sailstud25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
sokowa wrote:I know, doesn't stop me from representing the misconception that happened. Besides, it's just supposed to be a funny shirt.

nice somewhat Seussical mutant fish... :-)

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

Discobiscuits

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits
Re: 1970 - First earth day (on cream)

This is a sick design, but cream is not one of my favorite colors

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
superspryte wrote:

Be nice.

That was a joke. This is clearly well done. It just has, er, similarities?

fablefire

quality posts: 23 Private Messages fablefire
daedalusknight wrote:I agree. I do wish that there was a way to see how these shirts would come out, though. Someone posted a list of shirts earlier that looked great on screen but printed horribly.

Isn't there some kind of print process simulation that can let us see what these shirts will look like in real life?

There's no way to know. I could use pantone colors, but I don't want to buy a pantone book. I rely on woot's hopefully good judgement. Out of my shirts, Scurvy printed beautifully, TCTP was great (though the green was a little bright), and Plan B printed awesomely (though I still don't know how they got sun rays on the "i").

@ Loki - I actually tried it in green. Went for the old parchment look instead.

@ Nathan - Glad you like it. Took me awhile to think of what I could use that wasn't copyrighted.

@ mihalis - Ahh... one year apart. Let's go clubbin. =D

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Discobiscuits wrote:This is a sick design, but cream is not one of my favorite colors

How about baby blue then?

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=12851

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

Erynriel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Erynriel

I love it! This one will definitely end up in my closet if the chance arises!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
pwhitwor wrote:The flag didn't move at all once the telescoping bar from which it was suspended had been extended. The fan in the shirt is the one point keeping me from voting for it.

That is exactly true. I'm not supporting the myth here by any means- the hoax idea was silly, but I think the idea behind this design is sound (what it would look like if it were true. The original commented that a fan must have moved the flag, which is why it is in the design.

monkeywithshotgun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkeywithshotgun
Re: 1985

I want this shirt, so bad.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

wonderstew wrote:Did I mention this is beautiful TG?

Good work!

Thanks stew! Congrats on a solid entry and reelin' in the votes too!

fablefire

quality posts: 23 Private Messages fablefire
female wrote:I don't know, by that logic you could put Mario on a shirt because a plumbers hat, overalls, mustache, and the letter M are not copyrighted by Nintendo. Looks like you made it through the first round of rejections though, so you may be good to go.

One couldn't put Mario on a shirt, but they could put on a man wearing a plumbers hat, overalls, and a mustache. I think the "M" hat is actually copyrighted, like a logo. So long as you didn't copy the style of the character, you'd be okay. Generic items like bottles and gems that are used in a wide variety of mediums aren't the same as characters that were created by a company, specifically for that company's mediums.

smithsonia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages smithsonia
Re: 1978

1978 in the house!
/get off my lawn!

Erynriel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Erynriel
Re: 1970 First Earth Day (1)

I like it even better in blue!!

tiaerman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiaerman
KENPARS0NS wrote:HA! This is great... and I love the fact that your model is glowing! nice!

And she is pretty cute. Those are some nice cooling towers. Sorry about the rejection but the justification for rejection is pretty funny

There are 10 types of people: those who know binary, and those who don't.

smithsonia

Re: 1979

I was born in '78 but this is hella badass.
I am a space nerd. GMV. ^_^

LokiBoki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LokiBoki
fablefire wrote:

@ Loki - I actually tried it in green. Went for the old parchment look instead.

ahhh I see. It just seems like there are more cream shirts all of a sudden. I would wear it but it's kind of hard to match cream D:

The design is awesome though =D

Sachmoe64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sachmoe64
AdderXYU wrote:Without going into the whole "copyright" tirade and "draw it yourself" tirade, I would like to note that He-Man looks like a Kennedy when live-traced.

I did use a reference photo but I did this by hand (wacom) and added the sword and shield and tweaked the shadows a lot, no live-trace used. but whatever...

tiaerman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiaerman
LokiBoki wrote:*deleted text* it's kind of hard to match cream *deleted text*

nah... blue jeans go awesome with everything! . Especially the ones I am wearing right now.. they have kind of a brown hue to them that would match this shirt perfectly.

There are 10 types of people: those who know binary, and those who don't.

smithsonia

Re: 1977

Harpo is my favorite Marx Brother, but I've got to vote for this.
I'm going to de-vote all my others, to give this one a better chance.
make that three hard-boiled eggs! (I know, not his line)

PatGund

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PatGund
rabbitjr wrote:May the force be with you!

WHat you may want to do is change the saber so it doesn't look exactly like one from Star Wars. Duplicating a movie saber is a great way to earn the wrath of Lucasfilm Stormlawyers.

However, prop saber makers (like Parks Sabers http://www.parksabers.com/ ) make props that are recognizably light sabers without touching on Lucas copyrights.

Best of luck with the redesign!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: 1977 First Black Miss America

Again, celeb likeness much?

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
tiaerman wrote:And she is pretty cute. Those are some nice cooling towers. Sorry about the rejection but the justification for rejection is pretty funny

What I'm most curious about is if I had submitted this on a male model, or a blank tshirt, without the obvious attention being drawn to the chest, if it would have been rejected. It would have been a boring comp, and got no votes, but I still wonder if it would have been derby legal at that point.

That said, no problem with getting rejected. I knew it wouldn't win, knew it could get rejected, but threw the comp together for fun (after all my real 3 Mile Island ideas were smashed by lack of motivation/abilities.)

Jemmacakes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jemmacakes

my only comment: If you don't know the difference between black self empowerment and the KKK, hon, this country has a long way to go.

I say reject on grounds of copyright infringement, nothing else.

keeeyrist.

drkblkforest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drkblkforest

Chinese Zodiac shirt for the year of the Snake! Includes the years 1917, 1929, 1941, 1953, 1965, 1977, 1989, and 2001. Enjoy!

female

quality posts: 0 Private Messages female
fablefire wrote:One couldn't put Mario on a shirt, but they could put on a man wearing a plumbers hat, overalls, and a mustache. I think the "M" hat is actually copyrighted, like a logo. So long as you didn't copy the style of the character, you'd be okay. Generic items like bottles and gems that are used in a wide variety of mediums aren't the same as characters that were created by a company, specifically for that company's mediums.

I guess you're right. I think I'm just thinking that the context of the those objects together clearly are intended to represent Legend of Zelda. Saying they individually have no meaning may be true, but when you put them together there is no doubt in anyone's mind that you're trying to make and sell a Legend a Zelda shirt. We all know it, it's just then a legal argument along the lines of "that depends on what the definition of is is." The style of the hearts, the exact same shaped sword and crystals, a fairy in a bottle. I remember designs get rejected for less. Calvin and ball weren't copyrighted words, but put them together and you're capitalizing on Bill Watterson's work without any added content. The phrase itself wasn't even legally copyrighted, but it was/is his intellectual property. I can't think of any design that woot printed that was just capitalizing on the original work without making an additional comment on it. Maybe they're changing their stance.

kenjitr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenjitr
Re: 1970 First Earth Day (1)

I like the design-- especially the leaf-- but I'm not a big fan of the way Africa and Europe turned out (random island off the coast of Africa, smiley face of lakes in Africa, no British Isles, etc.). Maybe I'm just picky about geography?

This globe seems to be a similar perspective and a little more accurate that maybe could be used as a reference image? It came from this article on Earth Day.

w: 17 s.w: 16 w.w: 6 so.w: 3

jeannette84xx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeannette84xx
Re: 1982: Thriller

i read on wiki that the music video came out 1984? because thats the year i was born and i was looking for ideas and am thinking of doing something like this

tinxster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tinxster
Re: 1987- Year of the Rabbit

I know that I have seen this image somewhere, I just can't place where...

anticon86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anticon86
thatrobert wrote:If you don't get it printed here, you should try Pooby5.com -- they print the "losers" they like. I'm going to have some of my shirts printed there.

I will definately check that out! Thank you!

HELP ME HELP YOU!

anticon86

superspryte wrote:Bodys?

In a sense of the word, yes.

HELP ME HELP YOU!

anticon86

anticon86 wrote:In a sense of the word, yes.

*giggles* I just realized I spelled that wrong..... Thank god im not trying to sell my font! ;)

HELP ME HELP YOU!

LokiBoki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LokiBoki
drkblkforest wrote:Chinese Zodiac shirt for the year of the Snake! Includes the years 1917, 1929, 1941, 1953, 1965, 1977, 1989, and 2001. Enjoy!

Nice! 1989 ftw =D... I like how the snake devours the dragon since snake years follow after the year of the dragon ! Also my whole family are dragon zodiacs while I'm a snake *giggles*

fillengroovy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fillengroovy
SailorButterfly wrote:How about baby blue then?

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=12851

thanks Sailor. I'm afraid I don't get the above reference about similarities to another design?

tinxster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tinxster
Re: 1987- Year of the Rabbit

I got it now! I know where I saw it! I used it at work! It is a Microsoft Word clipart!

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Re: 1988: Japan Embraces Super Mario Bros. 3

Japan... embraces? Do you mean that the game was released?

Mario as a Japanese character really rubs me the wrong way, for some reason. ^^"

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

squidboots

quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene

1985 is the year fullerenes, which are special allotropes of carbon, were discovered. Fullerenes come in a few different forms, but probably the most interesting one is buckminsterfullerene (they're more commonly known as "buckyballs"), which is named after R. Buckminster Fuller. He was a pretty cool guy. Buckminsterfullerene is made of 60 carbon atoms arranged in an icosahedral form (like a soccer ball), and my illustration details the organic structure including the aromatic rings. Yes, I'm a geek.

EDIT: I have a "geekier" version of this shirt posted here for you hardcore science fans. Please check it out!

jjtenbensel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjtenbensel
Re: 1988: Japan Embraces Super Mario Bros. 3

This is my design based on the cover of Super Mario Bros. 3. In 1988 this game was released in Japan. It is a Japanese man wearing a rendition of the Japanese Hakama Pants which are similar to Marios. He also has Geta Sandals and Tabi Socks. Instead of "M" for Mario on the hat, the red circle is meant to represent the Japanese Flag. It has six colors and the shirt color which shows through in some places. You can view a large detail if you Click Here Thanks!

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Re: 1982

we're *huge* Mythbusters fans here, so we knew about this and you have our vote!

I really like the final product - watched it taking shape in the discussion. nice work!

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

fillengroovy

waacodemon wrote:i really love the design, but dont like baby blue shirts

How about Cream?

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Re: 1970 - USSR performs an underground nuclear test

Great line work on this one! It's definitely a different type of tree shirt.

Very unsettling topic, though you did a wonderful job with it. I like how you used the shades of blue

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

fillengroovy

fillengroovy wrote:How about Cream?

Sorry... Cream?