would have printed badly I'm sure, there was too much going on in the picture and it was obviously confusing. I don't know about off-topic, closer than others that have not been rejected. Gaia is the earth as a complete living organism of which we and all of the living things on it and in it, are component parts of the greater organism. Greed is a virtue of the the larger entity and cascades throughout all its living cells. Natural greed is good, necessary for survival and evolution. Under the influence of intelligence, it has served us both well and poorly, but in the end, natural greed wins. If I had it to do over again, maybe I'd try to show the squid being swallowed by a volcano.

Even with your explanation... I don't really get it. ^^"

Maybe I've been staring at lines of C++ code for too long tonight, but I think that your design is too far abstracted for it to work for the theme. For example:

The theme is about greed.
Greedy people like money.
Money can be used to buy food.
My favourite food is strawberries.
I'm going to submit a bowl of strawberries as my design for this derby.

Obviously yours isn't that far out, but I think yours is sort of like that. But seriously - what's with the squid? XP

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

toby8915

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toby8915
jeezpf wrote:I have to agree. I think w00t was a bit too hasty here. This does show greed... just maybe not what they were expecting. I really like it though!

After seeing what has been allowed to stay in, I'm not sure why I got rejected either.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
toby8915 wrote:After seeing what has been allowed to stay in, I'm not sure why I got rejected either.

Is the tree in the middle stealing leaves from the other two? If so, I agree with you, but it really is difficult to see. For me, at least.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
redghia69 wrote:Yeah, took a few tries, but then started to work -- I'm still learning. Rodentia seemed to fit the bill on this one. It's been 4 weeks since I drew anything furry, so you can't peg me for rodents only :-). And an owl seemed right for Gandalf. Thanks for the comment!

You should keep drawing furry things. You're awesome at it.