skaght

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skaght
Re: 1984: Robots in Disguise

Love it! I used to come home from school and watch transformers and g.i. joe and my mom would come home from work, catch me sitting about 4 inches from the TV and yell at me for not washing the dishes. every day.

VOLTACO

quality posts: 0 Private Messages VOLTACO

smurfing!!

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Re: 1981 - First Launch

VOLTACO wrote:I was wondering if someone was gonna do a space shuttle, but I believe it will get rejected for the text.

It'll get more than a rejection of text. The design isn't even his. He just changed the colors:
http://www.ksc.nasa.gov/images/shuttle-patch.jpg

goodedesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goodedesign
Re: 1978

holy friggen carp. i'd buy this one!
to that end, i shall click upon the (I'd buy one)

[url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=8016]

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
JadenKale wrote:It'll get more than a rejection of text. The design isn't even his. He just changed the colors:
http://www.ksc.nasa.gov/images/shuttle-patch.jpg

The colors are different than the official patch, but otherwise it is the same design. And while I did not find a tshirts with the design on it today, I assure you that they have been done several times in the last 27 years.

goodedesign

Re: 1978 - First Test Tube Baby Was Born

ok. 1. this design friggen rocks... i'd LOVE this one. 2. uh... ok, so... it woulda been funny if someone said... yeah, 1978 the first test tube baby was born. But everyone says i resemble my dad. *dah dunt TSSSSS!*
Or, someone could claim.... yeah, it was me.

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
Re: 1977: 2600: A Video Game Odyssey

Great idea, great execution, and you still have that signature style. Kudos!

mjc613

JadenKale wrote:Ok, this is a nice combination without it screaming "political statement". I really like this, Patch.

You took the words out of my mouth.

goodedesign

Re: 1989

what ever, we all know it was Al Gore who invented it. please get your facts straight.

(ps, for those who are super sensitive... 1. get a life 2. I'm joking with wootbot here. it is a joke. i.e. it was meant to make certain folks laugh. well, all folks.)

goodedesign

Re: 1970, Spoon Fork =

hey, did you know there is now a thing called the knork? really, it's actually a nice piece of flatware (if you're into that sort of thing) do a google for it. just a neat invention... but it was like a 2000 – 2007. doubtful that anyone would be designing for those years yet.

mjc613

Re: 1985- Wierd Al Yankovic comes onto the scene

I question the title. Before Wierd Al, Tom Lehrer was doing some lyrical parody of his own.

goodedesign

Re: 1988 year of the dragon

nix the globe and i'd take 3! nice dragon. but the globe makes me think of the 3,729 companies that believe that the globe somehow inherently represents their little small town company.

ok, designers... tell me you don't know what i'm talking about... you remember that first logo free-lance logo project where the person dumped on all you're super-cool ideas and said... "hey, why not do a navy blue globe?"

mjc613

Re: 1978

I'm not sure what this is portraying, but more important, I see text in some of those hexagons.

bluskeyz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluskeyz

Kinda lookin a little Heroes-ish!

AlexIAm

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AlexIAm
stargrey wrote:Is it just me, or does this guy look like he came from Doonesbury?

I think it's just you... Though I can see some doonsebury-esqe qualities in the head, the linework style and body are completely different... no where close enough to imply plagarism. Maybe he lives in dunnesberry?

>insert funny quote here<

anarchyvirus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anarchyvirus
nyadolla wrote:why? they said numbers are okay didn't they? numbers and text are different things no?

They did say numbers are ok: "This week, design a shirt that somehow relates to the year you were born: through fashion, historical events, cultural trends, the Chinese zodiac, or even the number itself."

Woot is turning into a bunch of control omelets.

goodedesign

Re: 1982

i think someone was trying to resurrect the Delorean? not sure if it was 2005, 6 or 7.

Amach06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amach06

PLEASE WIN. I love transformers. PLEASE!!

Well there is always next year....

mjc613

2thFairy wrote:[excerpt]
For $25, tourists were picked up at Love Field airport and taken on John F Kennedy's cavalcade route down Lemmon Avenue before rounding the corner at Dealey Plaza.

From here, a tape of shots ringing out from the Texas School Book Depository was played and Crute would floor the accelerator to Parkland Hospital's emergency room before the announcement: 'It's official now. The president is dead.'
The tour was stopped in 2001 after a host of complaints.

Complaints. Imagine that.

THIS IS GRUESOME!!!!!!!

But to get back to this shirt, I like that you chose this for 1968. That year was also the year of the wierdest Democratic Convention, where the Chicago police went overboard. Your topic is sadder but nicer.

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
littlejetties wrote:Both designs are missing the B.B. gun for shooting the balloons.

Is that how Lawnchair Larry did it? I know on mythbusters they used a bb gun, but I couldn't find anything on how Larry got down.

dekonstruct

SteveOramA82 wrote:great line work!

Thanks SteveOramA82!

JadenKale

fablefire wrote:That's ridiculous. So hypothetically, could someone copyright every color?

perhaps the copyright only extends to that red on that kind of bottle or can?

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
AlexIAm wrote:Gets my vote just because you're an "old" fart like me! Very depressing to see all the 80s stuff!

Thanks. If you like the design, try to get the word out, since it looks like with Zelda and the Genome charging up the charts, it's gonna be a battle between Thriller and me for third or fourth (or fifth when Cho gets an entry in)... and it doesn't look good with me out of the hotness...

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
anarchyvirus wrote:They did say numbers are ok: "This week, design a shirt that somehow relates to the year you were born: through fashion, historical events, cultural trends, the Chinese zodiac, or even the number itself."

Woot is turning into a bunch of control omelets.

that is offensively rude.

you're wrongly parsing their grammar. woot has made it clear, REPEATEDLY, that numbers and other symbols are considered as text.

wonderstew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wonderstew

Had to google Doonesbury.

Please note the date. I'm 26. I haven't picked up a newspaper since middle school.

Shaving.

Torvik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Torvik

I'd buy it, but I think it's a bit too complex. If it didn't have the trike in the for-front, I'd be all over it!

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

Great combo job Z & C
-Andy

JadenKale

goodedesign wrote:ok. 1. this design friggen rocks... i'd LOVE this one. 2. uh... ok, so... it woulda been funny if someone said... yeah, 1978 the first test tube baby was born. But everyone says i resemble my dad. *dah dunt TSSSSS!*
Or, someone could claim.... yeah, it was me.

ROFLMAO Thanks! I think the first use of in vitro meant they still used the couple's egg and sperm, so theoretically, you could still look like dad, but I loved my initial reaction to that comment. So I've gotta ask, is your head long and skinny or is it your whole body? LOL

dekonstruct

Re: 1960 The Beginning Of The Drug Culture

Gotta disagree with the drug culture starting in the '60s. The beats were doing drugs, and the flappers before them.

Andy47240

Re: 1974 - year of the tiger (black)

I really like this a lot. I liked the orange shirt too, but I live really close to Cincinnati and all I could think of with that one was the Bengals football team. The Black shirt really gives it it's own identity. Great Job Artulo!
-Andy

dekonstruct

Re: 1970, Spoon Fork =

This is why this derby topic is so great. First you get an awsome spork design, and second you get to learn facts like when the spork patent was filed... neat!

JadenKale

Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)

I've gotta ask, did you make those from soccer ball shapes? Because they do look like clear soccer orbs.

dekonstruct

Re: 1970. First Earth Day (2)

This is the better of the two earth days, well done! My B-day is earth day and I am sad to have not been born in 1970, but I couldn't have done a better design, so it's all good.

Andy47240

Re: 1971 - World Record Motorcycle Jump

Evel was my hero! I was so excited when I got this autograph from him a few years back. I mailed him and a week later it was in the mail. I wish I could have met him.
Anyway Shan, I really like this design.
-Andy

dekonstruct

Re: 1970 - USSR performs an underground nuclear test

woah, you're on a roll fillengroovy, I love how you handled the undergound aspect of this. It makes a really great design element.

Andy47240

Re: 1976 - Best car ever

Pretty cool design Bunt.
-Andy

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
Andy47240 wrote:Evel was my hero! I was so excited when I got this autograph from him a few years back. I mailed him and a week later it was in the mail. I wish I could have met him.
Anyway Shan, I really like this design.
-Andy

Oh wow, it even says To Andrew, how cool You're lucky you even got a response, let alone such a good one...you always hear stories of how kids wrote to their favorite athlete or celebrity and never hear back from them.

In Feb. 1971 he jumped 19 cars to successfully break the world's record. A little bit after that he tried to jump some Pepsi trucks and I guess that's where he had his first major wreck.

The morning show I listen to used to have him on quite often, right up to several days before he died and he was always a good sport and so nice.

Webfoot08

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Webfoot08
Re: 1988, The Human Genome Project

Incredibly cool design. Hope it wins!

mjc613

dekonstruct wrote:Gotta disagree with the drug culture starting in the '60s. The beats were doing drugs, and the flappers before them.

Drugs were on college campuses in the 50s for certain. But I guess it depends on your definition of drug culture.Drugs came out into the open in the 60s, especially after Timothy LEary's book came out in 1964.

martenthegreat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages martenthegreat
fablefire wrote:The Legend of Zelda was actually released in Japan in 1986 on the Famicom System.

I know that, but it wasn't release here (where woot can ship) until 87. Just fighting for my birth year, really.