+ Add a Comment

arsenicsauce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arsenicsauce
tiaerman wrote:This design would be perfect I think without the smaller frog and whatever that is behind it... I can't really tell what is going on there but I really liked the design I saw in the forums with just the bigger frog eyeing the fly...

TBH I felt like there was too much empty space in the composition and was trying to work other things into it to balance things out a little. In my own mind there's a definite story there, but I'm still learning how to get that kind of story into a single t-shirt design so that, you know. other people actually get it.

Netshark, thanks and I was going for a kind of biting-off-more-than-you-can-chew thing, which is greed to me, and something I see in a couple other designs around the contest too. If it gets rejected by the woot mods I won't be devastated though.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: Ben Frankibal

Again, no offense meant, but another ben franklin shirt just got rejected. I'm very curious to know why others weren't, as they're all based off the currency, not just any Franklin portrait. Woot?

Bryan818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818
AdderXYU wrote:According to Shirt Derby Stats:
Derby 20: Take your penguin to work day (twice to vote, plus removals/rejects)
Derby 20: Kick the Habit Day
Derby 28: Kick the Habit
Derby Now: May I Have Some More

So technically 5, though only four "different" ones. I must have just seen it so many damn times during Create Your Own Holiday that it registered as more often. Not to mention the same, other penguin in Travel, Winter, Invention, and Dreams

technically your a pest... but i like u anyway.
i take the derby very seriously but its ok to have fun too... this is a fun entry...
i gave you a break from the penguins for a while.

i think i been pretty original lately

Please check it out

jenny78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny78
KiubezUndermann wrote:I'm not entirely sure i get it... i like the design but i don't see the "greed".

You don't see the weed's root wrapping around the flowers root, in a sense strangling the flower? I think this is awesome, and it fits the theme perfectly. I would love to see this printed.

fablefire

quality posts: 24 Private Messages fablefire
Re: Predator vs. predator

Looks like he ate an umbrella, which, would actually be a smidge funnier. Love your frog style though.

tiaerman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiaerman
MHBoston wrote:Personally, I like your concept and I think it fits the theme well but I'm not crazy about the cartoon flowers. Their expressions look over the top.
Historically, wooters don't seem to like yellow shirts. A design needs to be stellar to overcome the dislike of yellow.

Keep designing what you like. The wooters are unpredictable

Yea.. I personally didn't want to do the design on lemon either but I needed the color for the eyes and teeth... but it didn't turn out too bad. And I would agree wholeheartedly about wooters being unpredictable. Each derby there are atleast 1 but often a couple of shirts that get printed that I'm not sure why... Maybe I will get lucky and design one of those one day .

There are 10 types of people: those who know binary, and those who don't.

fablefire

quality posts: 24 Private Messages fablefire
Re: Emerald Feed

Thanks guys.

I actually draw cute AND morbid (and whatever falls between the two), but I don't use morbid here too much because there isn't much of voter base for it.

jenny78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny78
Re: MINE!

I usually love, love, love all your designs. You are my favorite, by far, out of all the designers that enter the derby. But, you have no idea how incredibly happy I am the your design is on a cream shirt. A CREAM SHIRT! Woooooohooooooo!

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan

GMV for pure drawing skill. Nice to see good art turn up here.

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan

Oh good, an actual well-drawn dragon. There are a couple others posted already but this one's miles ahead artistically. Not only would I buy this, but I could make a batch of my friends pretty happy with them, too.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Re: Step Three: Profits! (chalkboard design)

Yes! I love it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

keyser520

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keyser520

Step One: Steal Underwear
Step Two:...
Step Three: Profits!!!

tiaerman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiaerman

Any idea if there is a way to get the chalk affect in InkScape? I am too poor to buy software.

There are 10 types of people: those who know binary, and those who don't.

KENPARS0NS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KENPARS0NS
AdderXYU wrote:I'm pretty sure "24 hours before the 60 day waiting period kicks in" is 24 hours before submitting your shirt.

(dripping with sarcasm) Ha... very witty as usual Adder...

(in all seriousness) Hmmmm... I guess I'll have to double check my facts... I don't want to run afoul of the woot gods... I try and play by the rules... Quite frankly, I can't even remember where I first read about that... I will let the class know what I find out! Perhaps Adder is right (it does happen on occasion)

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Re: Baby Gots to Get Paid

BRILLIANT! You really turned an "eh" design into a "covet" design. very cool.

GMV and the votes of my kids. And yes, they have yanked out (wiggly) teeth to get the tooth fairy money faster...

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

keyser520

tiaerman wrote:Any idea if there is a way to get the chalk affect in InkScape? I am too poor to buy software.

Not a clue. I perfected that technique when I made the water-cycle entry a couple weeks ago. It took me a noise filter, rescaling, another noise filter, mixed with magic wands and deletions. If you want a detailed explanation, shoot me a PM.

keyser520

SailorButterfly wrote:Yes! I love it.

Thanks! I just hope the rest of the Woot world does, too....

highgrassfarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highgrassfarm
Re: Click Click

This is based on a real life experience. My wife and I were having lunch at a local park. There were about 10 squirrels near the car. So we started throwing fries out the car window for them. One squirrel in particular started guarding the window and chasing all the others away if they came close. I'd say he was pretty greedy. I didn't see any automatic weapons nearby, but I'm sure if he had one he would have used it.

arsenicsauce

Re: (Sel)fish

Wow, it really does seem to glow. I have a little trouble seeing the eyes/expression because of that, but overall it's really neat, I love what you did with the colors.

KENPARS0NS

Re: MINE!

Sweet... I was eagerly awaiting this submission after seeing it in the forums yesterday... Winner for sure!

KENPARS0NS

Re: No Bananas For You

Awwww... that's so sad... BAD MONKEY!

mayoclock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mayoclock
Re: Give a Dog a Bone

With designs like this, you must be a millionaire.

I<3Woot

KENPARS0NS

Re: Dragon's Hoard

Freaking skills, damn... this looks great! Ditch the background and this is stellar!

goelzjs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goelzjs
HotIceCream wrote: I did just to click on your design

Thanks HotIceCream. Just to clicking is a good idea.

KENPARS0NS

Re: Dude, look what I found!

Oh god! that is terrible! I LOVE IT! And the placement is awesome... Well done...

arsenicsauce

Re: Emerald Feed

I really hope this makes it back into the fog, I love how wispy and sketchy it is. Though I admittedly am kind of fixated on snakes and skeletons both, so the subject doesn't hurt.

Loophole3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Loophole3

I can't imagine this will get past the "no copyrighted" material rule. This is straight from the "Underpants Gnome" episode of South Park.

Jambando

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jambando
Re: The New Highway Robbery

I agree fully with Adder on this (that's new). Blatant copyright violation = blatant rejection

mia3mom

Re: Greedy Conquistador

gorgeous work, zenne!

I love the detail work. gmv!

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating

mia3mom

Re: Wyvern's Hoard

lovely! Your dragon fits with my mental images of dragons as colorful. I love your style, it's fun and well done.

(April is Poetry Month, so I had to rhyme)

jwink

quality posts: 39 Private Messages jwink
Re: Greedy Conquistador

Zenne did you specifiy the specific PMS colors to woot do avoid a repeat of "Lady"? I would hate for this to get printed and the fish are yellow or the blue background end up green or purple.

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away

daedalusknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages daedalusknight
AdderXYU wrote:No offense, but I'm somewhat uncertain as to how one design with Ben's portrait from the currency got the axe yet others haven't.

It got the axe. Just took a little longer.

Actually, I think I was the only one who DIDN'T get his image directly from the currency. Here's a small version of the painting I used:

What I did was make a collage of hundreds of tiny dollar-sized rectangles to depict Ben's image. So instead of being axed for using the image on the $100 bill, I got axed for being too far off topic.

Guess it's my own fault, really. I had a much better idea for a shirt but I didn't have time to put it together. Oh well.

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
Re: BEN

Why can't he use this artwork. Aren't most things made by the government automatically public domain?

arsenicsauce

JustJiggles wrote:You're confusing greed with awesome skeeball skills...

Oh, like no greedy evil-minded little kid has ever grabbed a skeeball and run up to the front of the machine to just shove it in there for tickets while the supervisors weren't looking.

...Maybe that was just me. Good design, intaglio, I like his nearly psychotic expression.

mylee712

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mylee712
Re: (Sel)fish

What a greedy little guy :-) Love the design and how the jellyfish looks like its glowing (makes me wish woot had glow in the dark paint. I know, it's gimmicky, but I'm a child of the 80s...what can I say!)

HotIceCream

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HotIceCream

KENPARS0NS

KENPARS0NS wrote:(dripping with sarcasm) Ha... very witty as usual Adder...

(in all seriousness) Hmmmm... I guess I'll have to double check my facts... I don't want to run afoul of the woot gods... I try and play by the rules... Quite frankly, I can't even remember where I first read about that... I will let the class know what I find out! Perhaps Adder is right (it does happen on occasion)

HUH? I concede the point to Adder... looks like even if you do take advantage of the 24 hour removal tool it "in no way diminishes" woot's right to reproduce the content for 60 days... ie: I wish I could sell you 20 shirts sozoones; but looks like you'll just have to wait 60 days like the rest of us... Sad, I know...

Check out the site though... perhaps there is another you would like? you never know...

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Re: Just... one... more...

It's a beautiful design and I love the artistic style of the design, so please don't feel that I just hate your design or anything. I feel the heart balloon aspect is a little off for a greed theme. I would think that the design invokes more of a 'Hope' response rather than 'Greed'. I believe that's because it's so light and relaxed in design. Greed is a deadly sin, and as that's a negative trait, the design is just a bit too positive to pull it off for me.

But I will say, that despite all of my comparison to the theme, I love the piece on its own. You executed your design beautifully and it's very pretty.

KENPARS0NS

carina83 wrote:there is a lot of chipmunks...including my own

Which one is yours? I'll go vote for it... got to keep the chipmunk love in the family...