Netsu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Netsu

"What could be better than the creation of the flux capacitor? I'll tell you what. Nothing! With its supercharged power of 1.21 giggawatts it'll leaving screaming Great Scott. Subsuquently it may leave you stranded in the past wondering how the hell to get back. But if history has taught us anything it is that if you play your cards right and befriend a weird plutonium carrying scientist who strangley resembles doctor wily you just might correct some past mistakes and make your dad's bully wash your truck in the future. or something to that effect"

we are gods unwanted children

digitalral

quality posts: 0 Private Messages digitalral
Re: 1959: The year the music died.

LETS REALLY GET THIS ONE MADE GUYS

RESPECT TO THE BIG 3 ROCKING IN THE SKY

patgirl81

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patgirl81

godierst

quality posts: 0 Private Messages godierst
Re: 1973

Awesome. I was born in 1990, but I can still appreciate this. Long live Floyd!

GMV

melissadrag

quality posts: 3 Private Messages melissadrag
Re: 1970 First Earth Day (3)

Ummm... you might get more votes if you didn't put in so many submissions.
*yes, I know you've changed the shirt color*

nulli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nulli
Patchitect wrote:1972...Year of the Rat.. and who was the biggest rat that year? Nixon for Watergate...

Nixon was a rat. Really Jan. 12, 1913 makes him one.

manncarol

quality posts: 5 Private Messages manncarol
Re: 1977

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard Groucho had died--it still hits me. I loved this guy.

I doubt there are enough voters to make this a contender, but I'm so happy to see there are others with my unusual attachment and affection.

rosebudflowerpower

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rosebudflowerpower

yay!! bucky orbs!

Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene

rmbsmishkin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmbsmishkin

F the law, this shirt is freaking awesome and I want one! Long live Link. Nice work Fable

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
godierst wrote:Awesome. I was born in 1990, but I can still appreciate this. Long live Floyd!

GMV

Glad you like it. Thanks for the vote!

mlander

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlander
Re: 1983 - Thriller Music Video

This design is intended to illustrate the most recognizable, signature dance move from the best selling, most popular album and music video in history- First broadcast on MTV December 2, 1983: Michael Jackson's Thriller. The album "Thriller", which was released in November of 1982, had no corresponding video associated with it until December of '83, so the song's signature dance moves were unknown in '82.

mlander

I'm aware that someone else is using the same song in their entry. This is my first shirt.woot derby entry and it took me a while to create the design, being beaten to the punch. However both are quite different and his is actually the wrong year as you can infer from my write-up

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

You thriller types need to get in agreement with which year the thriller dance takes place in

daedalusknight

Re: 1976 - Best car ever

This is indeed an awesome car... but I bet your sparkly, shining, winged car would look even greater in the same driveway as... the AWSOMEMOBILE!

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: june 9 1991

This doesn't look like it is on a tshirt template. It may be due to some kind of transfer problem when this pic was loaded. Can you resubmit this so it is clearer, and we can see the template?

mjc613

Re: 1977: Elvis has left the building...

It will be interesting to see if Woot would print a porcelain princess on a shirt.

Jewdave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jewdave
mjc613 wrote:It will be interesting to see if Woot would print a porcelain princess on a shirt.

It is my first try at a shirt derby...
Easy to remove if it causes issue. I tried to keep it subtle.

-------------------------------------
40 x Shirt.Woot!
10 x Woot!
12 x Crap!
1 x Kids.Woot!
1 x Sport.Woot!
1 x Wine.Woot!
-------------------------------------

mjc613

Re: 1979 - President Attacked by Rabbit!

When I first read this, I thought of Jimmy Carter and the rabbit both having big teeth. I'm glad you included the rabbit's.

BigKuntry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigKuntry

Couldn't agree more.

bigbadblackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bigbadblackman
Re: 1988, The Human Genome Project

this shirt rox, as a microbiolgist as think its extra awesome

shirt.woot suppling my wardrobe since 2008

mjc613

furaeon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages furaeon

Yeah, tell nintendo that.

uforeader

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uforeader
Myztri wrote:Not to get technical or anything, but the Thriller Video premiered on Dec 2, 1983.

but the album was released in 1982. since it was #1 for 3 years... maybe it could work for 82, 83, and 84!

daedalusknight

Re: 1979

Hi there, fellow Wooter and shirt designer.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this shirt will be rejected because it breaks a Woot rule for this derby: No text.

Please redesign your shirt, if possible, to fix this so that you can still take part in the derby. Good luck to you!

wizard7926

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926
Discobiscuits wrote:It's a parody. I used no actual text found on the gameboy, and the shape is altered to not look like the Game Boy 100%. Parody = OK

Anybody that sees the grey thing on this shirt knows 100% that they're looking at a Gameboy. I don't really see how this is parody.

mjc613

Re: 1946 UNICEF was founded

This is the entry for the earliest year

furaeon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages furaeon
female wrote:I don't know, by that logic you could put Mario on a shirt because a plumbers hat, overalls, mustache, and the letter M are not copyrighted by Nintendo. Looks like you made it through the first round of rejections though, so you may be good to go.

Word. Heh.

asdfqwer426

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asdfqwer426
Re: 1986: The Legend Was Born

wow... i want it so bad. i think i could cry if this shirt doesnt win.

mjc613

rres wrote:You can already buy this tshirt for $5 right here:
Art Derby Entrants

This is the best post of the thread.

wizard7926

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926
fillengroovy wrote:Nope the smallest line on here is 4 pt. Thanks!

fillengroovy, PM.

Apriori

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Apriori
Re: 1981

When it comes to derbies, non-wooters (who will be the ones seeing the shirt) aren't the ones who know the derby theme, so I'm always looking for derby submissions that are obvious enough that somebody else would get it, or random enough that it's just straight-up funny.
This is the latter.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Jewdave wrote:It is my first try at a shirt derby...

Jewdave wrote:It is my first try at a shirt derby...

I see two potential problems with this shirt.

1. The "porcelain princess" is right at the edge of the shirt template. Woot can't print just anywhere on the shirt. On the template they provide, there is a bounding box for the printable area. The box is actually more of a guideline than an actual rule, but from what I've read, they still expect you to stay about an inch away from any seams, etc. So yours is just too close to the edge.

2. The pills might make it not-PG-13 in Woot's book.

I do like the design though.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

bluejester

quality posts: 563 Private Messages bluejester

This looks so awesome. I want it to win, but at the same time it might be better for my bank account if it doesn't. Fable I like this shirt too much I fear I will spend money I don't have yet again! What's a poor (literally) wooter to do!

Zenverse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zenverse

Wow, when my bf opened up the website to look at the derby I saw this shirt and I got so excited. I am obsessed with LoZ and would totally buy this. I like this because it's not entirely obvious that it is Legend of Zelda. There are so many shirts of LoZ that have the Triforce, Link, or any obvious LoZ symbols/crests on it. I think this shirt could still refer to other types of fantasy RPGs and shouldn't be rejected.

Now all I need is an awesome Oni Link picture to hang up in my room and I will be set!

I <3 LoZ :D

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
daedalusknight wrote:Hi there, fellow Wooter and shirt designer.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this shirt will be rejected because it breaks a Woot rule for this derby: No text.

Please redesign your shirt, if possible, to fix this so that you can still take part in the derby. Good luck to you!

It also looks to me like there are too many colours. I mean, from the overlay in the center you have (at least) two different yellows and (at least) two different reds. Each row also looks to be a different shade of grey.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

mjc613

InitialSam wrote:barely any nuclear material was released during three mile island...and it was all into the air.

i hate nuclear misconceptions.

This is as legitimate as the moon hoax entry.

Zenverse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zenverse
Re: 1970 First Earth Day (1)

Beautiful Design. It kinda reminds me of those shirts by Human-i-tees that my environmental club used to sell for fundraisers.

mlander

Re: 1960 The Beginning Of The Drug Culture

it has one too many leaves

Discobiscuits

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits
Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)

What shirt color is that...?

daedalusknight

Re: 1973

Cool... My shirt about '73 made it to 73 votes. It would be better to have enough votes to fog, of course, but I'm glad to be hanging out in the top ten at least. :-)