daedalusknight

quality posts: 3 Private Messages daedalusknight
twincarma wrote:cho not doing animals would be like monet doing portraits, or picasso doing landscapes. He most likely could do something else but animals are his thing.

I realize that Monet isn't KNOWN for his portraits, but he was a damn good portrait artist:

http://www.abcgallery.com/M/monet/monet1.html

yodathefrog28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yodathefrog28
superspryte wrote:...why would you do your design at work?

because that's what I do

goingfordistance

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goingfordistance
Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)

Hey! Harry Kroto (the discoverer) just spoke at my school! This shirt is awesome.

Do you have a Caution Octopus shirt? Men's small, perhaps?

sickdog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sickdog
Re: 1982: Thriller

Love the yellow eyes...I too was born in 1982 and used to watch this video over and over (had it on VHS). It used to scare me when his eyes turned to yellow! lol. GMV!

daedalusknight

frantix wrote:I can't pass on Gilmour and Floyd either. I just hope this doesn't come into any kind of issues with copyright even tho it's not a triangle.

Glad you like it.

No copyright on rainbow colors, I'm fairly sure. It's a completely self-created eclipse that happens to be acting in the same way as a prism. :-)

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
Re: 1979: Alien the Movie . . .

Spoof on Alien the movie
Can you believe it's been that long since it was released?

daedalusknight

frantix wrote:Thanks for the link.. I listened to a few things on the Rollins page and thought the I Know You was very cool. Had to listen being a very big NIN fan too.

You're welcome. Yeah, Rollins is seriously cool. Be sure and check out his spoken word albums/DVD's. He's also an amusing writer as well.

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
Re: 1979: Alien the Movie . . .

I don't get the ice cream, but awesome drawing!

Check out my blog:Here!

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
derekfilley wrote:I don't get the ice cream, but awesome drawing!

thanks. Nothing to get really. Just had to make it spoofy enough. He's sharing with his favorite facehugger ;)

SydneyB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SydneyB
JadenKale wrote:Hopefully you have them spaced that way on your artwork, Sydney. They don't just move your design around. it has to stay proportionally within the 16x20 inch file you send them. Hopefully the earth is not too low. Woot has some restrictions as to how far low on the shirt they'll print.

This is the 2nd Derby I have entered (The first being the one with the words. Last week's competition was SOO awesome, it would have been total folly for me to even try).
I HOPE I have the placement right in the file. I wish I could have gotten this up sooner, but it took me 3 straight days working on it. I would LOVE to win, of course, but I know you guys are really great, and I'd be very happy with just a decent showing of votes. (SO VOTE FOR ME, PLEASE!! ;) )

Thank you for your comments and advice, Jaden!!!

SydneyB

LOL! Great concept! :D

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Re: 1988, The Human Genome Project

The Human Genome Project officially started in 1990. It unofficially started in 1983. Where did you get 1988?

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

SydneyB

This is beautiful!

Did you do this all on the computer? Or was it pencil art that you scanned in?

I am asking because I am still trying to learn how things work. Thank you

sundbe10

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sundbe10
superspryte wrote:The Human Genome Project officially started in 1990. It unofficially started in 1983. Where did you get 1988?

This site said it was initiated in 1988.
http://www.ipn.uni-kiel.de/eibe/ENGLISH/U14.HTM

sentnl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sentnl
superspryte wrote:The Human Genome Project officially started in 1990. It unofficially started in 1983. Where did you get 1988?

It was initiated in 1988. Your article says it began "formally" in 1990....in 1988 an organization was formed that was basically the roots of the Human Genome Project.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: 1983: Year of the Boar Resub

This reminds me of political cartoons from the early 1900s. The same fine artwork that conveys a strong message despite how much time has passed. However, those cartoons did not show animals or people in Asian martial arts wear.

outlawmoogle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages outlawmoogle
jenny78 wrote:I would love to agree with you because I get tired of seeing an animal design win every week, but I really don't think anyone with eyes could deny that Cho has incredible talent.

He has talent, I just think some people are frustrated seeing the same artists win every week. Which is also probably why Woot upped the prize money to $1000 to try to attract new designers.

kindalikeyeah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kindalikeyeah
eHalcyon wrote:Zenne, why do you keep getting knocked out of the fog? It's all your fault, I know it. Just stay up there!

I see this shirt not close to winning anymore, and then I see the shirts that are winning and I just have to laugh at the whole thing...

It certainly is a strange world we live in.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Re: 1984-year of the rat

Why does the rat look like a zombie but the rest look normal?

*shivers*

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

sentnl wrote:It was initiated in 1988. Your article says it began "formally" in 1990....in 1988 an organization was formed that was basically the roots of the Human Genome Project.

But mine's also the official government website. I'd trust that over random sources. Makes it a little misleading. The design is no less cool but I think it's innacurate.

EDIT: See my edit below also. If you read the article that website is the abstract for, it also says the HGP began in 1990.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

sundbe10 wrote:This site said it was initiated in 1988.
http://www.ipn.uni-kiel.de/eibe/ENGLISH/U14.HTM

I'll trust the US government website and countless other sources over a single European website. Not everything on the internet is accurate; be sure to check for multiple sources.

EDIT: It says that was the founding of HUGO, the organization that did the project...not that it started that year. I just clicked on and read the article that abstract is for and it also says the HGP started in 1990.

highgrassfarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highgrassfarm
Re: 1960 - Year of the Rat

This is not a pirate. Everyone knows rats cannot be pirates. After all, who would turn over their booty to a rat? Sometimes rats dress as pirates....really!

SydneyB

This is lovely!! Even the people who do not recognize it for what you intended, it is just a beautiful, geometric design. Nice use of colors and space. I would definitely buy it!!

enin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enin

originally it was just the brown on blue
the white helped it pop off the shirt though

i used a drawing tablet and photoshop to draw it

Charleenarandall

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Charleenarandall
Re: 1975

It's a shame the Humpty Dance didn't come out in 75. I'd love to see Digital Underground and Nixon on the same shirt.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: 1959: Invention of the Dyson Sphere

Larry Niven and the rest of us thank Freeman Dyson for the idea of the Dyson Sphere, too bad it will take all the mass of the solar system to create one.

sundbe10

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sundbe10
superspryte wrote:I'll trust the US government website and countless other sources over a single European website. Not everything on the internet is accurate; be sure to check for multiple sources.

EDIT: It says that was the founding of HUGO, the organization that did the project...not that it started that year. I just clicked on and read the article that abstract is for and it also says the HGP started in 1990.

Just type "Human Genome Project 1988" into google, their are multiple sites that say it began in 1988.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: 1969- Great Moon Hoax

Thanks for the support, folks! There are a lot of good designs, so I'm honored to be in the fog at the moment.

Graye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Graye
sundbe10 wrote:Just type "Human Genome Project 1988" into google, their are multiple sites that say it began in 1988.

Just type "lunar landing" or "moon landing" in google, there are multiple sites that say it was faked.

The fact that there are many misinformed people with internet access does not make a thing true.

Discobiscuits

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits
Re: 1959: Invention of the Dyson Sphere

This is pretty psychedelic

QuigglyPhD

quality posts: 0 Private Messages QuigglyPhD

I want to know if you use illustrator for your final designs, or some other program? I'm kinda new to this whole web-publishing of my work and the detail in your work is amazing. I can't seem to get my designs to look this crisp or clean.

Discobiscuits

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits
Re: 1984-year of the rat

that rat is crazy as hell./

QuigglyPhD

quality posts: 0 Private Messages QuigglyPhD

I love this design - I am an Alien franchise fanatic. Alien might be a trademarked image of HR Geiger though so I hope it isn't rejected. I know I'd buy this shirt.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

sundbe10 wrote:Just type "Human Genome Project 1988" into google, their are multiple sites that say it began in 1988.

All of the reputable sources say it was first "articulated" then or something similar. They all go on to say it started in 1990.

twincarma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twincarma
daedalusknight wrote:I realize that Monet isn't KNOWN for his portraits, but he was a damn good portrait artist:

http://www.abcgallery.com/M/monet/monet1.html

true,
that was what i was meaning. Im sure cho can do something else very good to but why

twincarma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twincarma
outlawmoogle wrote:He has talent, I just think some people are frustrated seeing the same artists win every week. Which is also probably why Woot upped the prize money to $1000 to try to attract new designers.

actually imo some people are more jealous that cho wins and gets the money each week. But he is an artist so why shouldnt he win. Most weeks there arent 3 shirts really worthy of printing.

rushblume

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rushblume
Re: 1982: Thriller 2

The enthusiasm for the "Thriller Shirt" has been incredible, but some have asked for a more subtle design. I present to you "Thriller 2" — and I'm 'thrilled' with the new design!

This shirt has been redesigned to include smaller "Zombie Michael Jacksons" arranged in two rows across the chest.

Thanks to everyone for the great support and feedback. I debated doing this redesign, weighing the effect it might have on the original entry, but I really just wanted to offer the best possible shirt for everyone... so once again, thank you!

Please help me to get the word out if you're pumped about the new design!

sentnl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sentnl
superspryte wrote:All of the reputable sources say it was first "articulated" then or something similar. They all go on to say it started in 1990.

Dude, you're both right. The organization that put together the Human Genome Project started in 1988...so you could say it started there. Or you could say it formally started in 1990 when that organization presented their plan for the project to congress. Either way, it started in some year, and the date isn't on the shirt lol. It's a sweet shirt, and I must have it O_O.

darkbladearts

quality posts: 2 Private Messages darkbladearts
Re: 1976: The Bicentennial Year of the Dragon

I think this would be AWESOME if the red didn't bleed past the outline of the dragon.

daedalusknight

superspryte wrote:EDIT: It says that was the founding of HUGO, the organization that did the project...not that it started that year. I just clicked on and read the article that abstract is for and it also says the HGP started in 1990.

HUGO (Human Genome Organisation) was started in 1989, though, wasn't it?

I could be mistaken.... or maybe the site has it wrong.

Anyway, Woot's not going to disqualify the shirt because it got the year wrong, are they?