drkblkforest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drkblkforest
eHalcyon wrote:Technically, your last shirt could have been rejected just for not having the year in the title. That was an instruction for this derby and it's already happened to at least one other entry. So even though yours is decidedly on topic, the last submission was rightfully rejected - just for the wrong reason.

Hopefully you can catch up on votes though - it's a brilliant design.

I'm a dragon though. =P

Ahhhh *palm to face* Well, that makes sense. Thanks a lot for the comments/advice!
Hopefully I don't upset too many dragons with this shirt @_@

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Deliverance2005 wrote:yes...there were monkeys that got rejected last week, and yes the designer said he used clip art. But its interesting how you make it sound like they were rejected for being clip-art when in all actuality they were rejected because there is already a shirt being sold by Woot! that uses those images.

Even so, I think this one should be completely rejected for using clipart. The other designs used the clipart as a BASE. This one is just a copy+paste.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

endejester

quality posts: 0 Private Messages endejester
fablefire wrote:Another gaian! *gasp*

@ endejester - You're right. There just aren't enough good goat shirts. Nice work.

Gona have to re-submit though XD forgot the year! <3
Hello fellow Gaian!

keyser520

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keyser520
Re: 1979 - President Attacked by Rabbit!

4/20/1979 -- PRESIDENT CARTER ATTACKED BY KILLER RABBIT!!

Reported in the New York Times and the front page of the Washington Post.

You can read more about it here and Wikipedia.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Deliverance2005 wrote:yes...there were monkeys that got rejected last week, and yes the designer said he used clip art. But its interesting how you make it sound like they were rejected for being clip-art when in all actuality they were rejected because there is already a shirt being sold by Woot! that uses those images.

Which?

ryckmonster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryckmonster
Re: 1973

... or even the [b/]number itself[/b]. Give your image the title of that year....

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
shadesofgrey2 wrote:Launching of Voyager 1 and 2. Test launch/glide of the Space Shuttle Enterprise from the back of a 747. Hints of pop culture (Close Encounters) but done subtly enough that copyright should not be an issue. Crescent Moon where Death Star used to be.

Thanks for all who voted for the original. I hope that you will vote again.

D'oh! I didn't realize that looked enough like the Death Star to qualify as copyright infringement. I mean, it almost looked like a funky bowling ball.

Crescent moon is a good replacement choice, though.

endejester

Re: 1979 Year of the Goat

Resub for the date! (Becuase I I am an un-original person) <3

endejester

endejester wrote:Resub for the date! (Becuase I I am an un-original person) <3

Ouch XD and what a replacement for saying f a i l

endejester

Re: 1962 - Goodbye Norma Jean

Its very clever but, you may indeed want to tweek that strap on the right a bit at the very least to try and remove some of that, phalic appearence?

daedalusknight

endejester wrote:Ouch XD and what a replacement for saying f a i l

Heheeh... gotta love those filters. They sometimes sneak up on you. :-)

fablefire

quality posts: 21 Private Messages fablefire
female wrote:I guess you're right. I think I'm just thinking that the context of the those objects together clearly are intended to represent Legend of Zelda. Saying they individually have no meaning may be true, but when you put them together there is no doubt in anyone's mind that you're trying to make and sell a Legend a Zelda shirt. We all know it, it's just then a legal argument along the lines of "that depends on what the definition of is is." The style of the hearts, the exact same shaped sword and crystals, a fairy in a bottle. I remember designs get rejected for less. Calvin and ball weren't copyrighted words, but put them together and you're capitalizing on Bill Watterson's work without any added content. The phrase itself wasn't even legally copyrighted, but it was/is his intellectual property. I can't think of any design that woot printed that was just capitalizing on the original work without making an additional comment on it. Maybe they're changing their stance.

Ja, it's pretty cool now that I think about it. The name "Zelda" isn't written anywhere on the detail or the comp - only in my first post. People still recognize the item combo though. I spent about 5 hours yesterday just thinking about how I could do a shirt inspired by The Legend of Zelda, and by the end, I chose the items that I thought best represented the game without tripping on copyrights (i.e. no Triforce). Just looking at the items though, it's also representative of the overall genre that the Zelda series inspired in the years that followed. How many games had the hero wielding a wooden sword? How many games had creatures bottled for consumption or other usage? Most of all, how many games used those pixelated hearts!

After careful consideration, I'm still going to say that there's no real copyright infringement. Calvin and ball weren't copyright to Watterson, but I've never seen Calvinball in anything outside his work. The items on my design may cause people to think of Zelda first, because it's one of the most popular and loved game series of all time, but the items (and even the combo) are not unique to the Zelda series alone.

endejester

Re: 1970 - First earth day (on cream)

This is amazingly well done! My only worries are your fine lines, I worry they might vanish but its incredible!

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

This particular shirt is using clipart that is not allowed to be used for profit.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

fablefire

martenthegreat wrote:you know, it wasn't actually released in here until '87

The Legend of Zelda was actually released in Japan in 1986 on the Famicom System.

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Re: 1979 - President Attacked by Rabbit!

awesome! I'm always happy to vote for an attack bunny!

(too much monty python & too much Bunnicula can do that to a person, I guess)

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

squidboots

quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
Re: '75 USS Proteus leaks radioactive coolant in Guam

Awesome design! You may not be aware that the "navy" background woot gives you on the artist template is not the same as the navy they print their shirts on - it's color PANTONE 532. Just FYI because this might affect you pallet choice (great colors with the background you have now but it might not work as well on the "real" color)

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

ryckmonster wrote:... or even the [b/]number itself[/b]. Give your image the title of that year....

Which is later trumped by: And no text.

That means you can use the weak connection of the numbers of the year for your inspiration, but no numbers in your design.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

squidboots

quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
Re: 1985

PEE WEEEEE!

fablefire

AdderXYU wrote:maybe just on a can? That is pretty odd to me.

What's odder is that coke has copyrighted a colour, but apparently not that big iconic "C", as proved by Consumerism. Or did woot get slapped by their lawyers and that led to this?

That's ridiculous. So hypothetically, could someone copyright every color?

rglee129

quality posts: 27 Private Messages rglee129
squidboots wrote:Awesome design! You may not be aware that the "navy" background woot gives you on the artist template is not the same as the navy they print their shirts on - it's color PANTONE 532. Just FYI because this might affect you pallet choice (great colors with the background you have now but it might not work as well on the "real" color)

I always thought their navy was a little dark! Thanks for the tip- I'll post a version with #532 in a few minutes...

endejester

daedalusknight wrote:Heheeh... gotta love those filters. They sometimes sneak up on you. :-)

Cheers to that <3 Ah well *^_^*
fingers crossed that a few more people like the Goat <3 after all! its supposedly the year of artists <3 *slips over to check out your design*

fablefire

Re: 1979 Year of the Goat

...and... it's back. Yay!

endejester

Re: 1973

Hot damn <3 I would so wear that too! <3 Good god this contest is going to make me feel so dated!

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: 1970 First Earth Day (1)

Very cool design. Your technique with only 6 colors is amazing!
-Andy

justrunfaster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justrunfaster

Deliverance2005

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Deliverance2005
AdderXYU wrote:Which?

my apologies, the shirt i thought is not for sale, but the one last week was rejected for being like another derby entry (not for sale), which would be here... http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=11238 which yes, i found that monkey on the same site i used

daedalusknight

endejester wrote:Hot damn <3 I would so wear that too! <3 Good god this contest is going to make me feel so dated!

Heheheh... Well, as Wootvan said before, this album was on the Billboard charts until 1986... so hopefully you don't have to be my age to get the reference. :-)

And, heck, they reissue it every five years anyway. I saw a 25th and a 30th anniversary cover recently...

rglee129

quality posts: 27 Private Messages rglee129
rglee129 wrote:I always thought their navy was a little dark! Thanks for the tip- I'll post a version with #532 in a few minutes...

Here it is with PANTONE 532c. BTW, if a mod comes on, could you please tell me why woot has its template's "navy blue" as different than what they actually use?

Andy47240

Re: 1975: Pong!- Now with Color!

This has an authentic 1975 color mode.
-Andy

Andy47240

Re: 1976: The Bicentennial Year of the Dragon

This is georgeous!
-Andy

endejester

Re: 1986: The Legend Was Born

Ahhh <3 gaian, gamer and a girl! I high five you XD <3

I'd wish you luck but I -really- doubt you need it with this one :D

shadesofgrey2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shadesofgrey2
daedalusknight wrote:D'oh! I didn't realize that looked enough like the Death Star to qualify as copyright infringement. I mean, it almost looked like a funky bowling ball.

Crescent moon is a good replacement choice, though.

I was hoping it would slide through. Thanks for the positive feedback.

jesusbeard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jesusbeard
Re: Wait what... It's a woman?

It's not off topic. Metroid came in in 1986. You guys are just hating on how sexy it is.

mer

netshark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages netshark

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

rglee129 wrote:Here it is with PANTONE 532c. BTW, if a mod comes on, could you please tell me why woot has its template's "navy blue" as different than what they actually use?

Mods do not necessarily know the answer to that question. It is the color they've decided to use.

haxrox

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox

THis shirt is teh AWESOME!! but your all sheep if u beleive its true. the hollywood studio story about the MOON is a HOAX!!! it was actualy really filmed on teh moon but the goverment WANTS you to beleive it was just filmed in a STUDIO. the government OWNS the media and if you dont beleive that just look at our GAS PRICES. SkekTek ur the man but be careful cause once the people who really run this counrty see ur shirt, theyll hack ur computer to burn down ur house.

daedalusknight

shadesofgrey2 wrote:I was hoping it would slide through. Thanks for the positive feedback.

You're welcome.

By the way... has Lucas actually sued anyone for printing his giant gray bowling ball on a t-shirt before? :-)

iris420

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iris420
Re: 1970 First Earth Day (4)

Great design. I hope it does well. I like it on the grey.

Carpe shirtem!

sentnl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sentnl
Re: 1988, The Human Genome Project

Soo cool :O. I'd buy several.