jbridgwood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbridgwood
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=13044]1977 - charlie

if things don't work out here...can I buy this shirt anyways?

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Re: 1984: Duck Hunt

this is the best 'duck hunt' parody that anyone has attempted thus far. Great job Cho!

JadenKale

dekonstruct wrote:This reminds me of the TV show Jem for some reason... not that I've ever watched it, it was on after transformers... seriously.

I like it though, GMV!

Thanks for the vote...

Had it been a real Jem reference at all, the hair would HAVE to be pink.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: space 1967

1967. In the same year we were gearing up for space flight with Lunar Orbiter 3, Apollo 1, and Apollo 4, the hippie movement exploded with the "Summer of Love" in San Francisco. I'm trying to capture that contrast with this shirt.

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
JadenKale wrote:Thanks for the vote...

Had it been a real Jem reference at all, the hair would HAVE to be pink.

I think this is nicely cosmic. Luckily not even close to My Little Pony territory. Plus it has flames, which make it go faster. :-)

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
jimiyo wrote:nice art!

From what I've read, you're like a wootshirt legend, so thanks. Some votes would be nice, too...

taeylor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taeylor
Re: 1959: The year the music died.

I hope so dearly that this one wins. Buddy Holly is my hero. GMV.

Toadlet

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Toadlet

I like it, but it looks like 7 colors?

I appear to be melting.

NathanOfLight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NathanOfLight
fablefire wrote:Of course not. They'd be horrible lawyers. If I thought they were love-and-peace hippies, I wouldn't have looked into intellectual property case study again for this piece. Yes, the piece should remind people of LoZ because that's my take on the theme. If it didn't represent LoZ, I would've been rejected for being off theme. They can sue, but I'd be interested to know how they plan to stake a claim on the combination of objects that are found in RPGs everywhere.

Here's my $.02 -

If it's still here, Woot must think it's okay to print.

* Fable's depiction of the wooden sword can in no way be a problem. Why? Because in the game you see a simple sword - this design is the designer's own vision. In the game the sword doesn't have the sides that go downwards (on the handle).

* Bottle - you can't copyright a bottle. And in the LoZ game, there's no cork like that. There is one in OoT, but it's a bottle - they exist everywhere.

* The faerie itself - I thought this was a problem, but there is one important detail you have to look at. In the games, the faeries have TWO pairs of wings. One large, with one smaller at the bottom. This shirt uses only one pair of curved, almost birdlike wings. Also, the body of the faerie in the games (OoT --> PH) is a solid circle. This design depicts a faerie whose body isn't a perfect circle - it has "frays" or sharp edges.

* Rupees - Yes, anyone with eyes can tell they're meant to depict them. But real rupees in the games have 4 ridges extending from the center on the sides to the edges. If you look at the shirt, Fable has a ridge drawn in by the center points. This means that they are depicted as shapes, similar to the "marquise" cut for gems.

But if you're still not satisfied with that argument - rupees are dual-sided I believe. Nowhere in Fable's design does he show that the shapes have both sides raised. So he could argue they are shapes that have one flat side, and one that is raised. Look at the shape touching the side of the sword - the other side isn't raised, it appears perfectly flat.

* Pixelated hearts - Nintendo didn't come up with the heart shape. The heart shape was made to look that way because of the limitations of the NES and its wonderful 8 bits. The heart shape on the shirt is slightly different (VERY slightly). IP does include shapes though. So if you had a Coca-Cola bottle shape, you could get in trouble for using it in your shirt.

With that said, if Woot does have a problem with anything, I think all you'd have to do is rework the hearts so that they are actual heart shapes and not pixelated. If that was done before printing (Like I said, if they had a problem they would've knocked it out already), there would be little potential for problems.

I don't think they'd strip you of the win because of a mistake - IP can be a complicated issue. But if they are worrying, that'd be a good safeguard move.

--Nathan

PS - I wasn't able to find many examples, but regarding the use of those objects in video games - Super Mario 2 used hearts, but it is owned by Nintendo. It seems a lot of these objects were made or licensed by Nintendo. But like I said, I didn't find all examples out there, and I think it'll be fine.

taeylor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taeylor
Re: 1988, The Human Genome Project

Awesome. I wouldn't wear one, but I definitely would make my boyfriend wear it all the time. I'm such a science nerd.

jamescho84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
Toadlet wrote:I like it, but it looks like 7 colors?

The darkest color uses the shirt color. Thanks for the comments and votes everyone.

ntapias

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ntapias

Awesome, just awesome!

chainofcommand02

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chainofcommand02
Re: 1985: flux capacitation

Are those fallopian tubes? Looks like a clinical drawing to me.

bunt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bunt

Thank you.

yeeter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yeeter
ejtracer wrote:The spork surely made 30,000 years of human evolution relevant!

But I hate red shirts

Yeah, but it's a red-checked tablecloth pattern! That should make up for being so very red...

VOTE!

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
Re: 1984: Big Brother is Watching You

Razela wrote:Does it come with the hot guy?

yes.

(beware though... everyone's hot on the internet)

jpolson wrote:Mmm....not bad. It looks a bit like part of Glados.

I love portal.

Discobiscuits wrote:Had no idea what this meant, so I had to look it up. Needless to say, I enjoy the design. The halftones in the background look great.

Definately worth the read if not for the knowledge, then for all of the pop culture references you never knew you were missing out on (this goes for all classics.)

Turbotuff wrote:Hey Derek, congrats on the 24 this year, just turned 24 on the 9th myself... I would have to get this shirt just for the year.

And I still can't even rent a car

Not quite 24 yet, but it's coming.

The closer I get to 25, the more often I'm left needing to rent a car... Darn you providence!

mjc613 wrote:I was waiting for someone to do something about this book. Just don't know about wearing Big Brother spying on me from the toilet. It's a great idea for a drawing though.

Where else would Big Brother spy on you? ;-)

This shirt proves what I set out to prove every week... I just don't get you woot voters ;-)

Check out my blog:Here!

mellian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mellian
Re: 1975

I figured out everyone else, but I can't place the guy beside Nixon. Who is he?

thanks!

ugomona

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ugomona
Re: 1976 - Best car ever

I hate to be a killjoy, but the car is a 77-78 Trans Am. The 76 had round headlights.

derekfilley

mellian wrote:I figured out everyone else, but I can't place the guy beside Nixon. Who is he?

thanks!

jaws ;-)

yeeter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yeeter
Re: 1989 - first episode of Seinfeld

"But I don't wanna be a pirate!" (in my best Seinfeld whine)

VOTE!

RochMH

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RochMH
fablefire wrote:You can copyright a frequency in the visible portion of the light wave spectrum?

yep, Pepsi blue and Kodak yellow are two I know of; and obviously Coke red

melissadrag

quality posts: 3 Private Messages melissadrag
Re: 1985: flux capacitation

Just looks slightly like that certain part of a male body...

hercules8711

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hercules8711
Re: 1988- It's a bird, it's a plane

This design is awesome, the F-117 is an amazing aircraft. Would most certainly buy one.

snarkygal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
rushblume wrote:Here's a little thank you for all the support! Much appreciated!

VOTE FOR THRILLER!

Now that is funny!

jamescho84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84

You were right Toadlet, there was 7. Thanks for saying that or else it could've been days before rejection. Thanks for the votes and revotes.

justone73

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justone73

I must say this is quite awesome... great twist on a classic game (and it makes a unique t-shirt too)

Definitely something I would wear

tabacco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tabacco

I would buy this one in an instant, but the design is WAYYY too big.

derekfilley

jamescho84 wrote:You were right Toadlet, there was 7. Thanks for saying that or else it could've been days before rejection. Thanks for the votes and revotes.

I like it.

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom

this was one of the only video games I was good at. Between your take on the idea, great design work, the gazillion geese around here right now, and my memories of playing Duck Hunt, you've absolutely gmv.

when did I get old enough that people can be more than 10 yrs younger than me and incredibly successful? We're not touching that some of you are closer to my daughters' ages than mine... /tangent

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

snarkygal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
wootvan wrote:Beware...Prince sues everyone!

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9778087-7.html

and

Once more!

I think Woot would be safe. Prince cannot claim he owns the copyright on purple raindrops. I think that would be a bit much. The design does not reference his song in any way.

changwatch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages changwatch
Re: 1979

YES!! I had this game on my Atari 2600! Come on Fhqwhgads!

I have purchased some shirts on shirt.woot.

JadenKale

daedalusknight wrote:I think this is nicely cosmic. Luckily not even close to My Little Pony territory. Plus it has flames, which make it go faster. :-)

yay!!!! I'm glad the flaming mane is getting much needed attention.

derekfilley

NathanOfLight wrote:Here's my $.02 -

If it's still here, Woot must think it's okay to print.

woot routinely waits till Monday or Tuesday to reject fogged entries (though in their defense, they have been getting a bit better of late.) They have their own lawyers if not on staff, than at least available for lawyery type questions.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of this shirt.

I like fable, I like zelda, I dislike creme. This shirt gets 2/3 of each thmb up ;-)

JadenKale

Re: 79 Was a Super Year

Superman came out in '78... plus, you can't use any text or the Superman logo due to copyright issues.

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
derekfilley wrote:jaws ;-)

You stole my witty reply. :-)

martiedawn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages martiedawn

My BF wears a t-shirt that has duck hunt cover on it. I love it, but i must say I love this more. The only question I must ask myself is "Show him up or be a nice GF and buy him one?" It would be weird if I bought one for each of us, like those families at Disneyland that all wear the same day-glo color t-shirts despite the early 90's being over. But I digress, awesome shirt! GMV!!

JadenKale

mjc613 wrote:YAY!!!! My only concern is that there might be copyright issues portraying those 3.

They were rejected for being used before in a derby (rather recently too.)

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: 1959: Warhol's (Stamped) Lips

Oh.. WOW!! This is greatness!

galleywest

quality posts: 1 Private Messages galleywest

I like that it represents Atari without any "pixelated" artwork. It can be done!

Love it. Want it. Voted for it.

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo

nice!

you shoulda made hommies jacket all pink and then post that shiiiii over at emptees. they heart everything pink and teal! you might have to throw some puke on there too, but thats make it money.

word!